Psych Ward: Warden's Edition expansion now available for Prison Architect!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DavyDavy

Community Developer
Paradox Staff
Sep 25, 2019
Paradox Forum banner.png

Today, we released Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition - the new expansion for Prison Architect that introduces the first type of original and unpredictable inmates, new prisoner behavior, and enhanced management features.

This expansion comes along with a free content update that adds extra objects, walls, floors, bridges and more! You can find the detailed patch notes of the free update here!

In Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition, the Criminally Insane have arrived with their own unique traits. To house these unpredictable inmates, players can build a dedicated wing with padded cells, hire Psychiatrists with trained Orderlies, develop treatment sessions, and outfit their prisons with right tools to ensure their needs are met. Inmates must be treated with care or they can turn violent, vandalize, or even attempt to escape. Regularly subjecting your regular inmates to harsh conditions can cause them to turn criminally insane.

Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition Key Features
  • Plead Insanity: Criminally insane inmates are unpredictable, require special care, and have their own Reputation traits for you to consider when building your prison. Let them co-exist with the general population or lock them away in a padded cell, how you manage their needs is up to you!
  • Shrinks: Any prison holding the criminally insane needs a team of Psychiatrists and trained Orderlies to keep everything under control. These valuable prison staff can sedate rowdy prisoners or pull out the straitjackets when things get too rough.
  • Doctor’s Note: Provide counseling to the criminally insane with the new Psychiatrist’s Office and new consultation Programs. Improve their sessions by upgrading the office with leather sofas, medicine cabinets, Rorschach tests, and more.
  • Good Behavior: Your inmates now have a wide range of new behaviors players will need to manage. They start out harmless, but if left untreated, they can turn violent or attempt to escape.
  • It’s Gone Viral: Treat your regular inmates with care. Subjecting your inmates to excessive suppression or punishment can cause them to turn criminally insane.
  • Extra Padding: Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition adds padded cells and padded floors along with a bundle of other new objects, floors, and wall types to customize your prison. Now you can easily build a dedicated wing for the criminally insane.
  • Tools of the Trade: Additional contraband, including Adrenaline Shots, Fountain Pens (Shanks), and Gold Pocket Watches, can be stolen by your prisoners, or by you in Escape Mode.
You can get the new expansion here!

Attachments

• Thumbnail_v001 (1).jpg
    Thumbnail_v001 (1).jpg
    183,3 KB · Views: 34
Great, thank you! Looking up for all the new stuff and all the things that you fixed/optimised that should have been fixed since years. thank you!
Looking forward for more prisioner behaviour and the rework/content for the unfinished gang system

Bought the DLC but i am extremely disappointing with how the mental health patients are portrayed. I wish there was more care put into it so that it would be more respectful to those that have those diseases. I mean compare how death row is done VS how a psychiatric patient is represented in the game.

The free patch was pretty great

Looking forward to more content but i'd appreciate if you could do more research then what was done in this DLC.

I was really looking forward to this DLC and am enjoying it so far. However, there are a few bugs:
1. The orderlies don't use the staffroom which makes them permanently pissed off and terrible at their jobs
2. Random prisoners just suddenly become criminally insane, meaning you have to change your prison to accomodate them. Maybe that's intentional but it probably shouldn't be, it gets very annoying! Especially with the aforementioned orderly problem.

Looking forward to fixes! I trust Paradox to sort it out :)

Bought the DLC but i am extremely disappointing with how the mental health patients are portrayed. I wish there was more care put into it so that it would be more respectful to those that have those diseases. I mean compare how death row is done VS how a psychiatric patient is represented in the game.

The free patch was pretty great

Looking forward to more content but i'd appreciate if you could do more research then what was done in this DLC.
Dude it's a game. It's meant to satirize and use common tropes that most people know isn't real. The game is cartoony. It's like saying the roadrunner cartoon is bad cause it shows ways of killing an animal.

The quickbuild is broken now tho when u put down a quickbuild and if u mess up u cant fix it till they build it. Before the update u could delete it and it also does not bring over the objects in ur quickbuild it puts them in the build overlay but don't order them to be put into ur quick build. Can the developers fix this please.

Dude it's a game. It's meant to satirize and use common tropes that most people know isn't real. The game is cartoony. It's like saying the roadrunner cartoon is bad cause it shows ways of killing an animal.

Ultimately I don't care about the issue of being careful and considerate in the representation of all those things, but the introversion guys who made the game were very much handling it all with care and grace. They've talked at length about it, how tackling certain aspects of the games was rough and that they did their best to gracefully represent tough topics like the death penalty. The criminally insane do certainly stand out at the moment with their very gamey representation that does lack a bit of grace when touching the subject. Just saying, it used to be different, so I can see why some people don't much appreciate it. I'm okay with it, though I'd wish there was more to it than basically just supression.

I loved the free update and the fair price for the DLC, not the expected $19.99. But did you do any testing at all? The game has many bugs now, some that I am surprised you missed in any testing. I didn't think much of it since I expected a patch the next day to at least fix some of the major issues or acknowledge their existence but it has just been quiet with no patches or hotfixes.