Psionic Exaltation and Balance | Psionic Exaltation Upgrade

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DulanDulin

Recruit
May 6, 2021
I want try to look at the problem of psionic elevation from a different angle.

I see the psionic empire as a small, perhaps medium-sized state, striving for people's happiness and stability in the worlds. And if the neighboring empire of materialists considers us an empire of fanatics lagging behind in technology because we prefer building temples but not labs, they still hesitate to attack, because even fools like them are able to notice that we are in luck for reasons they cant explain.

Sorry for my English, it isn't my native language.

Criticism.

It seems to me that most players are aware of the deficiencies of psionic ascension in the current version of the game (3.0.2).
Many of players have already expressed their opinion on this topic, operating to the fact that the bonuses that it gives are the weakest, relative to the bonuses of other elevations, it's hard to disagree.

For example, does it bother anyone that the time of entering the Shroud cant be influenced ANYWAY? Seriously. If U try go to the Shroud during a 10-year break, then u will write that your telepaths have not yet recovered and, in general, get out of here. What telepaths are we talking about? Are they some kind of leaders? No, I go to the "leaders" tab and see the same 4 standard columns, there is no separate "telepathic" column. This means that I cannot speed up the entrance to the Shroud by hiring new leaders. Maybe I can do this by increasing the population of my empire, because to assume that telepaths to enter the Shroud is a certain percentage of the population, then if the total number is greater, then more strong psionics capable of entering the Shroud will be born, which means I will be able to more often go to the Shroud or receive stronger bonuses. But no, it doesn't work that way.

Instead, by spending 2 bonuses for aspiration, I get the opportunity to play the in-game lateral once every 10 years, hoping to get bonuses, short other empires have by default, choosing any of the remaining two paths of ascension.

Suggestions.

As I said, I see an improvement in psionic elevation differently, not in a stupid increase in the percentage of buffs, but in the development of the very idea of psionics, because psionics is not about numbers, it's about faith.
I like that the game has special technologies that are only available to psionic isperians, this demonstrates that one of the developers at some point thought like me. So. It seems to me that psionic elevation should open up a way for the empire to interact with the game world in a different way than other empires interact, whose miserable citizens are able to perceive only the material side of the issue. New playable mechanics for psionics should significantly expand the ability to interact with the Shroud.
The veil as it is now in the game should open after the first ascension bonus is received, but not immediately. The "Breakthrough of the Shroud" technology should appear in sociological research. After studying, you can go to the Shroud for a while for energy credits (as now), receiving small bonuses from the Shroud. To enter there, you need a leader with the "psionic" talent, while entering the Veil the leader has a chance to go mad, and a psionic avatar may appear in his place (both space and ground, in the form of an army).
By accepting the second exaltation bonus, the empire should be able to fully interact with the Shroud. Now the temples are doing social research, although after accepting the second exaltation bonus, they will begin to produce psionic experience that can be used at their discretion.
For example, you have accumulated 1000 conventional units of psionic experience, 500 you spend on breaking the Shroud, but not the same as before, the psionic empire receives a constant "communication channel" with the Shroud, which takes part of the psionic potential points every month, it depends on the level of happiness and stability of psionics in the empire, as well as from the "depth of immersion in the Shroud".
The depth of immersion in the Shroud determines the possible bonuses from the Shroud (the depth of immersion reflects the degree of development of the general psionic potential of the empire's psionics): obtaining psionic technologies, talented leaders, initiating special events, connecting with the essences of the Shroud.
In my opinion, this is much more interesting, you will have to build temples in order to get more points of psionic potential, instead of just waiting 10 years until the next exit to the Shroud. But let's not dwell on this obvious discovery.
Let's say that your empire develops psionics very strongly, one hypercorridor separates you from the exterminator and they declare war on you. You cannot fight them right now, so you turn to the Shroud, where you have already unlocked the solution for blocking hypercorridors, for a while you simply close the hypercorridor and the exterminator will not be able to get into your empire for some time if it does not have a jump engine. You can also get the ability to summon space storms in separate systems, summon avatars, storm-causing avatars, psionic armies, psionic golems, etc.
BUT all this is not free, psionic experience points cannot be bought on the market, they are produced only by priests, and their number depends on the temples, the stability on the planet and the happiness of the priests also affect production. There is a curved path that can instantly increase the number of psionic points produced, this is a decree on the consumption of ZRO.
I think that he should have several levels, on which the percentage of increase in psionic points and the amount of ZRO consumption depends. As I said, this is a crooked path and after the cancellation of the decree or if you run out of ZRO, the priests begin to have seizures like drug addicts, some of the priests become unemployed, some take up space, but almost do not produce psionic points, naturally their number decreases. At such moments, an economic crisis begins in the empire. If the psionic points run out, the level of communication with the cover will automatically decrease, up to a complete rupture of the "channel of communication with the cover", which will cause psionic storms in the systems of the empire, etc.

I want to write about how I see contacts with the essences of the Shroud and how I see the main difference between ordinary priests of the Shroud and special priests who worship certain essences of the Shroud.

In my understanding, there is a significant difference between worshiping for the Shroud and between worshiping for essences from it.

Worshiping the Shroud, in my understanding like witchcraft, this is done by all the priests of normal temples of your empire after the full acceptance of the psionic elevation by your empire. The priests seem to manipulate the energy of the Shroud on their own using spells, magic formulas, etc., someone simply has a strong connection with the Shroud (as in the 40k warhammer).
Here, many already guess what I mean by the agreement with the entities of the Shroud, this is not entirely true.

Naturally, if we draw an analogy with warhamer, the worship of the essences of the Shroud can be compared with the worship of dark gods, but not entirely.

The worship of the essences of the Shroud is carried out by the priests of special temples dedicated to this essence. In order to be able to build such a special temple, you first need to establish a connection with the essence, accept its terms of interaction.

If the priests of normal temples produce only normal psi-points, special temples increase her favor to our empire, lower the price of special services of the essence, absorb normal psi-points and produce psi-points of the essence of this temple.
This like conversion of minerals into alloys in forges.

The idea is to make the worship of separate essence of the Shroud at first glance very profitable due to special offers and bonuses.
So it is foolish to refuse it altogether.
However, fanaticism should not be a panacea either.

I see the development of fanatical worship like this:
By worshiping a special essence, you lose your sense of proportion. You spend more and more psi-points to worship her. Those that you previously simply saved up are now transforming in special temples into special psi-glasses of this essence. Sooner or later, you completely devote yourself to her. Essence becomes the god of your empire, and you are her mortal slaves, a toy in her hands...

For example, you accepted the conditions of the Composer of Strands and built a temple for him. This temple converts 10 normal psi-points to 2 psi-points for the Composer of Strands. Such psi-points can only be spent on his services, the Composer's prices are high, but he offers very interesting services. And if you strengthen connection with him, bringing more and more psi-points as a gift, you can get him favor (at least it will seem so to you). Не w'll give discounts for u, prices will become much cheaper, he will offer you new and more interesting services. For this you requires MORE COMPOSER'S TEMPELS! You'll build one more, then two more, then another more... and imperceptibly you cross the line.

You get this situation:

Most of your psi-points are spent on contracts with the Composer of Strands. U can say that your magic is degrading, most of the temples are working for ensure transformation from normal psi-points to special Composer's psi-points. Your gain of normail psi-points is so small.

At a some moument, the Composer of Strands offers you a deal: U abandon do magic through normal Shroud and transform all of u faith to absolute worship to the Composer of Strands.

All of your temples are converted into Composer's temples. U cant build normal temples, Composer's temples no longer absorb normal psi-points, but only produce Composer's psi-points.

You lose contact with the normal Shroud. Now u only have a channel of communication with the essence for who you dedicated all your temples, it becomes the GOD of your empire. Now you can only use the services of this essence, you are obliged to pleasing all its whims.
If she gives you a buff, you will be glad, because this is a big buff, if she gives you a debuff, it will also be big, but you are also happy, you are not you may not be happy because you are completely in her power.

Now u can say that in your empire there is no more magic that works with the natural energy of the Shroud, there are only priests who praise your new GOD, hoping for his favor.

One day the entity may declare that it is hungry and in order to have fun, it will feed on the happiness of your people, this is your only god and you cannot mind, you get the debuff -20% of the happiness of settlements for 5 years.
One day your god can say that he is bored and in a year you are obliged to declare war on the neighboring empire, and again you cannot refuse him.

You can fling aside the essence by a special decision.
Аll the temples dedicated to it are destroyed (if you managed to make it your god earlier, you lose all your temples, and therefore the connection with the veil, which will then have to be restored), all the bonuses provided by it disappear, and the religious population that worships it becomes suppressed for some time (if the essence is not accepted by the god of the empire, then only its priests are suppressed, if accepted, then the entire population of the empire is suppressed).

Thus, psionic empires can choose several paths of their development:

You can build a few special temples, worship 1-2 essences of the Shroud (it is not forbidden if you have not accepted the entity by God or if it has not put forward such a condition). At the same time, u dont accept any of them as God, just save up special psi-points for difficult times, maintain relationships with the essence at a comfortable level for yourself, the main thing is not to let the essence deceive you...

One can simply study an ordinary Shroud without coming into contact with its essences.

You can become a fanatical adept of any Shroud's essence. Then you have no choice but to follow all her whims or endure her anger.

It seems to me that it would be just as interesting if there was an opportunity to elevate the elected leader to the Shroud's essence.
Even if you have to spend the aspiration bonus for this. Having in the Shroud the essence that protects your empire, you can accept it as a god and dosn't get the madness that other essences of the Shroud can give u.

I admit that the bonus with the leader becoming the essence of the Shroud and the god of the empire may prohibit the taking of bonuses for megastructures. But it should be a really cool bonus, making your empire a real empire of spiritualist downshifters.

Until I forget. If all this is taken into account, even if the sacred worlds give a buff to the development of psi-points, the happiness of settlements and primitiveism. Now this aspiration-bonus is useless.

Summing up.

Full immersion in spiritualism can take 4 bonuses for aspiration, of which only 2 are necessary.
The deeper the empire plunges into psionics, the more it moves away from technological development. Temples need a place on worlds, temples look best in place of laboratories.

I see the future of psionic ascent as a challenging ascension requiring maximum skill while fully immersed and a special approach to the game.

Bottom line.

I am interested to hear your opinion, write if you have something to say.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Agreed that the RNG of the shroud is not fun. Psionic pops get a boost but compared to the bonuses of the other two paths (particularly the growth bonus) it's very weak. I would like to see psionics reworked in a manner akin to the crisis. Rather than the shroud being a lucky dip every few years it could be something that you save up Zro to spend on, unlocking new levels. At each level you unlock perks for your empire, culminating in a covenant. Things like:

Tier One Perks

- Empathic. +2 codebreaking, +10% diplomatic power
- Telekinetic. +5% worker output, +25% army strength
- Clairvoyant. +5% ruler output, +10% research speed

• 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
One thing to consider when comparing the strengths of various ascension paths, is that genetic and robotic both require delaying research repeatedly to modify species. The psionic path is relatively cheaper, and also allows specialized ship components

Reactions:
One thing to consider when comparing the strengths of various ascension paths, is that genetic and robotic both require delaying research repeatedly to modify species. The psionic path is relatively cheaper, and also allows specialized ship components
The fact of the matter is that now the psionic path looks like an elevation for the unreasonable. You spend the same 2 aspiration bonuses and get a weaker bonus without the ability to develop within it compared to the other two aspiration bonuses.
As a person playing for psionics, I will constantly tell you that psionic technologies do not give such a strong bonus, by the way they also need to be studied, spending research points, you also need to spend a lot of points on breaking the Shroud... But the conversation, like my main pretense, is not about this.
First of all, I don't like how the Shroud works.

I see the psionic empire as a small, perhaps medium-sized state, striving for happiness for its people and stability in the worlds.
As with most ascensions, this is not necessarily true: can as easily be galaxy-wide slaver empire (which psionics work quite fine for as is), not necessarily spiritualists, either. When talking about balancing ascension paths against each other, you should do it in more abstract way: what does it provide, and how strong is it compared to other paths? (since you can't really discuss the buff of one without justifying it by other paths being stronger)

Reactions:
To be honest, if we can get an Auto-Pause whenever we can enter the Shroud would already be a functionally great upgrade.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
Psionic is weakest largely because it's the only path that doesn't increase pop growth. You could mitigate that by giving the Latent/Psionic trait +10/20% growth speed. It's a smaller bonus than the other path, but it's cheap and comes early (matching its other benefits).

psi assentation is weaker on its own however psi empires have massive advantages in the tech they can unlock. The only real issue with psi is the new pop system inadvertently buffing the other two.

I would still say gene modding is the worst. You don't really get much from it over what you could get with out it and no matter how you twist it, it just doesn't compare with synth

Personally I think the psionic path is actually one of the strongest. My reasons are:
- No longer nerfed pop growth vs other empires - with the nerfing of growth in bio ascension and synth, you can keep up (provided you do build some robots)
- Best shields in the game, best computers in the game, best jump drive in the game
- Best research (!) in the game. Psionics gives your pop +10% and your scientists +10% - better than biological or synth (by 5% - not huge, but not irrelevant)

But yes, the shroud stinks. With slightly less tedious RNG, it would give some nice bonuses.

HOWEVER... I always play fanatic materialists and hope/optimises my chances of getting psionics (size 24 ocean world, caravaneers, and a bit of RNG). If going down spiritualist, I think it'd be a lot harder.

Psionic ruler and governer traits are useless. Psionic happiness is useless. Telepath is useless. If they ever change psi ascension they should start the change there.

I would still say gene modding is the worst. You don't really get much from it over what you could get with out it and no matter how you twist it, it just doesn't compare with synth
Imo gene modding is the best if you have brainslugs (and can get psionics into your empire).

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
As with most ascensions, this is not necessarily true: can as easily be galaxy-wide slaver empire (which psionics work quite fine for as is), not necessarily spiritualists, either. When talking about balancing ascension paths against each other, you should do it in more abstract way: what does it provide, and how strong is it compared to other paths? (since you can't really discuss the buff of one without justifying it by other paths being stronger)
Just as an option, it doesn't have to be exactly what you said. At the same time, it is obvious that the development of psi glasses should depend on the state of those who generate them, if this is the empire of slaves, etc. then the slaves should receive a significant debuff to the effect on the psionic imprint of the state.

Just as an option, it doesn't have to be exactly what you said. At the same time, it is obvious that the development of psi glasses should depend on the state of those who generate them, if this is the empire of slaves, etc. then the slaves should receive a significant debuff to the effect on the psionic imprint of the state.
Why? Imposing the will of my empire on the pops living there sounds very synergistic to imposing the will of my empire on the material universe. We reject their free will and reality and substitute with our own.

I want to try to look at the problem of psionic elevation from a different angle.

I see the psionic empire as a small, perhaps medium-sized state, striving for happiness for its people and stability in the worlds. And if the neighboring empire of materialists considers us an empire of fanatics lagging behind in technology because we prefer building temples but not labs, they still hesitate to attack, because even fools like them are able to notice that we are in luck for reasons they cannot explain.

Sorry for my English, it isn't my native language.

Criticism.

It seems to me that most players are aware of the deficiencies of Psionic Ascension in the current version of the game (3.0.2). Many have already expressed their opinion on this topic, operating to the fact that the bonuses that it gives are the weakest, relative to the bonuses of other elevations, it's hard to disagree.

For example, does it bother anyone that the time of entering the Shroudcannot be influenced ANYWAY? Seriously. If you try to go to the Shroud during a 10-year break, then you will write that your telepaths have not yet recovered and, in general, get out of here. What telepaths are we talking about? Are they some kind of leaders? No, I go to the "leaders" tab and see the same 4 standard columns, there is no separate "telepathic" column. This means that I cannot speed up the entrance to the Shroud by hiring new leaders. Maybe I can do this by increasing the population of my empire, because to assume that telepaths to enter the Shroud is a certain percentage of the population, then if the total number is greater, then more strong psionics capable of entering the Shroud will be born, which means I will be able to more often go to the Shroud or receive stronger bonuses. But no, it doesn't work that way.

Instead, by spending 2 bonuses for aspiration, I get the opportunity to play the in-game lateral once every 10 years, hoping to get bonuses, short other empires have by default, choosing any of the remaining two paths of ascension.

Suggestions.

As I said, I see an improvement in psionic elevation differently, not in a stupid increase in the percentage of buffs, but in the development of the very idea of psionics, because psionics is not about numbers, it's about faith.
I like that the game has special technologies that are only available to psionic isperians, this demonstrates that one of the developers at some point thought like me. So. It seems to me that psionic elevation should open up a way for the empire to interact with the game world in a different way than other empires interact, whose miserable citizens are able to perceive only the material side of the issue. New playable mechanics for psionics should significantly expand the ability to interact with the Shroud.
The veil as it is now in the game should open after the first ascension bonus is received, but not immediately. The "Breakthrough of the Shroud" technology should appear in sociological research. After studying, you can go to the Shroud for a while for energy credits (as now), receiving small bonuses from the Shroud. To enter there, you need a leader with the "psionic" talent, while entering the Veil the leader has a chance to go mad, and a psionic avatar may appear in his place (both space and ground, in the form of an army).
By accepting the second exaltation bonus, the empire should be able to fully interact with the Shroud. Now the temples are doing social research, although after accepting the second exaltation bonus, they will begin to produce psionic experience that can be used at their discretion.
For example, you have accumulated 1000 conventional units of psionic experience, 500 you spend on breaking the Shroud, but not the same as before, the psionic empire receives a constant "communication channel" with the Shroud, which takes part of the psionic potential points every month, it depends on the level of happiness and stability of psionics in the empire, as well as from the "depth of immersion in the Shroud".
The depth of immersion in the Shroud determines the possible bonuses from the Shroud (the depth of immersion reflects the degree of development of the general psionic potential of the empire's psionics): obtaining psionic technologies, talented leaders, initiating special events, connecting with the essences of the Shroud.
In my opinion, this is much more interesting, you will have to build temples in order to get more points of psionic potential, instead of just waiting 10 years until the next exit to the Shroud. But let's not dwell on this obvious discovery.
Let's say that your empire develops psionics very strongly, one hypercorridor separates you from the exterminator and they declare war on you. You cannot fight them right now, so you turn to the Shroud, where you have already unlocked the solution for blocking hypercorridors, for a while you simply close the hypercorridor and the exterminator will not be able to get into your empire for some time if it does not have a jump engine. You can also get the ability to summon space storms in separate systems, summon avatars, storm-causing avatars, psionic armies, psionic golems, etc.
BUT all this is not free, psionic experience points cannot be bought on the market, they are produced only by priests, and their number depends on the temples, the stability on the planet and the happiness of the priests also affect production. There is a curved path that can instantly increase the number of psionic points produced, this is a decree on the consumption of ZRO.
I think that he should have several levels, on which the percentage of increase in psionic points and the amount of ZRO consumption depends. As I said, this is a crooked path and after the cancellation of the decree or if you run out of ZRO, the priests begin to have seizures like drug addicts, some of the priests become unemployed, some take up space, but almost do not produce psionic points, naturally their number decreases. At such moments, an economic crisis begins in the empire. If the psionic points run out, the level of communication with the cover will automatically decrease, up to a complete rupture of the "channel of communication with the cover", which will cause psionic storms in the systems of the empire, etc.

I can separately describe how I see the interaction with the entities of the Shroud, in short, it seems to me that it should be worship with the ability to build temples to individual gods of the Shroud (for example, the finalizer of the cycle :)).

Bottom line.

I am interested to hear your opinion, write if you have something to say.
Some of the points you make are pretty close to the points i make here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nics-could-be-improved.1472663/#post-27508916.
I prefer a slow mastery for your race as they learn to master their psionic power and the shroud. But I agree with you that right now shroud is too rng based and even if its shields and jump are good you have zero garauntee to get them quickly compared to the other ascensions that give you instant bonuses.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Why? Imposing the will of my empire on the pops living there sounds very synergistic to imposing the will of my empire on the material universe. We reject their free will and reality and substitute with our own.
The imprint of the empire in the Shroud is formed from the emotions of its pop, it is enough to remember the Zoni. In the excavations of Zroni, it is said that they were attacked by entities formed in the Shroud from Zroni's subconscious negative thoughts.
It seems to me that there should be a connection between happiness and the points of psionic energy they generate. The question is how strong and how it will change from the type of empire and its policies.

The imprint of the empire in the Shroud is formed from the emotions of its pop, it is enough to remember the Zoni. In the excavations of Zroni, it is said that they were attacked by entities formed in the Shroud from Zroni's subconscious negative thoughts.
It seems to me that there should be a connection between happiness and the points of psionic energy they generate. The question is how strong and how it will change from the type of empire and its policies.
Zroni were able to drain material universe to forward their goals. Imagine extinguishing empires by the power of your thought - those are the beings you're talking about; quite the different level from non-psionic slaves, or even fully psi-ascended pops that we get, don't you think? Highly doubt that slaves, no matter how unhappy, are able to generate any kind of threat.

Zroni were able to drain material universe to forward their goals. Imagine extinguishing empires by the power of your thought - those are the beings you're talking about; quite the different level from non-psionic slaves, or even fully psi-ascended pops that we get, don't you think? Highly doubt that slaves, no matter how unhappy, are able to generate any kind of threat.
I completely agree, that's what I'm talking about. Naturally, the psionic potential of an average slave will be lower than that of an average citizen, especially if citizens receive additional benefits from the state, etc. Perhaps I didn’t accurately express the thought earlier somewhere.