PSA! EU4 v 1.10.1 and 1.11.4 will soon be unavailable through Steam!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After 1.11.4 it's like a new game, the old way of warring is what many liked about EU4. There are so many other games that have gone "mainstream" and arranged for other ways to war, that are not so massive, and in the direction of chokepoints. That you need to take forts, to move on, is not that natural and friendly for those that play zone attacks/defense, and also not as much as it would be in reality.

Also, Civ5 went the same way with their 1 unit per square and thus ruining real war games. It was a bit sad that EU4 also did this, and moved away from the very much alive frontlines you had before common sense. Furthermore, the latest patches that make restrictions on world domination, or even close to it, are hindering the fun of warring playstyles IMO. I'm surprised that 1.11.4 is not able to keep alive, as I know several ppl that stopped there. 100 players or less sounds too little to me, note that many stopped playing EU4 altogether after common sense, and many also do not play on a regular basis too. In any case, I find it sad that one of the best games ever made is slowly moving in the wrong direction. It is not only Paradox, but a general trend that you buy a game that you like, and is kind of forced to follow the direction thereafter with DLC's, gameplay, etc. In the old days, you more bought a game, and you had that game forever as you liked it. You could buy expansions if you liked but the game core never changed as it does in today's games. If the core of the game changed too much they instead launched a new game (II, III, IV, etc) or expansions. I'd gladly pay for all my games, but in the end, when this is the result, you can understand why illegal copies start to spread.
Most of my 1700 hours in the game are with 1.11.4 or before.

That is almost my story exactly. I have 1,999 hours logged in Steam on EU4, yes that is actually the number at the moment, and almost all were in versions before 1.11.4. Maybe 100 to 200 hours at most were in 1.12 or 1.13 as I tested those waters, though I basically stopped playing with consistency around the time HOI4 came out, and had uninstalled EU4 for disk space, though would reload it every now and then to play for a few weeks when the mood struck. Obviously the stat of fewer than 100 players on old betas does not take into account those like me that are sporadic players who prefer older patches.

Having said that, I have used the Depot Downloader to download what I thought was 1.11.4 using the depots and manifests listed above by Splorghley, and a big thanks for compiling all that! When I just went to run the game after grabbing the content and Windows depot , the game comes up running in version 1.33.2.0. I deleted all the folders from my Steam location before copying them over, do I need to do something else? My Steam beta version is displaying 1.16.3 to further muddy the matter.

Having said that, I have used the Depot Downloader to download what I thought was 1.11.4 using the depots and manifests listed above by Splorghley, and a big thanks for compiling all that! When I just went to run the game after grabbing the content and Windows depot , the game comes up running in version 1.33.2.0. I deleted all the folders from my Steam location before copying them over, do I need to do something else? My Steam beta version is displaying 1.16.3 to further muddy the matter.
Maybe steam automatically updated the files if you copied them to the installation folder or you specified the manifests in the wrong way so that depotdownloader downloaded the most recent versions of the manifests.
Do you still have the folders which depotdownloader created? Then you can check if you got a relatively new version or an older version by looking which files you got. For the 236852 depot, the command line for depotdownloader should be (I think username and -remember-password are optional)
Code:
dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 236850 -depot 236852 -manifest 5071504604930244041 -username X -remember-password
and this should result in eu4.exe eu4_Server.exe and no other files(a newer version would have no eu4_Server.exe but many files for the new launcher instead (including a launcher-settings.json which contains the version number)). And for 236851, the command line would be
Code:
dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 236850 -depot 236851 -manifest 5478251942927021705 -username X -remember-password
and this download would for example contain the files Doughlat.txt, Guyenne.txt and Jalayirid.txt in the common/countries subfolder while a current version would have for example Aksumite Empire.txt, Alaska.txt, Algonquin.txt in the same folder.

Maybe steam automatically updated the files if you copied them to the installation folder or you specified the manifests in the wrong way so that depotdownloader downloaded the most recent versions of the manifests.
Do you still have the folders which depotdownloader created? Then you can check if you got a relatively new version or an older version by looking which files you got. For the 236852 depot, the command line for depotdownloader should be (I think username and -remember-password are optional)
Code:
dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 236850 -depot 236852 -manifest 5071504604930244041 -username X -remember-password
and this should result in eu4.exe eu4_Server.exe and no other files(a newer version would have no eu4_Server.exe but many files for the new launcher instead (including a launcher-settings.json which contains the version number)). And for 236851, the command line would be
Code:
dotnet DepotDownloader.dll -app 236850 -depot 236851 -manifest 5478251942927021705 -username X -remember-password
and this download would for example contain the files Doughlat.txt, Guyenne.txt and Jalayirid.txt in the common/countries subfolder while a current version would have for example Aksumite Empire.txt, Alaska.txt, Algonquin.txt in the same folder.

Thanks for the input, I did keep the depot download folders and it seems they did indeed pull in the latest versions which explains why it loaded as 1.33.whatever. This is a bit odd to me since I saved my command lines in a text file and they match exactly, but I am admittedly a dunce when it comes to coding. Oh well, I will give the depots another try at downloading.

Thanks for the input, I did keep the depot download folders and it seems they did indeed pull in the latest versions which explains why it loaded as 1.33.whatever. This is a bit odd to me since I saved my command lines in a text file and they match exactly, but I am admittedly a dunce when it comes to coding. Oh well, I will give the depots another try at downloading.
Maybe you can try copy&pasting my lines and then just change the username directly in the command line. Maybe you used the wrong type of hyphen-minus or two hyphen-minus signs in a row.

I recently learned about another way to download these files. There is a steam console built into the steam client which also has a command to download a depot

Maybe you can try copy&pasting my lines and then just change the username directly in the command line. Maybe you used the wrong type of hyphen-minus or two hyphen-minus signs in a row.

I recently learned about another way to download these files. There is a steam console built into the steam client which also has a command to download a depot

Oh happy day, the 2nd attempt worked and 1.11.4 loaded flawlessly. Thank you so much!

Time moves on.

Didn't want to make a new thread about this But I only reverted to the mac version of 1.17.1 last week and now find that is not listed in the betas now.

Thankfully I will give Depotdownloader ago with the uesful information provided in this thread.

Just my question is from the info on the page it doesn't seem to have any info for using on Mac os. Unless I can use my Windows machine and transfer accross the relevant files to here.

Just my question is from the info on the page it doesn't seem to have any info for using on Mac os. Unless I can use my Windows machine and transfer accross the relevant files to here.
The instructions for depotdownloader should work in the same way on macOS. But you need the .Net framework and the dotnet command line program. I think Microsoft makes it available for macOS (at least the parts of it which depotdownloader needs) and you can download it from them.

Reactions:
When I tried to revert back to the initial 1.34 release today, I couldn't believe what I saw. It seems Paradox are truely redeeming themselves of late. I haven't tried it yet, but all our favorite old versions seem accessible once more.

• 1Love
Reactions:
When I tried to revert back to the initial 1.34 release today, I couldn't believe what I saw. It seems Paradox are truely redeeming themselves of late. I haven't tried it yet, but all our favorite old versions seem accessible once more.

Checked earlier on my mac after seeing your post and couldn't see them. On my Windows system this afternoon and after having to relink my Steam account with here noticed what must be a new betas code. Entered that on mac and I can see them all.

Chuffed :cool:

cheers guys!

Thank you for your message. Just glancing the boards as I do now & your post alerted me as had made posts a while back. Just saved 1.8, 1.9.2 so they don't go missing again. I thought there was a limit on the amount of saves at Steam, or has that changed. Nice going Paradox.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for your message. Just glancing the boards as I do now & your post alerted me as had made posts a while back. Just saved 1.8, 1.9.2 so they don't go missing again. I thought there was a limit on the amount of saves at Steam, or has that changed. Nice going Paradox.
I think Valve probably increased it,either from their own initiative or due to game developers requests.But that's just speculation from my part.Don't quote me on this.

I just checked myself and I'm very happy to see the old versions back.

Still makes no sense why all 6 sub-versions of 1.31 are in the betas list. Eventually they will reach a limit again so what's the point in wasting slots.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Still makes no sense why all 6 sub-versions of 1.31 are in the betas list.
The 1.31 subversions are not save-compatible because of... unwholesomeness in code and data, and I presume they have data saying people are using all six.

Reactions: