PSA! EU4 v 1.10.1 and 1.11.4 will soon be unavailable through Steam!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If it is so simple, why did grotaclas had doubts it could be feasible for PDX to leave a link for us:
My point was for the case that paradox doesn't have a backup copy anymore. It was a reply to a comment which said that they should be able to retrieve it from version control. Version control are systems which are used to track changes and contain old versions of the source code of a program. Paradox almost certainly uses such a system, but my point is that the source code in such a system might not be suitable to recreate the compiled version of the game in the form in which it was released.

Of course if Paradox still has a copy of all the files like they were on steam, they could make it available for download. But they probably would not want to make a public download which would make the game accessible for people who don't own it. And I don't know if they have a system which can check the ownership of the game and would work for eu4. And a simple download might not be enough, because steam usually takes care of installing libraries like directX which the download would not contain. And a download outside of steam might imply that the game can work if steam is not running and that will probably not work correctly.

Reactions:
My point was for the case that paradox doesn't have a backup copy anymore. It was a reply to a comment which said that they should be able to retrieve it from version control. Version control are systems which are used to track changes and contain old versions of the source code of a program. Paradox almost certainly uses such a system, but my point is that the source code in such a system might not be suitable to recreate the compiled version of the game in the form in which it was released.

Of course if Paradox still has a copy of all the files like they were on steam, they could make it available for download. But they probably would not want to make a public download which would make the game accessible for people who don't own it. And I don't know if they have a system which can check the ownership of the game and would work for eu4. And a simple download might not be enough, because steam usually takes care of installing libraries like directX which the download would not contain. And a download outside of steam might imply that the game can work if steam is not running and that will probably not work correctly.
Thanks for the answer!

Indeed I can play my 1.11.4 backup without running Steam client, but the DLCs dont load...

Have you tried the advice from my post upthread (post #49)? Good luck!
Thanks for the consideration, but I only pointed out what grotaclas said was right, the game running without steam client can be problematic.

I dont have a problem because I simply run steam client then I run the eu4.exe when I want to play 1.11.4.

Another one of those <100 here (seems like almost all of us have replied). After 18k+ hours I never would have imagined it would be PDX themselves who would finally cure me from my seven year long addiction. Personally I liked 1.6 best, for the unpredictable war leader changes and the smaller map. Also RIP my 1.11 gothic invasion which was one truce away from completing.

Reactions:
Another one of those <100 here (seems like almost all of us have replied). After 18k+ hours I never would have imagined it would be PDX themselves who would finally cure me from my seven year long addiction. Personally I liked 1.6 best, for the unpredictable war leader changes and the smaller map. Also RIP my 1.11 gothic invasion which was one truce away from completing.
How did war leader use to work?

How did war leader use to work?
If you attack a small nation, say Ansbach, they call their allies in. If one of those is a lot stronger, for instance Bavaria, they would become war leader and call in their own allies. Now if Bavaria happened to be allied to the PLC, they would become war leader, calling in their allies which might include Denmark. They call it cascading alliances.

If you attack a small nation, say Ansbach, they call their allies in. If one of those is a lot stronger, for instance Bavaria, they would become war leader and call in their own allies. Now if Bavaria happened to be allied to the PLC, they would become war leader, calling in their allies which might include Denmark. They call it cascading alliances.
Oooh, sounds better than alliance cb of eu3. And this is pre favour system for call to arms, so how often could cascaded wars happen?

Oooh, sounds better than alliance cb of eu3. And this is pre favour system for call to arms, so how often could cascaded wars happen?
You wouldn't need favours in this example anyway because it's a defensive call. As to how often these kind of wars happened, it did happen quite frequent but usually it didn't go beyond a single change of war leader I think.

Reactions:
Personally I liked 1.6 best, for the unpredictable war leader changes and the smaller map.
Oh, I remember that, though not as fondly as you do. The smaller map was nice, and more in line with the Europa part of the game, but the potential of the war leader to change, eh not as much.

Also RIP my 1.11 gothic invasion which was one truce away from completing.
If you have the folder with 1.11.4 intact you can still play it, you just need to have Steam open and move the folder somewhere else.
If you don't let us know and someone of the <100 here will send you a copy.

Reactions:
Oh, I remember that, though not as fondly as you do. The smaller map was nice, and more in line with the Europa part of the game, but the potential of the war leader to change, eh not as much.

If you have the folder with 1.11.4 intact you can still play it, you just need to have Steam open and move the folder somewhere else.
If you don't let us know and someone of the <100 here will send you a copy.
Thanks, I appreciate it. It's a real shame about the older versions as it feels like a different game. Then again, with the amount of DLC's released it basically is. The difference being that if it really were multiple games we would be able to play it forever, like eu3.

Reactions:
HI,

Is there any guide how to back up and then play1.11.4 and is there a stable way to play iron man mode with achievements?

To be honest i tried .12/.13 till .16 i really hated the new fort system .. it was a time (see 100 year war) where army's could freely move in territory without being hindered by any "fort". Only other army's or sieges (started by the invading army) could hald the march ..

So "newer" versions don't make any sense at all in my vision :(

• 1Haha
Reactions:
HI,

Is there any guide how to back up and then play1.11.4 and is there a stable way to play iron man mode with achievements?

To be honest i tried .12/.13 till .16 i really hated the new fort system .. it was a time (see 100 year war) where army's could freely move in territory without being hindered by any "fort". Only other army's or sieges (started by the invading army) could hald the march ..

did those patches with free movements between forts have attrition on arrival?

HI,

You just need to copy your folder to another place before loading steam client, otherwise steam will erase your 1.11.4 folder and download the 1.31.6 instead. Other way is just change the name of the folder. I simply renamed the EU4 foldet to EU4 1.11.

To play you just need to load the Steam client and then go to the 1.11.4 folder and run the .exe file. It will open the old launcher. If your steam client is not running you will be unable to use the DLCs and mods.

But you need to copy the 1.11.4 folder before loading the steam client. Once you load it, it will erase the 1.11.4 and you wont be able to recover. If that already happened, take a look in the former pages in this thread, another guy offered help to people in this situation.

There is no way to play ironman in a patch so old though.

There is no way to play ironman in a patch so old though.
This is wrong. I tested ironman with my copy of 1.10.1 and I was able to get an achievement and it registered with steam.

Reactions:
I just saw that EU4 was coming to the Epic Games Store. Does anyone know if the EGS has a feature similar to Steam betas?

I loathe the idea of keeping track of games in two different market places, but if PDX were to make the older patches available through EGS, and this gives me the ability to play some of my favorite patches that were lost, I would put up with it for the sake of reliving my favorite builds of EU4!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
did those patches with free movements between forts have attrition on arrival?
They have attrition on arrival, so what a lot of players do is create a path moving the armies in and back out of the province, then cancel it on arrival to avoid the attrition tick.
I just saw that EU4 was coming to the Epic Games Store. Does anyone know if the EGS has a feature similar to Steam betas?

I loathe the idea of keeping track of games in two different market places, but if PDX were to make the older patches available through EGS, and this gives me the ability to play some of my favorite patches that were lost, I would put up with it for the sake of reliving my favorite builds of EU4!
I feel the same way, but I did some googling and unfortunately it appears Epic does not have a system like the Steam betas.

So, I put in a support ticket to make sure it was okay for me to post this and I got the green light, but there is a way to play any EU4 patch that has been released on Steam, even if there is no beta for it.

I want to preface this by saying this method is NOT officially supported by either Valve nor Paradox, and requires third party tools that require your Steam credentials so use at your own risk!

There is a tool called "DepotDownloader" you can download that will allow you to download any depot for any Steam game you own as long as you have the Steam AppID, DepotID, and ManifestID, all of which you can obtain on SteamDB. This does require you to log into your Steam account to use the tool, which is where the risk comes in. You want to download from the "Europa Universalis IV Content" depot, and you can find the manifest you need by comparing the date on the manifest to the related patch.

Then, simply follow the steps hwoosh detailed earlier in this thread.

If there is still some confusion with this method, I can write up a full guide, but it's a bit late so I thought I'd just point you all in the right direction. The documentation for DepotDownloader should tell you everything you need to know to get this working.

• 3Like
Reactions:
So, I put in a support ticket to make sure it was okay for me to post this and I got the green light, but there is a way to play any EU4 patch that has been released on Steam, even if there is no beta for it.

I want to preface this by saying this method is NOT officially supported by either Valve nor Paradox, and requires third party tools that require your Steam credentials so use at your own risk!

There is a tool called "DepotDownloader" you can download that will allow you to download any depot for any Steam game you own as long as you have the Steam AppID, DepotID, and ManifestID, all of which you can obtain on SteamDB. This does require you to log into your Steam account to use the tool, which is where the risk comes in. You want to download from the "Europa Universalis IV Content" depot, and you can find the manifest you need by comparing the date on the manifest to the related patch.

Then, simply follow the steps hwoosh detailed earlier in this thread.

If there is still some confusion with this method, I can write up a full guide, but it's a bit late so I thought I'd just point you all in the right direction. The documentation for DepotDownloader should tell you everything you need to know to get this working.
Have you checked the checksums if they match of these unavailable patches?