PSA! EU4 v 1.10.1 and 1.11.4 will soon be unavailable through Steam!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The biggest problem is not the limited amount of slots Steam has for updates, but the fact most are used up by tiny updates which in the past were only added when there was a new version. If we had only each new version saved there would be room for nearly all old updates. As another forum member mentioned version 1.11 is probably the last one before the game took a turn for the worse, & started its long downhill fall.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unless they also put the output of their build process into version control, it is far from trivial to get an old version. They could retrieve the source code, but the old source code might not even compile with their current build environment and external libraries might be inaccessible or have the wrong version.
It is mostly true for web applications (those often have a dependency hell) and can be avoided by carefull versioning of dependencies. But in practice i know what you are talking about, have been lost 2 weeks to find wich dependency of a dependency went wrong with an other integrated library.
Howecer Paradox applications are not JS, / Java or anything too modern prone to this type of hellscape of dependencies .

Reactions:
It is mostly true for web applications (those often have a dependency hell) and can be avoided by carefull versioning of dependencies. But in practice i know what you are talking about, have been lost 2 weeks to find wich dependency of a dependency went wrong with an other integrated library.
Howecer Paradox applications are not JS, / Java or anything too modern prone to this type of hellscape of dependencies .
It might not be a dependency hell, but the 1.31.5.1 linux executable uses at least the following libraries(references to them can be found in the executable file):
  • eu4/clausewitz/clausewitzlib
  • several eu4/clausewitz/pdx_ (e.g. eu4/clausewitz/pdx_core/CyoDecode.cpp which seems to be a modified version of an open source library)
  • eu4/build/external_libs_output/RELEASE/lib/luabind/include/luabind/object.hpp
  • external_libs2/boost_1_67_0
  • external_libs2/breakpad/2015_10_14
  • external_libs2/eigen-eigen-3.3.4
  • external_libs2/libcurl/curl-7.63.0
  • external_libs2/SDL/SDL2-2.0.4
  • external_libs2/steam/steamworks_sdk_135
  • external_libs2/nakama/nakama-cpp-sdk-2.4.1
  • external_libs2/tbb-devel-117-4.1-1.noarch-linux
  • external_libs2/pops_sdk/pops_sdk-1.14.0-beta
These are all in /home/jenkins/workspace. The clausewitz files are surely also under source control, but it might not be the same repository as eu4 and I would not be so sure that anybody still knows which revision was used for an ancient eu4 release.
Version 1.11.4 on the other hand had all the files "/home/rickard" which doesn't make me very confident that there was a build environment in place. And it seems to reference several more external libraries.
Furthermore the old source code might not even compile with their current compiler (for starters eu4 versions before 1.29 were 32bit) or a different compiler version might apply different optimizations which expose bugs in eu4 and break the game in some way. And there might be more files in eu4 which are generated in some way(e.g. the DLC zip files which were directly in the dlc folder in old versions, but moved to subfolders at some point) which need some external tool to generate them.

Reactions:
As another forum member mentioned version 1.11 is probably the last one before the game took a turn for the worse, & started its long downhill fall.
Didn't want to be so blunt, but yes, that wat the sentiment, and considering the amount of people asking for it to be reinstated I'd say we're not the only thinking that.

Reactions:
By the way, for anyone in the same situation as me and wondering: I got my backed-up version of 1.11.4 working successfully, and I tested it out and confirmed that it is still possible to get pre-1.12 achievements on an Ironman game with the correct checksum—even though it is no longer officially supported as a steam beta. (Thankfully I’d never bothered to get “Marshy March” before, so it took all of 5 minutes to test!)

By the way, for anyone in the same situation as me and wondering: I got my backed-up version of 1.11.4 working successfully, and I tested it out and confirmed that it is still possible to get pre-1.12 achievements on an Ironman game with the correct checksum—even though it is no longer officially supported as a steam beta. (Thankfully I’d never bothered to get “Marshy March” before, so it took all of 5 minutes to test!)
How? I have not been able to get backed up versions working with DLC enabled. When I open them the DLC tab is blank, but I own all DLC up to and including Common Sense!

How? I have not been able to get backed up versions working with DLC enabled. When I open them the DLC tab is blank, but I own all DLC up to and including Common Sense!
What I did was set Steam to the oldest beta version still available, currently 1.12.2, and let it install fully. Then I deleted all the game subfolders from the steamapps/common/Europa Universalis 4 folder, *except* for the dlc subfolder. Then I copy-pasted everything in my backup folder and told it to replace all.

That yielded a version of 1.11.4 with the correct checksum and all my DLCs apparently correctly activated.

OMG. I was away from Steam and I come to this. 1.11.4 version is the only one I played for years (since 2015).
What should I do now. Is there a way to manually install this version again? Does anyone have the old version for download?

If by chance anyone kept a Linux copy of 1.11.4, please let me know. :)
in case you are still looking for a Linux version of 1.11.4 you might want to allow people to send you forum messages

if you need a backup of 1.11.4 hit me up.
Tnx again. This solved my problem!
Tnx to Aikedh36 also for sending help.

Next time if Paradox plans to delete my payed game from my PC, at least send a e-mail to warn me to prepare. It is irrelevant if I am "<100 people playing these versions"

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh no! We belong to the "<100-group" as well, we don't like that fortress-stuff at all. Unfortunately we didn't know about losing those versions so I updated my version of EU4. Luckily my friend hasn't updated EU4 yet, so he can still make a back up. Can someone please tell me what we have to do to be able to play 1.11.4 again? Thanks in advance!

get the backup from your friend, and run eu4.exe. (zip eu4 folder, upload anywhere, like mediafire, mega etc)

this backup folder can be anywhere... you can replace the steam folder, but not much point, since u have to run eu4.exe anyway... and it might get updated again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The fact that people are still coming to this thread, a month after the fact, to get help to play this version really speaks volumes about how bad this decision was, and how inconsequential Paradox thinks the players (and customers) are.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The fact that people are still coming to this thread, a month after the fact, to get help to play this version really speaks volumes about how bad this decision was, and how inconsequential Paradox thinks the players (and customers) are.
Yes, I don't understand why they change mechanics in the core game without the option to turn those off. Or at least put them in a DLC so you have a choice to use them or not. Or give an ingame option to choose which version you want to play. At least don't force to install updates. I think it's unfair to force changes of mechanics of the (core)game to players, because it's not the game we bought. At least give the players options to players to continue to play the game they bought.

Reactions:
Tnx again. This solved my problem!
Tnx to Aikedh36 also for sending help.

Next time if Paradox plans to delete my payed game from my PC, at least send a e-mail to warn me to prepare. It is irrelevant if I am "<100 people playing these versions"
If they weren't maintaining 7 leviathan betas they probably could've held onto these old patches for longer, but alas leviathan released in such a flawed state

Reactions:
get the backup from your friend, and run eu4.exe. (zip eu4 folder, upload anywhere, like mediafire, mega etc)

this backup folder can be anywhere... you can replace the steam folder, but not much point, since u have to run eu4.exe anyway... and it might get updated again.
Is it that easy? Can I use my backup in any PC with windows10? Is there nothing during installation that makes the game specific to the PC the installation took place?

If it is so simple, why did grotaclas had doubts it could be feasible for PDX to leave a link for us:
It might not be a dependency hell, but the 1.31.5.1 linux executable uses at least the following libraries(references to them can be found in the executable file):
  • eu4/clausewitz/clausewitzlib
  • several eu4/clausewitz/pdx_ (e.g. eu4/clausewitz/pdx_core/CyoDecode.cpp which seems to be a modified version of an open source library)
  • eu4/build/external_libs_output/RELEASE/lib/luabind/include/luabind/object.hpp
  • external_libs2/boost_1_67_0
  • external_libs2/breakpad/2015_10_14
  • external_libs2/eigen-eigen-3.3.4
  • external_libs2/libcurl/curl-7.63.0
  • external_libs2/SDL/SDL2-2.0.4
  • external_libs2/steam/steamworks_sdk_135
  • external_libs2/nakama/nakama-cpp-sdk-2.4.1
  • external_libs2/tbb-devel-117-4.1-1.noarch-linux
  • external_libs2/pops_sdk/pops_sdk-1.14.0-beta
These are all in /home/jenkins/workspace. The clausewitz files are surely also under source control, but it might not be the same repository as eu4 and I would not be so sure that anybody still knows which revision was used for an ancient eu4 release.
Version 1.11.4 on the other hand had all the files "/home/rickard" which doesn't make me very confident that there was a build environment in place. And it seems to reference several more external libraries.
Furthermore the old source code might not even compile with their current compiler (for starters eu4 versions before 1.29 were 32bit) or a different compiler version might apply different optimizations which expose bugs in eu4 and break the game in some way. And there might be more files in eu4 which are generated in some way(e.g. the DLC zip files which were directly in the dlc folder in old versions, but moved to subfolders at some point) which need some external tool to generate them.
Sorry about the noob question, but Im really noob on computer stuff!