PSA! EU4 v 1.10.1 and 1.11.4 will soon be unavailable through Steam!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately we've reached so many beta branches on Steam that we need to remove some to make room for new ones
Why that? is there really a limit that they (Steam) can store.
As if it would need that much of an infrastructure (even more if only 100 people download it) :S

• 4Like
Reactions:
I did not realize until it was too late. I do not read this forum often (first time posting), so I realized only when starting the game and seeing that it was not in 1.11.4 as it was yesterday. Is it too late for me to do anything? I play exclusively on this Beta, and I am sad that the game as I know it now is gone. I have a lot of fun saves that now are unplayable. I was really looking forward to continue my save from yesterday, and was really disappointed when I saw the news.

Thanks for any help

• 3Like
Reactions:
Me too, I was playing 1.11.4 and today I found an update and the game version 1.11.4 disappeared. I like this version and I would like to continue playing it. Please, help.
I did not realize until it was too late. I do not read this forum often (first time posting), so I realized only when starting the game and seeing that it was not in 1.11.4 as it was yesterday. Is it too late for me to do anything? I play exclusively on this Beta, and I am sad that the game as I know it now is gone. I have a lot of fun saves that now are unplayable. I was really looking forward to continue my save from yesterday, and was really disappointed when I saw the news.

Thanks for any help

Reactions:
People are still playing them for their Ironman achievement runs.

Ok, but if PDX drops 1.30.3 or 1.31.2, some players will lose just one run and then play in 1.30.6 or 1.31.4 and lose nothing in terms of gameplay (and gain in terms of less bugs).

When PDX droped 1.11 and 1.10, some players not only lost their actual runs, but also all future runs in their preferred patches.

Reactions:
Can't believe my first post here in this forum is to ask to reinstate a version of the game, but here we are.

Hello guys!

Unfortunately we've reached so many beta branches on Steam that we need to remove some to make room for new ones. As such we determined that versions 1.10.1 and 1.11.4 are the next to disappear within a near future.

If you are among the <100 people playing these versions you can continue doing so by copying the game library (with the version in question active) from your Steam library to somewhere else on your hard drive. This should allow you to continue playing that version.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but sadly it's the path we need to take.

I understand that you've reached a limit imposed by steam, but please, remove any other other version than 1.11.4, as it is the last version of the game with the old fort system, and the only version me, my brother, and a couple of my friends play in multi.
Personally I'd go with what LSF suggested, as I'm sure removing 1.12 or similar newer version would make less of an impact, as I imagine a lot less players play them, since the systems that are still in current patch are already in.

Maybe I'm a little silly, but I think PDX should "jump" some patches when the time comes for removing older ones.

The last patches before big game changes should be preserved as a kind of "legacy" patches for those who might want to try a very different game.

And I think specifically about the 1.11.4 (the last one before the new fort system, the new building system and the new dev system) and the 1.17.1 (the last one before the new tech system with Institutions and the new accepted cultures system). The game is VERY different on those patches.

@BjornB if any of this can be reconsidered, please, please do. You'd make those 100 of us incredibly grateful and happy.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This PSA was made well in advance, I understand why people are upset but in the greater scheme of things 100 people is 100 people. That's not even 1% of the people playing right now. It's the best course of action to prevent more upset. If they removed 1.30.3 for example, that would be a whole lot more than just 100 people. So unfortunately it's the lower numbers that have to go. There's nothing they can do about it now anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This PSA was made well in advance, I understand why people are upset but in the greater scheme of things 100 people is 100 people. That's not even 1% of the people playing right now. It's the best course of action to prevent more upset. If they removed 1.30.3 for example, that would be a whole lot more than just 100 people. So unfortunately it's the lower numbers that have to go. There's nothing they can do about it now anyway.
Not exactly just 100 people. For example I like to play on a more recent patch most of the time, but revisit old ones occasionally. The ability to switch between patches greatly increases the replayability of the game. Taking away a patch that preceded many big changes especially isn't fair. The old fort system and old building system aren't even just a matter of preference for old mechanics. These were changes that really broke the balance of the later start dates so now there is no available patch with non-broken later starts anymore.

As for the PSA being made well in advance, not everyone has to be in the business of checking the forum regularly. I happened to see the PSA on time but there have been periods of weeks in the past where I didn't check the forum or play the game, and if it happened back then I would have missed it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good job I made a backup of 1.11.4 recently to add to my collection of EU4 versions. Probably one of the better patches to play later start dates because it's the last one before development was introduced.

At this rate we should all start making backups of more recent patches before it's too late?

Reactions:
That's why I and other people have said to remove old patches with no big systemic changes that even less players use, and not the recent ones. If you have to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, well, don't; you're not helping anybody.
EDIT: And that's without considering that a "well in advance" (a week is barely any advance at all) post in a forum that most don't visit and therefore won't see, instead of a Steam announcement (since this is clearly a Steam issue), isn't exactly helpful either.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I wouldn't say it was that well in advance, it was only a week in a unpinned thread. I've checked the forums a acouple of times this week and this morning was the first time I saw this thread.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@BjornB This is incredibly disappointing. As the last patch before the fort system was introduced (and the only version I'm personally interested in playing), 1.11.4 really ought to be preserved in a publicly available way. As others have suggested please drop some of the intermediate mini-hotfix versions instead and keep 1.11.4 around, I implore you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think it's possible anymore for them to redo the change. Unless they have some sort of storage for all the versions which if they have deleted these off the steam page I doubt they will. Another user above was offering a backup of .11.4. That's your best way forwards I'd say.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think it's possible anymore for them to redo the change. Unless they have some sort of storage for all the versions which if they have deleted these off the steam page I doubt they will. Another user above was offering a backup of .11.4. That's your best way forwards I'd say.
If they do use git, svn or any other resource version control, it is trivial to give access to any version of the game.
If they don't, well I am surprised how they manage and they should look into it NOW.
Also clearly, to sacrify the fun of even one paid customer, for some obscure steam reason without enough notice (on steam aimed to warn people using that version before updating as it seems their request to reduce number of branches) IS upsetting.
And even if I am not personally affected, I support them as next time, it might be my fun taken away that way (well it has happened once with SotS 2, when after a patch it become unplayable....)
Edit :
Also an other user providing an older version is piracy and should neither be "the solution" nor advocated here or elsewhere. Except of course if Paradox renounces his property claim on that version specifically and then it enters the gray area of abandonwere...
But I doubt that strongly.

Reactions:
If they do use git, svn or any other resource version control, it is trivial to give access to any version of the game.
Unless they also put the output of their build process into version control, it is far from trivial to get an old version. They could retrieve the source code, but the old source code might not even compile with their current build environment and external libraries might be inaccessible or have the wrong version.

Reactions:
At this rate we are six patches away from 1.17.1 disappearing. With EU4 not ending development anytime soon we are going to arrive at that point sooner rather than later.

Reactions:
One more voice in favour of restoring 1.11.4. It's the high point of a particular era in EU4's history, and should be preserved. And frankly, it's a lot closer to the game I actually made the decision to buy in 2013.

If by chance anyone kept a Linux copy of 1.11.4, please let me know. :)

Reactions:
Thanks for the warning at least but it's sad that rolling back to patches before the fort system will no longer be possible :(
Hopefully 1.12.2 will not be removed, since I've got two of my mods (Twelve Vultures and The Rome That Did Not Fa all) in that version.
Yeah, I hope that Paradox looks into a more sustainable solution than this going forward. I didn’t have time to save myself a 1.11 install before it was removed (I work away from home), so I guess I’m basically done with EUIV now, the version I like most is gone from my machine.

I spend some time in 1.14 as well so I’ll make sure to take a copy of that… but I do hope you guys at Paradox take note that there are mods and things that are still alive using older game versions, and maybe consider that a game development model requiring an extraordinary sales structure (subscriptions!) also requires an extraordinary rollback setup?

(Put downloads of old versions in a sub forum locked to people who’ve registered the game, please and thank you I really want 1.11 back).

Reactions:
Also an other user providing an older version is piracy and should neither be "the solution" nor advocated here or elsewhere. Except of course if Paradox renounces his property claim on that version specifically and then it enters the gray area of abandonwere...
But I doubt that strongly.
This is the elephant in this particular room we should all remind ourselves of.

Reactions: