• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MarkShot

Major
62 Badges
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
I am playing 1.05C.

Can someone layout a few simple guidelines as when to make various province improvements?

This seems somewhat less straight forward than EU2 where what you can build is quite limited based on current tech level and there is a simple linear progression of improvements and only a single investment can be made in any one area.

Here they are all available and you can invest up to arbitrary levels.

Also, are improvements retained if control of a province changes owners or do they go back to some predetermined level?

I notice that the AI (1936 scenario) immediately kicks off a lot of industry improvements (like EU2 TCs). Is that what I should be doing?

Thanks.

The economical system is quite simple in HOI and the improvements are even more simple.

Improve infrastracture: The higher the infrastracture the faster your and enemy troops move in the province.

Forts: Less efficiency for the attacker

AA: Planes are damaged when they fly over the province.

Improve industry: The only really important improvement. You should stick with improving all provinces with less than 5 IC, but you'll also need more resources when your industry improves.

As Germany industry improvements should be enough.

I knew John wouldnt be able to resist!;) Lets hope this gets resovled for 106 or 105d, whichever is quicker.

Dont forget, that INFRA not only increases unit transport speed, but as a consequence will mean that your troops will not lose so much ORG when travelling. Except if you are retreating. Therefore, depending on your strategy (defend/offensive) you may want to upg. these.

IC - 2reasons to upgrade these..... Get more IC and kept the amount of resources being used down as you cant use IC that is being used to upgrade, for production etc. As a large nation such as German, UK, SU, USA you can afford to upgrade IC. However, I dont bother with Germany, as you will need all you IC to get you troop levels ready for 39 or sooner!

AA - really get up to lvl5 if you are not going to have any air cover. These will severly deplete attacking air forces if not destroy them out right. Otherwise, maybe to level 1 or 2 and keep fighters 2provs back incase they get through for a mop up.

Forts - Dont build forts unless you will have a permanent garrison on the beach in case you get surprised OR if you have a permanent sea patrol in that sector. Land forts across key provinces are a must so you can fall back, esp at bottleneck zones. LVL 3 should be fine for most. DOnt build sea forts on anything other than provinces with beacheads (banana shapes).

Remember it all depends on your strategy. If you are going to build ahighly technological mobile force, then dont bother with upgrades 2much. Youll need them for research and unit prod.

I remember people (myself included) complaining that the ai didnt do upgrading early on. Of course we (I) was wrong!