• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 19, 2004
Many a time I had sieged a province from greater population number that also had a different religion to an under 5000 level only to use the "Missionary converts the entire population from xxxxxx Muslem/hindu/aztec" to spanish catholic.

Playing as Spain i had only 3 provinces on the both continents of the Americas as not Spanish catholic.

This is precisely the subject one is not supposed to discuss on the forum. Bet here you have it.

IT is Geno....

Please do not allow to change culture this way

have the native culture and the settler culture be of different proportion in the province with differing revolt risk and all of that

ala Vicky

As I understood it cultural conversion isn't a much genocide, as it is cultural assimilation. Notice the population doesn't decrease at all by this conversion. However I'm prone to agree with you cultural assimilation should be a more gradual process not simply the result of religious conversions. Though in all fairness the "genocides" of the timeframe was mostly about religion and not about culture. And quite a few native americans lost their life in the process of conversions. However so did a lot of Europeans from the reformation to the hundred year war. Fact of the matter is that people died for their religion. In a timeframe so marked by religious differences, it would be wierd if forcing ones religion upon ones citizens didn't cause some to die and some to leave. Europe was massive internal immigrations because of the religious conflicts, which could be handled far more dynamically than by an event engine.

Culture in EU seems to be more about effective control and language. Vic brings in more ethnicity, since that was the period. We don't need Platinean in EU3, like we did in Victoria.

Personally, I should hope that only Catholic Countries get missionaries...

Yakman said:

However would the Netherlands get their population ever to go mostly Calvinist without missionaries?

But I disagree with the point of this thread. At the end of EU2, most of South America was a polyglot of Spanish and native cultures. So, I believe the change is somewhat decently represented by the change of culture upon being converted from Pagan, as likely those pagans who became catholics were seen as different from their still-pagan brethren.

Though in all fairness the "genocides" of the timeframe was mostly about religion and not about culture. And quite a few native americans lost their life in the process of conversions.
Most of the 'genocides' were due to microbiology decimating the native populations below a sustainible level. After that the use of slave labor most likely comes next and that was more due to basic greed than religion. Beyond that you had settlers clearing the land for future settlement. Surprisingly little religious killing happened in the New World, that natives simply were too massively outgunned for anything but submission in most cases.

Well, the discussion depends on wether you classify 'culture' as strictly culture, or combined with ethnicity. Having most of Latin America 'spanish' towards the end of EU2 is reasonable if you view the province culture as language, customs, law etc.

I like the way it's done in Victoria, but I doubt that's the best model for EUIII.

Yakman said:

Is that accurate? The English were quite enthusiastic (and brutal) in their suppression of popery during certain periods. Not as much activity in the New World, but not zero either--Dartmouth being one example.

To be frank I hope they remove culture entirely. It doesn't makes sense with the timeframe to have legitimacy based on culture. I would prefer the HoI2 solution where core provinces produce extra and there is no such thing as culture.

P'dox Games Cultures mean that Culture, Customs, Way of Life and not etnicity or we would have ended with no French or Anglosaxon but with European, Eurasian....

Sute]{h said:
To be frank I hope they remove culture entirely. It doesn't makes sense with the timeframe to have legitimacy based on culture. I would prefer the HoI2 solution where core provinces produce extra and there is no such thing as culture.

It mattered a great deal, even though "nationalism" in the modern sense didn't exist.

It wasn't coincidence that most successful states had a strong "core" cultural group, or that performance when ruling areas of foreign culture (from Italy or Ireland to the Low Countries and Ruthenian/Ukrainians) was at best uninspired and sometimes disastrous.

Txini said:
P'dox Games Cultures mean that Culture, Customs, Way of Life and not etnicity or we would have ended with no French or Anglosaxon but with European, Eurasian....

Pretty much what I thought, yes.