Protect the Straits in Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus on October 15th

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is very interesting.

But those ''regionnal'' patches....do they work well into the main game ?

I mean there than China can be a major player in the ''big'' war. A well player minor in ''Death or Glory (example : Czeks) could become a major player (at least until Resistance...) . The Dominions....not so much.

Greece and Bulgaria (Turkey too I guess) will be very interesting to play against each other. Against the Nazis or the Soviets...it reminds me of HOI II scenarios, in which the game was restricted to a theatre.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, and does the Battle for the Bosophorus includes my deepest and darkest fantasy, the possibility of revising the Montreux convention ?

1601081640451.jpg

• 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Will there be new achievements of these countries being updated? Thank you!

There usually is new achivements for each DLC and update, I hope they're more unique then "Annex the World" and borderline meme ones, but we will see.

This is very interesting.

But those ''regionnal'' patches....do they work well into the main game ?

I mean there than China can be a major player in the ''big'' war. A well player minor in ''Death or Glory (example : Czeks) could become a major player (at least until Resistance...) . The Dominions....not so much.

Greece and Bulgaria (Turkey too I guess) will be very interesting to play against each other. Against the Nazis or the Soviets...it reminds me of HOI II scenarios, in which the game was restricted to a theatre.

Regional patches are necessary, theatres that were small need attention too, and personally I prefer seeing countries that have symmetry bundled together. I'd rather not see a DLC pack that is Belgium, Brazil and Denmark for example, I was hoping for Belgium with France in LaR but that didn't happen, Brazil should be with South America countries and Denmark should be saved for Scandinavia and Finland, though Belgium and Denmark could work together.

Regarding Greece and Bulgaria, they did fight in the war, they deserve attention and to be better represented, before this DLC Bulgaria was going fascist and asking to join the Axis to fight against everyone, this never happened. Bulgaria never went fascist, they were a small monarchist state that was pressured into joining the Axis and was pushed to declare war on the Allies and they did but they rejected the Comintern, it was actually the Soviets who invaded them, as well as being valuable in garrison duties in the Balkans. Greece was a non-aligned country that sat and did nothing until Italy invaded, and at least in my games, Italy beat them, also didn't happen. Greece was a dictatorship and being influenced by many parties domestically and abroad, numerous things could've happened and now the Greek military gets the attention it deserves and hopefully Italy will have a harder time invading them.

Regarding Turkey, to me they are a regional major, they aren't going to affect things in a massive way on the globe, but in that area they are strong and can hold a global major back if they're distracted, if Turkey had joined the Axis, Allies or Comintern the war as we know it would've been entirely different. If we see a Comintern Turkey we're looking at communist Greece post-war and possibly land taken from Bulgaria and Greece, if they join the Allies then maybe Greek-Turkish relations wouldn't be as hostile since they'd be fighting together against the Axis with British support and maybe they even push into Southern Romania and Yugoslavia before the Soviets get there, making a unique post-war situation, if we see an Axis Turkey then we see a whole two whole new fronts, the Caucasus, instrumental for the German war effort as the oil there was crucial and ultimately what killed Germany, as well as the Middle East with attacks possibly into Iraq, Syria and Palestine, maybe even Iran. So yeah Turkey has potential to really spice things up in that region and they should not be overlooked, there's a reason everyone tried to persuade them to their side.

Reactions:
Regarding Turkey, to me they are a regional major, they aren't going to affect things in a massive way on the globe, but in that area they are strong and can hold a global major back if they're distracted, if Turkey had joined the Axis, Allies or Comintern the war as we know it would've been entirely different. If we see a Comintern Turkey we're looking at communist Greece post-war and possibly land taken from Bulgaria and Greece, if they join the Allies then maybe Greek-Turkish relations wouldn't be as hostile since they'd be fighting together against the Axis with British support and maybe they even push into Southern Romania and Yugoslavia before the Soviets get there, making a unique post-war situation, if we see an Axis Turkey then we see a whole two whole new fronts, the Caucasus, instrumental for the German war effort as the oil there was crucial and ultimately what killed Germany, as well as the Middle East with attacks possibly into Iraq, Syria and Palestine, maybe even Iran. So yeah Turkey has potential to really spice things up in that region and they should not be overlooked, there's a reason everyone tried to persuade them to their side.
Brits really wanted Turkey to join war to open up huge new front against Germans but İnönü kept avoiding them. Historical Turkish AI should stay neutral until Germans start to lose a lot.

In a book retelling those days, when Germans were at Turkish border, İnönü was very angry/tense/nervous; his assistant was following radio to catch hint if Germans are gonna attack Turkey (everyone knew they were gonna). But they received news that Germans declared war against Soviet, his assistant brought news to his son, his son told his dad, "Germans attack Russia..." İnönü started laughing, kept laughing for minutes. He was so relaxed from anxiety he probably became hysterical.
Oh boy staying neutral while Germans at door in those days must be very hard.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Brits really wanted Turkey to join war to open up huge new front against Germans but İnönü kept avoiding them. Historical Turkish AI should stay neutral until Germans start to lose a lot.

I'm aware, I was just listing off the possible outcomes in ahistorical mode or a player's hands, let's be real here, neutral paths are only there for the AI! :p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
İnönü was very angry

Inönü had even more problems like the demands from Soviet Union from 1936 which let us to the Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits, but then the War between Germans and Russians kicked off.

Since then Turkey had a good rising relationship with USA and even let to align them (NATO).

Roosevelt, Inönü and Churchill

GnGAqV7Cna9LO1A0-636813313696473364.jpg

Cumhuriyet Frontpage

dXqSWXgbl7Fad91t-636813315007220833.jpg

Inönü and Çakmak

PUXBil7bf62PrB7P-636813322522355422.jpg

Reactions:
I don't know the difference between an expansion and a dlc. I get this is a country pack and not an expansion or dlc. I just see pdx marking updates as either expansions or dlcs. just curious.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know the difference between an expansion and a dlc. I get this is a country pack and not an expansion or dlc. I just see pdx marking updates as either expansions or dlcs. just curious.

Update- Free content and tweaks to the game
Country Pack- Small purchaseable DLC
Expansion- Major purchaseable DLC
DLC- Downloadble content, this can be free such as the Polish focus tree, or paid such as LaR, TfV or WtT

Reactions:

Mr Grizzly has covered it above but I just thought I'd mention that it seems to be something they started doing with Stellaris

Species pack - A new species with a few extra rules for how they behave + artwork for new ships and portraits
Story pack - extra side quests & minor changes to how you explore the universe / find new benefits. (leviathans was mega monsters, Ancient Relics was archeology)
Expansion - a large game altering change

Species pack as primarily worked on by artists & content designers.
Story packs are content designers, artists and some code support but limited to non-critical paths.
Expansions require everybody.

A lot of people have complained about HOI4 being one expansion a year. They will probably follow the success of Stellaris by doing (multiple) country packs in-between full expansion with possibly the occasional side dish of radio packs or 3d model packs (axis armour, etc.)

This allows the design & code team to work on big game changing systems (resistance or the upcoming supply system) but still keep a revenue stream + minor bug fixes (hopefully) going. It will be interesting to see what patch if any comes with Battle for the Bosporus.

All of that is just a guess from watching the company so don't take it as holy writ or anything but it makes sense.

Reactions:
To be perfectly honest i don't get why there would be an updated italian focus tree, witht he focus on the mediterrannean area, as 3 new focus trees are awesome, a rework for such a major as italy really seems needed, you are almost done by 1940 with the relevant part of it.

Reactions:
This dlc seems to be interesting. However I have a question. Will they improve game performance?. I say because I am tired that as the game progresses the fps drops considerably to 10 or less and I would like them to solve that.

• 1Love
Reactions:
This dlc seems to be interesting. However I have a question. Will they improve game performance?. I say because I am tired that as the game progresses the fps drops considerably to 10 or less and I would like them to solve that.
You can't understand how much I can agree with your request. My PC really suffer after 1942/3 and it becomes as though the game is running on a Pentium 4 after that moment, even if I have a Ryzen 3600X and 32 GB of Ram. I love paradox games and every add on is for me a little present in my day, but they really need to optimize their games with new CPU especially multy core system. I mean, just look at the steam classification multi core are the base CPU for gaming now days!

But you should not forget that the Engine is a little bit old and has it´s own limitations.
I know, you are right, but some how I hope they will manege to optimize or migrate the entire game on a new engine. I mean if AMD or Intel will drop a CPU with 99 core, it will be worthless, but if they make a single core CPU at 6Ghz maybe we will be able to reach 1952 on the same smoothness of the first two game years.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Do we know when Preorder goes up?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, is there truth to the Yugoslavia (minor) rework rumors?

Also, is there truth to the Yugoslavia (minor) rework rumors?

It's not a rumour, it was a leak by accident, whoever put up the Steam store page accidentally posted the new Yugoslavia tree. The only thing they touched appears to be the political tree. I was talking to people on Twitter about if this will be free for DoD owners, if it's in the BfB DLC or what and Podcat said you won't have to buy BfB for a DoD update and we will learn more tomorrow, since Yugoslavia is being shown tomorrow as teased by him today. Here's a pic of the new tree from Reddit

1601414863558.png