• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello! Thanks for the mod! I'd like to leave here a couple of links to wikipedia notions that i think might be worth the time to indulge and build events around for tech team purposes!

Via Panisperna: for just a handful of years, Italy litteraly lead the athomic and nuclear technology research. This work has then been disperded and fragmented due to the Panisperna science team fleeing fascism. A triving Italy without Mussolini, would had have one of the most competitive mean to develope Athomic technology in the World scenario, probably the means to do that before anyone else, having a tech team and such tecnologies as soon as 1934

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Panisperna_boys

The IRI (Istituto per la ricostruzione Industriale), was a fascist public holding that actually is mostly responsible for the Italian economic Boom, first and after the SWW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istituto_per_la_Ricostruzione_Industriale

I also feel like Olivetti should be added of the Managment speciality being the company the pioneer in most of workers policies and strategies, enacting most of the innovative policies of modern companies, making Olivetti the Google of the time...

I'm quite busy at this time, but I'll try to release a new patch to make Project Italy compatible with the new version of Darkest Hour. The patch will include a revise of AOI on which I've been working in the last months.
Hello! Thanks for the mod!
Thank you. Have you played a few campaigns? Did you like the improvements?
Via Panisperna: for just a handful of years, Italy litteraly lead the athomic and nuclear technology research. This work has then been disperded and fragmented due to the Panisperna science team fleeing fascism. A triving Italy without Mussolini, would had have one of the most competitive mean to develope Athomic technology in the World scenario, probably the means to do that before anyone else, having a tech team and such tecnologies as soon as 1934

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Panisperna_boys
The fleeing of Enrico Fermi is handled by the racial laws event, which puts him to sleep as tech team. I'm afraid that giving more bonuses to Italy prior to that would make the game unbalanced. What do you propose?
The IRI (Istituto per la ricostruzione Industriale), was a fascist public holding that actually is mostly responsible for the Italian economic Boom, first and after the SWW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istituto_per_la_Ricostruzione_Industriale
How would you represent it? Maybe one or two events which give a +1 to central planning? With dissent increase or reduction?
I also feel like Olivetti should be added of the Managment speciality being the company the pioneer in most of workers policies and strategies, enacting most of the innovative policies of modern companies, making Olivetti the Google of the time...
Yes, it makes sense. I will consider it.

I'm quite busy at this time, but I'll try to release a new patch to make Project Italy compatible with the new version of Darkest Hour. The patch will include a revise of AOI on which I've been working in the last months.

Thank you. Have you played a few campaigns? Did you like the improvements?

The fleeing of Enrico Fermi is handled by the racial laws event, which puts him to sleep as tech team. I'm afraid that giving more bonuses to Italy prior to that would make the game unbalanced. What do you propose?

How would you represent it? Maybe one or two events which give a +1 to central planning? With dissent increase or reduction?

Yes, it makes sense. I will consider it.

Thanks for the replies!

About Fermi, i have always felt that the game lacks control over that techteam. I wouldn't be afraid about unbalancing the game, since i feel that italy in this game is being threated with very low consideration. One thing is economy, the other is technology. Given the resources, Italy should at least have some improvements here and there in tech teams...

About the IRI one should consider that during the years IRI litterally became FINMECCANICA, today Leonardo. One should consider that this is not a small deal, nowadays finmeccanica stands as one of the biggest arms contractors in the world . The Italian economic boom after the WWII is history. Some references:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160603080504/http://books.sipri.org/files/FS/SIPRIFS1512.pdf

I think there should be an IRI techteam, and a few events leading to FINMECCANICA, an even better tech team in industry and arms, plus a few events to boost italian economy and industry. The economic miracle around 1950\60 skyrocketted italian economy making it the 4th biggest PIL in the World by the 90's, and the most industrialized economy in Eu. This is not represented fairly in the game....

I really wish there was a way to merge this mod with the Grand Campaign mod (which in the latest release, uses an outdated file for italy in which teams end up in 1970...)

This mod is not dead yet! I'm working on a new release which will be compatible with Darkest Hour 1.05.1.
This update will focus on Africa Orientale Italiana. I decided to rework the cabinets, so that the Viceroy is now Head of State and Foreign Minister, while the Vice-Governor is Head of Government, Armaments Minister, and Minister of Security. This is due to an almost complete lack of data regarding the people who served in AOI. There will be some alternative ministers for each position, to provide a quasi-historical variety of choice to the player. There will be events for each major cabinet change. I also added a few more leaders from 1942 on, in case AOI survives beyond 1941.
aoi.jpg

Expect the usual improvement of the leaders database for Italy and post-war Italy, more units pictures, and a few fixes here and there.

Will you make alternate history versions? I mean governments for Italian protectorates for various colonies. The AOI wouldn't be capable of holding the same territory as they wanted in the first place. Not to mention a a Middle Eastern or other territorial conquests. So technically an RK version in the Italian sphere. Although much more native friendly and lenient, with a much weaker grip on the lands.

I coulnd't find any plans for a victorious post-war Italian administration of Egypt. Without flights of fancy, I believe that the most realistic outcome would have been the establishment of an Italian protectorate with Farouk I as king of Egypt and Sudan, and the direct control of the Suez canal only.
No plans for Greece, either. Mussolini wanted to annex the Epirus and some islands to Italy, but the fate of the rest of Greece lied in the hands of Germany (due to the abysmal performance of the Italian army in the campaign). I only know that the Italians wanted a Hellenic State with a certain Sotirios Gotzamanis as head of government. The Principality of Pindus was a joke.

I also wonder a lot about Evola. I think his influence would have been greater, if the Italian conquests were better. His thoughts would have shaped a new ideology similar to the Reich one in certain parts, but more lenient and more achievable. You could say, that he wanted a "change of mind" for the Italian nation, which was not that unrealistic. (As it actually happened partially.)

Italy was always interesting if we take a look in the historical events between 1936-1945. Mostly its failiures are shown everywhere, but rarely are they talking about its potential and successes. They also had plans and toughts about the future. Their system and history is unique in that time. Just think about what Hitler would have done if Wilhelm II. had remained the ruler of Germany? What Stalin would have done, if he could have taken the power himself by less violent methods by a "March to Moscow."
Would a democratic Italy even had a chance against the threats of the world.
Even after the war was over, technically a civil war was fought for the leadership.
Mussolini had a handful of usurpers, not to mention his insubordinate subordinates.
If we take a look at its whole system, its capabilities and its place in that world order, it was more of a miracle that it haven't failed much earlier.
A lot of times its military have been a point of joke, but seldom is the heroic fights mentioned. An undergunned, underequipped and underprepared army have fought well in the various theatres.

At last, here's the new version of Project Italy, adapted to the new 1.05.1 DH patch.
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/o01kmuwz6t5w125/PROJECT+ITALY+for+1.05.1.rar
Note that, while the new DH patch added a new events chain for the Italian intervention in WW1 on the Central Powers side, I decided to keep my Project Italy chain (because I believe that my events are better).
As suggested, the next update might include some events regarding the Axis post-war partition of Greece and the set up of an Italian puppet in the area.
Please let me know if you find any bugs or missing features, and also what you liked and disliked!

In a future update, I'd also like to include another battlescenario like the one set in the 1866 Third Independence War. Here's the options I came up with:
- the First Italo-Ethiopian War of 1895-1896: a very interesting setting, but difficult to properly represent due to the limited size of the campaign and the small forces involved.
- an ahistorical scenario: Nazi Germany and Nazi Austria versus Italy and possibly Hungary. In 1934 the failed coup d'état in Austria almost led to a war between Hitler and Mussolini. This scenario would be very fun (featuring Germany at the beginning of its re-armament against Italy at the top of its military potential, fighting each other in the Alps like fifteen years before), but the data about the state of the various armies and the divisions involved are very scarce, so I'd likely need the help of other users, possibly German-speaking.
- the Rommel's North African Campaign in 1941-1942, much like the battlescenario in HoI2. It would be an almost direct conversion of that, featuring the Project Italy database.
- the Italo-Turkish war of 1911-1912: but I must say that it's already well represented in the wonderful World in Flames III mod by Eginhard 38, whom I had the pleasure of working with.
Let me know your thoughts about it!

Last edited:
Any tips for a first playthrough of Project Italy?
It depends on which World War you want to deal with! In WW1 you can defend the Alpine front against the Central Powers, or go ahistorical and attack France instead. In WW2, you can start in 1933 and gear up for the war with Ethiopia (and also get the chance to see some interesting vanilla events), or start in 1936 to finish off Ethiopia and intervene in Spain. You can also start in 1939-40, with the historical army set up, which might be an advantage or a disadvantage! The 1941 and 1942 scenarios are tougher, because Italy is losing ground and valuable units. The 1943 scenario is set after the arrest of Mussolini, and the challenge here is to hold up as long as possible against the Allied invasion. In 1944 and 1945 you can choose to play as the Italian Social Republic (nazi puppet) or the Kingdom of Italy (British puppet introduced by this mod) and try to play a role in the future shape of the nation. Don't forget to try the 1866 scenario to breathe a different air!
In any case, remember that Italy has few resources, a little base IC, and just a handful of skilled leaders: always plan your actions well in advance, try to never lose your most valuable units, and try to act as quickly as possible before the enemy powers can organize themselves against you.

Also, does this version work on it's own? Or is it installed with a copy like before?
You can copy the Project Italy files over the original files in the Darkest Hour Full folder, or in a copy of that folder if you want to keep the original files. My mod is not stand-alone because I want to keep it as light as possible.

Last edited:
If you want help for Ottomans in this battle scenario, I am more than happy to.
Thanks. The biggest challenge of this scenario would be to write an amphibious-assault-frenzy AI for Italy, since I don't want to make it start in medias res (that is, with Italian forces already landed in Libya).

Congratulations for the new release!

I like your ideas for battlescenarios, as it is an underestimated modding genre that would deserve more attention. The vanilla map for North Africa is already detailed, and the future EiF map won't add much provinces there - much less than elsewhere in Europe. Yet, I think an Italo-Turkish War scenario would be interesting, especially if, for some reason, Italy tries to land in Anatolia or to force the Dardanelles. Both options were contemplated as negociations were dragging on, and an Italian destroyer squadron reconnoitred the Dardanelles in (IIRC) July 1912, finding them weakly defended. It may go far off a battlescenario's scope, but Russia's reaction to an Italian invasion of Constantinople could very well have triggered an early WW1.

A First Italian-Abyssinian War battlescenario would indeed require a much more detailed map of East Africa, an area not covered by the EiF map (except as a crude "box"). However, I hope some day Rhysaxiel's tools will be advanced enough in their development to make map modding much easier, allowing for the creation of such a map (which could be reused for other battlescenarios, by the way).

That is actually an interesting idea. An early ww1 in 1912. It would result in different political sides. Italy would be allied to Germany and Austria and the Balkan League could join the Central Powers as they are interested in Ottoman lands. Bulgaria would than be allied to Russia. If focus would be more on the Mediterranean, than such countries as the Netherlands could be willing to join in on different sides and not remain neutrals. Netherlands would be willing to join the Germans. (France would be the same position as Germany was in 1914 so no real potential reason for war aside from supporting an ally.)
World in Flames III could include this. Just mentioning. :D

Good morning, nice work compliments.
I ask one thing: is it possible to use the Italian mod in Italian?
Then on the Social Republic I noticed that it is difficult to have the opportunity to have the armed forces in good time. It would not be better to create an event in which you already field some units in the scenarios of 1943.1944.1945.

Good morning, nice work compliments.
Thank you.
I ask one thing: is it possible to use the Italian mod in Italian?
Yes, you can play in Italian but most of the texts will not appear. I never translated this mod into Italian or other languages because I haven't received any requests in this regard. Essentially, the files that have to be translated are extra_text.csv and scenario_tex.csv in Darkest Hour Full\config.
Then on the Social Republic I noticed that it is difficult to have the opportunity to have the armed forces in good time. It would not be better to create an event in which you already field some units in the scenarios of 1943.1944.1945.
The present OOBs (orders of battle) reflect the historical situation at the beginning of each scenario. In July 1943 the RSI didn't exist yet; when it's released by Germany, it immediately receives a marines division (Divisione 'Decima'), a submarines unit and an air transports unit. In the June 1944 scenarios the main units of the army are still under development: the San Marco and Monterosa divisions were deployed in July 1944, while the Italia and Littorio divisions in November/December 1944. The December 1944 scenario has these four divisions already deployed on the map. Indeed, playing with the RSI shouldn't be a cakewalk!

Last edited: