• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's a new update for Project Italy!
I added more content and fixed some bugs.
More unit pictures, more events, more leaders (also for RSI if it survives the war).
I rebalanced the leaders' traits, and established the rule that Old Guard leaders are those who were promoted to Mj.General (or the Navy/Air Force equivalent) before 1930 or before 1900 for WW1, or were recalled to active service after their retirement.
Italy now has a new skill 3 Panzer Leader general: Mario Balotta, who won the only Italian victory in a tank vs tank division-level battle against the British.
Also, the Saharian divisions generals (Maletti, Mannerini, Piatti dal Pozzo, Gallina) start with the Desert Fox trait.
The tech teams are also reworked: I added the Odero-Terni-Orlando naval team and tweaked the skill levels and components for the others.
I added more speeches: in all, we have six by Mussolini (declaration of the Empire, the victory in Spain, the annexation of Albania, the racial laws, war on France and the UK, war on Greece) and the Badoglio armistice declaration.
I added the L'Unità newspaper header for Communist Italy, and the Corriere della Sera header for RSI and Democratic Italy.
The Granatieri di Savoia division is removed from the Italian queue in 1936 and is automatically assigned to AOI by event.
And much more...
All in all, I believe that this latest version of Project Italy provides the smoothest and most satisfactory experience with Italy in Darkest Hour.
Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jve7vaiqrx1x2wg/PROJECT+ITALY+1.031+for+1.04+final.rar
Thank you and please leave your feedback if you enjoyed the mod (also if you didn't!)

Reactions:
Hi Melkor89. i revised the army division names of Italy removing all the non-historical divisions while adding names of missing ones plus i also added some division names that were disbanded by the government before ww2.
some of them have a description besides them so you can know where the name comes from.
Thank you for your contribution. Just a side note: the "Flottiglia" is a Navy unit composed of surface ships, and it is not appropriate as a name for a land division-sized unit. Italy never had marines divisions, the closest thing was the San Marco division in the RSI which was called Divisione [Fanteria] di Marina.

Is there a chance for more events about conquered territories? Like the relation towards Croatia (Diplomatic views, military aid etc.) Greek nationalists (and if Italy only makes them puppets and later on conquers Turkey, than giving them some land.)
I don't mean too much alt history, just improvement of the event base.
I think that most of these decision can be made within the game mechanics. Nevertheless, it would be good to create an event for the independence of Greece, because neither Germany nor Italy can release it because the territories are splitted. Do you know anything about the 41-44 collaborationist Greek governments? I'd say that Ioannis Rallis should lead the government and Georgios Bakos would be the Armed Forces leader. Also, which territories would the Germans allow the Italians to keep?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_State_(1941–44)
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=it&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.it&sl=el&tl=en&u=https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9A%CF%85%CE%B2%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%BD%CE%B7%CF%83%CE%B7_%CE%99%CF%89%CE%AC%CE%BD%CE%BD%CE%B7_%CE%A1%CE%AC%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7_1943&usg=ALkJrhhWDSqI8makLiYBecEl5AyH5LGVwQ

Congratulations for your new version! Are there changes in the database regarding WW1 era (apart from leader traits)?
Yes. I added a few more generals and made better pictures for many of them (e.g. for Cadorna and Diaz I used two high resolution photographs that were recently uploaded on wikipedia).

Thank you for your contribution. Just a side note: the "Flottiglia" is a Navy unit composed of surface ships, and it is not appropriate as a name for a land division-sized unit. Italy never had marines divisions, the closest thing was the San Marco division in the RSI which was called Divisione [Fanteria] di Marina.

i used the MAS flottigilia only for the actions of the "X Flottiglia MAS " as they were a naval infantry division in the RSI

will the revised list be added in a future realese?

I updated the first post with the new colour pictures for units.
colors.jpg

Reactions:
The mod is very well alive and kicking!
For the next version, I've been focusing on post-WW2 Italy.
present.jpg

I tried to find as many leaders as possible for the 1950s (air force generals names and pictures are especially hard to come by), sometimes stretching a little their historical service dates...
leader.jpg

I also made many unit pictures for the post-war Italy units. Some of these pics represent WW2 tanks and vehicles still in service after the war! (note that some were used by the police forces, not by the army)
mexxi.jpg

Among the other things, I reworked the land/naval/air doctrines tech teams, so that 1) they are a closer representation of the theories in Italy at the time, and 2) every team is specific to a certain doctrine branch (e.g. Badoglio for the defense tactics, Graziani for the blitzkrieg, Mecozzi for the CAS doctrine, Fioravanzo for the carrier tactics, etc.)
See the teams available in 1940:
teks.jpg

Expect a new update, soon!

Last edited:
The mod is very well alive and kicking!
For the next version, I've been focusing on post-WW2 Italy.
View attachment 287716
I tried to find as many leaders as possible for the 1950s (air force generals names and pictures are especially hard to come by), sometimes stretching a little their historical service dates...
View attachment 287717
I also made many unit pictures for the post-war Italy units. Some of these pics represent WW2 tanks and vehicles still in service after the war! (note that some were used by the police forces, not by the army)
View attachment 287718
Among the other things, I reworked the land/naval/air doctrines tech teams, so that 1) they are a closer representation of the theories in Italy at the time, and 2) every team is specific to a certain doctrine branch (e.g. Badoglio for the defense tactics, Graziani for the blitzkrieg, Mecozzi for the CAS doctrine, Fioravanzo for the carrier tactics, etc.)
See the teams available in 1940:
View attachment 287719
Expect a new update, soon!

Perhaps the Italian Elite troops' trainer should be improved. Italy is the butt of many jokes (they did well with what they had) but their Alpine Units were excellent.

Perhaps the Italian Elite troops' trainer should be improved. Italy is the butt of many jokes (they did well with what they had) but their Alpine Units were excellent.
Well, in my experience with Darkest Hour I always managed to research most of the technologies using the Italian tech teams (with an average of 4-5 skill level) within their respective year. The real problem is that Italy doesn't have enough IC to produce all the units needed, upgrade the existing ones and reinforce the damaged ones. This reflects the historical situation: in OTL, Italy did have some small elite units while the vast majority of the armed forces was outdated and understrength, and every loss couldn't easily be replaced. So, the player must be very careful and plan every move in advance. You can expect to create a few up-to-date motorized, armored or alpine divisions, but you'll have to neglect the update of the other units and fight WW2 with 1926 infantry; or, you can try to update all the existing units, but you won't be able to expand your army with more divisions. You can have a carrier or two, but the air force will suffer. Etc... Italy is very challenging to play as.

As suggested by @ArmyDuck I created a new team for the airborne divisions and tactics research.
para.jpg

New flavour events for the 1933 scenario:
balbo.jpg

This will give the player a better idea of who Balbo was before he dies in 1940 (or whenever Italy declares war on the Allies).
Two more Mussolini speeches will be included: the 1933 celebration of Balbo's transatlantic flight and the 1935 declaration of war on Abyssinia.
These are the definitive 1940 tech teams:
tecchs.jpg

With the next version of Project Italy I will also upload a new colour pictures pack.

New flavour events for the 1933 scenario:View attachment 294352
This will give the player a better idea of who Balbo was before he dies in 1940 (or whenever Italy declares war on the Allies).
Two more Mussolini speeches will be included: the 1933 celebration of Balbo's transatlantic flight and the 1935 declaration of war on Abyssinia.
These are the definitive 1940 tech teams:
View attachment 294353
With the next version of Project Italy I will also upload a new colour pictures pack.

Ah... povero Balbo. Era l'unico che poteva permettersi di poggiare i piedi sulla scrivania di Mussolini.

Finally, here's Project Italy 1.2 for Darkest Hour 1.04 final.
Whats new:
- dozens of new leaders for ITA and U07
- reworked the leaders (and ministers) retirement date: now it coincides with the death date. This way, you can promote any leader to the highest rank and have it lead your army regardless of their OTL retirement date (which is usually affected by the outcome of the war, e.g. many skilled generals retired in 1946-47, but in DH the war might last until the 50s). At the same time, at the start of each scenario many retired Old Guard leaders are deactivated, according to their retirement date at that time, while others are retained because they were recalled on duty from retirement.
- reworked tech teams for ITA
- many historical unit pictures, especially for U07 in the 50s
- more models cold war models names (sorry for including a few trainer aircrafts for ITA as fighters ;))
- new unit names file, with the help of ArmyDuck
- two more Mussolini speeches: for the Balbo transatlantic flight in 1933, and for the Abyssinian war in 1935.
- polished events and some new flavour ones
- fixed some small issues here and there
All in all, I tried to make a pleasant and entertaining mod if you are planning on playing as Italy on vanilla Darkest Hour. I'm also open to help anyone who wishes to merge this mod with his own, just ask!
Thank you for your support and help, and please leave your feedback if you enjoyed the mod (also if you didn't!)
DOWNLOAD PROJECT ITALY 1.2 FOR DARKEST HOUR 1.04 FINAL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7vz1hej029j6ydo/PROJECT+ITALY+1.2+for+1.04+final.rar

Just a suggestion, this mod really needs a post ww1 start circa like 1918 or something. whenever i play it, Germany always war decs Switzerland and proceeds to kill me with 50 + divisions.

Not sure if this mod is still being developed anymore, but, yeah.