• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

smijatov

Corporal
54 Badges
Dec 17, 2008
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Hello everyone (or anyone...seems like there is no activity on EU2 in ages! :( )

I am having issues with EU2 running on Windows 7. It shrinks to only 1/2 of the screen and I cannot get it to be full screen at all. I've tried playing it in compatibility mode, but that doesn't do anything. Is there a way to work the screen resolution?? My resolution is 1280x800, but I think it plays in 640x480 or something ridiculous like that.

Please help!! THANKS! :D

I have not Windows 7 (and remember that the game was never supposed to run on w7 :p), but :

-- has the file setting.cfg the right values (check with a text editor, it's a text file) ?

-- I don't remember if EU2 was limited to some specific values (640x480, 800x600, 1280x1024) and possibly yours would not be in those : can you make the game run with some of these specific values ?
I usually use 800x600 (for tests more than for games, I play with For the Glory now) but my wide screen gives flattened pictures

Check the tech support forum. I don't remember hearing of the exact problem you describe, but there are some suggestions you could at least try.

I'm still stuck - cannot seem to find anything on the tech forum. I hope someone else has had this problem before so I can find out about it.
There is a thing I opened, called "EU2 Configuration" and changed my screen resolution to 1024x768, but in actuality when I play the game, nothing's changed, it's still way too small.

How do you make it run in different values? I cannot figure it out for the life of me!
Thanks so much for the suggestions! ;)

You have probably installed EU2 in the system path (ie under c:\program files\ ) and so the config file you changed was not the real one in use, due to Windows' Virtual Store feature. You can click on the Compatibility Files button to get to the real one, but better still would be to uninstall EU2 (after moving valued save games elsewhere), manually delete the game directories, and install it again elsewhere like c:\games\eu2 .

Either way, you should also rename the EU2 /avi/ directory to anything else to stop the intro movies playing, the movie player often causes problems.

How do you make it run in different values? I cannot figure it out for the life of me!
there is a EU2_Setting.exe (or I simply modify the setting.cfg as it is only a text file)

AndrewT may have something, there, with the path. I forgot about these problems occuring since... Vista, I guess ?

Damn. I've tried what you've both said (uninstalled it, and installed it in a new folder in c-drive; and changed the EU2_setting.exe file AND the settings.cfg file), and nothing seems to work at all... :/
The films don't show up, yes, but that's about it. The game is still in only 1/2 of the screen (well, there is a lot of black space around it - the game is in the centre with only 800x600). Why am I the only one with this problem??? :(

It's possible the game does not have permissions to resize the screen. Try right-clicking and selecting Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't work, I'll just point out that For the Glory works perfectly in Windows 7. *whistles innocently*

It's possible the game does not have permissions to resize the screen. Try right-clicking and selecting Run as Administrator.

If that doesn't work, I'll just point out that For the Glory works perfectly in Windows 7. *whistles innocently*

I've already tried the Admin thing. Ah, well... I guess "For the Glory" might be my way out. Is it good, though? Never played it...
Oh well, I'll just get it anyway :p haha
Thanks for the tips, though.

FAIL. Now i'm having the same issue with "For the Glory!" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Oh my... so disappointing. And there is even a resolution changer thingie, but it doesn't want to change it. I will die.

OK, so what changed on your system between when they both last worked, and when the first one of them had this problem? A video driver update perhaps?

As far as I know, 16 bits is only required when playing in windowed mode. But it's been a while since I played either game full screen, so I could be wrong.