• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Starman45FTW

Recruit
4 Badges
Sep 16, 2016
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
I had the game saved on my phone, but I had uninstalled it temporarily to make space for another app. When I redownloaded the game, I signed into my Paradox Account and waited for my saves to download. Ten minutes later, and I'm still on that screen, and I just figured I was in an area of poor connection, so I waited until I got home and let it download... overnight. When I woke up, it was still on the downloaded saves screen. Now, whenever I open the game, it automatically gets stuck on that screen. How do I fix this? I really don't want to lose the saves I invested 4 years into.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190725-195854.png
    Screenshot_20190725-195854.png
    112,8 KB · Views: 15
N
This does not look good, I have to say! I can't really account for what's happened, I just tried logging into my own copy and it downloaded the cloud saves just fine.

Here's what I suggest:

- delete the game from your phone again
- clear the cache of your Play Store app
https://www.addictivetips.com/android/how-to-clear-the-google-play-store-cache-in-android-6-0/
- install the game again

I hope that does it for you!

No, sorry, it doesn't seem to be working. I tried clearing the cache multiple times to no avail. I even tried installing it on a different device, and I'm having the same issue. Right now, I'm worried that somehow my cloud save got corrupted. I really hope nothing serious happened.

Your worry is very understandable! We don't have any way of independently looking into the saves in the cloud, I'm sorry. In fact on this game I'm not even sure if they are backed up to Google or Paradox servers (on KoPP2 it's some weird combination of both).

If the game or phone crashed while it was writing out a save, it could well be corrupted and that bad copy get synced up to the cloud. If nothing like that happened I have no good explanation for what's happened here.

FYI the local save file is in:
"\Internal storage\Android\data\com.beholdstudios.knightspp\files\"

The file name is: "data.kopp"

I checked that folder, and it came up completely empty. The only way I believe it could've been corrupted with be when I last synced my account, on a road trip with fluctuating and unreliable connection. If my cloud save is corrupted, would I be able to restore it to a previous state or download it locally? If not, and I (begrudgingly) start over, what account would I link my new game to? I have games and other items linked to this account I'd hate to abandon. Lastly, what would I do if this were to happen again?

To answer your last question first, I suggest you set up a regime of regularly backing up that data.kopp file so you can always manually restore it yourself. I cannot account for that folder being empty though ... the folder itself does exist, you are saying?

If you log out of the game and start a new adventure, does that seem to work and get saved locally?

I cannot restore any older save games, I'm sorry - only the current one is saved to the cloud, not previous generations of saves. What I can do is give you a code for in-game gold to give you a flying start on a new adventure with a new party! Let me know when ready and i'll send it to you by PM here.

I understand. It's a shame that I can't get my progress back, but I suppose there isn't much to do. And to clarify, I did find the folder, but there was no data.kopp file there until I made a new game. I greatly appreciate the offer and would love to accept. I will try to be diligent in regularly backing up this new save. I also made a new account for cloud saves for extra caution. Thank you very much for your assistance. :)

Okay, there you go. All the best!