• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Benzinkecske

Recruit
27 Badges
Feb 28, 2019
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • War of the Roses
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Lead and Gold
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello,
I would love to get some help from you guys.
I am trying to install HoI2 - Doomsday from it's original CD and the Installer is quitting immediately with an error message of: An installation support file could not be installed / catastrophic error...
I read in Europa Universalis 2, that some of the guys had the same problem there and they provided some kind of new setup.inx file and that solved it, but i cannot find any of that file for HoI2.
What do you guys think?

Conjurer, I have already read that thread. i'm asking for help in a problem which can not be related to technicalities.
My computer is way-way above the limits of the game, my OS is Win10 as normal nowadays, the drivers and all redistributables are up to date.
I provided the error massage. As i am not a programmer myself i don't know any more about the problem.

Conjurer, I have already read that thread. i'm asking for help in a problem which can not be related to technicalities.
My computer is way-way above the limits of the game, my OS is Win10 as normal nowadays, the drivers and all redistributables are up to date.
I provided the error massage. As i am not a programmer myself i don't know any more about the problem.

Some problems are specific to the system that you are running. That is why the FAQ advices to give details about your system and how to do that , to see what could be the cause that something does not work.

That your computer fulfills the minimum system requirements is not what I meant - HoI 2 is an older game and a new operating system can be a problem instead of being better.

Are you using a 64bit version of Windows 10?

In which directory are you trying to install the game? e.g. not in C:\Programs... as many older games expect to have administrator rights and newer versions of Windows (starting from 7) deny them those rights in that directory. If you did then try to install it in a different directory, e.g. mine is in
G:\Paradox\Doomsday
or if you really want to install there you need to run the game with administrator rights, which is not recommended.

Yes i have a 64bit OS, but I do not think the problem comes from that.
The problem insists from when i run the intaller, so it is not even loading in to the installer to start with.
The error message is above. I tried to search for it but only found threads for the same problem in Europa Universalis.

Yes i have a 64bit OS, but I do not think the problem comes from that.
The problem insists from when i run the intaller, so it is not even loading in to the installer to start with.
The error message is above. I tried to search for it but only found threads for the same problem in Europa Universalis.

So you did not even come to the point of chosing where to install the game?
Then try to start the installer in compatibility mode, e.g.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/852f3505-3cd6-4d13-bcfb-65ee015346f9

And yes, trying to install or run a 32bit program in a 64bit operating system can create problems that did not exist on the operating systems around during the time the game was released.

Edit: Mentioning before that you had installed the game on your system and that it did run before might have be a clue to the cause of the error...