• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prometheus_1

General
71 Badges
Feb 9, 2015
www.deviantart.com
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
I want my heir to inherit the whole kingdom...
I started playing in 840, I am in 950... why everytime my kingdom gets split among children and I can't select primogeniture? Looks like a future tech , but historically first born could inherit empires , but not in CKIII?
Am I missing something?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I want my heir to inherit the whole kingdom...
I started playing in 840, I am in 950... why everytime my kingdom gets split among children and I can't select primogeniture? Looks like a future tech , but historically first born could inherit empires , but not in CKIII?
Am I missing something?
You are not, primo is a future tech.

There are elective successions available depending on your culture (or the Byzantines have primo), but it is intended that you are mostly restricted to confederate partition at the early/mid stages of the game

Reactions:
1066 France has also incorrect mode. It should be elective with possibility to make your first son crowned when you're alive, thus the crown would be virtually hereditary in practice but in theory elective and then full hereditary later unless you don't have direct son which didn't happened until pre HYW period.

And no gavelkind at this point since you start with an all small royal desmene...

Reactions:
You need to be late medieval period to research Primogen. However, some factions like the Byzantine Empire start with it. Some other factions like the French can get it through an event. The Norse vikings have Scandinavian elective and if you slap it on every kingdom and empire title you will be fine. The Holy Roman Empire title has the unique princely elective which functions the same way.

If this is not an option then get regular partition asap. Its in the early medieval tech tree. Create 1 empire title and the realm will remain intact as long as you dont have 2 empire titles.

There are dozends of long texts in this forum about this. The search function would really help you. There are also suggestion threads that try to convince the devs to change that. If you don't care about Ironman/Achivements there are simple mods that give you primogenitur at the games start.

As for the historicity: historically gavelkind was dominant at the games start at least for most parts of europe. If you start 867 (why do you start 840???) there is a reason for several Karolingian kingdoms and that is gavelkind. Norse rulers often splitted inheritance as well or killed each other lol.
And in the 1066 start date: just look what would have happened when the most of the children of William the Conquerer wouldn't have died. Robert would have gotten the Normandy for ever, the others would have been powerfull Dukes. There was no Primogenitur, although i think late middle ages are a bit to late.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1066 France has also incorrect mode. It should be elective with possibility to make your first son crowned when you're alive, thus the crown would be virtually hereditary in practice but in theory elective and then full hereditary later unless you don't have direct son which didn't happened until pre HYW period.
It would require a large redevelopment of the mechanic of the game.

There was anticipatory association of the heir in early capetian France and very careful dotation for the cadets, as the royal desmene was super tiny.

Which is quite like primogeniture, albeit the elective principle remained.

On the other hand following demise of Louis I of Hungary (from the Capetian dynasty as a matter of fact) in 1382(!) his titles of King of Hungary and King of Poland went to other Louis' daughters, because Polish nobility demanded a separate king. Louis' brothers got titles in Southern Italy and in the Balkans as well. If CK players had been forced to play with partition till 1382 they would have lost their minds :D Something like 1200 year is not a harsh sentence :D

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
On the other hand following demise of Louis I of Hungary (from the Capetian dynasty as a matter of fact) in 1382(!) his titles of King of Hungary and King of Poland went to other Louis' daughters, because Polish nobility demanded a separate king. If CK players had been forced to play with partition till 1382 they would have lost their minds :D Something like 1200 year is not a harsh sentence :D

Yes but this is interesting central european gameplay, like dealing with local Diet-like assemblies...etc and it makes no internal bordergore at least. Its different from the early capetian game where you have only a couple of counties.

products-Ax00914.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nope you're stuck that way until late game. Don't worry, everyone else hates it too. In addition to the ways outlined above, you can also get primo through the Create Arch-duchy of Austria decision if you're a vassal of the HRE and have the requirements met.

Reactions:
Excuse me I love it :D The game is finally challenging. CK2 was good for pupils in preschool :D
Eh, not a big fan of insults like this.

But that aside, I have over 2K hours in CK2, and despite this I found CK3 easier the very first time I played it than I find CK2 after playing it for a couple thousands of hours, so I have to say I find your view that CK3 is "finally challenging" quite surprising!

Are you referring just to keeping your realm together at succession, or are you referring to the game(s) as a whole?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Eh, not a big fan of insults like this.
No offence :p I was just kidding.

But that aside, I have over 2K hours in CK2, and despite this I found CK3 easier the very first time I played it than I find CK2 after playing it for a couple thousands of hours, so I have to say I find your view that CK3 is "finally challenging" quite surprising!

Are you referring just to keeping your realm together at succession, or are you referring to the game(s) as a whole?
You're rather right, that the game is overall easier than CK2, because it's still at the very early stage of development, and it lacks many mechanics from CK2. Interface is probably simpler as well. But keeping your realm in one piece is harder now. Also dealing with your brothers, uncles and factions became harder since your relatives almost always have their own duchies and there are plenty of strong title claimants.

• 2Like
Reactions: