• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GreatUberGeek

Count of the Netflix Binge-Watch
4 Badges
Aug 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
An AAR in which Luxembourg kicks butt and takes 4 provinces of Luxembourg. My Scotland AAR sadly has failed. :angry: :sad:
House Rules: Normal, no cheating, reloading, blah blah blah..
Goals: SURVIVE! oh, and become a major European power, take all of the British Isles and colonize Canada.
Will be in the same vein as El Pip's Slovakia HOI3 AAR. Check it out! and also A Survivalist AAR with Salzburg. Check them both out! Heck, check out ATBKing's Luxembourg AAR. Form of writing TBA. Giggle. Epdate tomorrow.

The Reign of Rhodri IV

Rhodri was the first king, or shall we say, duke, of Wales since the horrible English Wars of Conquest in the 13th century. He naturally decidedto hold a conference of English vassals or possible vassals. Here is the transcript of the meeting. France was not invited.

1:30: Rhodri: Hello, everyone. You all know why i invited you here.
Cornwall: Ale? This is the greatest ale i've ever drank since (sniff) Coventry.
Assembled nations:ALE! BEER! WHISKEY! ETC.
Rh: What-no.No. I brought you here to discuss an alliance.
Scotland: But you're vassals.
Rh: Oh...How bout we just introduce ourselves. Wait, where's Munster?
Connacht: I killed him.
(Awkward Silence)
Rh: What should the name be?
Sc: The English Are Bastards?
Rh:Hmm...Who seconds that?
(All countries say 'Aye')
Rh: Alright, but what if the English find out?
Leinster:I got it! The Society of T.E.A.B.!
Rh: Ummm....what?
Le: The Society of The English Are Bastards!
Rh: Okay, that works. What next?
Tyrone: BAR FIGHT!
(ends in undiscernable sounds of fighting and protests)

The next document in the "The History of Wales" by Historian of Possibly English-Welsh Descent will be shown tomorrow.

Hope you liked this little teaser! Please respond and tell me what you think!

Ever see Wales colonize Greenland? Guess what's coming up.

Thank you. I seem to have forgotten to update but oh well. School started and i forgot. But thanks to you, good sir TheChalk, i will update at least weekly, maybe more with support(hint hint).

The Reign of Rhodri IV and Gruffyd IV (1399-1415)

Rhodri was, as noted before, the first Duke(an interesting name for a king) of Wales. However, he was still under vassalage by England. He saw this as no reason he shouldn't be independent. He wrote in his diary,
'The English think they can control us forever. But their assumption is our gift. With time and money, we can beat them. Wales FTW!
He vowed in a public statement to never be absorbed by the English. But his dreams of a free Wales would not come into fruition during his short reign. He slipped in the shower while being murdered by his bodyguard in 1402. His son Gruffydd, there to witness it all, was angry. Naturally, he took it out on the French. He joined England in their war with France. It was him, fueled by his father's dreams, who would start the long process of Welsh independence. He quickly raised money and sent merchants everywhere. In The History of Wales, 1400-1820, it reads He laid the foundations for Welsh independence by making his country equal only to Holland and Navarra. But, alas, he would die in 1415, his legacy unfinished. The Welsh nation had been created, and was here to stay.

Update tomorrow. Please, if you are reading the aar and liking it comment!

Hi GreatUberGeek I just started reading your aar and am enjoying it. I'd also like to mention that almost all of the people following and enjoying your aar are going to be lurkers and because you are so early on in your aar this problem is going to be even worse, like I said your aar looks like its going to be a good one and I don't think you should give it up just yet, give it some time and more people will come out of the woodwork. (I also think longer chunks would be nice, thanks :) )

I am here too. Just curious about Welsh chances against the evil Britons!
I agree with TheWolfe, there are many people (like me) who read but rarely post a comment. Which does not mean that we do not like what we are reading.
Just an advise: sometimes a screenshot of the game or a picture help to create more immersion. My personal taste is for few posts and only when relevant facts occur (i.e. no posts for "A comet sighted!"), but it's really my personal opinion.

I am here too. Just curious about Welsh chances against the evil Britons!
I agree with TheWolfe, there are many people (like me) who read but rarely post a comment. Which does not mean that we do not like what we are reading.
Just an advise: sometimes a screenshot of the game or a picture help to create more immersion. My personal taste is for few posts and only when relevant facts occur (i.e. no posts for "A comet sighted!"), but it's really my personal opinion.

Thanks, guys! I promise, this will be an update! And just so you know, Hastu Neon, since I own a Mac, it's hard to post pictures. Any ideas, anyone?
But on to the update.

From Regency to Possibilities:1 June, 1415-9 February 1432

Gruffydd had died with his son, Owain, too young to rule. So a council of nobles led by the Earl of Cardiff guided the Prince of Wales. It would not be the first time. They basically furthered Wales' policies of trade expansion and centralization. The nobles reasoned that for such a small country, there was not much to decentralize.
Wales' scientists were soon among the best in Europe, equal only to Holland and Ulm in technological superiority. The Earl bragged that his men could research more in a month than the English in a year. Speaking of the English, they were still embroiled in a great war with France. The French coveted the English lands, and the evil frogs would do anything to get it. Fortuneatly the courageous English-no never mind that-the courageous Welsh-Duh-were able to fight back and made France release several vassals, including Alencon, eventually to be Wales' greatest ally(still an OPM though) on the battlefield of Poitou.

Owain eventually ascended to the throne, but was soon faced with a crisis. The arrogant English were threatening war once more. The same enemy. Was Owain to honor the English alliance or decline, but lose prestige? He chose the former(may have mixed it up a bit) and fought against the enemy, which now included Savoy as well. His reign was a fruitful one, bearing many fruits, such as a wonderful baby boy, Llewelyn. But it was all too soon. In the midst of putting down a rebel uprising after increased attempts at expanding the federal government, a rebel shot him in the neck. He fell from his horse, his last words being "Protect Llewelyn."
The nobles heeded his advice, and set up a new council, with the Earl as it's head once more. Historians think that it was the Earl's influence that enabled Llewelyn to become who he would be. And as the regency council ended on the 9th of February, the Earl of Cardiff breathed his last. Llewelyn was ready. But was Wales?

Please subscribe! Thanks to all of you!

Also, does anyone know how to post those images without it just saying
?

Last edited:
Great, will definitely subscribe to this thread, will be nice to see what alternative history can be made on our British Isles :)

Great, will definitely subscribe to this thread, will be nice to see what alternative history can be made on our British Isles :)

Not just on Britain, my friend! Actually, England is getting rather powerful so I must instead turn elsewhere...:laugh:

Just read the first part, and I'm really liking it so far. I'd read more immediately if I didn't have to rush to a family dinner, but you bet I'll be reading more when I get home.

Just read the first part, and I'm really liking it so far. I'd read more immediately if I didn't have to rush to a family dinner, but you bet I'll be reading more when I get home.

Thanks, Gnorf! I was just about to update! And, since Gnorf has come here in all his Swedish glory, I have decided to make this a special two-parter, just for you guys. Here it is.

Greatness and the Welsh War for Independence

Llewelyn IV Kernew was the greatest king Wales had at that time. His rule was characterized by a strong and frim hand of justice, while at the same time ruthlessly engaging in policies to disrupt the English kingdom. His reign was a long one, from 1432 to 1461. He also instigated Wales' saving grace: colonization. As soon as he heard of a navigator speaking of lands far away,beyond our comprehension, like Sweden but farther and bigger, he ordered him to come to his court. The navigator was put in a bag and hauled off, as were many in those days; it was the custom, and let Wales reap huge benefits in technology. Llewelyn decided, as a practice run, to send a colonist to islands called the 'Azores.' It was an astonishing success. He decided to send even more and commisioned a great explorer, Trahearn Vaughan, to discover new lands. He quickly found new lands called 'Green-Land' and 'Can-ada'. He quickly colonized Green-land, but Can-ada was too far. When told, Llewelyn was reported to have snapped back, "But how many regiments do the moose have?" He knew that if a war with England went downhill, Wales would not be annexed. It was a sound strategy and would pay off later in huge dividends. But then, tragedy struck, perhaps shortening Llewelyn's already long reign. His 21-year old son Cynan died.

Llewelyn would never be the same again.

He would die, 1461, and the nobles took over, led by the Earl of Camarthen. They anxiously awaited a time to strike at England. At 1473, Llewelyn V aceded to the throne and immediately declared war on England. But his armies were no match, and was forced to give away Glamorgan. But Wales was now independent, and Denmark would soon find out, Llewelyn V meant business...

It's kindof two updates! I was going to do Llewelyn IV first and then independence. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I'll change the province names as soon as I can! It's about 1495 in-game right now. We'll see if I can catch up in this AAR so I can get feedback on where to strike. Just went through some awesome wars, and earned some extra provinces. Llewelyn would be proud! Also, what would you suggest for Can-Ada?

EDIT: Don't forget the Welsh Canaries!

Last edited:
I'll change the province names as soon as I can! It's about 1495 in-game right now. We'll see if I can catch up in this AAR so I can get feedback on where to strike. Just went through some awesome wars, and earned some extra provinces. Llewelyn would be proud! Also, what would you suggest for Can-Ada?

EDIT: Don't forget the Welsh Canaries!

Absolutely love the idea of Wales as a colonial master, and absolutely dying to see if and how you can subdue England despite the minor set back of losing Glamorgan. Keep going, I'll be following - let the red dragon soar :)