• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((This looks really cool, I am very keen on this. :) (Long time lurker, first time poster, etc. etc. ad lib ad nauseum)

I was going to play as a militarist, but it looks like there's already too many to be practical/fun, so now I dunno who to play as. ThunderHawk3, is there any class you think is underrepresented and need somebody to be?

Cheers in advance, really looking forward to this.))

((Uh, there's no class I think is underrepresented per se. Labor Leaders have fewer players than any other class but they're a later game class and their play is much more complicated. Every other class is pretty well populated.))

((You can never have too many politicians, I suppose))

((Private-Privy Council))

These Jacobins are completely out of hand. Eavesdropping on the privy council? What will they do next- bomb the palace? I suggest we triple the guard detachment for the king and double for the privy council.

-Conte Bonaretti

((Privy Council - Private)

You certainly bring up a very important point Marquess di Montezemolo, one that requires very serious consideration from this Council. I'll admit that as a writer myself, perhaps I have some bias in favor of the free press, but obviously there must be some necessary restrictions put in place, for the good of society and to preserve the dignity of its institutions. Perhaps you have heard about the newest bill proposed in the Chamber of Deputies, the Press and Printing Freedom Bill? I feel that it provides a wonderful framework from which freedom of the press can be ensured, while still preventing abuse by the less reputable members of society. Have you given any thought to the bill in its current form?

-Marquess Carlo Asinari di San Marzano

((Ah, cheers. With that in mind, I guess I'll play as a Politician, mostly because if I'd play as a Labour Leader my character would probably have died before I'd get to do anything, haha))

gioberti_cl.PNG

Name: Eugenio Maria Amadeo di Barnardi
Date of Birth: 11th September, 1803 (33)
Place of Birth: Aosta, Sardinia
Class: Politician
Biography:

Hailing from a family of wealthy ultra-conservative wine growers from the Aosta Valley, Eugenio Mario Amadeo di Barnardi is a rare breed in the new Parliament - an opponent of the mania of Italian nationalism that has swept Sardinia's political scene of late. Deeply conservative and a little mistrustful of the King's democratic experiment, he non-the-less throws his hat into the ring to oppose what he percieves as rampant liberalism that is sweeping the land.

di Barnardi doesn't like the entrenched power of aristocracy much, but if thats the alternative to runaway liberalism he'll take it. He sees the excessive growth of the power of Capital and Industry as leading to an era of wealth-driven moral degeneracy, and seeks to ensure that Capital is under the control of the government and does not result in an era of debauchery. He is a stern supporter of monarchy, the Papacy, and the Divine Right to rule, and sees any attempt to remove it as treason. He is sternly opposed to the growth of Italian Unification movements, seeing them as an attempt to remove the legitimacy and sanctity of the Pope, an arm of rampant liberalism, and removing the power of the King of Sardinia-Piedoment in favour of that of all of Italy.

Eugenio Maria Amadeo di Barnardi is a rock of the Old Era, standing firm in a sea of new-fangled Liberal degeneracy, and he isn't moving any time soon.

Last edited:
((I think our characters are going to be great friends, Glueth :p ))

On the Situation in Genoa,

With General Recommendations for the Kingdom

Il Prefetto - Vol. 1

Friends, you have doubtlessly heard of the disturbances affecting the City of Genoa and its environs. Though I cannot believe this is now expected of myself rather than presumed, I condemn the violence without qualification. Such defilement of law and order, regardless of motive, is abhorrent. His Majesty's Government commands loyalty from all men, as do the lawful authorities. Never must popular violence become a means to power; we all recall the Revolution in France and its bloody outcome. I fear, however, this this carnage is a symptomatic of a sickness at the heart of the Kingdom. Yet instead of diagnosing this chronic ailment, our stately physicians have reserved themselves to merely treating the tissue.

At the conclusion of the election, I made a prognostication that the established order would be confronted with a dilemma: whether to accept the greater society into its ranks, and risk a relative loss of privilege, or to reject them, and risk rebellion. I fear that this is already being borne out by events. We do not know when the new Government of His Majesty is forthcoming, but it is a foregone conclusion that it shall be exclusive to the dominant party. Nor have there been any proffers of cooperation in this parliament. I myself have made several entreaties to the Traditionalist leadership, offering the collaboration of the League in the Kingdom's interest; they appear increasingly in vain. For all our efforts, we receive nothing but scorn and slander. The only reference to the existence of the League is in the public press, where we are smeared as cloaked Jacobins and implicated in any form of riotous unrest, regardless of its provenance. And as they pour their scathing denigration upon the legal and patriotic opposition, the unrest continues.

I cannot fathom the animosity our patriotic movement attracts from the ruling party. It would appear it is not enough for them to form a qualified majority of the Chamber, and to monopolise the Senate and His Majesty's Privy Council. Nothing short of the total absence of opposition seems sufficient to give them comfort. To rebut but one of the claims, made by the Marquis di Villamarina: neither myself, nor the League, have any connection with Signori Bagnoli and Morpugo. They do not appear on the list of this movement's membership. They may perhaps have voted for the Praetorians, but I am not privy to this information - and I would question how the Marquis was. Naturally, I reject any assault upon His Majesty and the constitutional pillars of His Majesty's Government, but equally do I reject any sly and disingenuous efforts to tar the sound name of this movement. We are staunchly supportive of His Majesty, as any cursory glance at our platform and policy would attest. We refuse to be treated like criminals.

Yet this is typical of the reaction these disturbances have aroused. Instead of seeking to alleviate the general dissatisfaction, the authorities have merely thought to smother it. A new bill regulating the press has appeared, so comprehensive as to cover every public matter yet simultaneously so vague as to render discussion itself impossible. Were it to pass in its present form, as it may well do, the newspapers would be reduced to endless deliberations on the weather - and only on good days. I do believe that the patriotic press should be regulated to exclude material of an inciting or dissident nature, but this bill is not the panacea we seek; its elastic clauses appear more designed to ensnare than to enlighten. We are all to be criminals now, expected to demonstrate our loyalty rather than have it presupposed. Is this the sign of a society confident in its leadership?

To that leadership, I once more implore: seek to conciliate, not to condemn. The barbarous agenda of the agitators is incomprehensible, but the distresses that fuel their energies are not. If we wish to see an end to the politics of the street, then we must return politics to parliament. Recognition must be offered to all political parties, who should likewise seek collaboration rather than conflict. His Majesty's Government must solicit the opinions of the nation, so as to glean the source of discontent and thereby redress it. Moreover, they must be prepared to accept parliament as the essential institution, not a mere adjunct to their personal prerogative. For only if the nation can truly achieve its aims via parliament shall we see a return to peace.

God preserve His Majesty and the Kingdom,

Constantino Telemaco Parassani

Quotidiano della Verità

Praetorians betray their Progressive electorate

TURIN - The hopes for meaningful change are quickly crushed as Constantino Telemaco Parassani, leader of the Praetorian party, denounces the Genovan street protests after Traditionalist inquiries. "The barbarous agenda of the agitators is incomprehensible", says Parnassi, calling for the same agenda of reforms through the Traditionalist-dominated Parliament instead. This once again leaves us with serious concerns regarding the sincerity of our politicians; are the Praetorians really dedicated to reform, or are they simply trying to exploit this crisis to gain more seats?

More on page 3...

I find it appalling that after such flawed elections, the protesters in Genoa are described as "barbarous" agitators who are to be suppressed. The legitimate concerns of these people must be addressed and the only way to achieve this is to grant the Genovans (and any municipality in our Kingdom) the right to live their own lives and decide what is best for their own community! We are a country of God-fearing, capable citizens who are perfectly capable of fending for themselves. I, for one, think we must let them.

- Don Alessandro Sardegno

Name:
Marzio Pedrotti
349px-FC3A9lix_Nadar_1820-1910_portraits_EugC3A8ne_Delacroix_restored.jpg

Born:
September 8, 1800
Class:
Politican
Background:
Marzio Pedrotti was the second son of a merchant family in Cagliari and grew up surrounded by the Napoleonic Wars. He grew up on Sardinia and received his education there. It was in Sardinia that Pedrotti began to harden as a fierce opponent to the liberalism of the French Revolution and as a proponent for isolationism. In the aftermath of the wars he settled in the Aosta Valley region and established a successful law practice. For his efforts he began to be affectionately nicknamed "Contadino Salvatore." Eventually he decided to branch out from local law and pursue a career representing the people of the region- and fighting against liberalism.

((Flamedawg? How much did Andre have to give you to join this game? :laugh:))

((Privy Council, private))

Speech delivered during a session of the Private Council

5MbalHu.jpg

Having pondered my options and after lengthy discussions with the Traditionalist leaders, I have come to believe that supporting a government led by this faction would be the lesser evil. I despise factionalism and strife, and the recent events only strengthen my resolve: these elections are a mistake for they are divisive by nature. How can the King's subjects remain true to their obligation towards their betters and the Holy Church, if the nobility encourages the creation of artificial rifts within the social fabric? How can the nobility benevolently advise the monarch to help him rule, if we forget our birth and purpose to gain fallacious political power? These elections should be abolished, and his Majesty should instead appoint the House.

But if we are to respect the law and his Majesty's desires, we need to help him choose a Prime Minister. I thus support the Pes's nomination to this high office, and so do I believe the other Pes will make a good Chief of the Army.

Regarding the worrisome jacobin agitation, I believe the leaders should be facing justice. Let the police and the forces of order remove them from their positions, and keep them from further harming the realm. The politicians who dare commit lèse-majesté should also face justice, we cannot allow this to go any further. For the King and everything we hold sacred we must destroy the carbonari before they destroy us. I also support the interdiction of the Pretorian party, that is infested with liberals, maybe through an abolition of the parliament altogether.

Vincenzo-Ettore Ferrero Guglielmo Visconti di Modrone, Marquis of Vimodrone, Count of Lonate Pozzolo

((Welcome, Glueth! I like your character - Italian unification is silly ;)))

((Yeah, I can see why everybody is jumping onto the bandwagon for it, but somebody has to oppose it))

((I think our characters are going to be great friends, Glueth :p ))

((You should get on IRC, we might have things to discuss :D))

"Degenerates!" Eugenio spat, furiously stubbing his cigar out on the windowsill. "Filthy, liberal, Carbinaro degenerates!"

Luigi put down the newspaper, and sighed. On the front page, the news of the Genoa riots ran.

"You may have made that point," he said. "Many times," he added.

"I don't know what the King was thinking, allowing these... nationalists into the Parliament. His father wouldn't have stood for this. He didn't stand for this!"

"His father wouldn't stand for much. He wasn't a man for standing, was Charles Felix. Preferred to sit down, and let the Austrians do all the work."

"Hah. Funny," Eugenio said. "One would think you were a liberal. You are a lawyer. It wouldn't surprise me."

His friend shrugged. "God knows I loathe them just as much as the next man. But you know as well as I do that what the King wants, he does. Thats what Divine Right is. We're compelled by ideology to accept it. Rebelling against the King is a luxury only the Liberals get."

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"What can you do? Run against them? Swan-dive headfirst into the pit of degeneracy?"

Eugenio ashed his cigar, and looked out the window. Below him, the grape vines of the Aosta vinyards swayed serenely in the summer breeze. The leaves were relatively quiet now, but perhaps there was a harsher wind coming.

"Its an idea," Eugenio said, quietly.

"Hah, you in politics? There's a thought," quipped Luigi. "Can you imagine yourself in parliament? You would have an apoplexy within minutes. Seconds, even, if you saw a liberal early enough."

Eugenio grinned. "Like you said, what else can I do? Somebody has to stop the degenerates." With that, he grabbed his pen and a piece of paper. That arch-degenerate himself, the Bonaparte, did once say that he feared four newspapers more than he did a thousand bayonets - perhaps now he would be proven right, in that at least.

((Ok , if some demagogue doesn't try to reveal Mathrim's speech to the Privy Council to the public, they are bad at their jobs.))

((Ok , if some demagogue doesn't try to reveal Mathrim's speech to the Privy Council to the public, they are bad at their jobs.))

((Oh yeah, lol, there are supporters of absolutism in Piedmont, which has been absolute monarchy a few months ago.... Incriminating news indeed. big deal to reveal! :D))

Eugenio Maria Amadeo di Barnardi would like to join i Tradizionalisti.

Though I do so with grave reservations and a significant degree of suspicion of their aims of free trade and Italian national unification, with some trepidation I feel that they at least take a stand on and against the runaway liberalism displayed by the Liberals and the Praetorians.

Last edited:
Lega del Bene Pubblico
League of the Public Weal
h9RqWHH.gif

Foedere et Religione Tenemur - Bound by Treaty and Religion​

It is an honour for me to announce the creation of a league for like-minded thinkers and good Catholics, a league that will endeavour to make the will of the monarch an the Holy Church manifest and applied. Our League will influence policies in order to make them truer to the real nature of our state, inherently Christian, and to protect the King's subject from the predatory ambitions of the liberals.

Political parties are by nature factional, brew discontent and disunity, and factionalism weakens our God-given order and leads to ruin. The members of the League aren't ill-mannered plebs and wouldn't fall to such depths, this League isn't a party. Instead, it is an influence group, a club of gentlemen who know what is best for the country and will do their utmost to preserve the King, his authority, his subjects and our faith.

Italian unification is a carbonari dream, a fraud that would weaken the Holy Father and this Bonapartist utopia must be fought, with violence if there is no alternative. Italian states have divided the peninsula since the fall of the old Roman Empire, and countless generations of good Christians lived in various Italian states, and were able to live as good men. Italian unity wouldn't make the people more pious or more loyal to our monarch, instead the various rulers are each loved by their own populations.

Austria, as protector of the Italian states, must be our stalwart ally and policies that would attempt to undermine the Emperor's strength cannot come to fruition, for this would lead to widespread unrest and strife. The Holy Alliance will protect the European order and we must, as a responsible nation, support it and should our hand be forced, fight for the Alliance. Otherwise, conflict must be avoided to spare the lives of our brave soldiers and to preserve stability and order.

Our ancestors led good Christian lives, and modernity isn't a goal per se. Technical progress must be viewed in a positive light but not idealized, we do not need it for its own sake. We wish to protect the lives and production means of small artisans, and should raise tariffs to protect them and our way of living.

Vincenzo-Ettore Ferrero Guglielmo Visconti di Modrone, Marquis of Vimodrone, Count of Lonate Pozzolo ((Myself))
Eugenio Maria Amadeo di Barnardi ((Glueth))
Giacomo Bonaretti count of Nice ((Andre Massena))
Marquis Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa ((LatinKaiser))
Camillo Asti Angelino ((Plank of Wood))
Don Claudio Ferrero Gabriele ((99KingHigh))

((Okay so this isn't a party, it's a faction to show the Anglophile freetarders who want to unite Italy what proper consevatism should be :p Anybody can join, the idea is that it will enable us to show who clearly doesn't want free trade and nationalism (and reforms, urgh) and to join our forces))

Last edited:
((Oh yeah, lol, there are supporters of absolutism in Piedmont, which has been absolute monarchy a few months ago.... Incriminating news indeed. big deal to reveal! :D))

((Big deal to reveal! :D))

Lega del Bene Pubblico
League of the Public Weal
h9RqWHH.gif

Foedere et Religione Tenemur - Bound by Treaty and Religion​

It is an honour for me to announce the creation of a league for like-minded thinkers and good Catholics, a league that will endeavour to make the will of the monarch an the Holy Church manifest and applied. Our League will influence policies in order to make them truer to the real nature of our state, inherently Christian, and to protect the King's subject from the predatory ambitions of the liberals.

Political parties are by nature factional, brew discontent and disunity, and factionalism weakens our God-given order and leads to ruin. The members of the League aren't ill-mannered plebs and wouldn't fall to such depths, this League isn't a party. Instead, it is an influence group, a club of gentlemen who know what is best for the country and will do their utmost to preserve the King, his authority, his subjects and our faith.

Italian unification is a carbonari dream, a fraud that would weaken the Holy Father and this Bonapartist utopia must be fought, with violence if there is no alternative. Italian states have divided the peninsula since the fall of the old Roman Empire, and countless generations of good Christians lived in various Italian states, and were able to live as good men. Italian unity wouldn't make the people more pious or more loyal to our monarch, instead the various rulers are each loved by their own populations.

Austria, as protector of the Italian states, must be our stalwart ally and policies that would attempt to undermine the Emperor's strength cannot come to fruition, for this would lead to widespread unrest and strife. The Holy Alliance will protect the European order and we must, as a responsible nation, support it and should our hand be forced, fight for the Alliance. Otherwise, conflict must be avoided to spare the lives of our brave soldiers and to preserve stability and order.

Our ancestors led good Christian lives, and modernity isn't a goal per se. Technical progress must be viewed in a positive light but not idealized, we do not need it for its own sake. We wish to protect the lives and production means of small artisans, and should raise tariffs to protect them and our way of living.

Vincenzo-Ettore Ferrero Guglielmo Visconti di Modrone, Marquis of Vimodrone, Count of Lonate Pozzolo

((Okay so this isn't a party, it's a faction to show the Anglophile freetarders who want to unite Italy what proper consevatism should be :p Anybody can join, the idea is that it will enable us to show who clearly doesn't want free trade and nationalism (and reforms, urgh) and to join our forces))

Eugenio Maria Amadeo di Barnardi formally declares his signature upon the manifesto of the League of the Public Weal, signifying his acceptance of its intents and values.