• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Frederico Mopurgo
Class: Demagogue
Date of Birth: 15 May, 1801 (35)
Place of Birth: Genoa, Ligurian Republic, now Sardinia-Piedmont
Bio: The first and only son of a lawyer, Frederico Vittorio Mopurgo was blessed with the chance of education at the prestigious University of Turin. Intending to go into law himself, Frederico absorbed works of law, economics, history, and philosophy with a voracious appetite. His father being a enlightenment man himself and himself a secret admirer of the French Revolutionaries (at least the philosophy thereof), Frederico was likewise influenced by the ideas of liberalism and Italian nationalism throughout his time at university. This led him to come into contact with the Carbonari, a secret society of Italian revolutionaries, frustrated at the absolutism that pervaded in Italy in the years following the final defeat of Napoleon. Frederico had his first encounter with violent rebellion was in 1821, when he participated in the students' revolt.
After University, Frederico practiced law and operated as a lawyer for men of poorer class, earning support from the working class of Genoa. In 1828, however, Frederico formed an underground newspaper, the Amico del popolo (Friend of the People), advocating causes such as increased liberties, Italian nationalism, and workers' rights. The Amico del popolo continues to publish issues, warning the people that despite the new, more moderate constitution, now is not a time of complacency. And with the ideas liberalism increasingly penetrating the reactionary bulwarks of Europe, Frederico and other like-minded thinkers believe that the present is the time to strike down the old order and bring in the new.

((Really they're not. Nationalist reformist free traders. Bourgeois liberals, if you prefer :p))
((Anything not radical republican and pro-Italian unification is too traditional for Mazzini. Also, hello, VibraniumTaco!))

((Hello, fellow radical-type!))

Expanded Play for Demagogues: Yes
Expanded Play for Militarists: Yes
Dynasticism: Yes
Carrot and Stick: No
Expanded Colonialism: Yes
Easier Bonuses and Penalties: Yes
Franchise and Parties: Yes
Direct Effect of Taxation: Yes
Party Regionalism: Yes

((Haven't Read Through Much of the past pages, but definitely jumping in.))

I5t6eSQ.jpg

Name: Benito Carli
Born: October 13, 1799; Ciriè near Torino
Class: Politician
Nationality: Sardinian

Bio:

Benito Carli was born into a family of passionate intellectuals in the quiet "suburb" of Ciriè on October the 13, 1799 in Ciriè a quiet town just outside the bustling Torino. His entire childhood was spent behind books, marveling at globes, and debating politics and philosophy with his elder relatives. His father, Basilio Carli, saw great potential in his son and sent him at age 14 off to study across Italy. For the next 7 years he traveled back and forth between Florence, Milan, and Rome studying under renowned Italian scholars and theologians.

Upon returning to Torino he began to work under some of the cities leading aristocrats and politicians to build his own proper repertoire. By age 32 he had grown in his local renown and was often well-liked for his kind, non-confrontational nature. Although he was quite progressive in his own personal beliefs and philosophies, he was not one to dissent from society. Carli often preferred to work with wide amounts of his colleagues to form solid compromised laws. He is driven by a constant drive to continue his intellect and pleasures greatly in passing laws to better the society. He resides in a nice, but small downtown "apartment" in Torino and often enjoys strolling the city streets.

((Haven't Read Through Much of the past pages, but definitely jumping in.))

(Just read the rules and such and you'll be fine, welcome to the fray good man. Welcome to the fray.)

Ernesto quietly announces his joining of Il Pretoriani before going back to tend to his clothes factory

Name: Count Luigi Maria di Arborea
Born: 1789
Class: Aristocrat
Background: Born into an old Noble family on the island of Sardinia, he remembers his father telling him tales of the horrors of revolutionary France and wishes to never see such a thing happen to his nation. Utterly loyal to the King and the institution of Monarchy, he sees it as his duty to defend the monarchy at all costs.

Last edited:
Name: Count Luigi Maria di Cagliari
Background: Born into an old Noble family on the island of Sardinia, he remembers his father telling him tales of the horrors of revolutionary France and wishes to never see such a thing happen to his nation. Utterly loyal to the King and the institution of Monarchy, he sees it as his duty to defend the monarchy at all costs.

((Welcome, Imperator! I don't think I've seen you in a while.

I think the County of Cagliari is already taken, unfortunately. Densley is helpfully keeping a list of aristocratic titles and styles [post=18300409]here.[/post]))

Expanded Play for Demagogues: Yes
Expanded Play for Militarists: Yes
Dynasticism: Yes
Carrot and Stick: Yes ((There is no "e" at the end of Camilleri, Densley))
Expanded Colonialism: Yes
Easier Bonuses and Penalties: Yes
Franchise and Parties: Yes
Direct Effect of Taxation: Yes
Party Regionalism: Yes

Guiseppe Camilleri
Industrialist

((Welcome, Imperator! I don't think I've seen you in a while.

I think the County of Cagliari is already taken, unfortunately. Densley is helpfully keeping a list of aristocratic titles and styles [post=18300409]here.[/post]))

((Yes its been a while, I followed Edge of Europe even after I left, still can't believe you heathens abolished the monarchy :angry:. Well guess I'll fix that then.))

Name: Count Luigi Maria di Arborea

((Seriously???))

(Speaking of, you made your character yet? Been waiting to fill in your spot on the list already :p)

((Well, someone took my county three posts after I asked if it was available!

This requires a great deal of thought, I must get in character :p))

((Be the Count of Nice, a feudal county that has existed since 1388))

((My understanding was that the Count of Nice was of the House Savoy, though I could be wrong on that. Either way, since I've discussed with a number of people how hard it is to find historical noble families in Sardinia-Piedmont, I figure I'll leave one of the ones I found when looking for a title for myself.

Count of Pralungo - Thaon di Revel Family - http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaon_di_Revel

Edit: After a bit of looking around, it looks like it was never actually a feudal holding, but was called the County of Nice administratively. From the Italian Wikipedia:

"Nice became part of the Savoy through the Dedication of Saint-Pons September 28th 1388 , in which Amadeus VII of Savoy , taking advantage of the internal strife in Provence, negotiated with John Grimaldi Baron Boglio (governor of Nice and Provence Eastern) the passage of Garibaldi and Ubaye valley to the Savoys, who called New Lands of Provence . The New Lands then took the name of the County of Nice in 1526 , although in this context the term "county" was used in the administrative sense, and not feudal."
))

Last edited: