• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The 1836 Parties​

12198090531909861341mansilhouettesvghi_zpse7bbc66f.png

I Tradizionalisti Leader: Vincenzo Pec ((Marschalk))

Pro Military/Moralism/Interventionism/Free Trade/Limited Citizenship = [1+0+1+1+1=4]​

The Traditionalists are a political grouping dedicated to upholding the peace within a post-Napoleonic Europe, founded on the principles of a strong state, a benevolent Church and a constitutional monarch. We support pragmatism and moderation, though recognise the need for reform in the modern age. Furthermore, we feel it is imperative that we forge a true and united Italian state for the benefit of all Italians – not just to bring peace and stability to the Italian peninsula, but so that all Italians may enjoy safety and security from external antagonism, however it may manifest itself.

These are the principles on which we stand united.

UHmvF3c.jpg

La Sinistra Leader: Alberto Perrizini ((Belgiumruler))

Anti-Military/Pluralism/Interventionism/Protectionism/Limited Citizenship [2+2+1+0+1=6]​

La Sinistra Partito is a liberal, monarchist party seeking to protect the rights of the artisans and businessmen. The party favours reformation of the social and political state of the nation while upholding the traditions born from the monarchy

Profile.jpg

I Pretoriani Leader: Constantino Telemaco Parassani ((Syriana))

Jingoism/Pluralism/Laissez-Faire/Free Trade/Limited Citizenship [0+1+2+1+1=5]​

The Praetorians are a political union bound by the patriotic desire to see the Kingdom raised to the ranks of the Great Powers, such as Great Britain and France. Their principles are modernity, prosperity and martial valour. They believe that the strongest shield of the Monarchy is her loyal subjects: the industrialists, who drive the wheels of industry and fill her coffers; the militarists, who fight in her defence; and the politicians, who organise the people in her support. They believe that the people must be given a say in government commensurate to their fidelity to the King, and that the best vehicle for this is a parliamentary system presided over by a constitutional monarch. The Praetorian programme is a synthesis of free capitalism and conquest, which will make this Kingdom the master of the Mediterranean, the Mecca of European trade and enterprise, and the envy of the globe.

-------------------------

Player Actions Needed:
The 1836 General Election has now begun. VOTE! I need your vote for I Tradizionalisti, La Sinistra, or I Pretoriani. Please vote for the party, not the candidate. Party leaders need to tell me if they intend to start their party as regional or national (I will assume national in the absence of other information) and if regional, which region they are competing in.

Next election there will be a period before the General Election for the parties to write platforms and campaign, but for the moment I wanted to get the ball rolling.

As always, remember to bold your votes or they might not be counted.

Sample Ballot:

Party: Any Party/Abstain

[Your Class Here] ((Very important! I won't count your vote without this))
[Your Bonuses Here] ((If you have any personal bonuses - which no one does yet - you should list the value here. The general politician bonus doesn't count))

Voting independent will add just one seat to the independent category - assuming you win. If you vote independent please say in what region you'll take your independent seat.

Polls will close in three days, at 8:00 PM PST 11/2 (Sunday). I think that's 4:00 AM GMT, 11/3, assuming this concept of "three day elections" hasn't confused me endlessly.

Party: La Sinistra
[Labour Leader]
[No Bonuses]

~ Giuseppe di Antico

Nationalists and Carbonari Liberals, all of them!

Abstain

[Politician]
[No Bonus]

~ Camillo Asti Angelino

Party: I Pretoriani

[Militarist]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hereby claim command of the Arma dei Granatieri, an army composed of two regiments of infantry numbering, in total, 6,000 men.

- Lt. Colonel Marco Vitali

1836PPScreen_zps01934931.png

((This image says how much PP everyone has. You'll notice that aristocrats have 6 PP per person. Everyone else has 1 PP per person.

So until I next update this sheet, that's how much PP each class member wields. When I do update this sheet, I'll post another similar graphic in thread.

Additionally, militarists can now claim their commands. To be fair to people who aren't in a favorable time zone, if more than one militarist claims the same command, I'll roll a die or flip a coin to decide who gets it. We'll finalize commands in 24 hours or when all the claims are in. You can only claim one command.))

Party: I Tradizionalisti

[Aristocrat]

[Aristocrat]

Horrible choices, all of them. This election is a Masonic conspiracy. I Tradizionalisti are the last bad among them, but their free trade rankles me. I suspect Pec is a Mason.

-Count Bonaretti

((these parties are so similar :laugh:))

Party: Abstain

I similarly lay claim to the command of the Army of Sardinia.

[Militarist]

~ Major Napoleone d'Auria

[Aristocrat]

((I agree; free trade and nationslism does not sound like pre-1850s Sardian-Piedmontese conservatism.))

((Oh yes, of course. I forgot one thing. Apparently the actual number of Sardinian deputies is a secret lost to history. I have therefore decided that constituencies will be 10,000 pops (technically 40,000 people). This means Sardinia-Piedmont has four regions with a total of 93 constituencies between them. Here's the breakdown.

Piemonte - 64
Sardegna - 13
Savoie - 12
Provence - 4

Parties may wish to keep this information in mind when deciding whether they are regional or national parties and deciding which region or regions to be active in if they are regional.))

(Industrialist)
No bonus

[Aristocrat]

The Tradizionalisti worry with there ideals of 'Free Trade' however I believe they are the best to uphold our glorious monarchy!

-Conte Luigi Maria di Arborea

Joaquim José Inácio

Born: August 1st, 1808
Place of Birth: Lisbon, Kingdom of Portugal
Class: Militarist

Bio:

Born in Portugal, Joaquim spent very little time there. His father was a sailor and had been assigned the mission of transporting the Royal Family's effects to Brazil that very year, moving as the Royal Court did. Brazil at that time was the richest and wealthiest colony of the Portuguese Empire, the jewel in Lisbon's imperial crown, and knowing a good thing when he saw one Joaquim's father took his wife and children along. Upon arrival, they settled in Rio de Janeiro.

Joaquim began his education as per usual, which is to say at home. Rapidly excelling beyond the knowledge of his mother he was duly enrolled in a Catholic education, notably studying under Januário da Cunha Barbosa, a man who proved to be one of the later leading lights of the Brazilian War of Independence. As at home Joaquim quickly surpassed the abilities of the curriculum and graduated from Catholic school to enter the Naval Academy as an aspiring cadet at the age of fourteen in 1822. He graduated a year later, with the rank of midshipman.

During the War of Independence Joaquim sided with the Brazilians, and signed up immediately for the Imperial Armada. Although the surrender of Portuguese forces meant that he saw no action during the War of Independence proper the later severe instability of the Empire provided the young sailor with plenty of opportunities. Joaquim served His Imperial Majesty with distinction during the Insurrection of the Equator and the Cisplatine War and rose eventually to the rank of First Lieutenant. Unfortunately however the winds quickly shifted. Dom Pedro I soon afterwards departed for Portugal, leaving the Brazilian throne in the hands of Pedro II who was in his minority. The nation was plunged anew into instability and Joaquim chose the wrong side.

At the time Dom Pedro II was barely out of diapers, or so it seemed, but a debate raged on concerning whether the age of majority should be lowered to allow His Imperial Majesty to accept full powers. An unsurprising opponent of this was José Bonifácio de Andrada, who had been left be Pedro I as the principal guardian of his son and de facto Regent. He was quickly outgunned however and was forced from his position and offices in 1833, being exiled then to France after accusations of treason.. A general purge of his supporters then commenced and Joaquim happened to have made his support from the Regency well known among his fellow officers. He was accused of treason, but acquitted by the truly honourable judge. Not to be let down however, his enemies had him court-martialled and dishonourably discharged. Joaquim had little choice but to flee with his life and children into exile while back at home Pedro II assumed full powers at the age of 14.

He and his family soon settled in Genoa, lured by its naval past and the waters of the Mediterranean. Relying on his bountiful past experience and not a little bit of bribery he managed to secure a Captain's commission, commanding the frigate Maria Immaculata. Joaquim tended to ignore politics -- a man who had grown accustomed to the constitutionalism of Brazil, he could not be considered absolutism's biggest fan -- but was quietly pleased by the liberalisation that the Statute provided. As a man accustomed to constitutionalism but staunchly monarchist after having fought the Riograndese and soon-to-be Uruguayans, Joaqium joined ranks with the monarchist, constitutional, but aggressively jingoistic I Pretoriani. As an immigrant Joaquim was taken by their almost Roman idealism, and was as well quite blind to the teeming cultural and linguistic differences that characterised the Italian peninsula. Not for he the sensible parochialism of the conservative class, but a Mediterranean drenched in purple and as Imperial as his homeland.

Class: Militarist

I would appreciate, and indeed, intend to acquire, command of the Army of the Sea.

-Cpt. Joaquim José Inácio
of the Maria Immaculata

Last edited:
[Abstain]
[Demagogue]

These parties are all wolfs in sheep's clothing, no more friends to the Italian people than the Austrians or the French!

-Frederico Mopurgo

Last edited:
gounod,1841.jpg

Name: Ascanio Sobrero
Born: 1812
Birthplace: Torino
Class: Labor Leader

Ascanio is an unusual young man: through luck, good parents, and personal inspiration, he's become literate and numerate far beyond most of his working class contemporaries. That education, and a considerable charisma, have made him a voice that is listened to by his fellow workman. Ascanio earns his bread in an artisan's shop in Turin, but spends most of his time talking and planning with similar minded young men who share a goal of organizing their fellows into some sort of workplace association that can persuade their employers to improve wages and conditions.

Ascanio's ballot:

Party: La Sinistra (and Ascanio wishes to join the party, not merely vote for it)
Class: [Labor Leader]

Last edited:
I claim the Arma dei Granatieri - Army of Granatieri.

Raffeale Alighieri