• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OHgamer

Victoria's Plastic Surgeon
38 Badges
Jan 28, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
With VIP:R 0.1 now released publicly, I am announcing my intention to produce an AAR playing Prussia. The goal will be to illustrate many of the new functionalities and challenges of 0.1 from the Prussian context as Prussia is one of the most popular nations to play.

Over two years ago I began the first version of this AAR for VIP 0.4, though fate decreed that I'd not be able to complete it. Hopefully the fates will be kinder. I've not written many AARs so please be kind in your comments. I tend to be a cautious player and not a warmonger, so those who are hoping for a World Conquest will be disappointed. I am also a micromanager from hell so the pace of the game, and the AAR, will likely be slow, especially as I wish to highlight many of the new features in 0.1. As one of the lead developers of VIP, continued work and testing for the mod will likely also slow down my progress. Also, as I own my own small business there may be delays in when I can update due to my real-life concerns. So with all those caveats noted, bear with me.

My goals for this AAR are :

1) A successful, historical unification of Germany under Prussian leadership. Post-unification the creation of a democratic, progressive German society under the leadership of a constitutional monarchy providing the best standard of living for its population, both workers and employers.

2) Becoming the largest exporter by value in the world by the end of the game. The only exception is if England annexes British India, in which case I will shoot for number two exporter in value the world. All economic activity will be done under the aegis of either laissez-faire or interventionist governments, and the state will not intervene in rail construction, though may very well intervene in factory expansion if felt necessary to maintain the economy at peak performance.

3) Keep emigration to a minimum amount as much as possible. A long-term goal will to have a population of 120 million within the borders of continental Germany (ie not including colonies) by 1935.

4) My foreign policy goal post unification - the destruction of the Habsburg Empire into its constituent national parts with the German parts absorbed into Greater Germany and the other regions made into satellites under my domination (ie creation of Mittleeuropa). Beyond that, perhaps intervention in the Ottoman or Russian Empires to bring about the establishment of nation-states in their non-national culutre lands. In general will do all in my power to keep the other powers of Europe generally friendly. Plans for colonization not fully developed yet but will be, in general, limited to ensure British friendship. A strong presence for Prussia or Germany in the Americas is also being considered.

For my previous AAR I used the style of a government yearbook to present the relative data, and I think that will be the form I use again.

To be continued.....

Das Jahrbuch
des Königreich Preußens
im Jahre 1835

Almanac of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1835

Political Map of Prussia in December 1835, with location of military garrisons

Total Population, 31 December 1835 : 14.175.000

Statistical Information on the entire Kingdom

Current Status 31 December 1835

Regional Statistics And Information

Map of Prussia's Ten States (Länder)​

1 - Rhineland

Population 31 December 1835 : 2.571.000
Number of subdivisions : 9
Number of factories : 2

Statistical Information on Rhineland

2 - Westfalia

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.363.000
Number of subdivisions : 5
Number of factories : 1

Statistical Information on Westfalia

Last edited:
3 - Saxony

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.419.000

Statistical Information on Saxony

4 - Brandenburg

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.831.000

Statistical Information on Brandenburg

5 - Pomerania

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.111.000

Statistical Information on Pomerania

6 - West Prussia

Population 31 December 1835 : 696.000
Number of subdivisions : 4

Statistical Information on West Prussia

7 - East Prussia

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.276.000
Number of subdivisions : 4

Statistical Information on East Prussia

Last edited:
8 - Posen

Population 31 December 1835 : 1.213.000
Number of subdivisions : 3
Number of factories : 0

Statistical Information on Posen

9 - Silesia

Population 31 December 1835 : 2.531.000
Number of factories : 2 (1 Level 2)

Statistical Information on Silesia

10 - Sigmaringen

Population 31 December 1835 : 119.000
Number of subdivisions : 1
Number of factories : 0

Statistical Information on Sigmaringen

Last edited:
Some prussia adivce before you get too far into it.

Spread your garisons to get the bonus on militancy reduction it makes in standard at least as I have not played Prussia with VIP the liberal revolutions much easier as you have lower millitancy in general.

Also get rid of Sigmarion I have bad luck with VIP getting a lot of my events for factories showing up for Sigmarion which doesn't have the POPs to support a single factory never mind a four or five. Give it to someone you'll inherit later preferably whoever own the other province in the state to help its development.

I'm looking forward to this.

Last edited:
náraiC said:
Some prussia adivce before you get too far into it.

Spread your garisons to get the bonus on militancy reduction it makes in standard at least as I have not played Prussia with VIP the liberal revolutions much easier as you have lower millitancy in general.

Also get rid of Sigmarion I have bad luck with VIP getting a lot of my events for factories showing up for Sigmarion which doesn't have the POPs to support a single factory never mind a four or five. Give it to someone you'll inherit later preferably whoever own the other province in the state to help its development.

I'm looking forward to this.

As one of the lead developers of VIP and a beta tester for Victoria, I've got lots of practice with Prussia. ;)

Well the best thing to do with the mil issue pre-LR is to not make the POPs militant in the first place. This means going slowly, keeping taxes low and not trying to rush things, or industrializing too quickly and converting pops to default liberal ones - since PRU starts as conservative and conservative governments will make conservative POPs calm (check the mil reductions from POPs that have same issues and ideology as current ruling govt - can be as high as -0.60 for as long as the govt is in power)

Slow and steady is the key to doing well in Victoria, and i think one of the problems players have is that they try to do too many things too quickly to be #1 ASAP. Victoria is a marathon, not a sprint race.

And on Sigmaringen, agree totallly.

Economic Information

Raw Material and Industrial Goods Stockpile as of 31 December 1835

Raw Materials Produced Within Prussia

Raw Material - Number of Provinces Producing

Grain - 14
Coal - 10
Cattle - 9
Fruit - 6
Fish - 4
Timber - 2
Iron - 1

Industrial Production In Prussia, December 1835

Factory - State(s) In Which It Is Located

Fabric - Rhineland, Silesia (Level 2)
Steel - Westfalia
Cement - Saxony
Canned Food - West Prussia
Lumber - East Prussia
Fertilizer - Pommerania
Ammunition - Brandenburg
Small Arms - Saxony
Winery - Rhineland
Regular Clothes - Silesia
Glass - Brandenburg

Economic Needs Of Prussia

Raw Materials which Prussia can fill part of its demand : Iron, Timber

Raw Materials which Prussia must completely import to fill all demand : Cotton, Wool, Sulphur, Dye

Industrial Goods which Prussia must import to maintain factory production due to deficit in production compared to needs : Steel, Ammunition

Railway Infrastructure Of Prussia 31 December 1835

Experimental Railway linking Berlin to Magdeburg is the limit of our rail system at the end of 1835

This will be interesting.:)

Very informative AAR, I`ll read this to learn Vicky before my AAR reach that timeframe. And I love graphs, statistics, maps etc. Good start :)

My point is that prussia starts with significant starting militancy of 4 in most POPs I think if you split up your armies in to single divisions it can help that disappear quicker. This makes liberal revolution quite a bit easier. Just giving my feed back and ideas to prove I'm an interested reader.

By the way I'm enjoying this already

Military Information

Military Forces As Of 31 December 1835

Army

14 Divisions Active
- 3 Infantry
- 3 Infantry with Artillery Brigade
- 4 Infantry with Engineers Brigade
- 2 Cavalry
- 2 Dragoons

16 Divisions In Reserve

Navy

3 Squadrons Active
- 3 Clipper Transport Squadrons

Strategic Outlook

With defensive alliances with the Habsburg Empire and the members of the German Confederation Prussia's military power, on land at least, ensures her security for the time being. Avoidance of foreign entanglements and maintaining lower military budgets will allow for economic development. The naval situation is much less secure, and the current condition of the navy would not be able to protect Prussia from seaborn invasion and would not greatly help in overseas adventures of more than a limited nature.

With a treasury at 20,000 our financial situation is quite strong, we also have 26 leadership so recruitment of officers looks very promising. 2 diplomatic points to start with.

náraiC said:
My point is that prussia starts with significant starting militancy of 4 in most POPs I think if you split up your armies in to single divisions it can help that disappear quicker. This makes liberal revolution quite a bit easier. Just giving my feed back and ideas to prove I'm an interested reader.

By the way I'm enjoying this already

Oh sure the military can help, but as there is a decade approximately before the LR breaks out, better to follow policies so that most POPs have 0-2 MIL so that when the +3 MIL spikes hit, the overall impact is pops with MIL in the 4-7 range with trendlines negative, and only a few above the 8 danger level.

The World On 31 Dec 1835

Europe. Civil war in Spain between the national government and the Carlists (in red) while in the Low Countries the Belgian revolutionaries fight to gain freedom from the Dutch king.

Africa. Most of the continent under the control of native rulers, with only a few regions, such as the Cape, under direct European control.

South and Southwest Asia. Tensions between the Ottomans and their recalcitrant Egyptian vassal remain at the boil. The British East India Company has secured dominance of most of the Indian Subcontinent either directly or via vassals, though the Panjab and Sind retain their full independence. China dominated the begs of Kashgar in Central Asia while Russia looms meancing over the other khanates of the region, still independent.

Southeast Asia. The Dutch dominance on Java balanced by native control over many of the other islands of the Malay archipelago, while the British East India Company has a foothold in the Straits of Malacca to challenge Dutch dominance

The South Pacific. British claims to Australia tempered by their limited presence along the coast while the interior remains the world of the Aborigine, while several island kingdoms are being introduced to the West via the presence of whalers in the region.

North America. The claims of the United States to hegemony over the continent tempered by the presence of the British in the St Lawrence Valley, the de facto dominance of Native American peoples on the ground in most of the land between the Mississippi River and the Pacific, and Mexico's strong position in the Southwestern part of the continent, though that position is being challenged by the Anglophone settler community of Texas, now in open revolt against the Mexican government.

Mesoamerica. The union of Central American states is under severe internal regionalist pressures.

South America. The integrity of the Brazilian Empire is under threat from rebels in the far south who have formed a "Piratini Republic" while the union of Peru and Bolivia is already showing signs of internal stress.

Prussia's Place In the World

Economic Rankings, sorted by Export Value

Largest Armies 1836

Largest Navies 1836

National Rankings 31 Dec 1835

Looking forward to this AAR. I've been thinking about getting this mod, but I'm not sure how restricted to historical events I'd be. I'm a little surprised that you plan on turing Germany into a liberal constitutional monarchy... Should I assume that some of the 'new functionalities and challenges' of VIP:R involve changes in government?

Good AAR, very clear. I've just started my first VIP game as France and I agree with your analysis on industrialisation; that is trying not to create too many liberals early on. The downside is this means importing more but I've found in vicky it's better to start with shaky finances and make up for it by turning a profit once you've industrialised. I hope the same thing applies to VIP!

dublish said:
Looking forward to this AAR. I've been thinking about getting this mod, but I'm not sure how restricted to historical events I'd be. I'm a little surprised that you plan on turing Germany into a liberal constitutional monarchy... Should I assume that some of the 'new functionalities and challenges' of VIP:R involve changes in government?

In comparison to V:R basic, there have been a few changes in that there is now no financial cost to implement political reforms, and the impacts on MIL of the changes have been tweaked a bit, making the impacts be a bit more dramatic as your plurality rates increase. But other than that not really that much has changed.

Historical events do create a framework for the player, though players who want to play ahistorical seem to find plenty of ways to do so, often leading us developers to rewrite events because of situations we did not envision when creating events. But the important thing to remember is that VIP is not a "finished" mod but always under construction, and open to ideas and suggestions. It is a bit-historic path biased in that more attention has been focused in scripting historic events compared to alt-history ideas, but in future versions the hope is to move to including some alt-history lines of developments once the histroical base is solid.

Are there events in which Britain annexes British india or does the player have to take a hand.

I'm just asking because it could provide significant extra difficulty if Britain could call on the masses of indian manpower.

Last edited: