Powderkeg of Europe - Balkans thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's probably for the best that Romanian culture start in the game and be united. Romanian identity already had begun to form from the recent revolution in Wallachia during the Greek War of Independence, Russian guarantees shortly before start of the game and the upcoming revolutions in 1848 in Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania which were quite nationalist. I can understand the desire to keep Romanian fractured and then unite over time, however outside of Wallachian and Moldavian cultures, what do you add? You need something for the Romanians in Transylvania, Crisana, Bukovina, Maramures, Banat, Dobruja and even Serbia. You could make more regional cultures and use the names of the regions but I don't know if Romanian needs 9 cultures in total. I'm not opposed to regional cultures for Romania, but I think with the complications of other regions inside Austria and Turkey and that Romanian nationalism is about to explode shortly into the game.
Not necessarily. A 3-way division could also work based on the three historical principalities (a.i. Moldavian for the Principality of Moldavia, Habsburgic Bukovina and the Romanian-inhabited parts of the Tsarist Empire; Transylvania for the Romanian-inhabited parts of Transleithania; Wallachian for the Principality of Wallachia).

As for other areas,

- Timok Romanians should be split between Wallachian POPs (speakers of Lower Wallachian subdialects, green in the picture below) and Transylvanian ones (speakers of Banat subdialects, yellow in the picture below):
etnicka-karta-skracenice.jpg

- The Romanians in Dobrudja should be Wallachian in the pre-1878 period (although this is a convenient simplification since there were also Moldavians who came there from Budjak as well), with the upsurge in Romanian population in the post-1878 period being left to the game's migration mechanics given that the development of the modern Romanian Dobrudjan community was the result of settler colonialism (of both Wallachians & Moldavians, plus that of Balkan Vlachs who were encouraged by the Romanian state to come and settle in Dobrudja).

Ultimately though, I do not think that this division is necessary. From the perspective of historical what ifs scenarios, Romanian could have very well developed into a pluricentric language akin to Serbo-Croatian (e.g. had the conservative boyars and clergymen managed to either stop the election of Cuza or to disband the United Principalities following Cuza's abdication, Moldavian nation building and language standardization on the basis of the preexisting churchly language would've been a likely outcome; likewise in the case of Transylvania with those elements of the Romanian elite, of Catholic faith and of Western outlook, who were in favor of political reform within the Habsburg Empire rather than desiring to pursue some pan-Romanian political project alongside their 'less civilized' brethren), but to add too many cultures to the game would be counterproductive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is arguable that one of the most notable areas of the Vicky timeline were the Balkans, being a source of many crises, from the decaying Ottoman empire struggling to hold its own against the tides of nationalism, to the ambitions of the newly arisen Nation states like Serbia (Yugoslavia) and Greece (Megali Idea), to an assassination which brought forward World War I.

I feel like it would be of benefit to begin the discussion on the complex situation there, and to provide ideas on how to be as faithful as possible to the situation there while providing enjoyable gameplay for a player seeking to fulfill said ambitions.

In particular, I wish to begin with a discussion on Serbia's sovereignty status, which has been a divisive topic for Vic 2 modders, some opting for sphereling like Vanilla, while others made it a full-fledged satellite.

This is partially due to the diplomatic limitations of Vic2, however it does pose an interesting question on implementation of said subject relations, not only for Serbia, but the Romanian principalities as well, not to mention the various Namestniki in Russia.

Officially, Serbia was an autonomous subject of the Ottoman Empire until 1878, where it became independent at the Berlin Congress. However, in practice its policies were for the most part sovereign since 1830 and the Second Hatisherif which gave it near-complete internal autonomy at the expense of an annual tribute and certain degree of control over foreign affairs, with Russia acting as protector of said rights.

In 1826 we see the formation of a proper ministry of foreign affairs, which allowed Serbia to conduct diplomacy officially.

Come 1836. we see the first proper diplomatic ties being opened in Serbia, by Austria which established a Consulate. In the following years, Britain, Russia, France and others establish their own Consulates, with the French one in particular often answering to the Embassy in Vienna rather than Constantinople. While officially these consulates had to answer to their respective Ottoman Embassies, in practice they allowed Serbia to conduct its own diplomacy, giving it a large degree of diplomatic sovereignty as well, for example in the French case.

These in turn provided Serbia with a large degree of de-facto sovereignty, complete de-facto sovereignty being achieved by 1867.

While many questions remain on the intricacies of Vicky 3 diplomacy, I hope that the system allows to model the complex affairs in a proper manner, without resorting to an extremely inaccurate representation which had to be resorted to in Vicky 2.

As well, I would like to propose mechanics which allow the Balkan nations, and possibly others as well, to ferment national uprisings in foreign countries, as well as coordinate efforts with said groups. While the Balkan Wars are rather well-known, long before Serbia was independent we saw the formation of a short-lived alliance between Serbia, Montenegro, Greece and Bulgarian/Albanian liberation movements to liberate the Balkans in 1866, spearheaded by Serbia's foreign minister Ilija Garašanin, not to mention active propaganda to encourage uprisings in the event of war between Serbia and the Ottomans. Provided they were successful, they would also unite into a federation, however that one is a question on its own.

This in turn would provide means for the player to actively engage in ambitious diplomatic endeavours, and fulfill the goals set out by said countries, in particular the unification of the Southern Slavs, and thereby make gameplay in the Balkans more unique, historically accurate and entertaining.

Thank you for reading!
Between 1836 (beginning of the game time-frame) and 1878, when Serbia officialy became fully independent nation, the situation was simple: In the internal affairs, there was a complete authonomy, in the foreign affairs there was no authonomy at all. So Serbia could not make a trade agreement on its own with anybody, could not determine customs rates and, consequently, could not start developing industry. Аttempts were made with the monopoly system, but to no avail. All trade agreements which Ottomans would sign would be mandatory for Serbia as well.
Even after gaining full independence in 1878, Serbia did not have complete economic freedom because it immediately fell under Austro-Hungarian influence. The so-called secret convention was signed in 1881, and until the "Pig War" in 1906, Austria-Hungary had the status of the most privileged nation in trade with Serbia. This had its good sides because it provided a market for Serbian agricultural products and brought profit to producers and traders, but it still hampered the development of domestic industry. That is why Serbia welcomed the First World War with only one, more workshop than a military factory, in Kragujevac.
In 1914, the standard Serbian field artillery piece was the Schneider-Creusot filed gun, the famous model 1897 "French 75". (In fact, of Serbia's 617 artillery pieces, only 381 were the rapid-fire weapons needed for modern war) Serbia's small military arsenal at Kragujevac could turn out only 250 to 260 75-mm field artillery shells per day (the French 75 could fire 20 shells per minute), and was able to manufacture only 200 fuses per day. In spite of this fuse manufacturing capacity, Serbia's arsenal was unable to produce sufficient gunpowder for more than 80 to 100 shells per day.

So, if this situation could be accurately presented in the game, it would correspond to historical facts. How playable and fun the game would be for someone who would put himself in the role of Serbia, is another question.

• 1Like
Reactions:
o Serbia could not make a trade agreement on its own with anybody, could not determine customs rates and, consequently, could not start developing industry. Аttempts were made with the monopoly system, but to no avail. All trade agreements which Ottomans would sign would be mandatory for Serbia as well.
Even after gaining full independence in 1878, Serbia did not have complete economic freedom because it immediately fell under Austro-Hungarian influence. The so-called secret convention was signed in 1881, and until the "Pig War" in 1906, Austria-Hungary had the status of the most privileged nation in trade with Serbia. This had its good sides because it provided a market for Serbian agricultural products and brought profit to producers and traders, but it still hampered the development of domestic industry.
This is perfectly valid, however they are for the most part covered using the Market System, with Serbia falling into the Ottoman and later on Austrian market, with aggressive policies being thrown onto it. These policies can be thrown on regardless if the nation is a subject or not, since Serbia was small, landlocked and bordering only 2 states, which both dominated its market, regardless of its defacto-dejure sovereignty status.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This is perfectly valid, however they are for the most part covered using the Market System, with Serbia falling into the Ottoman and later on Austrian market, with aggressive policies being thrown onto it. These policies can be thrown on regardless if the nation is a subject or not, since Serbia was small, landlocked and bordering only 2 states, which both dominated its market, regardless of its defacto-dejure sovereignty status.
Okay, I'm not familiar with all aspects of how the game works yet; with none, to be fair, I just wanted to give some historical data in hopes of being faithfully portrayed in the game. If developers are reading this, and I think they are reading, I would recommend a paper published in The Journal of Military History in July 1997, authored by James M B Lyon and entitled:
"A Peasant Mob": The Serbian Army on the Eve of the Great War.
Although this paper deals with a narrower period of time, good conclusions can be drawn from it about the state of Serbian industry, politics, military and economy in at least one part of the time period that includes the game. It is also good that the work has only 22 pages, in fact, that is why I recommend it, because it is not extensive and it is not biased (at least I think so). Of course, there are more detailed works that cover most of the period we are interested in, but where would it take us if for each country represented in the game, developers had to read several hundred pages? In any case, if there is interest, I can provide some information about nineteenth-century Serbia, although I think the initial situation, as presented in Vicky 2, is quite realistic.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I'd disagree with you on Macedonia there, The idea of a separate Macedonian identity from Bulgaria did not emerge until Tito came to power in Yugoslavia, which is well after the the 1936 end date.

Actually, Victoria 3's timeframe is exactly an era of debate on the Macedonian question. While you are correct that they were traditionally mostly considered Bulgarians, a term "Macedonian Slavs" was coined and popularized, in particular by Jovan Cvijic for instance. So it can't be really stated the story begins afterwards.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Actually, Victoria 3's timeframe is exactly an era of debate on the Macedonian question. While you are correct that they were traditionally mostly considered Bulgarians, a term "Macedonian Slavs" was coined and popularized, in particular by Jovan Cvijic for instance. So it can't be really stated the story begins afterwards.
While it's true he coined the term "Macedonian Slavs", he was also insistent on showcasing the people living in Macedonia as "southern Serbians", from presenting their language as a Serbo-Croatian dialect, to actively showing Serbo-Croatian presence to delve deep south into Macedonia. Cvijić's maps were also crucial for determining the future borders in the Balkans as the peace conferences of WW1 were underway, thereby confirming Macedonia as Serbian/SHS territory.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In regards to the Macedonian question, I would argue that it should not exist at the start, but in the 1870s we should see a gradual introduction of macedonian pops, corresponding with the rise of Bulgarian nationalism. For example, here is a letter from 1874 talking about the people in the region embracing a separate identity from Bulgarian through a unique language and church structure.

In my humble opinion, as I said above, "Macedonian" should be treated in a way as South-North German are - they are a part of bigger nation (Bulgarian) but also have a distinct identity that could evolve into their own.

For example, you can interpret that because North Macedonia failed integration in Bulgarian state in XIX-XX centuries historically they are making their own identity based not on pan-Bulgarian identity but a regional variation of it - like, say, Austria and other states would tend to make South German as a primary culture.

Honestly the biggest issue is how exactly Victoria 3 will aim to represent the sub-cultural divisions and draw lines; I currently only use precedent of Victoria II which isn't really a right thing to do. But if possible, the division of Bulgarian into 2 parts - east and west - would allow to model it well without robbing both nations of their claims - Macedonian being distinct nation and Bulgaria being pan-Bulgarian (that encompasses Macedonians in their view, as well as people who belong to West Bulgarian "Macedonian" dialects) and pretenses of Bulgaria to annex Macedonia.

Also: Macedonians existed as a thing before 1870s and so on. The thing is that the orientation on being Macedonian rather than Bulgarian started to matter only later - and in similar way as South Germans of Switzerland and Austria started to identify more as local identities rather than just Germans (which isn't equal due to Vienna seeing itself as a heart of German Empire for centuries that made Austria far more cosmopolitan... but that's another thing).

And to reply to @TonyJones - despite me seeing Macedonians as a nation, they were definitely a part of larger pan-Bulgarian nationalism. In that era, the pan-Bulgarian nationalism was the thing people rallied behind and Macedonian nationalism in itself was born along such attitudes and cooperated with them in overthrowing Ottomans. I would personally say that if Macedonia was established first as a state (before Bulgaria), with Macedonians at helm, they would still attempt recreate Bulgaria by pursuing annexation of the Eastern Bulgaria; the only thing that would likely change is the legend of the state, different stress in history with adoration of Alexander the Great, different literature standard for Bulgarian (with it being taken from Macedonian accents probably) and different justification for the local Orthodox Church and it's origins (them being directed way more to Orchid Church). In extreme case, Macedonia could rewrite history and call all Bulgarians as Macedonians... while the Eastern Bulgarians could insist on the nomad origin and overexaggerate, a reverse of modern situation. Yes, I know how many wouldn't like such alt-history :)

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
In my humble opinion, as I said above, "Macedonian" should be treated in a way as South-North German are - they are a part of bigger nation (Bulgarian) but also have a distinct identity that could evolve into their own.

For example, you can interpret that because North Macedonia failed integration in Bulgarian state in XIX-XX centuries historically they are making their own identity based not on pan-Bulgarian identity but a regional variation of it - like, say, Austria and other states would tend to make South German as a primary culture.

Honestly the biggest issue is how exactly Victoria 3 will aim to represent the sub-cultural divisions and draw lines; I currently only use precedent of Victoria II which isn't really a right thing to do. But if possible, the division of Bulgarian into 2 parts - east and west - would allow to model it well without robbing both nations of their claims - Macedonian being distinct nation and Bulgaria being pan-Bulgarian (that encompasses Macedonians in their view, as well as people who belong to West Bulgarian "Macedonian" dialects) and pretenses of Bulgaria to annex Macedonia.

Also: Macedonians existed as a thing before 1870s and so on. The thing is that the orientation on being Macedonian rather than Bulgarian started to matter only later - and in similar way as South Germans of Switzerland and Austria started to identify more as local identities rather than just Germans (which isn't equal due to Vienna seeing itself as a heart of German Empire for centuries that made Austria far more cosmopolitan... but that's another thing).

And to reply to @TonyJones - despite me seeing Macedonians as a nation, they were definitely a part of larger pan-Bulgarian nationalism. In that era, the pan-Bulgarian nationalism was the thing people rallied behind and Macedonian nationalism in itself was born along such attitudes and cooperated with them in overthrowing Ottomans. I would personally say that if Macedonia was established first as a state, with Macedonians at helm, they would still attempt recreate Bulgaria by pursuing annexation of the Eastern Bulgaria; the only thing that would likely change is the legend of the state, different stress in history with adoration of Alexander the Great, different literature standard for Bulgarian (with it being taken from Macedonian accents probably) and different justification for the local Orthodox Church and it's origins (them being directed way more to Orchid Church). In extreme case, Macedonia could rewrite history and call all Bulgarians as Macedonians... while the Eastern Bulgarians could insist on the nomad origin and overexaggerate, a reverse of modern situation. Yes, I know how many wouldn't like such alt-history :)
I do agree with some of this, but not all.

Like I think they should be 2 seperate cultures, though some Macedonians are Pan-Bulgarians, and others not. Like I don't think all Macedonians saw themselves wishing to unify with Bulgaria. Some did, some did for political reasons only etc, but an independent Macedonia without Bulgaria is not unrealistic from the start date. Even with the Germans, back then they all weren't Pan-German, I've read some stuff of them seeing themselves as all seperate and their own things, while others supported a Pan-Germany as they thought similar languages, cultures etc justified it. And with the German cultures, in Vic 3 they might split it beyond North and South anyway, maybe more similar to EU4's culture map, we don't know though obviously.

I mean it is possible that a Pan-Bulgaria could've came out of Macedonia somehow, but I don't think that was the main goal of much of the population, though I do agree both scenarios of an independent Macedonia and a Pan-Bulgaria should be possibilities. Also Pan-Serbia, Pan-Greece, and even Pan-Romania should really be possible with Macedonia too, seeing there were people supporting those movements throughout Macedonia too.

Reactions:
While it's true he coined the term "Macedonian Slavs", he was also insistent on showcasing the people living in Macedonia as "southern Serbians", from presenting their language as a Serbo-Croatian dialect, to actively showing Serbo-Croatian presence to delve deep south into Macedonia. Cvijić's maps were also crucial for determining the future borders in the Balkans as the peace conferences of WW1 were underway, thereby confirming Macedonia as Serbian/SHS territory.

What are you referring to, in specific? Serbian philologists didn't bring to question that the Macedonian dialects belonged to the eastern branch of the South Slavic language and Cvijic himself wasn't a linguist, btw.

Reactions:
What are you referring to, in specific? Serbian philologists didn't bring to question that the Macedonian dialects belonged to the eastern branch of the South Slavic language and Cvijic himself wasn't a linguist, btw.
Here is an excerpt from George White's book which covers the subject. I am aware that Cvijić wasn't a linguist, worry not :)

Reactions:
Not necessarily. A 3-way division could also work based on the three historical principalities (a.i. Moldavian for the Principality of Moldavia, Habsburgic Bukovina and the Romanian-inhabited parts of the Tsarist Empire; Transylvania for the Romanian-inhabited parts of Transleithania; Wallachian for the Principality of Wallachia).

As for other areas,

- Timok Romanians should be split between Wallachian POPs (speakers of Lower Wallachian subdialects, green in the picture below) and Transylvanian ones (speakers of Banat subdialects, yellow in the picture below):
etnicka-karta-skracenice.jpg

- The Romanians in Dobrudja should be Wallachian in the pre-1878 period (although this is a convenient simplification since there were also Moldavians who came there from Budjak as well), with the upsurge in Romanian population in the post-1878 period being left to the game's migration mechanics given that the development of the modern Romanian Dobrudjan community was the result of settler colonialism (of both Wallachians & Moldavians, plus that of Balkan Vlachs who were encouraged by the Romanian state to come and settle in Dobrudja).

It could and I did think about a broad Transylvanian culture, but then I remembered EU IV and how everyone bashes on it so I ruled that out. I'm personally not opposed to a 3 way split but I due fear how large Transylvanian would be as a broad encompassing culture compared to the smaller more region based Wallachian and Moldavian.

Ultimately though, I do not think that this division is necessary. From the perspective of historical what ifs scenarios, Romanian could have very well developed into a pluricentric language akin to Serbo-Croatian (e.g. had the conservative boyars and clergymen managed to either stop the election of Cuza or to disband the United Principalities following Cuza's abdication, Moldavian nation building and language standardization on the basis of the preexisting churchly language would've been a likely outcome; likewise in the case of Transylvania with those elements of the Romanian elite, of Catholic faith and of Western outlook, who were in favor of political reform within the Habsburg Empire rather than desiring to pursue some pan-Romanian political project alongside their 'less civilized' brethren), but to add too many cultures to the game would be counterproductive.

Nor do I think the division is necessary, I'm not opposed but we don't know the culture system and with Romanian nationalism about to burst out for real I see it best for now to restrain to one culture. I won't deny that it would be more pleasing starting as Wallachia and forming Romania and seeing my population go from Wallachians to Romanians but until we see the culture system I'm holding onto one united culture.

Hopefully the Balkans get better treatment than they did in Vic2, which was a complete missed opportunity. In Vic2, the Balkans never did anything at all throughout the game, there wasn't really an event chain for the Congress of Berlin or many options for Russia to intervene in the Balkans. Most games I played would see the game ending with Ottomans/Turks controlling most of the Balkans, save for Romania grabbing Dobruja and maybe Greece getting all its cores due to crisis. Sometimes Serbia gets some land from them but if the Ottomans keep their cores they always get it back. Rarely I see Habsburgs in Bosnia.

The decay of the OE in the Balkans and the various rebel factions and leaders are some of the most interesting stories of the 1814-1914 period to me, so I would love to see them done justice in this game. I understand certain things are touchy politically to this day culture-wise, but at least give us the general mechanic for Bulgarian, Albanian, Bosniak, or other ethnic groups to revolt and gain independence. Congress of Berlin is needed as well because that's a major part of the history of European alliances and a factor that leads to the Great War, and covering this period without it is doing a disservice, IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think dividing the romanians to 3 maybe (moldovians, wallachians and transilvanian) would diminish their power from the vicky2 point. Yes a unified romania could have all as accepted culture but if another country (ottoman empire, austria or russia) controls all of their land then seperatist movements would not be strong instead of a unified romanian uprising there would be 3 separete groups and it would be easy to deal with.

Thank you for a nice and civil thread so far! Let’s keep it this way, I’m keeping an eye on this one.
Powderkeg of Victoria 3 thread.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think dividing the romanians to 3 maybe (moldovians, wallachians and transilvanian) would diminish their power from the vicky2 point. Yes a unified romania could have all as accepted culture but if another country (ottoman empire, austria or russia) controls all of their land then seperatist movements would not be strong instead of a unified romanian uprising there would be 3 separete groups and it would be easy to deal with.

Powderkeg of Victoria 3 thread.
I mean maybe if they're all conquered by the same guy that's another reason for them to unify culturally. Like I mean Czechoslovaks came about as a unified concept under Austria-Hungary, so they revolted as one force. But I doubt the game will have Czechoslovaks as a starting culture, instead probably Czech, Slovak, and Moravian (Silesian too maybe).

Reactions:
I mean maybe if they're all conquered by the same guy that's another reason for them to unify culturally. Like I mean Czechoslovaks came about as a unified concept under Austria-Hungary, so they revolted as one force. But I doubt the game will have Czechoslovaks as a starting culture, instead probably Czech, Slovak, and Moravian (Silesian too maybe).

Difference is they all identified as Romanians and wanted to be together, through different ways. The Transylvanian population was more tolerant to the idea of staying in Austria but they wanted more autonomy and to be united with Wallachia and Moldavia. While Moldavia and Wallachia wanted to unite with Transylvania and be an independent state.

Reactions:

The difference is that Czechoslovaks were a construct of XX century and the new Czechoslovak state idea. Czechia and Slovakia had own nationalisms, separate issues (like anti-Magyar problems for Slovaks and anti-German for Czechs).

You can compare them to Italy and Italian identity and standard language that formed atop of many Italian languages, local identies and so on - and 150 years later it still didn't really absorb them.

Romanians and Poles became firmly established national identities for example despite being divided by other nations. IIRC Bulgarians too, but my suggestion to feature them as 2 cultures (including Slavs in Greece as Macedonians) is simply to feature a possible route to Macedonian identity and a necessary roadbump for Bulgaria to form the Balkan powerhouse.

If anything, the only closest big Eastern/Southern European nation pretending to have split in two compared to Vicky 2 are Ukrainians - to have a split in Western Ukrainians and Main Ukrainian group, as the pan-Ukrainian unity between national leaders and decision to pursue the Ukrainian identity rather than local one in Galicia was a development of XIX century and major milestone. And even then, it is hardly noticeable to most outside Ukraine as for most both are Ukrainians nor I am not sure if it would matter to Victoria 3 gameplay that much.

The difference is that Czechoslovaks were a construct of XX century and the new Czechoslovak state idea. Czechia and Slovakia had own nationalisms, separate issues (like anti-Magyar problems for Slovaks and anti-German for Czechs).

You can compare them to Italy and Italian identity and standard language that formed atop of many Italian languages, local identies and so on - and 150 years later it still didn't really absorb them.

Romanians and Poles became firmly established national identities for example despite being divided by other nations. IIRC Bulgarians too, but my suggestion to feature them as 2 cultures (including Slavs in Greece as Macedonians) is simply to feature a possible route to Macedonian identity and a necessary roadbump for Bulgaria to form the Balkan powerhouse.

If anything, the only closest big Eastern/Southern European nation pretending to have split in two compared to Vicky 2 are Ukrainians - to have a split in Western Ukrainians and Main Ukrainian group, as the pan-Ukrainian unity between national leaders and decision to pursue the Ukrainian identity rather than local one in Galicia was a development of XIX century and major milestone. And even then, it is hardly noticeable to most outside Ukraine as for most both are Ukrainians nor I am not sure if it would matter to Victoria 3 gameplay that much.
Ukrainian was split?

Reactions:
Ukrainian was split?

My point exactly about issues of local and identity divisions not always even known :D

But as you can see, it is exactly because of it that we may not need to make separate cultures/subcultures for all cases. Especially if we may have better ways to represent it gameplay-wise.

My point exactly about issues of local and identity divisions not always even known :D

But as you can see, it is exactly because of it that we may not need to make separate cultures/subcultures for all cases. Especially if we may have better ways to represent it gameplay-wise.
Well I mean I don't think it should be more based on gameplay, rather more on historical accuracy that works with the gameplay. Like as Macedonian was an actual seperate culture from Bulgarian, there is no real reason for it to be represented otherwise in game. Also I have read stuff about how the "Romanian" identity was not fully formed before unification and that Wallachians, Moldovans, Transylvanians, and Dobrujans all existed as seperate things, at least by some of the population, though I have not done much research into it myself. So I think personally if a culture did exist as its own thing, there's no reason to put them together. There can be some feature to make them unify in certain circumstances though.

Reactions: