Powderkeg of Europe - Balkans thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the case he was referring to the Bulgarian influence through the Church, he even mentions the Greek influence, the "disease". Is he referring to his own ethnicity as a disease?

Show me the quote. I mean if this is the case it quite contradicts the one from before where he explicitly calls himself not Bulgarian, but yeah send it I'd like to see.

Yeah but he they don't say "Shops and Bulgarians", they'd say "Shops and other Bulgarians" if Shops are Bulgarians. It doesn't say here "Macedonians and other Bulgarians", or "Macedonians and the rest of Bulgarians", it says "Macedonians and Bulgarians", and even, (paraphrase) 'Greeks, Turks etc, Bulgarians, and Macedonians', listing them among the other peoples as their own people.
Regarding the disease, we already went through that. It is tiring with you. The disease is the bickering within the organisation which he mentions before that and is a bad national trait. Nowhere does he mention the Exarchate...

And does omitting the word "other" change the meaning. Because I could say "Shops and Bulgarians" which would mean Shops in particular and other Bulgarians as a whole. It is a perfectly fine construct

I don't really care what the government or national histography shows, I'm looking at what the people of the time thought through their own word, and others of the time's word. I mean you're still claiming that when they refer to Macedonian it's regional, even when they're referred to as two seperate things in the same sentence, but I at least see that as them calling them different.
If we follow this logic, then the Turks who lived in modern-day Bulgaria called themselves Rumelians and had the exact same treatment as Macedonians as you claim, and does anyone think that they should be their own culture? No, we all know they were Turks through the use of National histography and Government censuses of the areas that shows that the Rumelians were Turks and the Macedonians were Bulgarian which determines a more accurate picture of the whole story, I still have a lot more examples for how this logic is wrong.

Reactions:
Here you go, translated in your own language, his memories:

The quote starts with: "Истовремено еден руски полковник..."
Mmmm. Interesting. Have to look into it, seeing it contradicts his other words. I mean it could be referring to Bulgarian Excharate, but idk. Did he write this? I found something somewhere else but it says Miletich wrote it.

But you should. Because they are the ones in charge of presenting said history to you. And a lot of what was said is preserved by these same people.

I mean, if you want to look at things objectively by analyzing various sources, that is absolutely the right thing to do. But in that case shouldn't you be researching the Bulgarian claims as well, rather than immediately dismissing them? As you can see, despite my joking nature, I still did my homework in regards to N. Macedonian claims. Your newspapers provide a very interesting insight into the logic behind most of these claims.
I have looked at Bulgarian claims, and I see that many Macedonians called themselves Bulgarians, but I do also believe there were Macedonians who called themselves Macedonians, and there was VMRO that thought for Macedonian independence, and saw themselves as Macedonian.

Regarding the disease, we already went through that. It is tiring with you. The disease is the bickering within the organisation which he mentions before that and is a bad national trait. Nowhere does he mention the Exarchate...

And does omitting the word "other" change the meaning. Because I could say "Shops and Bulgarians" which would mean Shops in particular and other Bulgarians as a whole. It is a perfectly fine construct
He calls Greek a disease as well, so that doesn't make much sense.

I mean it does, it'd be like saying "the people of Shop (Shopia?) are of Turkish, Vlach, and Bulgarian origin as well as the native Shop." If Shop are Bulgarians, how can there be seperate people of Bulgarian origin and separately as well the native Shop? This is how the quote is.

If we follow this logic, then the Turks who lived in modern-day Bulgaria called themselves Rumelians and had the exact same treatment as Macedonians as you claim, and does anyone think that they should be their own culture? No, we all know they were Turks through the use of National histography and Government censuses of the areas that shows that the Rumelians were Turks and the Macedonians were Bulgarian which determines a more accurate picture of the whole story, I still have a lot more examples for how this logic is wrong.
Yeah and Pomaks were also Turks on the census. Guess Pomaks are Turks then.

Mmmm. Interesting. Have to look into it, seeing it contradicts his other words. I mean it could be referring to Bulgarian Excharate, but idk. Did he write this? I found something somewhere else but it says Miletich wrote it.
Miletich wrote it, who, as you know, was born in Shtip. After all Sarafov was killed quite early to produce any autobiography.
Everything in the first person (which is almost all of the book) is taken from the available notes, which is evident from the fact that the situations described are not connected time-wise.

I have looked at Bulgarian claims, and I see that many Macedonians called themselves Bulgarians, but I do also believe there were Macedonians who called themselves Macedonians, and there was VMRO that thought for Macedonian independence, and saw themselves as Macedonian.
Some identified as Macedonian, some identified as Bulgarian. There we go, nothing controversial about that. Let's also keep in mind the transfer of people. Many Macedonian Bulgarians immigrated from the country after all the wars. It is estimated that between 2 - 2,5 million Bulgarians today have descendants from Macedonia. I'm not one of them, but my best friend is. And we live nowhere near the western border.

Is it not possible that, simply, the ones who felt Bulgarian left, and the ones who felt Macedonian stayed, therefore setting the groundwork for what would become modern day North Macedonia?

He calls Greek a disease as well, so that doesn't make much sense.

I mean it does, it'd be like saying "the people of Shop (Shopia?) are of Turkish, Vlach, and Bulgarian origin as well as the native Shop." If Shop are Bulgarians, how can there be seperate people of Bulgarian origin and separately as well the native Shop? This is how the quote is.
Delchev calls himself Bulgarian, and does not mention any other nationality anywhere in his notes. The stuff about religion you are adding are a modern interpretation.

The Shopluk has other Bulgarians settled there since it is where the capital of Sofia is. So it is perfectly normal. If I were to guess, the newspapers refers to some of the people who initially had fled Macedonia years back and settled back 1915-1918.

Yeah and Pomaks were also Turks on the census. Guess Pomaks are Turks then.
They aren’t, they just chose to be Turks on the census as they felt more aligned with the Turks then some Orthodox Bulgarian state, The Pomaks showed as Turks on the census because they felt more connected to the Turks than the Bulgarians just because of the differences between Orthodox Christianity and Sunni Islam.

Reactions:
Miletich wrote it, who, as you know, was born in Shtip. After all Sarafov was killed quite early to produce any autobiography.
Everything in the first person (which is almost all of the book) is taken from the available notes, which is evident from the fact that the situations described are not connected time-wise.
I think Miletich was, but yeah if he did get it from somewhere then he probably did say it. I mean unless he just changed his identity a lot like Miladinov brothers, who called themselves Macedonians, Bulgarians, Pelasgians, Slavs etc at different points in time for different reasons.

Some identified as Macedonian, some identified as Bulgarian. There we go, nothing controversial about that. Let's also keep in mind the transfer of people. Many Macedonian Bulgarians immigrated from the country after all the wars. It is estimated that between 2 - 2,5 million Bulgarians today have descendants from Macedonia. I'm not one of them, but my best friend is. And we live nowhere near the western border.

Is it not possible that, simply, the ones who felt Bulgarian left, and the ones who felt Macedonian stayed, therefore setting the groundwork for what would become modern day North Macedonia?
Yeah many Bulgarians are from Macedonia, though I think a lot of them migrated after the Greek Civil War and stuff, or were annexed in the case of Pirin.

Idk about that, maybe.

Delchev calls himself Bulgarian, and does not mention any other nationality anywhere in his notes. The stuff about religion you are adding are a modern interpretation.

The Shopluk has other Bulgarians settled there since it is where the capital of Sofia is. So it is perfectly normal. If I were to guess, the newspapers refers to some of the people who initially had fled Macedonia years back and settled back 1915-1918.
In the quote we're talking about he mentions Greeks, or more correctly the Greek influence on Macedonians.

I mean this still doesn't make much sense, I'd still think he'd say "other Bulgarians", or "Bulgarian Macedonians" or something, as your average New York reader probably doesn't read "Macedonian" and automatically think Bulgarian. I mean don't you say Macedonia is Greek as well?

It is just my opinion but this topic is about all of balkans and only thing that is being talked is you guys arguing maybe drop the subject so other people can argue other things, open another thread and talk about this issue or just exchange discord then come to us with a joint declaration.
On that note how possible for Ottoman empire to have balkan nations as “accepted culture” in vic2 terms or was nationalism too deeply ingrained in the region. And whether Ottomans should have cores on Serbia and Greece as they were recently split from the empire.

Reactions:
They aren’t, they just chose to be Turks on the census as they felt more aligned with the Turks then some Orthodox Bulgarian state, The Pomaks showed as Turks on the census because they felt more connected to the Turks than the Bulgarians just because of the differences between Orthodox Christianity and Sunni Islam.
The census was based off religion. Albanian Muslims were recorded as Turks too. Muslims = Turks on Ottoman census.

It is just my opinion but this topic is about all of balkans and only thing that is being talked is you guys arguing maybe drop the subject so other people can argue other things, open another thread and talk about this issue or just exchange discord then come to us with a joint declaration.
On that note how possible for Ottoman empire to have balkan nations as “accepted culture” in vic2 terms or was nationalism too deeply ingrained in the region. And whether Ottomans should have cores on Serbia and Greece as they were recently split from the empire.
I don't remember any dev confirming that yet, but I am pretty sure ottomans will have some type of core or diplomatic relation or something similar on Serbia and Greece and Egypt and probably more.

IMO, its not about cultures but religion, nationalism is/was just a side effect.

A secular democratic Ottoman Empire... everything is possible in Pdox games.

I love how as soon as Bulgarians and North Macedonians start having a civil conversation people lose interest.

Err... anyways...

Yeah many Bulgarians are from Macedonia, though I think a lot of them migrated after the Greek Civil War and stuff, or were annexed in the case of Pirin.

Idk about that, maybe.
Greek civil war played a next-to-nothing role, as (Slavic) Macedonian refugees from that period were being redirected towards Yugoslavia. This was part of the whole Bulgar-Yugoslav Eternal Friendship Thing (which lasted around 3 years). A lot of Greek communists were allowed to stay though, interestingly enough.

The biggest refugee waves came after 1903, 1913 and 1918. The post-WW1 refugee wave was the biggest, as it caused an economic crisis. The impact the refugees had caused the population of Bulgaria to increase by roughly 500 000 from 1914 to 1920. That is not natural growth for post-Great War/lost territory countries.

I love how as soon as Bulgarians and North Macedonians start having a civil conversation people lose interest.

Err... anyways...

Greek civil war played a next-to-nothing role, as (Slavic) Macedonian refugees from that period were being redirected towards Yugoslavia. This was part of the whole Bulgar-Yugoslav Eternal Friendship Thing (which lasted around 3 years). A lot of Greek communists were allowed to stay though, interestingly enough.

The biggest refugee waves came after 1903, 1913 and 1918. The post-WW1 refugee wave was the biggest, as it caused an economic crisis. The impact the refugees had caused the population of Bulgaria to increase by roughly 500 000 from 1914 to 1920. That is not natural growth for post-Great War/lost territory countries.
Yeah I know there was ones before the civil war, I don't know if it's correct but I once heard the guy who designed the Bulgarian coat of arms back then was Macedonian, like as in from Macedonia. But some did still come during the civil war, but yeah many went to Yugoslavia, but many did go to Bulgaria, mostly Pirin I think. Like I think one of Bulgaria's old Prime Ministers or Presidents or something was a a child of refugees from the Greek Civil War. Yeah President Rosen Plevneliev.

As a french, I did not learn much from the history of the balkans (I'll skip the part where I go over how bad our teaching of history is), what i know comes from what I learned from the history books that I had, researches I've done and videos I've watched (with some video games more or less accurate).
This thread actually made me realise how much history in the region is complicated and seems very complex from the point of view of someone out of it.

I've read, nearly all messages of the debates, and as I consider my point of view as neutral considering the non-knowledge I have over the subject, I can resume it as North Macedonians trying to prove their point that, while under ottoman occupation, they used bulgaria as a basis to creat nationalists movements that, then, were morphed to fit a more Macedonian-Nationalist ideal, using quotes from the creators of those movement to prove that they were Macedonians and that their goal was to create an idependent Macedonian state.

From what I have read however, the Bulgarians here, are arguying, with written proofs, that those quotes are missinterpreted and taken out of context, if not simply put together to fit the wish of creating an idea. what they want to prove is that, at the time, Macedonians identified more as Bulgarian than ethnic Macedonian, whether it being by their language or other means. They do not contradict Macedonian sovreignty or reason of being as it may be understood by reading the Macedonian arguments, they want to show that, at the time, Macedonians were close to Bulgarians ethnicaly and culturally speaking, meaning that they were close enough for Bulgarians to accept the idea of them being Bulgarian too even with the differences they had.

If I had to remember one thing from all of this is that Macedonians, or as they are called today, North Macedonians, wants to assert a cultural claim, an historical footprint and a clear distinction from Bulgarian culture and history. While if i look at the Bulgarian point, I'd remeber that they tried to show their common history and that, if Macedonians are different from Bulgarians, they have a close, common history and that it is possible at some point that some Macedonians felt close enouh form Bulgarians to seek unification.

As this is all very interesting, I'd be happy to have anyone correct me if I said anything wrong or to add any details to what I said and clarify some points.
Debates is good, just try to be civile about it and show your argument calmly while listening to the other's.

Reactions: