• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rügen, because of their ideas (pommeranian ones) and bc they get an event for it, there is I believe also one for Cornwall, I also did once a Hormuz run for the achievment where i lost all my provinces intentionally to become a trade/pirate republic hybrid that goes around plundering the entire indian ocan basically.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sicily - great defensive terrain, many provinces to raid and trade nodes to privateer. AI is so bad at the naval game you don't need to be afraid of the Ottomans. Take Rhodes so you wouldn't be competing with the Knights

Cornwall is a fun one, because it's triggered by an event rather than needing to go through the "raise the black flag" decision.

Here's a cheese strat I like to do for Cornwall.
  • Start as England.
  • Unstate all your lands and raise autonomy to 100%.
  • Return all your continental cores (after concentrating development) and release Wales and Northumbria.
  • Feed all your British lands except your capital state (and a thin strip along the south coast) to Wales and Northumbria.
  • Toggle scutage on and off a few times to raise liberty desire in your subjects.
  • Delete your navy, and break your alliance with Portugal.
  • Release and play as Cornwall.
  • Once the truce is up, get England's rivals to support independence.
  • Set England's remaining land as a province of interest.
  • Go to war with England, and annex them in the peace deal.
This will leave you with Northumbria and Wales as subjects. They will be artificially weak because of high autonomy, so you should be able to integrate one or both of them pretty easily. Now you can create 3 light ships, send them to privateer the English channel and wait for the event that turns you into a pirate republic.

Now you are essentially pirate England. You can even become pirate England by switching to English culture, although I think it's more fun to stay as Cornwall. All in all, it should only take 20-30 years and doesn't require nearly as much work as pirate Scotland.

There's also So, over in Japan, which gets an event to become a pirate republic early on. It can be tricky to get off the ground but once you do it's pretty hilarious and Japan is ideal pirate territory because of access to all the wealthy Chinese and Korean coastal provinces.

A few other honourable mentions:
  • Mahra - Actually has very strong naval ideas and might be a good candidate for a "pirate king" playthrough. It starts with Socotra so you can give away your mainland territory to meet the requirements, but actually getting enough trade power through privateering will be quite hard.
  • Madyas - Probably the best naval leader boosting ideas in the game, so your pirate kings will tend to be chads.
  • Lanfang - Extremely strong republican idea set and unique position as a Confucian Chinese nation in Borneo. Can be formed immediately by making a custom nation in Waichow and then playing Sambas. To become a pirate republic you'd need to sell or lose Meliau, which is easy as it's going to be wrong culture and religion. However, Lanfang's default government is so great that going pirate almost feels like a shame.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Betsimaraka in Madagascar has pirate-focused ideas that also happen to be some of the worst in the game, which is fun in its own way.

Last did them before Kilwa got missions, but I suspect you're all good as long as you snipe the rest of the island before they come take a province.

Plus you get several religion options and East Africa's juicy gold mines.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Betsimaraka in Madagascar has pirate-focused ideas that also happen to be some of the worst in the game, which is fun in its own way.

Last did them before Kilwa got missions, but I suspect you're all good as long as you snipe the rest of the island before they come take a province.

Plus you get several religion options and East Africa's juicy gold mines.
But you cant become a pirate can you as a tribal nation? Or am i remembering it wrong?

Doesn't the raiding modifier cost 400 points?
Pirate Republic changes your government to republic anyway so there is no point in starting as tribe/horde, just start as normal norse republic or kingdom and use the decision.

Riding in traditions allows you to raid without pirate republic like the Knights, Tunis etc.

Pirate Republic changes your government to republic anyway so there is no point in starting as tribe/horde, just start as normal norse republic or kingdom and use the decision.

Riding in traditions allows you to raid without pirate republic like the Knights, Tunis etc.
It would be cool if there was pirate kingdoms. That would be fun. And to go with that, Pirate Theocracies and Pirate Hordes.

It would be cool if there was pirate kingdoms.

Pirate Kingdoms exist, they are a subtype of pirate republic if you select the "pirate king" reform. It means you no longer have elections and your best admiral becomes country leader instead. It can be quite strong as good admirals have a high chance of producing good leaders, but it is a little RNG and, I think, probably not as good as a normal pirate republic with plutocratic/economic/diplomatic ideas and the republican tradition saving policies. You can get higher absolutism via the "consolidation of power"/"strengthen executive powers" reforms with no penalties though, although pirate republic absolutism is still pretty terrible.

Somalia, the formable nation, also has a tradition which gives it the ability to raid anyone (even same religion provinces) like a pirate republic, meaning you can essentially be a pirate monarchy, theocracy or horde as Somalia depending on which nation you form it with. Unfortunately the rest of its ideas are a bit meh.

• 1Like
Reactions: