• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

supermash

Private
35 Badges
May 2, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
Ave Imperator.

Katten is asking now your suggestions!

I will ask you to post all your suggestions Here.

Some rules and reminder:

- there is no dev team yet.

- Katten is doing that from his own willing. So no aggressiveness or things like "why did you abandons us ?"

- please post realistic suggestions (nothing like, please rework everything). Be precise and if possible with technical term for better simplicity to read for him and any dev.

- for mission and flavors content better ask modding team for that (not Katten or other former PDX dev). Concentrate on mechanics and things you think is missing for your perfect playthrough.

- no troll suggestions please or spam. One post allowed per people.

Now you can help Katten now and thinks like Alexander would before a battle. The future of our diaochi game is in our hand!

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
I don't have enough hours in the game to go into specifics, so I'll make some high-level points instead.

The character system in Imperator is strange. It's feels like the Stellaris character system (as of 2020, last I played that, at least) mascquerading as the CK character system. When I first saw it, I wanted to shepherd Lucius Julius Libo and his descendants though their successive runs through the cursus honorum. But there's no cursus honorum! There's not much more depth to republican and tribal offices (have not played monarchy) than in Victoria 3, where you can pick between three random general candidates, and have to balance their characteristics with their IGs.
A simplish fix would be to have statemanship increase way faster, but be capped in "lower" offices. The effective skill can then be scaled based on how close statemanship is to the cap. Lower offices can also be made collegial, with the college's average effective skill providing the bonus. Characters close to their office's cap can then demand promotion, lose loyalty over it, etc.
Another neat feature would be to add the ability to designate a favorite character (or two, or five). This would then be the "player character" for some events, like naming children. Right now, it is somewhat strange getting to name some random consul's child, every once in a while, and even stranger seeing a "ruler unmarried" popup when some old clan chief inherits my tribe.
In fact, I would say the biggest thing the game needs is a better way to gamify the character system. It's there, it's detailed, it's clearly a focus in a game named "Imperator", it's in the back of everyone's mind ever since R:TW and its hilarious Scipii. I get that playing a family in a republic wouldn't be fun in the game as it is now, as you'd just sit there waiting to get a governorship, but some more focus on characters in republics is necessary.

Another tension in the game is in between map painting and nation-building. I want playing tall and developing say, Crete, into a respectable power to be a viable playstyle. In a similar vein, I want internal stability of empires to be threatened not just by some "overextension" number, but underlying mechanics. The latter Imperator sort of manages to do with its culture mechanics. I feel a little more emphasis needs to be put on demographics. Maybe each province can have some amount of arable land, that influences pop growth/migration/promotion, to simulate the struggles over land that so defined Roman politics at the time.

• 4Like
Reactions:
It would be great to see a few updates for the military units. Culturally specific units for instance. Like Roman Legionaries, Macedonian Sarissa pikeman, Parthian Cataphracts and Horse archers, Belaric slingers, Cretan archers. ECT.

It would also be nice to give ranged units the ability to attack from the 2nd line. And to possibly add in some specific siege units in addition to the Engineers. Catapults, ballista, battering rams.

Some of these things would have to be done entirely by a dev team while things like the Cultural units could be done through modding if some of the roadblocks in the games coding were removed by a dev team.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Hey everyone. I have 2k hours in this game. Ive tried every other paradox title, but nothing beats imperator. Here is my list. I know its a long shot, but even if a quarter of this is added it will make a world of difference:

Base game tweaks:

i) National leaders being able to control legions.

ii) More historically accurate numbers for elephant units: hellenistic armies sported up to 400 elephants, not 4000.

iii) A better espionage system: killing the leader of an enemy nation should more reliably plunge that nation into a power struggle/civil war.

iv) Bigger letter count when naming your wonders. I often run out of characters when assigning names, and have to settle for something shorter than I intended.

v) An army ui button that allows you to sack/raze captured settlements. Some events to go with this would be nice...:)

vi) Please bring back the legion ui option that allows you to station your legions in a given province/tile thereby allowing you to improve the provincial loyalty in that province. It would also place those legions under the command of the local governor.

vii) The AI stacking its retinues better during war. Its a bit immersion breaking fighting a big nation like the Seleukids in 302BC across a WW2 style front with 2k stacks everywhere. It would be better if the AI and its allies gather their levys into one big army and march for the war goal/against your army same as in CK3.

viii) More impactful battles (battles should contribute much more to war score) and characters should die more often if they lose a battle. You should be able to kill/capture a nation leader and end the war (if you are fighting a monarchy) same as in CK3.

ix) Immersive localisation for cognomens: i.e instead of 'Antigonos the Wise' rather "Antígonos o sofós" with a tooltip that translates/explains the name.

x) A dedicated window for city/territory modifiers. Often, my capital has so many modifiers like 'seat of regional magantes' or 'Trumphal Arch' that they stack over one another in a bit a clunky mess thats difficult to read. A dedicated window, or at least a slider that allows you to view all active territory modifiers clearly would be nice.

xi) Better civil war mechanics: AI should stack its retinues as per my earlier point and march for specific war goals. Currently civil wars can be a nightmare to fight, you shouldn't have to conquer every single tile owned by the enemy to win. A high enough war score from battles and character traits should determine how well the enemy fights and how long they perserver. Victory in civil wars should not be mandatory either. You should be able to concede and continue play as the victorious rebels if you lose, but with consequences. This could mean you lose all / some vassals, take hits to stability, etc.

xii) Ability to rename your country as in CK3

xiii) Ability to rename cities and provinces as in CK3

xiv) Slots for multiple wonders in any one city. This may entail taking the scale of wonders down to - 0.60000 , Ive experimented with this, and with a better zoom function you loose non of the detail. Id love Rome to have 5 great temples and a tower, instead of just the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus!

xv) Better textures and more models for wonders. The ones we make never look as nice as Alexander's tomb or the Mausoleum at Halikarnassos. Statues, palaces, and libraries would also be great additions to the types of wonders we could build.

My dream additions:

Ceremonies:

i) Options to have meager, normal, or extravagant triumphs, depending on how much you are willing to spend on the event. (think of caeser's 3 triumphs), and have events were the character falls off the chariot, or the elephants in the procession run riot and stampede into the crowd etc. Capturing foreign rulers for your triumph could be lots of fun! Choosing each option should have both negative and positive results.

ii) Options to have meager, normal, or extravagant weddings, depending on how much you are willing to spend on the event. (think of alexander's susa weddings, or the games/ procession of the gods that accompanied Philip's Wedding at Vergina). Choosing each option should have both negative and positive results.

iii) Options to have meager, normal, or extravagant funerals, depending on how much you are willing to spend on the event. (think of caeser's funeral where the whole city turned up and burnt the senate house/or the internment ceremonies where a new Macedonian king accompanied the body of his predecessor to its resting place as a rite of passage. If a character dies with high popularity or statesmanship, the people may demand an extravagant funeral in the region capital even if you do no t have the funds and Political incluence. Failure could result in distarous riots, success in powerful omens, automatic deification, or migration attraction etc. Funerals become an event that determine whether your country falls into instability after a great monarch dies or smoothly enters a new era.

iv) Harsupcies and sacrifices to determine the will of the gods when you found a new city or declare a war; with negative or positive modifiers depending on your ruler's relationship with the religious officials of your country, their level of statesmanship, traits, and their level of zeal.

v) An option to call a meeting of the senate same as you can hold court in CK3, with resulting events where laws are passed or parties vie for power.

Characters:

- More immersive character histories, i.e a potrait ledger or potrait icons that tell you how many battles a character has won or lost, how many times they held office and which office, their kill counts (how many people they are known to have assissanated/murdered/killed in battle). 'On action' functions that allow your characters to more reliably gain traits and stats while serving in the military, i.e if someone wins 10 battles in a row, they gain the conqueror trait.

- Capes, crowns, diadems and more extravagant clothing/armour so your rulers and important families actually feel important.

- Ability to form alliances between characters/friends within a nation to allow you or the AI to pull power bases between all parties in the alliance. This could result in certain characters winning elections more often or allowing exclusive access to holdings and offices for members of the alliance. It could also allow them to hold office for extended periods of time, or have a non-revorkable governership.

- A better espionage system: killing the leader of an enemy nation should more reliably plunge that nation into a power struggle/civil war.

- Royal marriages should result in alliances between nations, marriages between families should result in the members of that family having better loyalty to one another if either ends up in office, etc.

- Events where your vassals are more prominent: they travel to your capital or request delegations to help resolve succession crisis, ask you to attend funerals for their rulers or commision a temple/theater in their capital etc.

Mechanics:

- Treasuries: A building that stores the majority/maybe all of the accumulated wealth in a country; typically in the capital but is optional. If you capture a settlement with a trasury, you get a corresponding amount of that country's actual in-game, accumulated wealth. Major Powers and Great Powers could have multiple treasuries as a safe gaurd against losing their wealth.

- Minting coins with the face of your ruler: could give points to legitimacy and population happiness, but cost personal wealth and P.I

- Proscriptions: A last resort to avert civil war and make a little money by the side. Should have a certain level of Tyrrany (60 and above) to achieve. All other characters become loyal for a time, and your ruler's friends share in the pillaging.

- More savage dynastic struggles for the Hellenistic kingdoms. New rulers should have an imperative to either extinguish or ensure the loyalty of potential claimants soon after taking the crown. Failure to do so should have dire consequences.

So sorry for the long list, but these are all items I have been thinking about for a long while. In closing, thank you for offering to hear us out! I know this does not mean a revival, but there are those of us who feel abandonded by paradox just as things were starting to get good. Whatever you manage to do for this amazing game is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Been playing a bunch since the Ides of March. Coming back to the game reminded me of some pain points:

1. Trade micro. One huge help would be a very simple "toggle all" button for automating trade at a provincial level.
2. Characters, especially in monarchies, get frustrating. I have several suggested changes
2a. There needs to be a larger character limit before fertility penalties start kicking in
2b. Characters in the ruling family need to get themselves married more often. It should really only be the heir and the heir's heir that have the player being responsible for getting characters married.
2c. As empires grow, it becomes very difficult to find enough characters with decent civic skill. It would be nice if it was possible for all government types to set an education policy, maybe at the cost of loyalty, that pushed characters in all families towards one of the four different educations.
3. There are a lot of really annoying things in the Heirs of Alexander missions. Weird things where you cannot bypass certain goofy missions (like having city-state clients at Thrace) and the actual Successor Empire tree kind of stinks because it involves a lot of sitting around waiting for gold or political influence, and the ultimate reward of creating a new culture kind of stinks because none of your pops have that new culture.
4. My main suggestion on making a major change would be something to give internal politics a little more bite. My idea would be to give all characters two loyalty stats: one of them should be loyalty to the state/monarch and the second should be loyalty to party/family. Family heads and party leaders would have their power base influenced by the powerbase of which of their family members were more loyal to the state than the family. This would also influence which side characters would join in civil wars, making that a little bit more clearly aligned. I would also suggest making family head a more dynamic status, with it moving to the most prominent character in the family. All of these ideas come from the observation that I rarely care/need to care about the powerbase of the various great families in my games and I basically never bother with revoking holdings. It's too easy to manage things with inventions and with bribes/friendship/free hands

• 2Like
Reactions:
1. Lead up to a declaration of war
Going to war was a major occurrence in ancient societies, this should be reflected in some event-chain or situation mechanics.
It could be religious ceremonies, such as someone having to examine the entrails of a pig, observing the behaviour of birds or some poor fella that had to be thrown into a bog, and the outcome of these would result in different positive or negative military modifiers that last throughout the war. Or it could be more rational such as great family members seeking fame and fortune and thus demanding a position in the army or navy, or the ruler attempting to hold a rousing speech to garner support for the war efforts.

2. Seasonal small-scale warfare between minor countries
This should represent the seasonal conflicts, between sowing and harvesting, that occurred between city-states and tribes throughout the ancient world. It could be a special CB that allowed no territories to be conquered and automatically enforced white peace within 6 months. The purpose for this type of war is to show those pesky neighbours who’s the boss and gain some military experience as well.

3. Less tribal blobbing
Tribes, at least the germanic, celtic and gallic ones, were historically independent minded and hard to govern for longer periods of times. Still in almost all my games the patchworks of tribes in Iberia, Gaul and Britannia that have existed for probably centuries, before game start, are consolidated into a few regional powers within a few decades. Warfare between tribes in these areas, as far as I know, were more about looting and asserting one’s clan honour, and less about conquering and subduing neighbouring tribes, which should be more reflected in the game (see above proposal). So perhaps the warscore cost for taking territory should be much higher for tribes.

4. Tribal defence against civilised countries
Tribes should be able to form special defensive defensive leagues that only come into effect if one of the members is attacked by a civilised country. Also, if a tribal country is attacked by a civilised country, clan chiefs with similar culture from the neighbouring tribes could opt to raise his’/her’s retinues and come to the defence of the tribal country.

5. A spoils of war system
There should be a common treasure pot where all the loot from occupying territories or sacking cities goes into. When the war is won the spoils will then be divided between, allies, feudatories or other participating subjects, governors commanding levies, legates, clan chiefs and the country (you).

6. Looting tied to armies
When armies loot, the spoils should be present in the looting army, like food is. And as with food, armies should have a carrying-capacity for how much loot they can carry, and carrying loot should reduce marching speed. Should a loot-carrying army lose a battle, a portion of the loot, along with food, would be claimed by the victor. Loot would gradually be siphoned off to the state, less so if in hostile territory and more so if in owned or controlled territory.

7. Expand the national pantheon
There should be more than 4 deities in the national pantheon, maybe also tie the max number of pantheon deities to a country’s rank, so expanding nations can adopt deities from conquered people without having to “sacrifice” deities from its own culture.

8. A rudimentary manufacturing system
It would be nice to have a system where cities can produce some exclusive trade goods. Maybe if certain combinations of goods, or in some cases just one type of goods, are available in the province and they are in surplus, then cities can build an industry building dedicated to these goods. Examples could be fish + salt for Garum, marble for sculptures, clothes + dyes for luxury clothing, wood + iron for furniture, olives for olive oil, precious metals + gemstones for jewellery, leather + base metals for tools.

9. Make aqueducts great again
The current aqueduct building should be replaced with a public bath building. Instead aqueducts should be qasi-wonders that can be built in non-provincial-capital territories and provide pop capacity for the provincial capital, thus turning them into population hubs.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I'd love for Imperator to be character or family focused but I understand that's not the road which has been chosen for this game. I don't have any direct suggestions but perhaps some form of increased moddability would be nice for the dev teams as that would allow them to keep pushing forward.

But I love that something is done for this game. :)

EDITED: Given my semi-active thread it felt stupid to not make any wish or suggestion.

So what I would like to see is at a minimum two, possibly more, "struggle" areas where there's a special mechanic to promote great power fighting and manovering and act against great powers staying clear of each other to devour smaller tags. Presumably its a feature that can be turned on and off in the game rules according to the taste of the player.

The two areas I have in mind would be "The Argead Empire" and "The Western Mediterranean" areas. In the case of "The Argead Empire" it would simulate conflicts between the Hellenistic Diodachi kingdoms and ensure the areas is as action packed as it was in real history with the competition between these great powers leading to them constantly looking for ways to one-up each other and clashing with each other in great show downs time and again.

In the Western Mediterranean it would be something different but effectively drive the great powers there to recreate the Punic Wars in one form or another. I imagine two, or more, empires circling each other like tigers and looking for a mistake or sign of weakness before they pounch.

PS: I should note that most often I find that people say that Rome and Carthage could not co-exist within the confines of the Western Mediterranean. I find myself leaning away from this view. I think that Carthage would be perfectly able to co-exist with a European-based empire in this area but that an empire based on, be it, Iberian, Celtic, Italic, Greek or whatever basis would not be able to co-exist with Carthage. I could be wrong and I may change my stance further on but that's how it looks to me right now.

EDITED II: So in essence a shorter version is probably some mechanic or such that promotes great powers going for each other

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Just a couple of ideas:

1) Add a decentralized provincial development system. Right now it's kind of hard to properly develop provinces during the early-mid game due to the high costs of buildings and the sheer number of territories. I get that it's kind of the point of the game to slowly build up a civilization, but it gets frustrating when it comes to completing mission tasks or decisions.
For example, in order to introduce the cult of Serapis when playing as the Ptolemies, you have to go through several stages of wonder building, city founding and territorial development, which would be fine enough, if the costs of the whole ordeal weren't so prohibitive that you can barely complete them before the death of Ptolemy I, who historically was the one who introduced the cult. This is of course an example of a minor flavour inconvenience that derives from this system, not a big deal.
A possible solution might be a more decentralized development system, where governors spend some of their personal wealth to improve their provinces in order to gain more popularity, power base, and income. The type of buildings built that way would depend on the governor policy. That would ease the burden of the national treasury, while giving other characters in the nation more power.
Or maybe have a system where a province without a governor can be given some special taxes/levy exemption status, in exchange for provincial development. This status could be revoked later at a cost to start reaping the benefits of the new buildings or cities.

2) It would be great if there was a way to prevent the loss of provincial modifiers earned via mission trees when territories change owners, especially during civil wars.
Right now, if you lose a territory through a civil war or an Imperial Challenge/Legacy of Alexander CB, you also lose all of the permanent modifiers gained by events or mission trees. I don't know if it is possible to fix coding-wise, but it would be awesome, since it would advantage both the conqueror if it manages to keep its conquests, and the defender if it manages to retake its land.

3) I love creating flavourful vassal states, but a big letdown is the fact that when you create one through the provinces menu, it gets a random name/flag and, most importantly, heritage.
In the Demand Peace menu you can request a nation to liberate some of its territories, giving them their old name, flag and heritage, so I guess there is a way to assign these values to a nation that does no longer exist based on its position on the map. Implementing a similar system when creating a vassal would make them more interesting and efficient.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Separating Subject Types in Diplomacy Screen OR Adding Modability to that would be awesome:

Also a way of seeing how many Tribal Vassals you have in tooltips.

My current Diplomacy Screen, see how I can't differantiate/count my subject types:
Screenshot 2024-04-05 205612.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Separating Subject Types in Diplomacy Screen OR Adding Modability to that would be awesome:

Also a way of seeing how many Tribal Vassals you have in tooltips.

My current Diplomacy Screen, see how I can't differantiate/count my subject types:View attachment 1111039

Technically, this is breaking the one post per user rule, but I thought that it was important to mention that a large amount of feedback (such as the above) condenses down to:

Make sure that the UI and gameplay scales to large empires in late game.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I believe, de-hardcoding stuff, fixing some important bugs and enhancing modability would already go a long way. E.g.:
  1. Recruitment Conditions for Military Units: Currently, military units can only be recruited through trade goods, limiting the ability to create culture-specific units. Enabling additional recruitment conditions would allow us to create unique unit types based on cultural, regional, or other criteria, providing greater flexibility and diversity in army composition.
  2. Migrations through Events: Introducing the ability for migrations to spawn through events would allow modders to create dynamic population movements based on historical or fictional scenarios. These events could trigger migrations of specific cultures or populations, impacting demographics, political dynamics, and territorial control within the game world.
  3. Modifiable Barbarian Spawn Locations: Allowing modders to specify the spawn locations of barbarian factions would enable greater customization of the game's historical or alternate history scenarios. This would allow Modders to designate specific regions or provinces as potential spawning grounds for barbarian tribes, reflecting historical migration patterns or strategic considerations.
  4. Unit Variable for Walking Through Foreign Territory: Extending the ability to traverse foreign territory beyond migrant cohorts to other unit types would open up possibilities for creating specialized agent units such as spies, traders, or diplomats. These units could navigate through enemy territory to gather intelligence, conduct espionage, or engage in diplomatic activities, adding depth to the game's strategic and diplomatic gameplay.
  5. Modifiable Treaties: Making treaties modifiable would allow modders to create custom diplomatic agreements, alliances, and peace settlements tailored to specific historical contexts or alternate scenarios. This would allow us to define the terms, conditions, and consequences of treaties, offering players a wider range of diplomatic options and outcomes.
  6. Enable Unlimited Diplomacy: Disabling limitations on diplomacy would give modders greater freedom to design diplomatic mechanics and interactions according to their vision. Modders could create more complex diplomatic systems, diplomatic actions, and diplomatic AI behaviors without being constrained by predefined limits or restrictions.
  7. Disable Max Building Slots Limit for Settlements: Removing the limit on maximum building slots for settlements would allow modders to utilize the available opportunities of the building system. This would enable more diverse and specialized rural development, reflecting the historical growth and evolution of the countryside over time.
  8. Non-Linear Tile Development: Introducing non-linear tile development mechanics, similar to CK3 holding types or Civ6 district mechanics, would allow for more diverse and specialized tile specialization. This would allow us to design unique tile improvements, structures, and features that reflect the specific functions and purposes of different types of settlements and territories.
  9. Diverse GUI Modding: Enhancing GUI modding capabilities would enable us to create even more immersive mechanics and custom user interfaces. Sometimes we see impressive ingame GUI elements and are stunned that we cannot reproduce them in mods. (Looking at you culture management interface)
  10. Terrain Type Changes through Events: Allowing tiles to change their terrain type through events would add dynamic environmental changes to the game world. Modders could implemet deforestation and clearing mechanics and create events that trigger natural disasters, geological phenomena, or human activities, altering terrain features and affecting gameplay, resource availability, and strategic considerations.
  11. Hiding armies on the map like ships do in ports: The ability to hide armies on the map, similar to ships docking in ports, would introduce strategic ambushes, defensive encampments, and guerrilla warfare tactics, adding depth to gameplay and enabling historical scenarios like the Battle of Alesia or the Teutoburg Forest ambush.
  12. Expanded Scoping and Sorting Options: Implementing additional scoping and sorting options for game assets, data, and mechanics would provide modders with greater flexibility and control over their modding projects.
  13. Expanded No Code Modding Tools: Providing modders with comprehensive and user-friendly modding tools, including map generators, event editors and generators, and script editors, would empower more people them to create new content. Preferably as an easily accessible web app.
  14. Modding Documentation and Tutorials: Improving documentation and tutorials for modding would help aspiring modders learn how to use modding tools, scripting languages, and game mechanics effectively. Clear and comprehensive guides, tutorials, and examples should be provided to support modders throughout the modding process.
This list is by far exclusive but by implementing such features, Paradox could significantly enhance the modding potential of I:R, empowering us to create richer, more diverse, and more immersive gaming experiences without the budgetary constraints of active game development. Also, as I:R was from the beginning a testing ground radically opening the modability of a game could also serve as an experiment :))

• 4Like
Reactions:
Making Mercenary Armies moddable:

Ability to hire 1 Million Mercenaries as Rome during Roman-Parthia wars is highly unrealistic.

Getting 8 Mercenary Army limit is easy.
To get a mere 100k mercenaries in single province, you need to get 10 Aqueducts to cities, stack state infrastructure and religious complexes and Directed Investments to get population capacity and trade routes and building slots to feed provinces, and Moving Slaves to fill provinces to capacity.

And this is without infinite population exploits such as infinite aqueducts and stacking population capacity modifiers.

Calculations to get Mercenary strength is complicated because for some reason assimilation isn't important.
I have 2 300 pop provinces, both give roughly same 30k mercenaries despite the fact that 1 of them only has 30% assimilated culture pops.
I think demographics (Noble & Citizen etc ) effects them more.

For stacking investments in same provinces, this is expensive in early game, but very cheap in late game, because money ceases to be a problem.

You don't even need to focus on Mercenaries to get those numbers, because I usually focus investments on Capital Region anyway.

So ability to mod how mercenary armies get their numbers from pop numbers would be excellent. After a point, you should get less and less strength from pops.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Supply Wagons
The way things work with levies is that usually one of the mini stacks gets the supply wagons, whilst the rest are left without any, and there's no way to combine them. I suggest allowing all owned units to draw food from any owned supply wagon in the same territory as them, regardless of whether they are in the same stack. This would stop the weird situation where one stack is hoarding all the food and leaving the rest of the army to starve unless you micro them back to owned territory to resupply.

Levy stack grouping
It would be nice if we could group stacks together. Sometimes you find that all the cavalry went into one of the mini stacks, and it's then much faster than the others, so you have to constaly micro to make sure everyone arrives together. If they could be grouped together so that all stacks in the group move at the speed of the slowest, that would make life a lot easier!

I have suggestions for games auto trade script:

My thoughts on Automatic Trade Script:

Automatic Trade script should be able to take in count food production modifiers in a province, and calculate how much food it need to;

1st: Not starve in winter (priority is this)

2nd: Fill the Food Storage (if there's enough trade slots and food trade good production in world) (might need to enable this after a few months in order to make sure every state in world will not starve)

Also Food Trade Goods may need adjusting of their food production, late game there might be lack of them, which could cause starvation.

Script should start at 1st Capital States of Countries, then Capital Region, and Other Regions at last.

Food must calculated and imported or removed first before other trade goods.

Excess Food Trade Goods Routes must be removed. No need to waste Trade Slots.

Script also should not try to import food if target for export state will starve if that food trade good is exported to you (Maybe storing state variables which includes how many food trade goods are reserved for state in order to not starve)

It might be best to create multiple versions of trade scripts that become activated with related decisions and global variables.

For example one version which prioritizes subject trades, one version that is more performance heavy (calculating which trade good to trade based on, e.g. preffering slave happiness trade goods if slaves are unhappy), a version that is super efficient (for slow computers), a version where script prioritizes filling food storage to max for food surplus bonuses (for 0.20% pop growth bonus)

Hell, with global or country variables, it's actually possible for players to configure a trade script to their liking via events if script is made modular.

Maybe this script structure would be best:

In Order of Priority:

1- Monthly Food Calculation script for all provinces:

This is converted to which and how much food trade goods province can export or needs to import (food equivalent), taking into count food modifiers, and writing results into state variables.

e.g. set_variable = {

name = food_requirement

value = **value in required food is (+), surplus food is (-)

}

2- Capital Province Script (Called a few days after 1st Script):

This one 1st reads Capitals food_requirement variable and if it's positive, imports food trade goods, then if there's empty trade slots, fill them with other trade goods to get capital surplus.

3- Food Import script for all provinces except capital provinces (Called a few days after 2nd Script):

Checks 1st Capital Region provinces, then other provinces.

Checks food_requirement state variables of scoped provinces;

A- If value is bigger than 0, starts checking other provinces which their food_requirement variable is below 0, and import food trade goods if they have excess trade good to export to our starving province.

If all trade routes are filled, and there's still not enough food, check if there's active non-food trade routes, and cancel them (low value 1st) one by one while importing food.

B- If value is below 0 (or -100 etc), check if there's any food being imported, if there's, calculate and delete trade route if necessary. This will free trade slots in event of excess food import.

4- Generic Non-Food script for all provinces except capital provinces (Called a few days after 3rd Script):

If there's empty trade slots, Import trade goods with high value priority 1st (maybe import from specific categories to increase happiness of low happiness pops)

If there's no empty trade slots, skip target province

5- Capital Surplus fixer script for Capital Province (Called a few days after 4th Script):

Recheck Capital Surpluses and remove export trade routes if goods produced in Capital Province doesn't give Surplus bonus because they get exported. This should be last script.

These scripts need a way of detecting differences, e.g. not activated if pop food consumption is same as last month, in order to improve performance via only running scripts for target provinces only if necessary.

Can start scripts via delayed hidden events, with each one getting called by previous script.

1st script can start via monthly pulse.

Also script can notify players and AI if food storage isn't enough or there isn't enough trade slots. (current starvation / low food pop up usually appears too late to do anything about it)

A command for how many times a province investment was made would be very welcome. To limit province growth or trigger an event base on ''num|_times_improved''. Can be useful for mods that want to counter snowball effect.

A command for how many times a province investment was made would be very welcome. To limit province growth or trigger an event base on ''num|_times_improved''. Can be useful for mods that want to counter snowball effect.
There's two already.

1- add_state_modification_value_effect = yes scripted effect does add "num_state_mods" variable to state.
You can use it without script as well:
Screenshot 2024-04-18 163308.png
Game adds this variable to effected State scope every time an investment is done to add free investments in case of civil war effects the State and investments are removed.

2- increment_state_investment_count = yes scripted effect does add "num_state_investments" variable to state by state investment event, one of events in question:
Screenshot 2024-04-18 164554.png
You can use it without script as well.
Screenshot 2024-04-18 164652.png
This variable is used to increase gold prices with each investment:
Screenshot 2024-04-18 164948.png

Game doesn't track which specific investments are done. It tracks sum of all.
However you can easily modify create a mod to make it track it via adding separate variables to each of their scripted ui or events.

For limiting it, just modify scripted ui button to disable if you reached the limit.

This doesn't require any dev time. I think dev time is better assigned into removing block boxed sections and adding modding tools.

• 1Like
Reactions: