• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The whole API thing is murky. None of the consoles or Epic speaks much about it. I know Epic was able to get something going with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. But it took the juggernaut of Fortnite and other conditions for them to get anywhere. I don't expect Paradox to be able to set something up on that front. It'd be nice, but the ball is mostly in the court of other companies.
I just really don't like this colour.
I could've sworn we at least had a few default avatars from the pre-Steam days.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They must have been turned off at some point. This is all I see.

They must have been turned off at some point
They were most likely broken with the forum switch, because up to that point they were still used on the forums.

This is why I don't like the fact we cannot upload custom avatars to begin with on this forum. I would like to know why this decision was ever made. Most forums I've been a part of has had that feature enabled for everyone.

If it comes down to moderating the content of said avatars, ... Xenforo supports Gravatar out of the box, Gravatar uses a rating system.

Code:
    g: suitable for display on all websites with any audience type.
    pg: may contain rude gestures, provocatively dressed individuals, the lesser swear words, or mild violence.
    r: may contain such things as harsh profanity, intense violence, nudity, or hard drug use.
    x: may contain hardcore sexual imagery or extremely disturbing violence.

You could just allow only g or pg rated gravatars to be used... It'd help persons like @Vastet above at least get an avatar, as its based on email address.

This is why I don't like the fact we cannot upload custom avatars to begin with on this forum. I would like to know why this decision was ever made. Most forums I've been a part of has had that feature enabled for everyone.

If it comes down to moderating the content of said avatars, ... Xenforo supports Gravatar out of the box, Gravatar uses a rating system.

Code:
    g: suitable for display on all websites with any audience type.
    pg: may contain rude gestures, provocatively dressed individuals, the lesser swear words, or mild violence.
    r: may contain such things as harsh profanity, intense violence, nudity, or hard drug use.
    x: may contain hardcore sexual imagery or extremely disturbing violence.

You could just allow only g or pg rated gravatars to be used... It'd help persons like @Vastet above at least get an avatar, as its based on email address.
I don't know if Gravatar takes into account things like German law banning certain symbols or faces, for example. There are specific issues with copyright that might also apply here.

I don't know if Gravatar takes into account things like German law banning certain symbols or faces, for example. There are specific issues with copyright that might also apply here.
I don't know if that's the case either, hence the previous question: I would like to know why this decision was ever made to not allow custom avatar uploads.

I don't know if that's the case either, hence the previous question: I would like to know why this decision was ever made to not allow custom avatar uploads.
Because we don't have to worry about moderating them at all, or the app failing us, it eliminates gaming the system, we don't have to store all the images, and it maintains a cohesive focus on the Paradox games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are options but I know there are problems with all of the options. Which is why I only ask for a simple colour palette. Even just 4 colours would offer some options.
I don't ask for badges because they can't be easily verified with all additional parties, and/or that would cost people who earned them the added benefits they got for purchasing a product and linking their account.
I don't ask for custom avatars because of a few different issues. If the forum only had 20 users that would be manageable. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, not so much. And also brings back the issue of lost benefits for purchasing products and linking accounts. But a simple colour scheme doesn't infringe on anyone or anything, and I think wouldn't be too hard to implement. The first letter of the username is a nice touch I think. It just needs a tiny selection of colour options to give a little bit of choice.

• 1Like
Reactions:
idea. hey do you have a steam account? I might be able to gift you a super cheap pdx game that comes with some avatars. it might not fix this for everyone; but at least you can change yours! PM me if your interested.

(note I don't check the forum every day, so if I don't respond asap, do not fret)

Because we don't have to worry about moderating them at all, or the app failing us,
My previous suggestion, Gravatar, does the moderation on their end for you, just use their rating system. Point 2, Gravatar support is built-in to Xenforo, so how "the app failing us" would happen, I'm not sure.
eliminates gaming the system
Define "gaming the system"
we don't have to store all the images
Storage is cheap nowadays... e: Also, to go back to the Gravatar suggestion, all the images are on their CDN, thus using them eliminates the need to store the images.
it maintains a cohesive focus on the Paradox games.
Now this is a valid reason for not allowing custom avatars, but I don't understand the whole "gaming the system" comment/phrase.

Last edited:
My previous suggestion, Gravatar, does the moderation on their end for you, just use their rating system.
Which I'm sure is not nearly as robust as you think. Something can be against the rules or not wanted on here and still be PG, or require the moderators to then go and double check, for example: visual dog whistles, lesser-known extremist iconography.

Define "gaming the system"
Two meanings:

1) Originally, a long time ago, custom avatars were available to people with a certain number of posts. This gave people a reason to post low-effort things. Ever notice that certain forums don't count for your post count?

2) Back to my first point. People like pushing the rules and trying to get away from it. Even if it's a small % of folk here, there's a lot of folks here.

Storage is cheap nowadays...
Easy to say when you're not worried at all about paying that cost.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"Mark Read"-Button for the whole forum at once ( and not just for each single sub-forum ) !

"Toggle Width" has ( still ) to be remembered !

"Mark Read"-Button for the whole forum at once ( and not just for each single sub-forum ) !

"Toggle Width" has ( still ) to be remembered !
Call me naively optimistic... but i have some homes for next week's maintenace...

Hey, so I have a suggestion for a change to how reactions function based on what I've seen over the last week.

The issue is this: a bunch of fake spam accounts have been made to react to a huge number of my posts with respectfully disagrees. I don't know who did this (well, I *know* but I don't have any direct evidence) but this has resulted in me having to mentally remove like 3 respectfully disagrees whenever I look at my posts. I find this to be rather annoying.

I suggest then the following solution, that if an account gets banned, their reactions are deleted or hidden from appearing on posts. All these spam accounts have been banned before I even realized that they existed and so this would be an effective way of filtering out their 'fake' reactions.

Hopefully I've made myself clear, and communicated across why I feel this would be a positive change. Thank you.

• 2Like
Reactions: