• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Painting Europe gray, but different.

After Lippe and Moravia I choose Wales for my next day 1 vassal release no nation ruin campaign. This took a few goes to get off the ground but once I did it was relatively easy going due to the buckets of ducats in the English channel.

Northern half of Africa is all subjects. Forgot I had marched Gascony and was too late for that annexation. South American CNs revolted really early (1600s) before I could annex Spain.

Picked up the Chop Chop achievement on the way but saved Anglophile for later. Couldn't stomach replacing this nice flag and map colour for boring old GB red.

PS: Anyone playing Wales remember to colonize or conquer the Society Islands for a fun little surprise.

20211204133240_1.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
Just finished my campaign with Bohemia. I decided to go for borders of the max extent what Bohemia had owned, I think it looks beautiful.

I'm the Holy Roman Emperor and all countries of HRE are Hussite. I've passed all the reforms, except for the last 2 of centralisation, so the member states don't become my vassals and I don't change my tag to HRE.
Scandinavia was formed by Denmark. They were eaten by Sweden and Lubeck, but I had problems with Lubeck, so I made them release them. After a while we became allies, when Sweden took some HRE provinces from Denmark. Then we counterattacked and in 4 wars took over whole of Sweden.
Italy got grown by me, so I can have a strong ally by my side. Little did I know that they would leave the HRE, when Tuscany formed it lol. The same thing happened with Scandinavia, when Denmark formed it.
Korea owns the Mandate.
Russia is a Nogai tributary.
Sunda is a GP and has taken some Spanish possessions in the Philippines.

What's up next? Not sure yet, but most likely outside of Europe.

Attachments

• 01. Bohemian Empire.png
    01. Bohemian Empire.png
    182,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 02. World map.png
    02. World map.png
    286,1 KB · Views: 0
  • 03. Score.png
    03. Score.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 04. Bohemian Empire.png
    04. Bohemian Empire.png
    3,8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2682808624

Damn, the last time I posted on here, Burgundy was a OPM. Anyway, this is my Genoa. I followed the mission tree, and only took provinces I have claims on. I'm lying, the only exception is that southern province in Naples, but I wanted to kick the Turk out of Italy. He annexed Naples, which sucked. On the other hand, I had a blast on this campaign.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've finally done One Faith after a missed by 3 in-game weeks failure back in September, but I've crowned it with One Culture too.
TAGs: Provence -> France -> Austria -> Croatia -> Sardinia Piedmont -> Italy ->Roman Empire -> HRE
Ideas: Influence; Offensive; Administrative; Religious; Diplomatic; Expansion (abandoned when everything got colonized and replaced with) Humanist; Aristocratic

Started out as Provence, dragged France into a war against England before the Maine event could fire for my core. Took it back, took one province to start a Normandy vassal, gave one province to France so that he'd be satisfied. At the game start Austria was one of my starting rivals (typical), but he either surpassed me or simply switched me to Savoy, which came in handy, because he was now an enemy of my enemy. After the English war I moved capital to Marseille, improved and allied Austria and joined the HRE. Broke alliance with France, ditched Austria, picked up Burgundy, hoping to feed him into France and surroundings, then inherit. Using the Provencal mission tree I reconquered Naples, but missed out on the Aragonese PU because of an early IW. Burgundy became hostile after the second French war, breaking the RM and ruining my inheritance, then promptly died. Austria demanded he release the lowlands, he complied, France attacked for the PU but got his teeth kicked in and lost Paris. Just after the BI went down Austria died young and I got voted Emperor (rubbing in the salt of losing the BI), then very shortly after the Burgundian war France he fell under a free PU with me due to our shared dynasty.

I didn't plan to form France, but getting him into a PU was a nice way to get rid of him, and getting Emperorship meant I couldn't disinherit freely to fish for a Castilian PU, thankfully France has a CB in his mission tree. In the 50 years until I could integrate France I followed the Provence missions, conquering Aragon, PU-ing Hungary. I also started getting into Savoyard lands, used Milan and the Swiss to eat him up for me so I could vassalize an OPM and then reconquest. When taking the Savoyard lands back from the Swiss I allied and called into the war Austria (once he loses Emperorship he likes to eat everything to connect his lands), fed him the Swiss, then with a stroke of genius I unlawfuled him for the Swiss lands. He felt a big boy and said no, so after the truce I promptly dismembered him using the Imperial Ban CB, releasing Tirol and Styria, which because of the never going away free guarantees he didn't dare to touch again.

Meanwhile the reformation was also happening, Bohemia turned full hussite with a center (second time I've seen it happen in one of my games since it has been introduced, first time when I was also in Europe), which thankfully mostly molested Poland, eventually turning him into hussite. I dealt with the other centers more or less pretty quickly, but Bohemia was huge, bigger then to enforce religion. IA gain was in the gutter, I barely managed to pass reforms, and I was gunning for Erbkaisertum so that I can kick heirs for potential PUs, most notably Russia. Bohemia somehow lost a war (I didn't pay attention, I was crusading the Ottomans), and was forced to release his starting vassals plus Moravia. This finally meant that I could declare on him using the Hungarian permaclaim and enforced religion, preventing the League war from ever happening.

Picked up Russia as an ally, he naturally got my dynasty, so when the first opportunity arose I pounced and PU-ed him. Followed the French missions, PU-ed Castile (who at one point had Portugal but lost him, and despite the domineering AI didn't go for it until the CB expired), and, thanks to my Ideas, the age of reformation ability, the Council of Trent and the Malta fort I actually used the French Subjugate CB against Poland, who stretched from the Baltic to the Black Sea, but has eaten into the Ukraine because went with the local noble at the game start and eventually fell out with Lithuania.

Once I had the Castilian PU, it was time to get rid of Austria, so I could reform him for his missions. I diplo-vassalized Tirol and Styria, took Wien for myself and gave the rest to one of the Bavarian minors. Integrated the vassals, formed Austria, did it's more important missions (kicking Ottomans out of Europe, getting the Imperial Austrian Monarchy government reform and so on. When I was done, flipped Croatian, mainly for the permanent -5 years of separatism modifier, then formed Sardinia Piedmont, did the missions, formed Italy,, conquered into England, integrated Castile, ate mainland Portugal, formed Rome but kept Italian ideas, then finally I was done and unified the HRE, because didn't really want to abuse the vassal swarm, and switched to HRE ideas.

This was 1647, I had -55% CCR, -90% integration cost and 60% admin efficiency form missions, monuments, absolutism, etc. And then the fun began. With 16 month coring cycles, I basically conquered the rest of the world by 1744. using a combination of direct conquests and catching and releasing huge, culturally homogenous vassals to use for helping out in conversions, Up until that point, I only had Europe (plus the parts needed for Rome from England, Africa and the Middle East) and had a Russian PU. Once Imperialism hit, I conquered and released/consolidated: Songhai in Sub-Saharan Africa, Kilwa in East Africa, Kongo in Central Africa, Chagatai for the Oirat region, Manchu for Manchuria, Japan, and since Ming was dead, I got Wu for China. The rest I conquered and cored directly. Moved capital to Australia for the true one tag, ate up the Americas, and finally finished the WC in 1744. One faith was done except for one province with expelled minorities until 1758, so I integrated my subjects and set out to culture convert the world to Roman.

I chose Piedmontese for the culture to flip to Roman, so I was spreading it quite early where I could from the moment I got my hands on some of that clay. Maxing out the culture conversion reduction was possible in earlier patches too, but with the introduction of monuments, and as of 1.32 the estate privilege (I did not use it, but it was there should the need have arisen) getting to the floor is trivial nowadays. I finally finished in 1805, could have managed it a little sooner, but I mistimed how much more would I need to start all conversions before I convert Kotagede, since you lose out on the monument once the province isn't Javanese anymore.

russia_cheap.jpg
Some cheap, cheap integrations.

t1t1.jpg

t1t2.jpg

True one tag in 1749.

1f.jpg
1f2.jpg

One faith (finally) achieved in February 1759.

1c.jpg
1c2.jpg
1c3.jpg

Btw, I'm calling this Wholly Roman Empire :D

wholly_roman.jpg

Attachments

• 20211216041112_1.jpg
    20211216041112_1.jpg
    536,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well, I finally committed myself to getting TTM. Nothing clever, just a basic Confucian Emperor of China one-tag WC. ~60 hours spent.

20211215224022_1.jpg

20211215224305_1.jpg

Impossibly stable, courtesy of hegemony, Humanist+Influence policy, monuments... many things were half-assed in the last 100 years or so. Realised about 3-4 hours before the end that I had 400 reform progress unspent, couldn't be bothered to delete buildings for Yamen (courthouse), kept making basic mistakes etc. I partly blame this on playing late at night to find the time.

20211216201118_1.jpg

20211215224655_1.jpg

First game with Leviathan and Emperor DLC. Could definitely have better optimised in regards to great projects etc., but eh. Passed last EoC reform just because.

20211215224214_1.jpg

Forts are useful for monsoon devastation. Also, didn't bother deleting them. Only moved traders to collect in Genoa/Venice/EC at the very end.
20211215224236_1.jpg

Dat innovativeness.. Definitely wasn't trying for any speed record.
20211215224242_1.jpg

Unlocked three ideas from Exploration and save-scummed colonialism before abandoning it. Truthfully, only committed to scumming it when I realised that bad luck with ruler death + unwise spending and lack of planning meant I wouldn't make it BUT then got the Radical Reforms event for 200 DIP/200 ADM and barely got the colony down to fulfill requirements with less than a year to spare.
20211215224313_1.jpg

Harmonized Islam-Pagan-Hindu-Christian in that order before adding extra ones for no reason.
20211215224353_1.jpg

Had the integration privilege basically the entire game, excepting a short period for Court & Country. The EoC government reform's estate influence reductions actually help with estate management, basically never seized land after getting EoC while crownland went from ~60% to 90%+. Also had wool monopoly basically all game for no particular reason.

Some highlights:

20211203234445_1.jpg

Ming collapsed in the early 16th Century, hard. Shun became my most reliable attack dog until I inevitably betrayed them and never had allies again.
My max manpower was only about 17k after culture shifting to Jianghuai...

20211204021702_1.jpg

... Luckily my navy was superior and Japan decided to leave it's army fighting on the mainland. Still not sure why they thought they could win.
Tropical attrition took such an extreme toll on my manpower while conquering Malacca trade node.

20211205192801_1.jpg

Did Court & Country quite late. Thankfully the co-incidence of the -10% autonomy government reform, soldiers' households and the first two Quantity ideas allowed me to actually punch with my own military. Just as planned.. *cough* *ahem*. Min, Wu, Changsheng were my Mandate farms until the very end of the game.

20211206030112_1.jpg

Adolf Johan Tudor never made it to the throne, alas. Some time later, took some provinces in Britain during one of their independence wars (which they couldn't win, for some reason), but could not beat their navy in wave after wave of attacks and thus never occupied the Gaelic islands until the very end when I full annexed in a peace deal.

20211211175140_1.jpg

This is basically how I took all the Americas. Not shown: Old world colonized provinces taken in previous wars to save trouble.

20211211194445_1.jpg

Army tradition reaches 100 for the first time. I'd forgotten to tech mil at an important level! Their cannons totally outclassed mine. Ottomans had 700+ regiments and only 200k max manpower, so this war saw the decisive downfall of Ottoman power.

20211212221832_1.jpg

Not sure why I got this event at this time. Maybe the only time a ruler died while at peace?

20211215223439_1.jpg

The last independent nation. I forgot to annex them during a previous war. In the end I waited for my vassals to integrate before declaring war, breaking the truce by 1 year, so I could get a pretty screenshot.

Attachments

• 20211215224121_1.jpg
    20211215224121_1.jpg
    584,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10Like
Reactions:
After trying on and off for several years, I finally ended up getting Ming to turn Catholic and not explode. While in this game I tried for a Convert to Confucian -> Culture Convert -> Convert Catholic route, it was almost definitely suboptimal. If I ever try going Christian Ming again, I'll probably focus on harmonizing pagans instead of conversion to reduce the number of provinces needed to be occupied by Catholic rebels in order to convert. As a Celestial Empire, devastation can be, well devastating

Country Map
1639710901319.png
Religion Map (Cardinals in Beijing, Nanjing, Dacheng (Ayutthaya), and Corsica (I took it for the naval range, sue me)
1639710916108.png
Culture Map
1639710924050.png
Chinese Culture Map
1639710932334.png
ROTW (Revolution really took off this game)
1639711546816.png

Probably could have converted earlier if I tried some cheesy strats like conquering Europe or American colonies, but the way this came together felt more organic and fun.

• 3Like
Reactions:
No WC or anything, but I'm super-happy with my current Byz-run! :D Got a PU over both France and Hungary some time ago which has been very helpful to say the least. Now I'm preparing to backstab my long-time ally Russia :cool:
eu4_21.png

• 10Like
Reactions:
No WC or anything, but I'm super-happy with my current Byz-run! :D Got a PU over both France and Hungary some time ago which has been very helpful to say the least. Now I'm preparing to backstab my long-time ally Russia :cool:
View attachment 786921
Back in the EU3 days I managed to nab a PU with Muscovy as Byzantium. It's a good feel to big a big, orthodox blob

• 3Like
Reactions:
Finally done with Oman ! The pain it was to get those newly converted sunnit provinces in Malaisia ! But luckily no islam in the new world.
Portugal got a PU on USA right before going revolutionnary, and France never took Normandy back, but otherwise pretty classic game. Ibadism is a rpetty strong school, but as soon as I had religious ideas it became pretty overkill

oman2.png

• 4Like
Reactions:
Finally finished my Vijayanagar run.
Some notes:
Yemen is my march.
Kutch grew so huge, because I needed an ally against Gujarat, Multan and Delhi, but then they became uncontrollable and started to expand on their own.
A similar case for the Commonwealth, I needed an ally against the Ottomans, but then they just started to rampage in the East.
Wallachia is the Holy Roman Emperor.
Russia is an Oirat vassal.
Qing formed in 1819.

Attachments

• 01. Vijayanagari Empire.png
    01. Vijayanagari Empire.png
    182,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 02. World map.png
    02. World map.png
    285,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 03. Score.png
    03. Score.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • 04. Vijayanagari Empire.png
    04. Vijayanagari Empire.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Bunte Kuh (and Foul Mouth) picked up

eu4_1.png

Stayed Free City for about 10 years to dev up , during which I also vassalized Stade, before conquering Saxe-Lauenburg. Expanded slowly but steadily in order to form Hanover.

Brandenburg was a steady earlygame ally, before I backstabbed them in about 1570 to get through my expand eastward mission tree. By that time I had luckily picked up good ol (mostly) reliable France as an ally. By 1600 I owned a good chunk of northern Germany and a small Rhine Province, and through Economic and Quantity Ideas I had a decently sized army with good quality through the Hanoverian ideas. So I prepared to PU Great Britain. By 1606, they were mine, didn't even need to call in England. 20 Heavy ships and 4 26-unit stacks on the island were enough.

So I turned my attention to ending the abomination that was the HRE. Austria had a very weak game, what with Styria being free with all their cores in 1480, but managed some slight consolidation in the midgame, which included a PU over Bohemia, which sat at 95% integrated when the Ottomans crashed into poor little Austria. That left one of the electors unable for me to control. So I dragged Austria in a war with me for the sole purpose of making them release Bohemia. A few years later, after fixing me relation with Bohemia in order to ally them I ended the HRE in 1632 with my final war against BBurg.

Next major expansion target was Bohemia. First war took Erz area. Then I saw that I was able to trigger C&C, so I truce-broke as soon as my cores were finished. I was able to take the entire rest of Bohemia in a single peace deal, even after falling into C&C. This was Europe by the late 1650s (Stettin was my vassal):

eu4_3.png

Me and France (and Switzerland before the League war broke the Franco-Swiss alliance) formed the Central Powers, against a strong Spain in the west and a cursed Ottoman-Russian alliance in the east. Utrecht also had a strong game, being able to form the Netherlands and be a thorn in my side up until the very end of the game.

By 1666 GB was integrated. -25% integration cost (curia power + generic mission) and integrating at 13 dip/month made that a breeze. Now that I was in possession of some colonies, I decided to start working on getting the trading bonus for gems. Luckily for me India looked like this:

eu4_4.png

Chartered Vanni from Bahmanis, ferried 2 stacks over, killed Madurai (forgot about Maldives though). Brought 2 more stacks over, killed the horribly backward Bahmanis and took the coast up to Andhra as well as Golconda.

In the late 1680s France flipped to my dynasty, and while they got an heir quickly he only had a weak claim. By that point I had also allied Bavaria while the French-Swiss alliance had broke down decades earlier during the league war, and so the German Avengers were able to put the French in the PU under me.

Unfortunately though for them I wanted to form Germany for the +20% goods produced from its idea set, and so I backstabbed first Bavaria and then Switzerland. In 1703, I formed Germany. To celebrate the occasion, I beat up Bahmanis a second time.

Unfortunately though the Russian-Ottoman alliance remained as strong as ever, which prevented my from blobbing into cattle-rich eastern Europe. So I took an alternative path. Firstly, I picked up Economic Hegemon to give me another bonus to goods produced. Secondly, I identified coastal trade nodes with cattle in them in which I had province nearby (namely Aden, Gujarat and Rio Grande). Thirdly, I spammed out light ships to put into said trade nodes. Fourthly, I beat up Ajuuraan for their coastline, for more cattle and trade power in Aden.

Following a third Bahmani beatdown in which I took their western coastline I gained a lot of trade power in Gujarat, soon after which the achievement triggered. Oh and while all that was going on I also decided that the Netherlands needed to die. Between two of my wars against them they picked up a PU with Sweden, which allowed me to yoink Prussia and Lithuania from them.

After Bunte Kuh had been achieved and the Netherlands killed, I scornfully insulted my neighbours to pick up Foul Mouth.

Could I continue this campaign? Sure, but I've played a lot of Germany games after Emperor, so I don't really have any interest to do another. Plus that Russian-Ottoman alliance would be painful to fight. And my idea set isn't really suited for massive conquests as well. Haven't even picked up Admin ideas yet.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I have done my first WC. I took Poland. It was perfect start. I got early Lithuania PU and Moldova as vassal. I went for Bohemia PU. Rest it was normal game till I got Burgundian Kiss and Sweden as Vassal. I saw that France attacked Englad and they were in the Island. It was crucial moment. I build the fleet and took London region. After that I was slowly killing England, Ottomans, Russians and France. I could not to be offensive because I had 3-4 European coalitions war in 16 century,, because of Austria and Hungary PU. In 17 century I had brillant move. I had chance got PU for Spain and Portugal. I claim both throne at the same time. Portugal and Spain were with Aliance with me and and I dissolved with Spain Aliance and already attack them. I took peace deal with Portugal and already attack them again for normal PU. I took few years, because both of them were strong. Rest is history. Biggest mistake I have done it was I did not take Alhambra Monument from Spain in peace deal. Most weird thing was England after lossing most land in main land. They created Iceand and this country had pernament claims for England and France Region. Another was small Japan with bigger Ouchi in Japanese Region. In my game I saw Aksum, Westphalia and Qing. Westphalia was one of my released vassals. First time I saw Maravi which have all eastern part of Africa. I did not know that Commonewealth can create Roman Empire:).

I took Religion, Dyplomatic, Administrative, Offensive, Influence, Humanist, Quantity, Quality Ideas.

Attachments

• 20211225025506_1.jpg
    20211225025506_1.jpg
    358,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211225025500_1.jpg
    20211225025500_1.jpg
    374,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211225025449_1.jpg
    20211225025449_1.jpg
    365,7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211225025428_1.jpg
    20211225025428_1.jpg