• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the wrecked possibilities of the Iberian Wedding hurts my eyes :(

I know I messed up there but I was not about to let Aragon fall to the english sphere of influence, as they had already done with Portugal. Being in between two english allies would be an existential threat. If I learned anything from HOI is that two front wars suck.

Also, I wanted to become 'Imperator Totius Hispaniae' or King of all the Spains. The entire former roman province must be mine. In fact, a long term goal is to rebuild the old Roman Empire and usher in a new golden age of classical civilization.

eu4_8.png

Just finished my "Prester John" achievement run.
Who knew Ethiopia was such a powerhouse?

Also, inflation is just a number.

One-tagging with Potiguara's start is probably easier than any of the Andean tech nations right now, and certainly than Mesoamericans :/.
I always seem to see Potiguara get annexed by Portugal or Portuguese Brazil as soon as they have a border essentially leaving them with no time to prepare much like a mesoamerican start.

I always seem to see Potiguara get annexed by Portugal or Portuguese Brazil as soon as they have a border essentially leaving them with no time to prepare much like a mesoamerican start.

Then you can always move to a better location. That's the beauty of American tribes, isn't it?

Iberians don't even land in new world until after 1500 usually and don't get colonial conquest until after 1520-1530 ish. Very much unlike Mesoamerica (because you can see and because you have an easy border), that's plenty of time to...prepare.

Then you can always move to a better location. That's the beauty of American tribes, isn't it?

Yes, a better location.

Like the entire Andes, for example.

Iberians don't even land in new world until after 1500 usually and don't get colonial conquest until after 1520-1530 ish. Very much unlike Mesoamerica (because you can see and because you have an easy border), that's plenty of time to...prepare.

Yes, a better location.

Like the entire Andes, for example.
Ok then, I propose you execute a one-tag Potiguara.

Ok then, I propose you execute a one-tag Potiguara.

I propose you don't move the goalpost :D. I'm claiming Potiguara is easier than Aztec and probably than Inca, not that I can do it myself. Delhi is easier to 1-tag than either of those, but it turns out that they're pretty freaking hard too.

But in terms of relative viability/possible position in the game within the first 100 years, Potiguara wins over Aztec. Potiguara can conquer 300 development and complete westernization before 1550. With Aztec you can...pass 5 reforms and sit there, then tech to ADM 5, then maybe get a border core in time to start westernizing by 1550 if you're exceptionally lucky, otherwise you eat a blind colonial conquest DoW or just wind up waiting until 1560+ to start westernizing. Not a guaranteed loss outright, but a guaranteed loss of time.

Western + similar development at 1530 vs western at 1570 or 1580. My assertion is that the former is likely the easier candidate for 1-tagging because its position is better. Your assertion that the latter is a better position is...somewhat lacking in evidence.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can you show me how Aztec can *consistently* westernize in the 1520-1550 range in 1.13.1? If you can I would change my position. Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge now Potiguara can do it and Aztec can't, so the former wins.

I propose you don't move the goalpost :D. I'm claiming Potiguara is easier than Aztec and probably than Inca, not that I can do it myself. Delhi is easier to 1-tag than either of those, but it turns out that they're pretty freaking hard too.

But in terms of relative viability/possible position in the game within the first 100 years, Potiguara wins over Aztec. Potiguara can conquer 300 development and complete westernization before 1550. With Aztec you can...pass 5 reforms and sit there, then tech to ADM 5, then maybe get a border core in time to start westernizing by 1550 if you're exceptionally lucky, otherwise you eat a blind colonial conquest DoW or just wind up waiting until 1560+ to start westernizing. Not a guaranteed loss outright, but a guaranteed loss of time.

Western + similar development at 1530 vs western at 1570 or 1580. My assertion is that the former is likely the easier candidate for 1-tagging because its position is better. Your assertion that the latter is a better position is...somewhat lacking in evidence.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can you show me how Aztec can *consistently* westernize in the 1520-1550 range in 1.13.1? If you can I would change my position. Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge now Potiguara can do it and Aztec can't, so the former wins.
I never asserted that Aztec was easier (don't put words in my mouth), I said they were similar levels of difficulty and my reasoning being that Potiguara is discovered by westerners before aztec and more isolated (I dont have COP so hadn't considered relocation).

D

Damn! How'd you do it that fast?

I NO CBed Benin, and annexed them. After that I allied everyone who was willing
and constantly attacked everyone else to keep them out of coalitions until I conquered all of West Africa.

During that time I managed to westernize on a portuguese colony, and I built some heavies
and DOWed them and Castile (their navies were already wrecked by the ottomans) and got all their colonies in Africa.

After this I started colonizing in Asia and moved my capital to Diego Garcia to reduce colonist travel time. I also
started conquering Kilwa and Mutapa who conquered the Zanzibar trade node.

For North Africa I diplo vasalized Fez and Tlemcen that lost a lot of cores to Tunis and conquered it all between them and me.
For East Africa I diplo vasalized Warsangali and Hedjaz that lost a lot of cores to Oman.
They both take Religious ideas so I gave them all coptic and ibadi land.

For the Ottomans I diplo vasalized what was left of the Mamluks and gave them their land back with reconquest CB. To reduce
truce times I would white peace Tunis (who was allied to the Ottomans) and take 100% from the Ottomans. After 5 years I would
DOW Tunis and white peace the Ottomans and take 100% from Tunis.

Edit: Also I turned sunny early on by having a vassal hold most conquered animist provinces.

Last edited:
I never asserted that Aztec was easier (don't put words in my mouth), I said they were similar levels of difficulty and my reasoning being that Potiguara is discovered by westerners before aztec and more isolated (I dont have COP so hadn't considered relocation).

You don't need CoP, you need no-CB wars.

The reason Potiguara (and other SA councils) are at a significant advantage (much higher potential than Aztec right now) is precisely because they can consistently get contact sooner. Before the Iberians get colonial conquest, they're a lot less aggressive, and you can trivially border them w/o fighting them as Potiguara, while the vast majority of your land (as in roughly 95% of your development) is located in an area they can't see yet and won't for another 20-30 years after you reform.

That is NOTHING like Aztec, where you can be hit by a colonial conquest war literally before you're capable of doing diplomacy with the nation attacking you. These are not similar situations, at all. Both can conquer 300+ development, but only one gets a guaranteed contact and westernization, and gets it so much faster and safer that it's silly.

Compare this

To this:

And try telling me the latter, which couldn't possibly start westernization until 1560, is somehow similar :).

After 600+ hours played, I tried a colonial nation for the first time. And I guess I did pretty good.

I also have Australia and some islands in indian/pacific. My early game was a bit weird, because I wanted to eat some France to prevent them from annoying me later (and get the achievement One Night in Paris) it was fine because Burgundy DOWed them as well, so we basically split France between them and me even if we were rivals. However I had an event which gave me a heir, so WotR never fired, but this Dumbass Lancaster died at around 60 years old so I was really really late in tech. And Portugal/castille were already colonizing south america when I couldn't even reach Greenland.
But after that I DoWed them to take their colonies and everything went fine (even if I had to colonize everything by myself with my 3 guys, so it was pretty long). At least in Europe I was safe as I allied big Austria/Poland/Lithuania and I actually was so bored when colonizing that I actually sent troops to help my allies in tehir offensive wars. First time ever I do this.
And late game when colonisation was over, I steam rolled Europe (France was a 2PM, but they ended up with a PU over Burgundy who had at least 40 provinces, that's the definition of lucky nation I guess) for the 60 last years.

I also got a lot of achievements in that game, some were unexpected.

You don't need CoP, you need no-CB wars.

The reason Potiguara (and other SA councils) are at a significant advantage (much higher potential than Aztec right now) is precisely because they can consistently get contact sooner. Before the Iberians get colonial conquest, they're a lot less aggressive, and you can trivially border them w/o fighting them as Potiguara, while the vast majority of your land (as in roughly 95% of your development) is located in an area they can't see yet and won't for another 20-30 years after you reform.

That is NOTHING like Aztec, where you can be hit by a colonial conquest war literally before you're capable of doing diplomacy with the nation attacking you. These are not similar situations, at all. Both can conquer 300+ development, but only one gets a guaranteed contact and westernization, and gets it so much faster and safer that it's silly.

Compare this

To this:

And try telling me the latter, which couldn't possibly start westernization until 1560, is somehow similar :).
I didn't even begin this arguement about Aztec you plucked it out of thin air. I simply pointed out two nations I don't believe could one tag. The rest of this is all your making. I couldn't care less which is worse Aztec or Potiguara. So, just for you, Aztec is a million times more difficult, happy now?

I didn't even begin this arguement about Aztec you plucked it out of thin air. I simply pointed out two nations I don't believe could one tag. The rest of this is all your making. I couldn't care less which is worse Aztec or Potiguara. So, just for you, Aztec is a million times more difficult, happy now?

Yes. I want that region of the world fixed because it used to be fun to play :D.

Heres my latest teutotnic order->prussia->germany run :)

Heres what the teutons looked at, at it's peak (before prussia)
AdEokKI.jpg

Then, Prussia at it's peak.
iJLiPhH.jpg

And Germany:
spNBycB.jpg

Finland and italia are marches (italia, frankreich and east caucasus are client states)

Overall, it was a pretty cool campaign,
albeit very easy with the teuton/prussian OP ideas, i went overly militaristic in this campaign,
and had a great amount of fun! :)
could probably had conquered all of france had i started early enough...

Last edited: