• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Recently formed Sardinia Piedmonte, felt like I had to post this to make all the people obsessed with neat borders cringe at this game. Ottomans collapsed because Crimea attacked genoa who called in France Austria and others who full occupied Ottomans before they peaced out.

Oh. We like awful borders?

We like awful borders.

Prussia, properly disconnected. Also, who is it in Rome? Tunis?

It looks like Siena; the word definitely ends in an -a, at any rate.

Siena has Rome. I was allied with Austria a long time (they had PU on Bohemia and Hungary), in fact I cheesed France there. France declared on my ally Savoy, who called all of its allies including me. But I ignored that and declared on France and called all my allies also before answering Savory CTA, so France found itself on the wrong side of many times its forces and several luckies. Austria and I got piled big in the league war (outnumbered 2:1), but WL Prussia got full occupied thanks to me so the Catholic league won and Austria took a ton of their land (gave me no claims too lol). Austria then promptly dumped me as an ally a few decades later. They wanted my provinces you see. What they got, which I haven't shown here as borders have gradually cleaned up a bit, is a face full of soldiers and the privilege of giving me some vassals to feed later.

I tried to make a new Roman Empire as Italy, this is where I am now, and I'm probably just going to give up.

gTFaC5f.png

Expansion is now extremely difficult due to the following:
1: I managed to win a few provinces from Castille but then they allied England, Portugal and Austria, which is an alliance I would rather not tangle with.
2: France my ally and they're allied to Austria.
3: Ottomans are allied to Tunis which makes Baltic and north African expansion basically impossible. (France and Poland are my allies but neither have rivalled the Ottomans so they wouldn't join a war if I started one)
4: Austria is allied to France, Castille, England, Portugal, and Aragon.
5: Serbia is allied to France.
6: Lithuania wants my Black sea provinces and keeps Declaring war on me whenever a truce ends.
7: Everyone but Poland and France absolutely hate me.

I tried to make a new Roman Empire as Italy, this is where I am now, and I'm probably just going to give up.

Expansion is now extremely difficult due to the following:
1: I managed to win a few provinces from Castille but then they allied England, Portugal and Austria, which is an alliance I would rather not tangle with.
2: France my ally and they're allied to Austria.
3: Ottomans are allied to Tunis which makes Baltic and north African expansion basically impossible. (France and Poland are my allies but neither have rivalled the Ottomans so they wouldn't join a war if I started one)
4: Austria is allied to France, Castille, England, Portugal, and Aragon.
5: Serbia is allied to France.
6: Lithuania wants my Black sea provinces and keeps Declaring war on me whenever a truce ends.
7: Everyone but Poland and France absolutely hate me.

You should have allied Austria + Spain + sometimes England and, once big enough, taken down France while they were in a war. Cutting France into vassals through a few wars gives you a whole area to expand into, which will get you big enough to take out Ottomans and then Spain (order doesn't matter). North Africa and the Middle East is also easy to expand into.

France expands into Italy, which makes them a horrible ally. Spain is a good ally until you are big enough, after which you will need to take their Italian provinces (if they still have them).

Thanks, I'm still quite new to the game and I keep thinking "Just sit and wait until expansion opportunities appear" but that's a horrible strategy so far.

I may try again one day and take France early on, but for now I'm going to play someone else for a while.

My Nuremberg game I just finished up (the last screenshot I got of it, anyway. the map didn't change much after this):

PUhZd2e.jpg

That's my client state, Benevento. I also have France, Poland, Lithuania, and Sweden under PUs. I guess this map would be a better representation of my empire then:
WfZ2dWe.jpg

I started as just a small HRE state, and grew to consume most of the central states. Austria was a valuable ally for a while, but after the reformation, they just didn't want to stay friendly. So I ate them. Sweden had Denmark down to a OPM, so I diplo-vassalized them and fed them back their cores.

Then Sweden fell under a PU with Russia, and gave me the option to fight for it. I got the Valois dynasty soon after that, as did Poland. Eventually I claimed Poland's throne, soon after that France didn't have an heir, so I claimed their's. In the meantime, I was eating up the remainder of the HRE and taking lands from the Ottomans.

In the last decade, Lithuania got the Valois fever from me, and had no heir, so I claimed their throne too. It's a shame all these PUs happened in the last century, so I just didn't get the time between all the conquering to get my opinion up and integrate.

In another note, I saw the AI Utrecht form the Netherlands on its own, the first I've ever seen that. I allied them for a while until they got mad at me for PUing France. Then I ate them too.

AE was crazy this game. I had constant coalitions within the HRE, and I only kept afloat by allying France/Poland/Lithuania as well as Austria, Aragon, Venice, and the Netherlands for a time.

The final map of things:
JcbutNp.png

My Nuremberg game I just finished up (the last screenshot I got of it, anyway. the map didn't change much after this):

PUhZd2e.jpg

That's my client state, Benevento. I also have France, Poland, Lithuania, and Sweden under PUs. I guess this map would be a better representation of my empire then:
WfZ2dWe.jpg

I started as just a small HRE state, and grew to consume most of the central states. Austria was a valuable ally for a while, but after the reformation, they just didn't want to stay friendly. So I ate them. Sweden had Denmark down to a OPM, so I diplo-vassalized them and fed them back their cores.

Then Sweden fell under a PU with Russia, and gave me the option to fight for it. I got the Valois dynasty soon after that, as did Poland. Eventually I claimed Poland's throne, soon after that France didn't have an heir, so I claimed their's. In the meantime, I was eating up the remainder of the HRE and taking lands from the Ottomans.

In the last decade, Lithuania got the Valois fever from me, and had no heir, so I claimed their throne too. It's a shame all these PUs happened in the last century, so I just didn't get the time between all the conquering to get my opinion up and integrate.

In another note, I saw the AI Utrecht form the Netherlands on its own, the first I've ever seen that. I allied them for a while until they got mad at me for PUing France. Then I ate them too.

AE was crazy this game. I had constant coalitions within the HRE, and I only kept afloat by allying France/Poland/Lithuania as well as Austria, Aragon, Venice, and the Netherlands for a time.

The final map of things:
JcbutNp.png
lucky :D

Tuscany->Italy game. The plan had been to form Italy and then take every single coastal province in Europe, Africa and Asia. Turns out there were a lot more than I anticipated. :( I spent a lot of time in Europe just waiting for truces that I could have been spending on conquering further out.

YPqTYAw.png

Little easier to tell my provinces in this one.

1EGbNA2.png

Here's my beautiful Switzerlake after tidying up my borders a little bit. It took a couple of false starts, but I am super proud! Playing to blob - especially without ports - really forces you to be aggressive. I get the feeling that I'm never aggressive enough, but I need to rest, too, don't I!?

2pzd5aw.jpg

Here's the diplo view. Guyenne, Hansa and Holstein are my vassals. No Beach Zone is my port-soaking client state.

b50djp.jpg

Tuscany->Italy game. The plan had been to form Italy and then take every single coastal province in Europe, Africa and Asia. Turns out there were a lot more than I anticipated. :( I spent a lot of time in Europe just waiting for truces that I could have been spending on conquering further out.

YPqTYAw.png

Little easier to tell my provinces in this one.

1EGbNA2.png

Great job! That's a pretty cool goal to set oneself!

My Italy game is actually starting to get better, Castille broke their alliance with Britain so I Declared war on them before they could make a new alliance (They were still allied with Portugal). I managed to take Cadiz in the war but I could have taken more if France's colonies weren't completely crushed.

Then, someone forced the Ottomans to release Epirus which I am now force-vassalising with Serbia.
MM3Hwiy.png

Last edited: