• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Multiplayer game, no mods, 1444 start, sort of rotating players, sometimes the same person will play their country other times other players will take over. I have been the Ottomans since 1444, however, and France has been France since 1444 as well. France and I struck up an alliance of circumstance against a-once quite powerful Austria (complete with Burgundian inheritance lands) and have been allied ever since, with France biting chunks out of Austrian Netherlands and me taking bites out of Austria proper. I have also been allied to a rotating player Tunis for quite a long time, since before Tunis ever bordered the Mamlukes, although the alliance here is rather once sided, as I have had to help Tunis many a time to destroy his rebels, as well as helping him take pieces of the Mamlukes. He can be considered a de facto puppet of the Ottoman Empire. We have recently come to border each other (I own Alexandria, he owns the province next to it) which may cause contention later on.

France even once valiantly answered a call to arms with me against a truly massive continent spanning coalition against me, including a relatively whole Qara Qoyolonu, Poland, Lithuania, Austria, Milan, Venice, Hungary, Savoy and a bunch of other eastern/central HRE minors, knowing full well the tidal wave could have come toward them. I abandoned my front-line vassal Serbia, and my personal European holdings, and reversed Byzantium'ed the coalition at the strait, and destroyed the coalition declarer/leader, Qara, in quite a few battles (they declared Tribal Conquest, a 'show superiority' CB) allowing a relatively quick white peace, with me only losing 11k manpower and France losing slightly less. If someone on the European side of the strait had declared the coalition I would have been a goner.

The Ottoman Empire stretches from the border of Vienna, the Austrian capital, and Venice, all the way south to Alexandria, North to Crimea, and East to the Timurids.

Vassal in west: Serbia, owns entire balkans and parts of former Austrian territory, as far north as Stiermark or Knarten, I forget which.
Vassal in the north: Georgia, have been feeding parts of QQ to them, as well as Circassia, with relatively few rebel problems. Recently annexed.
Vassal in South: A super Syria, quite a stalwart vassal, itself stretching to my personal territory in SE Anatolia, to the central Arabian peninsula, to Egypt.
Vassal in the East: Recently, Iraq, owning most of its cores from QQ, although not shown in the screenshot.

There has been no PvP (player versus player) interactions in the MP game involving me so far, although there had been quite a few points of contention, with Oran being owned by a player Castille, (who sometimes makes the MP games and other times not) who is allied to France.

Great Britain (rotating player as well, has been absent in recent games) questioning Danish (rotating player also, recently absent from games) piracy in his trade node as well as French Irish holdings.

Poland/Lithuania exists, has never been a player. Recently formed Commonwealth and is quite scary, although tecnologically inferior and fewer in numbers, it would cost quite a pretty penny to destroy them.

This screenie is a little old, I have since cleansed that Bosnia OPM from the center of my holdings in the Balkans, have taken more from QQ and released Iraq as a vassal, as well as further destroying the Mamluke Sultanate of Egypt (to Syria)

1SFrXUp.jpg

Last edited:
Funnily enough, the first game where I decide to not westernize is the first game where everyone westernizes! This is my first 1.8 - actually started in 1.8 and finished in 1.9.2 (or whatever the latest patch is).

So, premise of the game:
1. Start an Indian/Hindu minor, preferably one in a miserable position. One with somewhat decent ideas and a nice color.
2. Dominate India with it ASAP.
3. Don't westernize.
4. Blob as much as possible, maybe even get some achievements along the way.

I present the end result, proudly entitled "Spreading the Black Plague":

I also found an awesome map mode - this shows the whole area covered by me and my subjects:

(such nice, big letters :p)

I made quite a few big mistakes along the way. One of them was not getting a coast myself until very late. This, coupled with my piss poor provinces in Central India, meant that my income was very low and I couldn't afford more than 1/1/1 advisors until 1650 or so. An alliance web between Jaunpur, Bengal, Bahmanis (which somehow managed to out-tech me in military tech!), Sind, Afghanistan, coupled with an early Ottoman Defender of the Faith (~1630), meant that I didn't blob as much as I liked.

To top everything off Russia "infiltrated" China and allied Prussia. Yes, AI Brandenburg formed Prussia. Still, not usually a problem, but in this game this happened:

Yes, Prussia sitting on top of 400+ base tax and a great trade node. They had the largest army in the world at some point.
Definitely the scariest thing I've seen since Austria uniting the HRE in 1550 in my Wallachia game a long time ago.

After a huge war against Russia + Prussia (ouch!), my Ottoman ally got turned to this:

After noticing I wouldn't have time to pretty up the borders and get the Silk Road achievement I started fooling around and made a "Malaysia" client-state:

And this is the end game screenie:

Mistakes were made... yet my tech was decent (considering I didn't Westernize, didn't become anyone's protectorate, had Western Arms Trade only for ~20 years in 1700s, had 3/3/3 advisors only for about 20 years or so, and couldn't get Power Projection from anywhere ...).

thanks, took a lot of planning to get them too look nice. shame the Russian and Austrian borders are messed up.

currently in a knights to Jerusalem game, but I think Venice has ruined it :( soooo close.

iFxfuUk.jpg

Edit:-> okay third or fourth attempt :) This was really tense towards the end, but finally the Kingdom of Jerusalem is restored. Wonder how long it will be before the Ottomans ROFL stomp me.

qhfo5PN.jpg

Last edited:
can you link up the mod?
No mod. Just select "Player map mode". It's the one with the pawns as a symbol.
I think in 1.8 they changed it to show everything owned (your country + subjects) in your country color.

For the player name, edit: C:\Users\ [your-username-here] \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\settings.txt

lastplayer="[your-EU4-name-here]"

ZikMf56.png
My humble Byzantine game took a turn to the unexpected. Castile inherited England and has Portugal as a vassal. Austria was the predominant European Power(Owning half of France) Until the Dutch rebellion. Brandenburg had an explosive start but has stagnated after winning the league war and becoming emperor.

Game preference? Personally I'd try "world police Genoa". Abandon your hometown completely, settle only in the former Crimea. Tech up, stay small, get military ideas. Then go punish all the imperialist aggressors!

Care to elaborate? Or anyone else? I don't want to sit around for 100s of years and not take over stuff. BTW, I just took over some important lands, I will update the with picture later, but my Steelers are playing now. :D

Care to elaborate? Or anyone else? I don't want to sit around for 100s of years and not take over stuff. BTW, I just took over some important lands, I will update the with picture later, but my Steelers are playing now. :D
Some more details:
1. Expand near the Crimean region, expanding back home generates too much AE.
2. Military focus, keep up on military tech. Get tons of military ideas: Offensive, Quantity, Defensive, Quality.
3. Reach DIP 22 and get the Imperialism CB.
4. Look around for big bad guys and punish them using the Imperialism CB.
5. But in your case it's actually anti-imperialism since you want to release as many nations as possible.
6. The bigger they are, the harder they should fall.

Well the last patch ruined my Hanseatic Empire, I just went for a full ninja rush on all the CoT provinces and made a 18 merchant long trading route.

Z5KBSkS.jpg

Jrj1iGM.jpg

And this is what made me so filthy rich, just colonise 4 provinces and don't let the CN spawn!

sau3AqY.jpg

Well the last patch ruined my Hanseatic Empire, I just went for a full ninja rush on all the CoT provinces and made a 18 merchant long trading route.

Z5KBSkS.jpg

Jrj1iGM.jpg

And this is what made me so filthy rich, just colonise 4 provinces and don't let the CN spawn!

sau3AqY.jpg

Holy sh*t!

Awesome man!!!

Game = Won

Poland -> Commonwealth -> Prussia -> Germany -> (gonna shift to Russia soon).
Vassals: Sweden, Crimea, Bavaria, Novgorod
End game aim: to create a European map that looks like post-WW2-Axis-Victory

n4a8i9g.png

Game = Won

n4a8i9g.png

ive never understood the point of switching to random other formables

Game = Won

Nice!

Playing well-known formables with unique/rare gonvernment forms while still performing well above average is what separates real men from the rest of the rabble.