• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's not even company, Reformed as it was is still really good for the simple reason that y'know, you can actually convert stuff. Though it was redundant simply because Protestant existed. Still if you 'had' to take one, old reformed wins easily over any of the non catholic, non muslim ones.

Even with religious some conversions are close to impossible, even with cathedrals. You have to do stupid crap like releasing Najd as a vassal and getting them to convert what you need converted or something. There's just far too little missionary strength.

Non-WoN, not non-1.6. He means current Reformed without the DLC.

Having company down in the pit doesn't mean that the pit is comfortable or cozy, does it now.

Company? Lolno.

Non-WoN reformed >> Confucian and Buddhist. It's not even close. Three times the conversion strength (more vs Confucian) from decisions, more missionaries, and even a tangible benefit beyond heretic tolerance even if it's not an amazing one (advisors can be useful, especially when you play said crap religions and NEED an inquisitor to make decent progress). Reformed can trivially hold full unity and convert anything it needs. Religions like Hindu and Confucian are utter junk in terms of conversions, and Confucian doesn't even give you anything significant (at least Hindu has a 6% tech cost reduction decision and the new deity system).

Company? Lolno.

Non-WoN reformed >> Confucian and Buddhist. It's not even close. Three times the conversion strength (more vs Confucian) from decisions, more missionaries, and even a tangible benefit beyond heretic tolerance even if it's not an amazing one (advisors can be useful, especially when you play said crap religions and NEED an inquisitor to make decent progress). Reformed can trivially hold full unity and convert anything it needs. Religions like Hindu and Confucian are utter junk in terms of conversions, and Confucian doesn't even give you anything significant (at least Hindu has a 6% tech cost reduction decision and the new deity system).

Yeah, right. Reformed DOES still have Christian decisions for missionary strength. My bad.

Yeah, right. Reformed DOES still have Christian decisions for missionary strength. My bad.

Yeah keep that in mind. Christianity and Islam get many conversion bonuses like that. Hinduism is finally worth it with the deities. I'm sure Buddhism one day will get something similar, like choose which school of Buddhism to follow. That would make SE Asia much more enjoyable.

But anyways, back on topic. Nice Germany! My most recent Pommerania/Prussia/Germany game, I got a PU with Denmark and Russia, which I had to fight all of Europe for. Now I wanna go try the Palatinate!

Non-WoN, not non-1.6. He means current Reformed without the DLC.

As pointed out, I was aware of that ;). Minorly off topic again though, Hinduism IMO is still not worth it and still quite poor. The bonuses themselves are fine but the lack of conversion strength is an absolute pain.

Still on topic again, anyone want to recommend something for my next play through. I'm saving Inca for 1.7.

Japan (100% catholic, westernized) 1.5
Xi vassal.

2014-06-27_00001.jpg

And Japan converting OP!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAAIIA/RTaip346D6U/s1152/CONVERTME.jpg

Small 18,5% :)

Lol, anti-Christian edict giving a bonus for conversion to Christianity. :D

As pointed out, I was aware of that ;). Minorly off topic again though, Hinduism IMO is still not worth it and still quite poor. The bonuses themselves are fine but the lack of conversion strength is an absolute pain.

Still on topic again, anyone want to recommend something for my next play through. I'm saving Inca for 1.7.

Haasa.

Haven't you built any buildings in the last 100 years or how do you get so much money? What are your merchants doing? Steering or collecting? Somehow i never have those amounts of money with similar sized countries.

Buildings;

Prussia Proper (starting turf) is decked out pretty good building wise... Most of the land even has factories.
Central germany has upto workshops (i build those everywhere!) and the tier 3 and 4 tax buildings... Mainly because the AI doesnt build anything. Trade buildings are tier 2 in Prussia/Saxony. Tier 4 in antwerp, and near nothing anywhere else.
After saving up for the canal... that completed, then shortly after I ran into the old "too many monponies" (999) And did numerous buildsprees within the past 50 years... I mean 1000 point build sprees. which was easily 20k each time.

I just recently overstuffed my navy. I was making about 200 per month until I made a bunch of boats and another army.

Buildings are why I have so much money.

Trade;

I'm collecting in Ivory coast and Bengal (as well as antwerp and venice*) Neither of the trade companie zones nets me much, about 20 ducats each per month. Antwerp is the rest. Venice has no navy, and a merchant, for the sole benefit to kill my trade power there, so Venice (the nation) can up my production in tirol.

In the past 70 years I've easily spent 100k.

However, that Prussia game I played Twice.

Just prior to picking my 3rd idea set I made a seperate savegame, then picked exploration (the first time.)

Then I started colonizing NA, and as soon as a CN formed, I tag switched.

Prussia continued colonizing for me for only 3 or 4 provinces, then they disappeared... (I found out later he took the cape) So I broke it off with them asap. But here's a look at how things went on that run.

63wC6hJ.png

Fo9RkqZ.png

That's Portugal Occupying toothpaste land, not me. (Floride, really?)

AI Prussia didnt expand much, so this is close to what I looked like in the 1500's (minus a couple Polish territories, Saxony/Anhalt and Venice)

CLsYJrW.png

He is however about to revoke the privilage.

And his colonial empire.

g0SNhDI.png

Notes on that game;

As a colonial nation having zero republican tradition, does nothing... So I took advantage of that free stability. Sat at +3 for most of the (boring) game. France beat me to Lousiana (go figure) and was a pita most of the game. Basically the ONLY reason I even have an army.

I did not get to choose my first 3 ideas, so had to suffer with Plutocracy, trade, and expansion. Had absolutely nothing to do with most of those merchants... God Paradox, give us a way to choose our own idea sets. Because it instantly chose those.

Last edited:
Very funny...

I just did Egypt so away from there and a different religion would be nice.

Haasa is Shia, not Sunni like Egypt so you're not technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

1. Dai Die Viet.

Take exploration, religious, espionage, economic, aristocratic, administrative, trade, then whatever.

Spam missionary policies and turn everything possible into Buddhist. Destroy as many religions as possible in favor of the might Buddha. Become a merchant republic to avoid heretic tolerance.

For the low, low and total optimal price of 3 ADM/Month and 1 DIP/month, you can have 3 missionaries with a base conversion strength (decisions, ideas, base, and policies) of 10%, bolstered by stability and the occasional inquisitor up to 13% or more. Ruin everyone with your "not-quite Christian" conversion powerz!

Alternatively, you can stack as much attrition as possible and spam forts up to level 5 and declare on people just for fun.

2. Pick Algiers (better ruler). Take exploration, offensive, expansion, and naval ideas. Spam colonies, colony jack the Iberians as much as possible, and go well over your force limit in ships. Enact the 33% pirate efficiency decision to stack with base 40% and 10% berber to get 83% efficiency and make bank ruining everyone's day. Mess with trade power to justify trade conflicts on people sometimes and just blockade them to make them give up stuff.

3. Pick Tibet. Anything other than DIP rulers is banned. Trade ideas first to become a merchant republic ASAP, then spam re-elections on DIP rulers and culture convert everything you can.

4. Bastar: A fun, relaxing game in India and a nice color.

5. Crimea: Unite the HRE as a Christian horde.

6. Malwa: This time you can do Hindu instead of Sikh, and you might actually convert something too due to your NIs. You probably still want religious + economic for the extra missionary.

7. Knights: Unlike Berbers they get 25% efficiency, which alongside a base of 40% and 33% from the policy gives you 98% efficiency. Knights can into Benin from Hausa, can into Africa, can into piracy.

Haasa is Shia, not Sunni like Egypt so you're not technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

Well yes but the group and area is the same. Also I almost converted to Shia as Egypt by 'demanding' from Haasa that I convert to Shia but decided against it. I've actually played most of that list or very close variants. The Knights being the only one I've barely used. Only played to play as Maltese Colombia. Almost want to do Prussia and try for world conquest, though I hate protectorates and don't view they count even if the game says they do.

So I was playing a game as Norway, getting independence, colonizing America etc, using the Random New World feature. When I reloaded the game it strangely had switched back to the normal New World. Aside from natives being shuffled around in where they spawn, I didn't notice anything else abnormal at the time. My goals were to grab England and the majority of America. I could've expanded more in Austria or maybe France, but after I had achieved my goals I didn't really have the motivation to continue.
0A4C78A9151DEB0ABE2BEE31001224E8EE017D38

What I didn't realise until I had established my first colonial nation is that the bug I mentioned earlier had much larger affects on the world than first seen. For example, I think it buggered up the AI colonizing. It was strangely easy to colonize America and nobody touched Brazil until well into the 1500s. The nations that colonized were quite surprising too (Austria!).

There was also the problem with trade. For some reason, after the new world switched to the Americas we know, the trade nodes were completely messed up. Provinces that should have, say, Mexico, had Peru, Chesapeake Bay or even Australia! There were also no centres where you could place merchants, it was all automatic in how the flow happened. This is also one of the reasons I didn't go all the way to 1820, as once I find out the game was rather broken, it made my accomplishments feel not as great as I once thought.

Trade in the Americas:
46DB7BC0E5497A77B9319F269E99D4D066DD3D84

D5AA7B50787DE6D20D894301EA5FD89C588B934F

Good luck playing tall in that poor area!

Do you have a solid strat for getting cash?

Bosnia is little different to Serbia, aside the fact you don't get unique ideas but it is much easier to join the empire before getting too large, especially since that was changed. I posted a Serbia finish a few pages back. Money's not 'that' problematic and they do have a natural progression at least and can take whatever other opportunities come their way.