• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Steam seems to be down so I'm hosting it somewhere else... :/

okbu5f.jpg

Started for the achievement. Kept playing because I was enjoying it.

Had some interesting wars vs. Castille and Portugal/France PU to kick them out of south Africa.

4DBED9EAADFCB0206206DF72A93CB6F798C97FF7

7353DF2CD0C5E4D2FFC329CDFAC894BBE747DD02

My Switzerland, immediately after annexing vassal Tuscany. Other vassals are Flanders, Hesse, Bavaria and Corsica. This game was started when 1.2 came out, and was around 1700 when 1.3 hit. I don't get a whole lot of time to play, so these things take time ;)

I've basically completed everything I set out to complete, and then some. Upon discovering I couldn't become the HRE emperor as a republic and being unwilling to swap to a monarchy, I instead decided to break it apart. This goal was further enforced by the Reformation, since I had constant events with Austria demanding I fall in line, ensuring perpetual -200 relations. Over the next 100 years they were gradually destroyed, and eventually fell under a PU with Russia (so much for Venus favouring them, eh). The emperor's throne moved around various minors, eventually settling with 2PM Pomerania. I left the HRE at that point and started focusing on the north border instead, converting as many minors as possible to Protestant. I'd say that turned out rather well.

I don't really know what to do next, if anything. I really like the borders between France, Burgandy, Spain and myself, so I haven't expanded further into France despite being quite capable of it. The north borders are fine, though I wouldn't mind removing the last few French provinces there. Naples is the only border I don't really like the look of, but there isn't a good way to deal with that beyond full-on annexing them, and I'm not really interested in going that way. So... I might leave this campaign here, secure in the knowledge that Switzerland is the dominant European power going into the late 17th century.

Other interesting points: Spain is in PU under Portugal, Bohemia was in PU under Scotland but successfully broke free, Iraq is the dominant power in the Middle East and Norway has colonies reaching from Canada to South Africa, the Caribbean to Malaysia. Still soldiering on despite Sweden terrorising Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Ironman Byzantium, started from a test run for the new Albania strategy which worked out quite well. I went for the Med in my 1.1 Byz game, so this time I went east for an "Alexander's Empire" play. I would've had the HRE throne, too, but sadly I lost it to a bug. I did manage to release Bavaria, the last two cores that hadn't expired, and then feed them the alps for defense during coalition wars. Persia and India is insanely rich and weak, I should have played much more aggressively.

qn8mEsF.jpg

Which National Ideas did you take? This is completely awesome!!

Ironman Byzantium, started from a test run for the new Albania strategy which worked out quite well. I went for the Med in my 1.1 Byz game, so this time I went east for an "Alexander's Empire" play. I would've had the HRE throne, too, but sadly I lost it to a bug. I did manage to release Bavaria, the last two cores that hadn't expired, and then feed them the alps for defense during coalition wars. Persia and India is insanely rich and weak, I should have played much more aggressively.

Russia and I, despite being rivals (though somehow never having been at war), can at least agree that the world ought to be religiously ochre.

Whats the border friction like with Russia?

qn8mEsF.jpg

Thats a really really nice byzantium. But I am impressed you managed this at all with a strong neighbouring Russia. When I took crimea /golden horde territory with Byzanz I had Russia in a coaliton against me for nearly a 50-80 years and had to fight them practically every 5-10 years.

How did you do that? did you manage to have them allied for the entire game?

Ironman Venice. Well, used to be Venice, but tag switched to a better country :happy: Anyway, pretty much everyone hates me, and Naples steals half of the Venice trade, though I still manage to make 45 ducats from collecting there. Naples is under a PU of Austria who already ate Poland and a blobbed Cologne, so there's nothing I can do, especially since I have no allies. The only country I can beat up is Ottomans due to a huge mil tech gap, but currently they're allied with France and Spain...

Greek, Lombard and Al-Misr Arabic are accepted cultures.

5b3b.png

Ironman Tuscany using 1.3.

Its a pity I was not early enough to grab some of the New World. Not too sure where I should go from here on out, given that Austria/Spain/Russia hate me, and France, Commonwealth, and Denmark love me.

eu4_44_zpsa4f11fac.png~original

My Vajayjay > Hindustan 1.2 game. Quit in 1797 as I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Baluchistan and the Mughals are my vassals and I would have ample time to integrate them. Persia, Oman and Uzbek would be easy targets, sadly this late in the game they have few states to release as most cores have disappeared. Not used PU's at all, which is sad because I loved them.

hindustan01.jpg

Finished my Tuscany Mare Nostrum game today. Overall, I'm quite happy how it turned out - apart from that stupid PU I randomly got with Lithuania, which completely fucked up my borders (had to integrate them for two Black Sea provinces, would've looked better if I hadn't though).

This was possibly one of my coalition heaviest games so far, there're just to many countries you piss off if you go for a Mare Nostrum. Luckily I discovered very early in the game that mountains are absolutely broken in 1.3 and kept smashing up to 4-1 odds in the Alps (although I also took Quality, Offensive, Defensive and Quantity, as well as Innovative, which definitely helped).

Anyway, if you like to swim in MPs I can really recommend Tuscany. I was constantly sitting at 400 MP tech-ups, which allowed me to build a lot while not falling behind in tech.

Enlightment of the day: Innovative is amazing. I was constantly sitting at 90-100 army tradition and -10% tech (-5 from ideas, -5 from Innovative events) while never ever experiencing any war exhaustion whatsoever (highest after taking innovative was 2.xx and only because Call for Peace started ramping up a lot).

Pictures:

B300CE9A74048B916A48346971EF9D3DD46D0EA0

EF2E958E0E3E09512DD4C30CDC9332C2BF24B444

Timurids to Mughals, not ironman because I wanted random lucky nations on. Turns out it just went to the normal suspects anyway, which sucked (random lucky nations with Ottomons, Muscowy, Austria, France, England, Poland, Sweden and Castille all getting it? Come on...). I've been trying to westernize for a little while now but Britain keeps warring my OPM neighbors and not taking them... and my leaders have been so ridiculously good the entire time I've been playing that I'm out-teching everyone. Never would have thought a Muslim tech group nation could keep up with the rest of the world before this campaign.
2013-11-05_00003.jpg

Well here is my current games.... and a fun screenshot of a battle in Meiou :)
0RJ03Vb.png

Formed via Dorimi's mod :) planning on going into India due to a coalition problem in Europe.
nice

Ironman Tuscany using 1.3.

Its a pity I was not early enough to grab some of the New World. Not too sure where I should go from here on out, given that Austria/Spain/Russia hate me, and France, Commonwealth, and Denmark love me.

*snip pic*

Actually, the New World doesn't benefit anyone who has their captial in the Med. Okay, it benefits them some, but you're much better off going east. Take provinces in Alexandria and use that to colonise directly towards Asia.

My Manchu > Qing game

PHbS06V.jpg

Problem, Moscow ?*

I reformed the governement and westernized way too late, but in the end i was not bugged much by the westerners. I did wage a 16 year war to take back some Portuguese trade posts in asia, and got involved in a war between sweden and russia at the very end, but other than that, it was uneventful.

I originally wanted to go as far as Genghis Khan, but time was too short before russians were here. I'm lucky they didn't attack me to extend their frontier.

Also got into a pu with a lucky Ayuttayah who just PU-annexed a big Shan. so in the end i had a huge chunk of asia free of (ADM) charges.
BUT china is a pain to eat up, even with all the claims and the core cost reductions you have with Manchus.
And i wanted to see how big i should be so that Korea accept to be vassal, well they finally accepted in 1812 as i reached my maximal size (after i absorbed ayuttayah). Even if i was thousand times richer and had much much more military power than them i just couldn't do anything but watch the "trust" count slowly ticking up and the difference in base tax one slowly ticking down.

(*poor russians got trolled by everyone. They didn't manage to snatch smolensk from Lithuania, Ryazan went to the Ottoman who was in a PU with Crimea, and i blocked their colonization with my carefully placed colonists. In the end they had no choice left than to prey on timurids and go south towards india.)

Man, you got lucky... In my Manchu game... Russia ate everyone. Even though I stopped their eastward expansion, they decided to just eat crimea and lithuania instead... Then come attack me while I was in the middle of annexing India T_T Equal forces + 6 military tech behind = certain doom for Qing.

Whew, I was looking for a fun HRE OPM to take and boy did I find it.

I chose Augsburg for this particular blobification game.

Settings:

I hated Augsburgs' default flag so I buffed it =P
Other than that, lucky nations random, normal difficulty

Sandwiched between Great power Austria and Regional power Bavaria, Augsburg is in a pretty precarious place. We start with Divine ideas, which aren't too shabby. Picked Diplomatic for my first idea set, and then Defensive (with it's 1% + attrition and my NI's, it'd be 2%, along with 35% total core reduction cost after diplo + NI)

Usual alliance + vassal storm. Grew slowly at first, and then I saw an oppertunity which I had to take. Both my allies (Bohemia + France) would join me against Austria, in a conquest war! Woot woot.

At first I didn't think we'd win, especially with the odds...

Me + France, Bohemia, + My vassals (Augsburg, Baden, 2PM Bavaria) + France's remaining unannxed vassals vs. Austria, Castille, Poland (Lithuania in a PU), the Palatinate, Cologne, and a bunch of other minor states.

But we did surprisingly well. Off camera, Castille is cut in half by Aragon, they didn't contribute any forces, anything meaningful.

I got what I wanted, and more. The Palatinate was completely occupied and would let me vasalize them for like 95% warscore or something, so I naturally did outside of the main war. They soon joined my side, +3PM Palatinate to the Augsburgian Vassal storm. In the end...

as4rrXe.png

My vassal Bavaria got it's province back, (Niderbayern, SP?) and I took Tirol and the province just south from Austria along with a bunch of ducats. Released Styria as a vassal for future eating of Austria.

Going exxxxxxxtremely well so far. AUGSBURG STRONK!

mvyMbPP.png

My first attempt at grabbing as much territory as possible in 1.3, the great british empire!

7bq22RO.jpg

vN0uoIf.png

I got the aztecs as my vassal as well, but I wasn't able to integrate them in time. In retrospect, I should've just cored their provinces manually, for glorious all-red americas. I clearly failed pretty miserably at grabbing territory in more respects than just that; I could easily have grabbed huge amounts of china and india, as well as the holy lands, but I kind of ran out of steam a ways through.

Started out the 'usual' way to start britain "seriously" in 1.3; win the HYW, then vassalize portugal and spain, for maximum colonization goodness. But then I hit a snag, when I attacked Burgundy, who had apparently been doing pretty well for themselves... their armies crushed mine completely in all equal engagements, and it took me 42 years to finally win the war. In retrospect, I should've massed above my forcelimit in troops at their border before attacking (or peaced out early), but I was arrogantly convinced that they would pose no challenge at all.

After that massive setback to my goals (42 years doing essentially nothing), I was ready to abandon the game. Didn't help that Henry VI had ruled to 1485 before he finally croaked. But when the Brutal British Conquest of Artois finally ended, the lancaster line ended with it, and stepping up to take the throne was William III von Habsburg, whose title should've been 'the fucking amazing', because his stats were 5/6/6.

I got embroiled in a bunch of other wars in europe, as the HRE didn't take kindly to my aggressions east of france, but after burgundy it seemed nobody was a match for our armies. I guess it helped that I got defensive mentality, for the morale boost, after having learned my lesson against the burgundians. About 100 years of that nonsense passed, during which I vassalized a three electors, but was unable to get myself crowned emperor in time for some newly born bohemian king to grab the mantle and rule for some 60 years, which was enough time for him to eventually form the HRE without me being able to stop him, even if I did grab huge cunks of it.

Then, as I was about to give up out of frustration again, out of nowehre I got involved in a war with austria, hungary, and huge chunks of the rest of europe. I was confused, since I didn't even get any kind of notification that I was in a war, and as I looked at the war-goal it said "take moskva". Eh? Turns out, Russia had defaulted to a PU under me (presumably because I had more prestige than austria?), and I was now involved in a war over its throne! Well, it was a short-lived war with the massive russian army helping me out, and in time I would be able to PU austria as well.

Integrating russia was pretty obnoxious, thanks to their various negative modifiers such as heretical religion, but I managed to do it thanks to one of those random +60 relations events.

In the end, I'm fairly satisfied with my empire. 0% overextension, no revolt risk, and 86% catholic. Could've done a lot better if I was more aggressive, but for 90% of the game I was focused entirely on europe, and by the time I was satisfied that it was under my control it was too late to grab large parts of lands elsewhere anyway. I did grab some of india, but eh.