• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wanted to see how far I could push Kilwa building a trade empire, managed an economic hegemony and no.1 trade income

Allies: Ottomans, Adal

1705587518722.png

1705587708775.png

1705587761107.png

First time i've ever seen Lotharinga form

1705587802343.png

• 5Like
Reactions:
I took my Zoroaustrian game and finished it, turning it into a WC - and also made the whole world Zoroastrian too!

20240118205822_1.jpg

20240118205830_1.jpg
20240118210127_1.jpg

• 12Like
Reactions:
Zrzut ekranu (7).png

I started as Trebizond, and managed to regain Constantinople from the Palaiologoi usurpers while they were being sieged by the Ottomans. After that, I made alliance with the Austro-Hungarian monarchs, which paved the way of the Byzantine Komnenoi reconquest. Almost three centuries later and with the destruction of the Turkish menace, fall of the Egyptian Caliphate, betrayal at the hands of the Holy Roman Emperor and subsequent dissolution of the HRE, I stand tall as the resurgent Roman Empire. My subjects include the Papal States, Wallachia, Crimea and the Exarchate of Africa. I'm allied to the Bourbon France and Solomonid Abyssinians.

However, things are not as great as they would seem. My economy is in shambles, as I lose 300 ducats per month. I'm at war with the coalition of the Spanish, Italian and Austrian Empires. I lost several important battles and my armies were forced out of my Italian possessions, while Exarchate of Africa was overrun by the enemy. I hope to force Austrians into the negotiation table and give my Frankish ally some breathing room, while also ensuring Ethiopian entry into the war in exchange for paying off all of their enormous debts.

No one knows what the future holds. Are we witnessing the final downfall of Rome? Or is basileus Alexios VI Komnenos wise enough to ensure survival of his resurgent Empire?

Suggestions on what to do next are most welcome.

• 7Like
Reactions:
View attachment 1075190

I started as Trebizond, and managed to regain Constantinople from the Palaiologoi usurpers while they were being sieged by the Ottomans. After that, I made alliance with the Austro-Hungarian monarchs, which paved the way of the Byzantine Komnenoi reconquest. Almost three centuries later and with the destruction of the Turkish menace, fall of the Egyptian Caliphate, betrayal at the hands of the Holy Roman Emperor and subsequent dissolution of the HRE, I stand tall as the resurgent Roman Empire. My subjects include the Papal States, Wallachia, Crimea and the Exarchate of Africa. I'm allied to the Bourbon France and Solomonid Abyssinians.

However, things are not as great as they would seem. My economy is in shambles, as I lose 300 ducats per month. I'm at war with the coalition of the Spanish, Italian and Austrian Empires. I lost several important battles and my armies were forced out of my Italian possessions, while Exarchate of Africa was overrun by the enemy. I hope to force Austrians into the negotiation table and give my Frankish ally some breathing room, while also ensuring Ethiopian entry into the war in exchange for paying off all of their enormous debts.

No one knows what the future holds. Are we witnessing the final downfall of Rome? Or is basileus Alexios VI Komnenos wise enough to ensure survival of his resurgent Empire?

Suggestions on what to do next are most welcome.
You have A LOT of room for improvement tradewise. Remove the merchant from Genoa, he's actively hurting you. Any merchant collecting in a node that is not your home node reduces your trade efficiency. And that 2.4 ducats in Genoa is not worth it. Instead, place that merchant in Syria or Constantinople. You should probably TC Egypt. It would give you one extra merchant, to pull from Persia.

Coalition wars are superiority wars. You can defeat them while having lots of occupied territory. Upgrade the fort in Alexandria, the one in Southern Egypt, and possibly the one in Cairo, and delete all of the other forts in Anatolia, Middle East, Egypt. Play smart. Attack their stacks while they are sieging some defensible fort. The fort in Sicily is especially good in this regard, as you can easily block the retreat with your ships, and get easy stackwipes (and thus, a lot of easy warscore). In coalitions, you cannot separate peace anyone, so you are screwed regarding your hopes of peacing out Austria first. However, you should try to full occupy them asap, both for the warscore and to help France. Don't lose manpower. You don't need to siege anyone, you just need to keep yourself unsieged. Don't try to get anything from this war, except for a white peace.

After the war, you MUST conquer Timmies. As soon as you dominate the Persian trade, all of your economic problems will be fixed. I'm guessing that you also are way over your force limit, possibly both on land and on sea; and you have a ton of debts. Make sure to go back to your force limit. The penalties for exceeding it are brutal. If I were you, I would try to ally that nice Russia, and depending on the actual amount of debt you have, declare bankruptcy. As long as you don't disband your whole army, have strong allies. are truce locked with your strongest enemies, and you have a good diplomatic reputation/improved relations with anyone important around you, you should be fine.

Good luck.

• 2Like
Reactions:
eu4_270.png
eu4_269.png

My best HRE run so far.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I've formed Rome with Austria so I thought I would do the HRE construction, it's helpful when your vassal swarm has 2 million soldiers :eek:

Allies: Spain, Portugal, Lithuania, Novgorod, Persia

1705752083722.png

Love seeing big names, Bahmanis is the biggest i've ever seen it they formed Hindustan right at the end they even had Deccani Mexico until it was eaten by USA

1705752215769.png

1705752475526.png

1705752356331.png

1705752404759.png

I think this is the largest income i've amassed before

1705752442444.png

• 6Like
Reactions:
Purple Map Painting in this campaign was one of the more enjoyable runs I've had for a while.

Gothic Invasion achievement:

eu4_77.png

I am the HRE Emperor, but I never revoked although all the purple nations in that screenshot are my vassals. I never abandoned my starting province either, although I did move my capital to Groningen in order to join the HRE.

My strategy was to no CB East Frisia who had just the one ally in Frisia. I vassalised East Frisia and seized Groningen from Frisia in the peace deal. Could have taken out Frisia or vassalised them but would have been hated by too many HRE nations. East Frisia joined the HRE during the war so I couldn't have made it my capital unfortunately. During the war, I made sure to get a royal marriage with Burgundy before the AE came into play and they disliked me too much.

Once I'd cored Groningen, I removed it from the HRE and moved my capital there. The hard part of the opening was converting to Catholic, but I eventually managed it in 1465 by spawning Catholic Zealots in Groningen. It just takes time to change religion via rebels.

I wasn't able to get a high enough opinion with Austria to be able to join the HRE, but by 1467 I'd secured the votes of 4 electors and conveniently in 1468 the Austrian ruler died and I was elected HRE emperor. I was then able to join the HRE. 10 years later I got Burgundy as a PU via the Succession event chain and a few years after that I got the horse event. France decided not to contest the Burgundy PU because I was too powerful by this stage.

As I commenced an advance across Europe I quickly made a decision to keep as many purple countries around to occupy the non-German culture provinces that would remain once I got the achievement. I am very pleased with the way it worked out.

Honourable mentions to the following nations which were my subjects at some point but I ultimately annexed them mostly for being 'not purple enough':
  • Nevers (too pink)
  • Tafilalt (too red)
  • Candar (too red)
  • Bulgaria (too grey)
  • Byzantium (too red)
  • Aq Quyunlu (too blue)
  • Trent (I did think they were purple enough, but their existence meant that some of the Alps wilderness areas weren't getting coloured purple so they had to go)
  • Milan (too red)
  • Ragusa (too red)
  • Lusatia (too blue)
  • Orleans (too pink)
I also considered releasing Wales, Leon, Alencon and Kiev but deemed them to be too grey, too red, too pink and too blue respectively.

RIP the following purple nations who unfortunately had to die because they occupied German culture provinces:
  • Goslar
  • Nassau
  • Luneberg
I had wanted Ajam to stick around but they formed Persia and could never go back to being Ajam.

I really, really wanted Livonian Order to form Livonia, but despite all but two of their provinces being Protestant at one point, they never converted to be able to take the decision to form Livonia.

Am really keen to have a go at the All Blue achievement now.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
You have A LOT of room for improvement tradewise. Remove the merchant from Genoa, he's actively hurting you. Any merchant collecting in a node that is not your home node reduces your trade efficiency. And that 2.4 ducats in Genoa is not worth it. Instead, place that merchant in Syria or Constantinople. You should probably TC Egypt. It would give you one extra merchant, to pull from Persia.

Coalition wars are superiority wars. You can defeat them while having lots of occupied territory. Upgrade the fort in Alexandria, the one in Southern Egypt, and possibly the one in Cairo, and delete all of the other forts in Anatolia, Middle East, Egypt. Play smart. Attack their stacks while they are sieging some defensible fort. The fort in Sicily is especially good in this regard, as you can easily block the retreat with your ships, and get easy stackwipes (and thus, a lot of easy warscore). In coalitions, you cannot separate peace anyone, so you are screwed regarding your hopes of peacing out Austria first. However, you should try to full occupy them asap, both for the warscore and to help France. Don't lose manpower. You don't need to siege anyone, you just need to keep yourself unsieged. Don't try to get anything from this war, except for a white peace.

After the war, you MUST conquer Timmies. As soon as you dominate the Persian trade, all of your economic problems will be fixed. I'm guessing that you also are way over your force limit, possibly both on land and on sea; and you have a ton of debts. Make sure to go back to your force limit. The penalties for exceeding it are brutal. If I were you, I would try to ally that nice Russia, and depending on the actual amount of debt you have, declare bankruptcy. As long as you don't disband your whole army, have strong allies. are truce locked with your strongest enemies, and you have a good diplomatic reputation/improved relations with anyone important around you, you should be fine.

Good luck.
Zrzut ekranu (1).png

Thank you for your reply. Here's the update of Trebizond's story, as four decades have passed. Our mighty themata armies managed to secure some crucial victories over the combined forces of Spain, Austria and Tuscany, which allowed us to sign a long sought after white peace. After securing peace, we abandoned several of our eastern forts, as well as recalled our merchant envoys from Genoa. Basileus Alexios VI implemented reforms which curbed down the massive inflation and gave us temporary economic respite.

Nonetheless, peace was not meant to last long - soon we found ourselves in a counter-revolutionary war against Spain. Austria once again joined Spain in war against us. It was said that Archangel Michael himself was on the battlefield, leading us to the decisive victory and complete destruction of Spanish Armada. This time, we forced harsh terms on our enemies, including restoration of monarchic order in Spain, as well as liberation of Croatia, Sardinia and Corsica.

Our long-term ally, France, was not as lucky. In the midst of war, French king died childless, thus ending the Bourbon dynasty. Cunning Dutch Republic smelled blood, and immediately invaded. Our divine emperor, Alexios VI, made the decision to press his claim to the French throne, immediately ordering naval invasion of southern France. Since Frankish kingdom was already heavily depopulated from the numerous wars, Byzantine Themata cleaved through the countryside like knife through butter. We reached Paris before the Dutch, and Alexios VI was coronated in Notre Dame by catholic Pope as Emperor of France. Since we were depleted from the prolonged war, we quickly sent envoys to the Netherlands, offering them Champagne, Picardy and Lorraine in exchange for peace.

Basileus Alexios VI died soon after, leaving Empire to his son, Manuel IV, who ruled together with talented Romanian consort, Flavia. Manuel IV made the decision to reintegrate Papal States directly with the Empire, forcing Vatican's clergy conversion to Eastern Orthodoxy. Just like that, Pentarchy was restored. However, it was Basilissa Flavia, not Manuel IV, who led our armies to victory in the long and tedious war against Mughals (former Timurids), resulting in annexation of Basra and subjugation of Mecca and Medina. Manuel IV died after prolonged illness, leaving the Empire to his and Flavia's son, Alexios VII.

Today, as Alexios VII is coming of age, we boldly look into the future, dreaming of establishing new Exarchates in Spain and Northern Italy.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
Alexios VII's first act as ruler should be to send his merchant envoys from Constantinople to Persia, to pull some more money towards his imperial coffers, which he can fill by virtue just by having the City of the World's desire as his capital.

Reactions:
Alexios VII's first act as ruler should be to send his merchant envoys from Constantinople to Persia, to pull some more money towards his imperial coffers, which he can fill by virtue just by having the City of the World's desire as his capital.

You need more merchants (trade ideas) and workshop and manufactory combinations, it will do wonders for your economy.

Alexios VII Komnenos considered carefully the words of his most noble advisors.

"Θα γίνει. Επενδύστε στην τεχνολογία του εμπορίου και στείλτε τους εμπόρους στην Περσία!" - said the Emperor.

He pointed towards the giant map of the known world that servants unfolded in front of them before.

"Τι να κατακτήσουμε μετά, σύμβουλοί μου?"

• 1Like
Reactions:
You don't have much left of the campaign, so there's not enough time to try and restore the Roman Empire, therefore I'd focus on the conquest of Tuscany and the conquest of Austrian lands in Italy to bring it all under your banner and reach your western subject's border. You could also try to take back the French land you gave to the Dutch and avenge their impertinance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As you spoke to the Basileus, doors to the throne room suddenly opened, and a hellenic man wearing gold-plated lamellar armor and ridge helmet decorated with gemstones, along with a small enturage, entered in haste. Varangian guardsmen stopped them at first, but seeing Emperor's welcoming hand gesture, they let the men pass through. It was the megas domestikos Anastasios Palaiologos himself, the commander-in-chief tasked with the military defense of the realm. Next to him was the protostrator, the second in command, Armenian-looking man in less ornate, but more practical military attire. The Armenian general was carrying a long piece of parchment.

"Ποιος είναι ο λόγος αυτής της αναστάτωσης?" - asked Alexios VII Komnenos, wrinkles forming on his young face.

Megas domestikos walked to the Roman Emperor, falling on a knee in front of him. He spoke loudly: "Βάρβαροι έρχονται, Βασιλεύς βασιλεων! Σχημάτισαν δεύτερο συνασπισμό εναντίον μας, με αρχηγό τον Αυστριακό αυτοκράτορα Γεώργιος. Έχουμε μια δήλωση πολέμου υπογεγραμμένη από τον Αυτοκράτορα της Αυστρίας, τον Τσάρο της Ρωσίας και τον Βασιλιά της Πολωνίας. Η σύμμαχός μας, η Αιθιοπία, μας εγκατέλειψε. Είμαστε πολύ περισσότεροι, οι άνθρωποι μας τρέμουν από φόβο."

Basileus took a few steps back, almost falling over from the realization, that the Empire secured by his grandfather could collapse during his reign. He leaned on the shoulder of his counsellor from a far, the one with a strange, foreign name, Bokor The Dust.

"Τι πρέπει να κάνουμε?" - he asked with a trembling voice.

That is awkward, what are the exact numbers and quality of the opposing forces? First and foremost I'd set the subjects to attach to you, and fight by taking defensive engagements within my and possibly France's borders. Since warscore in coalition wars is heavily dependent on battles, controlling your subjects is vital so that they don't feed warscore to the enemy by taking losing fights, and you yourself choose only battles which you can win on favorable terrain.

Abandon Crimea and your possessions there, the same goes for Wallachia, since they don't have favorable terrain. The enemy occupying them won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, and if you max out warscore from defensive engagements and get the ticking warscore going in your favor, eventually you'll be able to extract a white peace or even war reparations without sieging anything yourself.

You have 3 main fronts, the Caucasus, the Balkans and France, and a minor front in Italy (I suspect they'll gain access through Tuscany to reach you there. Depending on their numbers and how they focus each theater you might have to abandon Italy too, but you can fight defensively on the other 3 fronts and should be able to keep them out indefinitely.

Given that by the look of things two Great Powers ganged up on you and you are the only GP on your side, one of their rivals might actually use the GP intervention mechanic to join the war on your side, evening the numbers a little, but that's dependent on who the others are and their disposition towards both you and your enemies. If you have rivalled them or generally pissed them off with too much AE (which I believe came from you forcing the union on France), there might not be any supportive of your side. But you can drag out and win without them.

Or if you don't want the hassle of fighting the war at all, an easy out I suspect would be to offer them to abandon the French PU as a concession, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't go for that, or that and some minor other concessions. It would have the added benefit of not having to fight a deathwar, burning quite a lot of your accumulated AE, but on the flip side you'll lose a powerful subject who in the long run might turn into another opponent. The decisions are yours, Basileus.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The new requirements for forming the Roman Empire make it harder then it used to be which already used to be hard to pull off didn't manage to get there. Still haven't been able to form Rome with an Italian state yet would have eventually got there if I played through the grind but with the enormous fleet Britain had it would have been a huge grind, started with Florence. So far i've tried with Naples, Florence, Milan and Saluzzo but have yet to get more then 80% of the way there.

Allies: Castille, Portugal, Russia, Poland, Austria

1705992580147.png

1705992858878.png

1705992922333.png

1705993017488.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
Spaghetti Western achievement:

eu4_78.png

This is what I used to own in Italy. Two provinces were uncored (I was saving Admin mana for tech 10) and these became Texan while the rest of my provinces are now an independent Bologna.

eu4_79.png

At the end I was allied to Castile (+Aragon and Naples), Austria and France. Had to leave the HRE to move my capital to America, but was otherwise a fully fledged member of the HRE.

Austria is currently getting dismantled because their Bavarian ally is getting stomped by a coalition.

Burgundy is currently the Emperor of the HRE.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Just your average "Georgia"-game. The things I do for Achievements...

eu4_2.png

eu4_3.png

eu4_4.png