• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh wauw what strategy? Please tell me..

Start over until Austria doesn't rival you and see if you can get a royal marriage. You need to inherit Austria as a union partner. You can't ally them because you're a historical rival, but you can get a rm/union just fine. Ally the electors and pick up the emperor title as fast as possible. In the meantime, take your cores back and grab some land no matter where. I got lucky because Hungary "attacked me" after I inherited Austria. Took some lands from them and got access to the balkans from there. Ally Scotland and put all your troops in their lands after you got access once you are ready to attack England a second time. Take their northern lands and the province in Ireland. Take Ireland from there and break the alliance with Scotland once you have lands on the British Isles. I also inherited both parts of Burgundy. Apart from that, you just need speed and some luck.

with the reduced coring costs for territories you no longer have to move into Scandinavia or avoid high development provinces. All you have to worry about it coalitions. Just go over the diplomatic relations limit. At one time I had 9 vassals/union partners/allies just to prevent coalitions from firing.

Start over until Austria doesn't rival you and see if you can get a royal marriage. You need to inherit Austria as a union partner. You can't ally them because you're a historical rival, but you can get a rm/union just fine. Ally the electors and pick up the emperor title as fast as possible. In the meantime, take your cores back and grab some land no matter where. I got lucky because Hungary "attacked me" after I inherited Austria. Took some lands from them and got access to the balkans from there. Ally Scotland and put all your troops in their lands after you got access once you are ready to attack England a second time. Take their northern lands and the province in Ireland. Take Ireland from there and break the alliance with Scotland once you have lands on the British Isles. I also inherited both parts of Burgundy. Apart from that, you just need speed and some luck.

with the reduced coring costs for territories you no longer have to move into Scandinavia or avoid high development provinces. All you have to worry about it coalitions. Just go over the diplomatic relations limit. At one time I had 9 vassals/union partners/allies just to prevent coalitions from firing.
Ah really going for Austrian union...I thought better of the paradox community

Didn't know it was against the rules.

Playing smart is against the rules...

You must play the MANLY way

No Loans, No Inflation, Max Stability, No Alliance, No Truce Breaking, No War without Cassus-Beli, No Mercenaries, No Bordergore and Culture Convert everything to Primary Culture

Though, I hardly ever follow the No Alliance rule...

I actually did that. Got 1 loan in the entire game. Right now I'm continuing on for Mare Nostrum and Better than Napoleon. I didn't screw myself over by rushing BBB.No truce breaking, no coalition fired against me, no mercs (very low on money the entire game. Borders are a bit gory though and obviously not going to culture convert. I might do for the dutch region soon maybe?

FBB957B453639D17D52AF4F42FE47ACD50DE7585

Teutonic Order → Prussia → Germany

Norway and Polotsk are my marches. Not the most impressive empire in this thread, but I'm proud of it. I've got pretty clean borders, but there's still a lot of time left, so I guess I should continue pushing south and south-east. France is my ally and they have my dynasty on their throne, so I'm not going to expand that way, and keep my fingers crossed for a union. I'm stronger than they are and will easily be able to win a war for their throne if the time comes. I guess I could attack Russia, but I want to keep them on my side and use them to help fight the Ottomans.
1ilefFW.jpg

Reactions:
Byzantine-Habsburg-Holy Roman Empire

phEXJac.jpg

Just finished my first Byzantium run doing it + Mare Nostrum. I had a really messy start, my Ottoman wars were never as good as they should have been took far longer to get the good Turk land back than it should have - Poland and Hungrary helped win the first two wars but in both cases I had to peace out early and take pitiful amounts of land as opposed to snowballing fast - I ended up establishing myself as the dominant naval power (after Venice) before I really started giving the Ottomans a beating.

Didn't feel too thrilled about having to backstab Austria and PLC once I'd beaten everyone else up, but they had some coastal provinces I needed.

Ended up with a Habsburg dynasty and head of the HRE, though that was just something I was messing around with between French / Austrian / PLC truces.
http://imgur.com/a/QaByU

Pretty fun run - really nice seeing a boatload of province names change to Roman-esque equivalents (though I've no idea how accurate they are, it's pretty silly regardless, but I love it), though I wish I could have done it quicker and had time to mess around as Rome. I could have played this significantly better in hindsight.

Just finished up my Switzerlake run, this was my second try, first one ending catastrophically early on when Austria invaded. Second one was much smoother, everyone dog piled France, and when they were small enough I vassalized them, made them a march, and fed them some coastal cores. The small teal dots around Italy is not Venice, but my client state Swiss Coast Guard :p

2AC5879B716258CC0EE6FB2D84E965A402A1069A

Diplomatic map:
F504348915DB8275B45FE93865904014A18DB41E

Hungary was a beast in 1621, until I started interfering, and afterwards Russia took a bite out of them.
C9D307053DA510D3FE221B0C7A6A4C002DD81E6B

Last edited:
Here are the ongoing developments during the early 1600s in Eastern Europe and Asia (in my current casual-pace England/GB game):

Russia has gone bankrupt about 7 times now (and Poland / Lithuania couldn't even take advantage).

Hesse & Thuringia stronk.

1627.png

1639.png

1646.png

Dominium Maris Baltici.
It ended up looking more bordergorish than I expected. Entire playthrough was for two Swedish achievements, but certain events made me consider going for two more achievements.
MPC2ZMN.jpg

New World is mine, rest is a visual definition of absolutely-nothing-interesting.
bxxawpy.jpg
All 7 allies have 100 trust with me. I've really grown to hate them over the course of the playthrough, as these bastards kept declaring on each other forcing me to lose trust with one of the sides. I wish I warned them all earlier than I did.
4nc1XBA.jpg
Protestants triumph!
mB9u4DF.jpg
Why can't I hold all these princes.
DICr7Rb.jpg

wcDHIBf.jpg

Better contrast
lEeftSe.jpg
This list most likely doesn't contain some of the flags that can be seen on screenshots. Rest should be accurate. Last patch I managed to make In Heaven Graphics work is 1.15.
hLRbcSa.jpg

Endscreen.
Paradox should really drop the OE number from it and replace it with development. Development for Scandinavia is a humble number of 1371.
5iqMwDs.jpg

The Greyskin I never settled for.
uCUxetO.jpg

nyjTDDs.jpg

Again, would be cool to see development here instead of some irrelevant values. Greyskin development is 6127. Nothing too special either.
That's a great scandinavia flag, is it part of a mod?

actually pretty proud of this one...really fun. The Knights, Syria and Baluchistan are my Marches.
I was allied to the Commonwealth for most of the game, but they decided it was best to make me a rival

eu4_87.png

5 Missionaries really helps
eu4_88.png

Reactions:
ra9K77o.jpg

Finally got Mare Nostrum with Orthomans. It was way later than I think i could have got it, wasted a lot of time taking Aristocratic ideas as 4th group to convert to a republic - seeing if guaranteed never getting the Janissary Decadence disaster was worth the cost, but I don't think it is - 4 stab hit for converting to rep, it's expensive to bring back up because you start at 50 RT, and you have to either pay the Janissaries every new ruler or lose the discipline/manpower recovery bonuses they give you (but not the Infantry Combat ability). On balance I think I would have been better off going Diplomatic or Offensive for the fourth group, although the extra leader and diplomat from Aristocratic were super useful throughout the game.

Qvq6g7k.jpg

Probably my most successful run ever, obviously it was the easiest nation in the game but there is still a little bit of challenge for nubs like me, especially in AE and OE management. Think I should have picked up Humanist earlier, it was insanely useful in taking 150% OE land late game.

Can probably finish off Ming before the game ends and if I truce break I could probably conquer the rest of India.

AfzUMuZ.jpg

What you Byzantophiles and Romanophiles come here for every day I guess. End game was less boring than I thought, the time limit definitely makes things more interesting, although i really underestimated how much land you can grab late game - took the majority of France (stretching a little bit into Iberia but not much) in a single peace deal that was only ~60% WS because Liege was occupying a bunch of provinces in another war. They actually occupied Paris before I could, which meant I couldn't get the Imperialism ticking WS or the chunk from having their capital, but French Revolutionaries sprung up while we were occupying their whole nation, I let them siege paris then killed them and took it for myself. Later, they released a bunch of smaller nations out of France which I could gladly eat up before they got alliances.

zm80zK3.jpg

Might actually try playing as Sunni or Shia Ottomans next time around. I am going to miss that extra missionary from the Pentarchy though, and I'll certainly miss being DotF without having to protect anyone, as well as deus vult targets everywhere and -3 unrest in orthodox provinces. On the plus side, morale, not having to convert Sunni provinces, and Unify Islam for more tolerance.

ALSO a fun little trick I found for expanding in Asia once you are western - take a nation as your protectorate, seize land next to their capital along with any forts they have, core them, cancel the protectorate and declare next month. There's no truce so it's a good way to isolate asian state to annex them easier. taking the forts means that you don't have to siege anything other than capital, and taking the province next to their capital usually means you can stack wipe day 1.

Well,Ukraine is quiet interesting here...Did you improved relations with Ruthenia and\or Chernigov?

Hmm.. not really, no. IIRC I haven't had any 'direct' influence as such in the Ukrainian region. I can't say I've had much contact with Ruthenia or Chernigov at all (possibly some minor relations-boosting when I had diplomats spare but that's about it).

I've been on good terms with Hungary until recently (Austria just went to war with them and I chose not to join Hungary's side - Bohemia was under a Hungarian PU for a bit, but managed to break away), and am a long-term ally of Sweden (they have supported the Teutonic Order in their conflicts with Poland, Lithuania and Muscovy/Russia).

Thuringia PUed and absorbed Brunswick, and now has what remains of Poland under PU.

Ottomans just allied Persia which is a bit scary.

I'll try and post an update if there are any significant progressions.

Celestial empire (well westernized so not really).
0BC569B5A3FF0F0331C80FE7CD03CF952F96E44C

53CD45E610336CDB14BF59C80A7A05593A7CE25E
D52C9B6838DBD926730DE87BB0B3DED06B252E96

I have nothing to do with Venice.
Spain beat the crap out of France before I got involved in Europe.
Netherlands enjoy great successes in my recent games.
5FC7A773EEB3FE662FDCA8E3CC511D2838D074C0
I've planned making Pacific my inner lake, but HoI4 is here.