• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My update on my Commonwealth game. Made a fair few balls ups for achievements purposes and locked myself out of the Sjem achievement....also overfed Lithuania so couldn't integrate them via decision until I gave away 8 of her provinces in a phoney war. But we are where we are.

My overall aim is to have nice borders, as normally for achievments I border gore. Also to have all land as accepted cultures. Tver and that OPM purple chap next to Ryzan are my vassals. France, Hungary and Sweden are allies.

CE993B5363364DB6D9225C07AD48ED5FDCDA6F71

So I did my first game from start to end, Let me introduce to you the Empire of Byzantium.
First of European map:
eu4_36.jpg

World map:
( the bright blue in east africa, and purple in arabia are my pets)
worldmap.jpg

Finished in the year of 1767
eu4_44.jpg

This is my third game and by far the most fun one I'll done.
Started out with ally Wallencia, and funny enough Poland accepted my call for allience before Hungary.
However First war with the Ottomans did not go easy. Poland was fighting against the Teutonic Order, when they attacked and did not step in until two years into the ottoman conquest of Constantinople, but i managed to hold them off and claim almost all the byzantine cores in the first war, and pushed them out of europe with two more wars.
Hungary was from 1444--> 1550. The baddest bitch in Europe, forcing me to claim the balkans before the swallowed them. I slowly pushed first the Ottomans, then the marmeluks out of the old Eastern Roman Empire. With control of the Sinai, before the Colonial Powers reached the indian Ocean, I could reach the Aden and slowly build up to dominate the trade of the indian ocean.

After year 1700 i got bored so i decided to see if i could manage to build the suez channel. At year 1708 i calculated that by using half my income I would afford it on 50 years. I could properly have done it earlier, however it was boring just to save up so i expanded into the western part of India, the philipines, some islands in indonesia, Arabian peninsula and ofc. Siberia :D

Scandinavia started out with the independence war, but Super-Denmark ate 2/3rds of Sweden and finland while norway took the other. But then Norway attacked and forced Denmark to realise Sweden, and was for a century the biggest and went colonising canada and Florida. Newly released Sweden eventually formed scandinavia, left Denmark to Bornholm, and a close to exodus Norway.

Western Europe was in general funny.
An unholy alliance of burgundy/Provance/GB /portugal and Spain hold until year 1700 France to a mere shadow of itself. Portugal was this game big coloniser, with the westafrican coast, Caraibien, Australia, and big cuncks of Meso-America.
Between 1600 and 1700 Spain lead a PU with Burgundy and GB, although it formed the biggest empire ever seen it seriously weakened GB and Spain, in a century they fought 3 independence wars, also resulting in a series of independence wars of former British: Mexico, La plata and Colombia & Spanish Brazil. The endless wars made room for a France re-claming french cores and turned into westerneurope biggest military force.

Acualia was released from Venice as an OPM, and came to dominate Italy until i showed up.

Ming was exploded before i got to see it, and quite funny quing formed and came to dominate northern china/ Korea and Japan.

Bharat was close to unite India until close to 1730ish until i showed up with superior forces and claimed the west, causing Bharat to destabilise and explode anyway.

I tried as much as possible to avoid europe.
From 1450-1530 i was allied to Poland but decided to cancel the alliance due to fear of us becoming a mayor power bloc

Hungary ended up getting a PU over Austria, and dominated central europe 1500-1600
I Supported Austrian Independence and they became my sole 1st power ally, and between 1650 and 1750 we formed the triple alliance of France/Austria/Byzantine.

The last 30-40 years or France and I went military states against each other. I was a little a head in tech but had to much caverlery compared to the western powers but won on superior manpower and discipline.
2nd Imperial war from 1806-1811: Austria, Hungary, Acuelia(Italy) Navarra, the german minors Vs. Byzantine/french alliance.

Sorry for long post. but i really enjoyed this game :Dinto two great wars:
1st Imperial war from 1791-1798: Commonwealth/Austria/acuelia(italy) Coalition Vs. Byzantine/French alliance.
it was the funniest war i ever had . the top 4

Reactions:
First game for a while. For Odin, first come first serve and ideas guy. Pretty tedious final 100 years left myself way too much colonisation to do after sealing off the coast.

gB0TNSo.png

Reactions:
That name placement when you conquer entire new world is so disappointing to see every time someone posts a screenshot of their achievement run.

First game for a while. For Odin, first come first serve and ideas guy. Pretty tedious final 100 years left myself way too much colonisation to do after sealing off the coast.

gB0TNSo.png

I have a hard enough time with For Odin starting in south england (london and a few surrounding areas) that I am seriously looking into starting in Denmark and Sweden areas.

Edit: Forgot to mention. This Empire is pretty freaking great.

That name placement when you conquer entire new world is so disappointing to see every time someone posts a screenshot of their achievement run.
I agree, it should be plastered over the Americas like a great big splotche.

I have a hard enough time with For Odin starting in south england (london and a few surrounding areas) that I am seriously looking into starting in Denmark and Sweden areas.

You need to be somewhere out of the way where you can't be ganked ... Doing it at the same time as First Come First Serve gives you a reasonably strong religion (specially if you go Republic) for running without interference, a (relatively) safe position to grow into a size that can challenge Europe, and something to do while sitting around up through the 1600s-1700s when you would otherwise just colonize while waiting on areas being filled up so you can gank whichever colonial nations there are in the vicinity.

Edit: Forgot to mention. This Empire is pretty freaking great.
For Odin is probably easiest if you don't start in the required area. If you want a Euro start I would put myself in the HRE.

Not exactly an Empire, but i had great fun!

Alt5Q40.jpg

VT9MUhM.jpg

I guess i could have expanded more but wasn't sure about Poland into space achievement, so i played very conservatively.
Master of India was just decided very late, but wasn't the goal, that's why my borders are so weird :p

Last edited:
Not exactly an Empire, but i had great fun!

Alt5Q40.jpg

VT9MUhM.jpg

I guess i could have expanded more but wasn't sure about Poland into space achievement, so i played very conservatively.
Master of India was just decided very late, but wasn't the goal, that's why my borders are so weird :p
What do you mean not an empire? You conquered India! You took over Rumelia! You beat the Ottomans so hard they relocated to Nubia! Surely this is an empire worthy of this thread?

Reactions:
What do you mean not an empire? You conquered India! You took over Rumelia! You beat the Ottomans so hard they relocated to Nubia! Surely this is an empire worthy of this thread?

Bad wording i guess. I mean not an empire worthy of Commonwealth, which by the way i played for the first time.
It is unnatural how strong this country is! If i weren't going for the Poland into space achievement, i feel i could have expanded much more!
It was like rolling over enemies, at least in the East, a bit harder in the west, but still.
One of the most amazing countries i have played, and one of the most enjoyable games!
I will try it again with another focus.

84E1884E35D01925A3500DDD01F52AD1E3602C82

Brandengurg -> Prussia -> Germoney, few years after new tags. Scotland is being integrated. Novgorodian Russia. Austria is Emperor but Netherlands are the only electors because everyone else is either dead or protestant. Netherlands are voting for France. The three of us have an alliance triangle.

Unfortunately the HRE must be dismantled, so this alliance probably won't last too long.

My Portugal run in 1.14. I was planning a peaceful game, trying to get the circumnavigate achievement and maybe some colonization achievement. So quite atypical for me, as it would not involve blobbing.

Of course, as things advanced, my plans changed. I decided I'd get as many achievements as possible and I'm glad to say that I got all the achievements I wanted for this run.

Close-to-end-game screenie:
gaaaKrX.jpg

France was my main ally against all sorts of hostile people (England, Ottomans, Netherlands). France was huge and even got a PU over Spain... which made things awkward. I'll get into details about why a bit later.

Even though the were hostile for a long time, I loved the formation of the Netherlands and their surprising success against long odds (France / Austria). I even tried to not fight them that much to watch them grow.

Anyway, speaking of achievements:
85TcuJ0.jpg

kSEUQZK.jpg

Yes, I did form Spain. I wanted the Spanish achievements and I did not want to play another campaign in the region. The remarkable thing is.... I played a world conquest campaign with Castile -> Spain in 1.7 and I had almost 0 Spanish achievements. I'd call that the remarkable thing in this run :D

Idea groups:
4A4iXPJ.jpg

Holdings in the Americas:
fdONgZK.jpg

Man, colonizing is a ton slower than before 1.8. And that's actually good but it's hard to paint the map unless you go for a ton of colonial wars. Which I didn't really want to do. Not that it would have been hard, my colonies at this point could steamroll most other colonizers without my help. I even had to fight a huge colonial war to knock them down a peg since their combined forces were something like 2x mine, luckily some of them were on my side.

Possessions in Asia:
4A4iXPJ.jpg

I couldn't help myself to not do this horrible thing:
mTSmgLc.jpg

End game screenie:
0vRfwsM.jpg

My Teutonic Order Campaign:
xMAfLbF.png

Lebensraum im Osten accomplished:
SAvv6mn.png

pls dont sue me :,(

Reactions:
Yes, first game where they've expanded so far west for me...
Actually I'm rivalled to them ^^