• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Formed Italy as Mantua. This is probably my best ever game! :)
Most happy with how much I managed to colonize and how much money I got from trade (100+ at its best) and that it was Iron Man mode

eu4_61.png
Started conquering as Mantua. It's funny that I believe when I read about forming Italy after I had done it, no one seemed to suggest Mantua as a possibility.
eu4_82.png
My Italy at it's zenith (not shown: Makassar, Hawaii and Vanuatu)
eu4_89.png
Or maybe this is the zenith. Had an exclave in the Balkans. Also gave lots of Greece to Saxony for fun after I beat the Ottomans (didnt have enough diplomatic power to release Serbia for example as a sovereign state. Also gave Silistria to Sweden lol).
eu4_96.png
It ended in the middle of a devestating war with Austria. I was about to turn the tide however. Prestige is rubbish and everything was a bit wobbly. France annexed most of Spain and Portugal which made them basically impossible to beat. I got my ass whooped in a colonial war which luckily made them not want any of my provinces (even though they desired all of them). Later defeated them in a war though!

So there ya go. My first ever "post your empire"-post. Hope it isn't too nooby lol :)

Were the coalitions bad?

They're almost always bad in the HRE, but in HRE Italy...

Ough.

Achievement run. The Mongol-Ottoman Empire of Great Yuan

7360D07C3BFA3CA40E5A854BF9D43A26C184F405

3A3D94135A0EC9B4787B11ED407DC5A2D5686FB6

diploview, Malwa and Jaunpur are protectorates, you just can't easily see that under the claims.

B77BF06D62D5AC4BCAAA6B9B2CCE1FC4DF963EFF

AI stuff

8DD0C55E1792D98CC58AB686C9BA5D9DA00C017E

Amazing... :blink:

My respect!

Just completed an old Wales game. Played it to the mid of the 17th century in I think 1.4 or .5 and decided to end it. It was actually quite fun, although I was in a 150 year cold war with Scotland. We booth were allied with France and Sweden and neither one of us wanted to pull the trigger. Then France and Sweden got to war with the Holy Roman Empire and that was the Chance. France, already half siged down didn't even answer Scotlands call to arms and Sweden didn't show up so Scotland felt. But it has to be said: They fought a lot better then the English.

xrYwba5.jpg

U876e6Y.jpg

I did a bit of colonizing in North America (I think all the uncolonizable provinces in North Amerika were do to a map overhaul in one of the patches). I also had three colonies on the coastline between Morocco and Mali (who was my Protectorate). Also Flandern and Zeeland as fortresses on the continent (a level 7 Fort + March was able to dwindle down a 22.000 stack of french troops to 3.000 and the last siegetick was still only -84%...).

1nNnHbe.jpg

Also: Asia. I wept seeing this. Mother Russia eating most of China with Castile jumping in on it. Vijayanagar going into S/E Asia and China. Timurids stronk like always these days but still sandwiched between Russia, the Ottoman Empire and (again) Castile. And not much else left.

jlaBVWg.jpg

Edit: And yes, I could have formed GB, but I was to proud having Wales written over the British Isles. Also, it wouldn't got me that much. Just some decisions, missions and (probably) events. The generic Ideas wouldn't have changed.

Heres my contribution to the thread, playing as Denmark and then Scandinavia. This is the result of my first game of EU4 (and Paradox game in general) , so as a result i didnt make many smart moves in the beginning, which is what led to me being in such a gridlock at the end. The Pic itself doesnt change much between that and 1821.

I managed to keep the Swedes from revolting and as a result unification was a piece of cake, but since i didnt understand the HRE mechanic it ended up making them a lifelong enemy for me and halted an expansion south.

eu4_2_zpsd92f964c.png

In the end I dominated north america (England pretty was constantly occupied by rebels and potugal something in louisiana. Every time i looked over it was compeltely sieged out), had a single nation in africa, and swallowed up some of indonesia. NEar the end me and France started fighting against the HRE in a sucession war for the french throne that ended with us both winning. My biggest issue was not having the men to challenge Russia or the HRE on my own. Russia had both BOhemia and Pomerania as their allies and their armies were massive.

Anyway, lessons learned, and next game i know what to watch out for when it comes to the other nations in Europe. Was a fun little learning experience.

Almost 200 years since the beginning of the game, Wilhelm II the Prussian emperor has stepped into the largest military campaign ever seen.

JtofbvY.jpg

This war is vital for me as i'll be able to take Sundgau and Aachen allowing me to form Germany properly. I'm also about to declare war on Bohemia in order to vassalize him and return Moravia. After that, i'm going to expand the German Empire in the far east, probabaly going to try and get the India and Japan achievement if I can.

hwCcC8r.jpg

By far not even near to the greatest Byzantium we've seen on these forums... but I am still pretty proud of it!

Had a really rough start with the non-HRE joining strategy. Managed to ally Austria&Poland, AND catch the Ottomans with their pants down right off the bat. Reclaimed most of Greek provinces and began to plot my inevitable victory and possible WC. Then a few things I didn't actually pay attention to happened.

One, Austria never got a land bridge to my lands and Hungary remained a 'thing' so in future conflicts the Austrians were either unwilling to, or unable to send troops to help me.

Two, Poland never got Lithuania in a PU, making it a pretty weak regional power. I noticed this at a point and allied Hungary to compensate, but the problem with those alliances was that Hungarians hated Austrians, Polish hated the Hungarians and Austria hated everyone... so more often than not the three were always fighting each other. Eventually Russia was formed and I allied them, but that was around 1650 so waaay after around five wars just for europe.

So yeah, I had a pretty sweet start, but right after that everything fell apart. The Ottomans fought a series of wars against the Mamlukes and other Muslims, blobbing like crazy. Whenever I'd attack them, hoping for an easy victory they'd just march through Crimea, crushing the Poles and fighting a brutal war against me in the Balkans. Even though I managed to Vassalize -> Integrate Serbia, Bosnia and Wallachia they still outnumbered me badly... but the bad thing was that they had a series of MIL 6 rulers resulting in them having MIL tech 12 when I had 9-10. There was a period of roughly 100 years when I couldn't actually engage the Turk in open battle. I always had to bait them to the Carpathians- Sofia or Macedonia where they'd get that -2 at least... and even then victories were brutal affairs of attrition. Thank god for Mercenaries is all I'm saying.

Well, eventually Austria, Poland and Hungary settled their issues, but by that time I ruled all of the Balkans and no longer really needed them. In a final push I managed to push the Turks out of Europe (bar Edirne of course) and feed my newfound Russian ally a slice of Crimea that blocked the Turks from marching through. I also actually got free Crimean peninsula with some rebels enforcing demands on a Genoa that had taken the whole peninsula. I'd also fed on all of those Aegean islands. After that it really was pretty smooth sailing. Whenever I'd get into a war with Ottomans I'd call on Russians, blockade the Bosphorus and then wait for the Turks to head off north before setting a few sieges in Anatolia. You can probably figure out the rest. :)
nbq2yw.png

Poland achievements

I tried the Polish achievements.

Took a while to get going, forming the union with Lithuania and then the Commonwealth, I was allied with Austria and Brandenburg for the longest time. Of course at one point I was bordering Austria as they PU'd Hungary and integrated them, so the love affair was over. Russia was my rival from the start and that never changed. They were allied with Ottomans as well as France so attacking either Ottomans or Russia was out of the question for a long time.

The only way I could make a little headway was to form an alliance with France and attack Pomerania (who was allied with Russia), in order to take some land and disallow them access to the Baltics for a long time. Later in the 1700's, I took over some former Crimea provinces, held by Russia, released Crimea as a vassal and integrated them, cutting Russia off on that part as well.

Ottomans got into several wars with the HRE and I had to wait for them to weaken before DOWing them (and thus get France on my side).

I was HRE Emperor for a little while (I had the electors Augsburg, the Patalinate and Alsace as vassals) but when I moved to being a noble republic, I lost the emperorship (no idea why) and was never eligble again so proceeded to integrate them. At the same time France had a mission to integrate Alsace so they broke the alliance. I quickly sold them that province and re-established the alliance, which lasted until the end.

The Netherlands took over Holstein, Saxe Lauenburg and Lüneburg which I had to take back so as to allow free movement of my troops.

Overall not a terribly exiting game, most of which was run at speed 3-5 (speed 5 for the last 40 or so years, to reach the 'Poland can into Space' achievement).

I never westernised, i only ever had the opportunity until the mid 1500's, after that I managed to keep up on tech and my stacks took well care of opposition.

Scandanivia is a vassal but considering i had slight aggressive expansion, I am unable to integrate them by 1821. Russia declared support for their independence so in order to be prepared, I simply placed my troops onto their provinces.

2048x1152.resizedimage

and I don't think I have ever seen this: Scandinavia would not trust Commonwealth to die properly. :blush:

I did manage to get 4 achievements, Winged Hussars, One King to Rule!, Poland can into Space and Traditional Player (More than 90 percent Naval and Army Tradition). I never set out to to the last one and it was a surprise as I completely neglected my navy throughout the game.

Overall not a very exciting game though.

For some reason the screenshot does not show the achievement Poland can into Space.

2048x1152.resizedimage

2048x1152.resizedimage

What's left of the HRE, Austria did push through the last reform:
2048x1152.resizedimage

UN-westernized tech leader :p
2048x1152.resizedimage

My Golden Horde, The Great Khan empire.
2014-10-06_00004.jpg
2014-10-06_00005.jpg
Decided to encourage Cultural unity within the empire.
2014-10-06_00002.jpg
Interesting a strong Burgundy and Brandenburg weakend Austria and the Ottoderps managed to push deep into europe.
2014-10-06_00003.jpg

Here's a quickie of the Mongols, who are far, far easier to play with than in EU3. Started in 149X and finished 'cause I now have to go to work.

Fourteen months later, I do the Mongols justice:

Great Khan achievement 1.7.3, no westernisation, no reform.

Notable difficulties: Massive commonwealth with a French alliance holding russian region land.
Scandinavia under a french PU holding 5 Russian provinces
Ming having Temple faction in a lot of wars.

Last edited:
I think it's possible to break 1700, maybe even 1650, especially with better luck than you had and some disregard for truces. I'm not sure I could get 1650 though, that would be pretty tight. Both Ming and Muscovy are diplomatically isolated enough and have vassals that can be fed such that truce break vassal feeding can drill them down. Ming you can get accepted cultures, for Muscovy you can feed Novgorod + Nizny or some other Russian minor or 2 and annex. I think max speed opens influence ideas and just blows your monarch point load into boosting stab to -2 and breaking truce on people (keep miltech up of course). After that you only need Persia.

If you ally Ottos, you can probably blow through Persia that way too, but it's a vexing way to play.