• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
All right, these are from my first (and only) game thus far, playing as Burgundy and just celebrated passing into the 1600s. Click to enlarge the maps.

I pretty much jumped into the game without reading any dev diaries, the manual or what has changed after EU3, though I did find out about the more important changes such as the new trade system. Yet, I still ran into loads of unexpected trouble. First of all learning to make tradeoffs with your monarch points proved complicated. At first it seemed like they kept streaming in and I would never have to worry about running out of those precious points, so my spending was rather liberal... boy did I regret it later on...

I also didn't realise that you pay exponential penalty for every colony past two colonies, which meant that I've been teetering one loan ahead of bankruptcy for the past 50-70 years or so, but I think I'm getting my economy balanced again.

Anyhow, what has happened in the world thus far:

My situation is rather firm and secured,with no big players threatening my existence or stability. I am leading a personal union with Savoy and Alencon (the little swathe of land between me and Brittany who controls Paris) is a vassal about to be annexed.

France and England pretty much sealed each others fates by prolonging the hundred years war. Both got overrun by rebels and France was constantly hammered by her smaller spawns. I joined in the fun quite late and didn't have much of a role in their downfall - though I was ready and waiting to pick the cherries off the cake.

Cornwall (including Wales) broke free from England and with a little help from me conquered most of what is now controlled by Scotland, until they got steamrolled by the latter.

Castille has been my archrival for most of the game, competing on the colonial frontier and defending my long-time ally, Aragon who was almost wiped off the map by the former until I stepped in and helped them regain their lost territory. Just a couple of years before this map Aragon went to war with Castille and completely annihilated them, as you can see. I joined the war as well and released Grenada (which is now my vassal), but Aragon and Portugal did all the hard work.

Elsewhere Tuscany has managed to form Italy. Austria was a leading megapower and almost ran me over at a point before my allies actually saved the day (Aragon, Portugal and Savoy), but then they got constantly hammered by their neighbours and lost the Empire to Bohemia, and are currently teetering at the brink of extinction. Just a year after this map Ottomans singed a peace with Austria, taking three provinces and are now literally at the gates of Vienna, which is cut off from the rest of Austria.

Sweden formed Scandinavia and now yields the second-largest army and navy in Europe right after me. Eastern Europe and Russia has been a mess for most of the game, nations rising and falling as they please. Early in the game Lithuania conquered nearly everything in their way, until they somehow broke down (didn't pay much attention). Poland was quite large as well, until they got shrank into just a couple of provinces, but a few years after this map they managed to conquer a swath of Ukraine and are "back in the game" so to say.

In the Far East the Ottomans are business as usual, while a powerful Yemen formed on the Arabian peninsula and then annexed expansionist Ethiopia which had somehow managed to conquer the Mameluks all the way up to Cairo, before finishing off the latter. Currently they just sit around, waiting for the final encounter with the Ottomans.

Ming was very powerful early in the game, and controlled 1/3 of India until they were broken by rebels. Now they are being slowly eaten by Oirat Horde and Zhou. Who knows, perhaps we'll see the second coming of the Mongols?

The colonial game is rather blend, with only me, Portugal and Castille having any dealings in the new world, though recently Norway colonised Greenland and established a foothold in Canada so we might have a fourth contender right there. The Aztecs were swallowed by Castille but Aragon forced them to hand back most of the provinces in a peace deal.

In-game map:

Religious map:

Apart from Armagnac, protestantism is quite firmly confined to Central and Northern Europe, with Hungary making a little exception.

eu4_25.jpg

As you see, my expansion has cost me dearly. I am technologically at the same level with the Ottomans and Northern Africa, though I've managed to keep up on military tech.

Also, the curia is pretty well under my control (currently situated in Berg near the Netherlands):

eu4_32.jpg

Last edited:
After about 15-20 tries I finally did it, I managed to keep the Teutonic Order alive in ironman mode!

I allied the Livonian order and the Hansa, started increasing relations with Austria and noticed that I could ally Hungary, which I then did. After a while I saw Austria had Burgundy and France as rivals, so I added them and at this point Austria was willing to ally with me too. When relations were high enough I joined the HRE.

At this point I had an army of 20k men, and was at war with Aragon due to Austria declaring on them and me, the loyal ally, accepting the call to arms.

Then the inevitable declaration of war by Poland came, they had a PU with Lithuania as always. To my big surprise all 4 of my allies honored the call to war. I ended up with only 7k men left and no manpower left but at this point Poland was broken. Lithuania managed to cling on to it's troops for a bit longer but was ultimately wiped out too.

I took some provinces that Poland offered me in their peace offer and left it at that, but rebels started spawning in Lithuania and during my war with them Bohemia had declared on Poland. In his peace demand he forced them to release Ukraine.

After this picture was taken I declared war on Poland again and took some more of their land, now I'm content and am going to focus on the west because the east is no longer a threat.

2013-08-22_00001.jpg

eu4_map_VEN_1620_06_08_1.png

my venetian trade empire, year 1620.

gone reformed and vassalized the ottomans, i started by conquering suez to steer the indian trade toward venice

After about 15-20 tries I finally did it, I managed to keep the Teutonic Order alive in ironman mode!

I allied the Livonian order and the Hansa, started increasing relations with Austria and noticed that I could ally Hungary, which I then did. After a while I saw Austria had Burgundy and France as rivals, so I added them and at this point Austria was willing to ally with me too. When relations were high enough I joined the HRE.

At this point I had an army of 20k men, and was at war with Aragon due to Austria declaring on them and me, the loyal ally, accepting the call to arms.

Then the inevitable declaration of war by Poland came, they had a PU with Lithuania as always. To my big surprise all 4 of my allies honored the call to war. I ended up with only 7k men left and no manpower left but at this point Poland was broken. Lithuania managed to cling on to it's troops for a bit longer but was ultimately wiped out too.

I took some provinces that Poland offered me in their peace offer and left it at that, but rebels started spawning in Lithuania and during my war with them Bohemia had declared on Poland. In his peace demand he forced them to release Ukraine.

After this picture was taken I declared war on Poland again and took some more of their land, now I'm content and am going to focus on the west because the east is no longer a threat.

View attachment 89456

Playing Teutonic Order in Ironman can be brutal, since in 99% of the case Poland comes after you with Lithuania in a PU

my own succesful strategy was this:
- immediately ally Hungary
- declare Muscovy a Rival and Novgorod will come with an alliance offer soon after that
- get all chummy with Bohemia so you can ally with them as soon as possible ( this might fail if they get an early claim on Neumark)

- start fabricating a claim on Kurland on the first day:
you can make the Livonian orders in 2 wars, first war: get kurland +1 other province (after that you get a mission for riga get asap), 2nd war: make them into a vassal; nobody ever helps the livonian order or riga poor guys lol

- those wars likely make act poland even faster so have your alliances ready, with novgorod,bohemia, and mercs you "should" be able to handle Poland.

Still Teutonic Order is a butal starting location, I had a few tries myself till I succeded

Today I shall finish all your doubts. Much has been spoken about which one is the True Best Korea, but they never reached a conclusion because they never considered the definitive, irrefutable answer...

United China is Best Korea.

0ci9.png

Note: Ayuthia and Dai Viet are vassals of mine.

Though it was my first game in Asia, so I committed many mistakes. If I do it again, I will:
-NOT try to colonize America early. Lost tons of AMP coring Siberia trying to get there.
-Rush the Expansion ideas for op casus belli (I think. Didn't try it yet).
-Play as Manchuria instead of Korea. Korean ideas suck. Even If Korea rocks harder.
-Only vassalize Ming in the whole China. It's just cleaner.
-Planning carefully how to westernize.

For now it's just too heavy to be such a giant.

Here is the current Progress of my TO game (1595)

I crushed Poland/Lithuania early with Bohemias/Hungary/Novgorods Help. I later made Novgorod into a vassal before Muscovy could swallow them. Muscovy has developed in an utter nemesis. I havent expanded in Europe (besides annexing) vassal in the last 50 years.

I also have already fully converted to Protestant faith. religious turmoil and Muscovy making mega coalitions against me made me focus exlusively on the new world for the past 50+ years, which netted me most of North America.

England never really got off the ground and has only now begun to colonize. France was late to start aswell due to religious turmoil. Austria got riped apart continouusly by Bohemia/france/ottomans and well everyone dogpiled them at a atime. Muscovy and Ottomans have fought each other viciously a few times now with 2x times making a white peace and 1 time ottoman getting 1 province of them oO. Muscovy is stronk (it gets 6/6/6 rulers all the time, manpower to the wazoo and enough money to make use of it, also the smartest AI use of hunter stacks I have seen in any of my games so far)

if I had any advice to a fellow TO player, its that. after Poland/lithuania are crushed make sure to take any chance to kill off Muscovy, because nobody else will stop them and they will only grow stronger and stronger ... :/

526CA99C178CF87900FD0B715CF49C5F8B3C93E2

closer look at Europe:
39E16352FD83E8F161A8C23AB58EB1E6364D0B31

Last edited:
Final score for first Ironman game

I am first in admin and military but my diplomacy was always around 10-20 spot on rank and that was usually cause of coalition and aggresive expansion sothats why i was lacking in score.
Getting 4th trade income is lol for me cause i had 0 ideas implemented in it

Europe

Dat Austria was once inherited by Great Britain and after i made GB release them they turned against me almost imediatly.
Forming Prussia and then Germany is great way to gain few extra free cores:D
Usual coalition against me was: GB,FRANCE,AUSTRIA,TUSCANY,MILAN,STYRIA,POLAND,LITHUANIA,DENMARK,some minor 1 province states that were annexed aswell in meantime.
Dat Coalition war + Sweden war + Ottoman war against me at the same time and I won them all:D. Not a single war that i made or was made against me was lost during this game.
Next time i play something in central Europe il watch out for that aggressive expansion penalty cause i had -678 vs Bavaria at some point...

Provinces in South West Africa

If stupid British wouldnt have burned my 2 colonies i would have had another 2 provinces more but with enormous coalition against me and underdeveloped fleet it was impossible to do anything about that

Provinces in East Africa

Province in India

Expanded a bit into India causeSpice trade objective

Province in Asia and my expeditionary force xD

Into the China mission got me this one, too bad Zhou had so many inland provinces at that time :/

I made bunch of screenshots about the progress of this game on my steam profile so if you want see the progress from the start ur free to do so

Last edited:
This forum needs "Is Korea overpowered?" thread.

Korea is pretty OP, IMO. I've never seen them not do well except by my intervention. I'm not sure what it is, since Manchu has more soldiers than them. Maybe something to do with Korea converting their 5 military leader into a general and just going and smashing Manchu's armies.

Not an Empire at all yet, but..

FC3BCD5BCEFBB7A8B9016881934CD8F1C000E3B3

Started Venice game as you see, and I have two major goals in this:
1) Babysit Byzantium through and through and make sure they regain as much as they can. Conquer Ottoman turf, give it to Byzantium. I do this to correct the mistake that was the Fourth Crusade and to stem the Turkish tide before it's too late. As Venice my life is much easier without Ottomans taking over the Balkans anyway. If only I could vassalize the Byzantines, but too bad I can't since I'm a republic (duh) and I think they are too big now to force vassalization in a peace treaty.
2) Conquer Morocco and establish a solid colonial empire. I strive to get exploration tech as soon as I can, and for that reason I will not expand to conserve admin points.

See how this goes.

Here is my current game... also my very first with EU4.

I started as Brandenburg and managed to form Prussia. Eventually got a PU with Bohemia and integrated them. I also just got a PU with Great Britain, which has united the isles and has colonies in the Americas.

I have had a few wars with France, which I have won every time, even forcing Burgundy to be freed. And don't let Aragon fool you in the picture. Spain formed long ago, colonized a ton, then lost their home to rebels. So, Spain exists... mostly in South America.

eu4_1.png
eu4_map_PRU_1760_06_29_1.png

[...]

Started Venice game as you see, and I have two major goals in this:
1) Babysit Byzantium through and through and make sure they regain as much as they can. Conquer Ottoman turf, give it to Byzantium. I do this to correct the mistake that was the Fourth Crusade and to stem the Turkish tide before it's too late. As Venice my life is much easier without Ottomans taking over the Balkans anyway. If only I could vassalize the Byzantines, but too bad I can't since I'm a republic (duh) and I think they are too big now to force vassalization in a peace treaty.
2) Conquer Morocco and establish a solid colonial empire. I strive to get exploration tech as soon as I can, and for that reason I will not expand to conserve admin points.

See how this goes.

Not sure If you still can, but you should declare war on Byzantium (even without casus belli, right at the start of the game), make vassal, and then conquer things for them. Eventually you'll be able to integrate.

Korea is pretty OP, IMO. I've never seen them not do well except by my intervention. I'm not sure what it is, since Manchu has more soldiers than them. Maybe something to do with Korea converting their 5 military leader into a general and just going and smashing Manchu's armies.

It's just the position. Manchu has borders with one extra country. If Ming stays out (which is the rule) Manchu will eventually either run out of manpower or lose a 2 sides war from which it won't recover.

Of course this only applies to AI, the human player will simply destroy Corea or Manchu at day 1.

So my 2nd Europa game. After getting my ass handed by europeans as Hindustant I started my Portugal game to feel the power!!!
I mostly focuses on colonization until nothing was left. At around 1700 GB decided to embargo me. Then we started impressive arms race to build the greatest navy/army. I spammed force limit building in american to get my pathetic FL up. At the time my nave would have been bigger with the navy idea. However when I reached that, GB had about 60 more ship limit. My plans for invading came to a halt for this and other reasons.

However! In 1756 morning GB used colonization CB to start a war with Portugal. GB was allied with Norway/Sweden/Mali/Shawnee?(zanzibar trade node dude)/viljingar. My only ally spain came to the rescue BUT, thanks to massive coalition against Spain, GB got more allies. The entire HRE came into the pray who was leading a PU with Muscowy and Netherlands as well. Spain was already in war with almost the entire northern France before this war so basically this thing was a MASSIVE WORLD WAR!!!

Huge battles followed in NA with GB vs Portugal. Also incredible land battles in Spanish France. It was stalemate for about 5 years until I managed to sneak in men to take over the British Isles. British were figthing against spain on the mainland and NA so they were too thin to do anything about it. 70% warscore with just landbattles and taking The isles. However spain was finaly broken and opted for peace leaving me alone against the war. I had huge plans but settled for making GB release England/Scottland/Nurthumberland. (bullshit England release btw) WW1 was won. Afterwards I vassalized scottland.

World war 2 came upon when I finaly went for world domination by forcing PU on Spain. We were best buddies for most of the game. We were together in countless wars. I felt little bit bad for declaring war upon them. In the end it was Spain/Ottomans/Sweden vs Portugal/HRE/Poland/Naples/randoms. However after defeating spanish navy I was in full controll of Iberia and spanish military was stuck on Africa. Easy win afterwards.

BUT I RAN OUT OF TIME!!! I could integrate only in 1831 :(
However! My World domination is pretty clear at to anyone living in this world :D
Fun Note: HRE was going to finish integration of Muscowy in 1822!!

eu4_4.png

eu4_5.png

eu4_6.png

eu4_7.png

Last edited:
My 3rd Ottoman game. 1687. I'm stuck at this point. Mamluks & Indian nations & Yemen & Oman & American tribes are in coalition against me with massive AE, but I can defeat them all together with half of my army. I have massive income and both my navy and army is the biggest. My army is so big that the combined 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Armies isn't as big. I converted all my provinces to Sunni. Most of them are also Turkish. Only some territories in India and America are not Turkish. But they would be if I continued.

I first started with blitzkriegin Orthodox states. DoW and Annexed Byzantium immediately after that I took Athens. Serbia at that time had just eaten Bosnia and was at war against Hungary. I waited for them to kill each other. Then DoW and annex Serbia. Then I DoW Hungary and forced them to release Croatia. After that, I annexed Wallachia. There were no Orthodox left so AE was no problem. By the way, I was allied from Crimea from start and we made great partners.

I didn't want to expand to East because I noticed the Mamluk issue in my previous games. So, I put a claim on Bari and started to expand on Italy only. While I was waiting for Italian provinces to become core, I went for my cores in Anatolia. Crimea also expanded. They conquered Georgia and they vassalised Astrakhan.

Bohemia kept inheriting lots of states. So, they went against Poland rather then waiting for Poland. I waited for them to chew each other. Then Crimea decided it was time and DoW them before me. I took half of Poland on its own. Later Bohemia annex Poland. Crimea kept DoWing Lithuania. I helped at those wars. At one moment, we had exact number of provinces, while just protecting our respecting North-South border with each other.

Austria had conquered most of Venice and what was left of Burgundy. Then the unthinkable happened. Austria became first Protestant country with Hungary. So during the revolts, I expanded to north Balkans. After the dust settled, Austria & Hungary & Bohemia were protestant. England was even DotF for Catholics.

I diplo vassaled Tripoli and Tunisia and decided to focus on East. Persia sprung. So, it took me several wars to get them. I also annexed small island nations in Mediterranean. Even formed alliance with Mughals and helped their expansion. Then I got lucky and PU Crimea with no war. This was about after 1560s+. I westernized at the end of 1500s and waited for Austria-Bohemia-Hungary to turn each other. Basically, Bohemia become Emperor and asked Austria to give territories back. Austria didn't and they went to war. I waited a little and then nuked Austria. That war gave me direct land access to my Italy. Yet, Austria and Hungary founded a coalition against me. Milan and Savoy joined the coalition as well. So, I decided to not to bother them again. Their combined strength would have been overkill at the time.

When I wasn't looking Mamluks conquered Eastern Africa and all Arabia. So, I decided it was time to nuke them. I DoW and made them release Syria, Iraq, Yemen and Oman. I took some provinces as well so Syria only had 3 provinces. I diplo-vassalised Syria+Iraq and gave Syria the territories back. Then went another 5 years later and took rest of Arabia from Mamluks. Yet, when that happened Mughals, Yemen and Oman left my alliance and joined a coalition against me.

So, I took a tech with colonist -not the explorer one-. Colonized Jamaica (I had taken canaries somehow, I really don't remember when) and small islands below India.

Just after I annex Crimea PU and the vassals, my 78 year old monarch died with a heir of 63 year, who died next year. So, I suffered regency from 1638 till mid 1650s. After that, I noticed Mayas were free to get. So, nuked and took some provinces. Then I got the overseas-cb thingie and went to India. Took some provinces there. Pretty much got bored at that point because of AE issues. I have no real CB in the game and it would be a giant waste of time to conquer India the way the game wants. I literally can took all provinces in India under 5-6 months but I can't annex them and each time I do, I get massive core issues. So, it's stuck and that's where I left the game.

note: France won HYW but imploded afterwards while trying to conquer Burgundy. Later on Brittany-England alliance usurped France and Brittany became France. Then Aragon just decided to expand and chew chew :D

note-2: I helped Netherlands a lot. Austria had most of its provinces and I needed Austria to lose to get my Italian-connection therefore I made Netherlands rich and they became massive at first. When I stopped, they had massive AE so Hainaut took over. Castille never got to diplo-annex Aragon.

note-3: At one point I had PU casus-belli against Swahili but I got my first and only regency just after I claimed their throne. So, it wasn't meant to be I guess.

note-4: The massive Denmark also leads a PU with Great Britain...

t8XJFE7.jpg

UdsNAYf.png

My ironman Ottomans game.

http://hpics.li/b7a1785

Plan was to expand, damn Ottos lol, while keeping Constantinople the main trade center for late game Asian stuff.

So, get some hard foot on Alexandria and take full control of Aden node.
Very convenient too, that the whole South is sunni and a somewhat accepted culture (Arabic).Way better than this catho orthodox rebelle prone non sense in the north ;D

Not very historical, but well...

Note that Lucky nation did nothing for France...didnt intervene at all in this part of the map.