• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
E6BB47AC51D4C38C77C9E9297BB6487D0E7DA7C5

My latest Dai Viet run on Ironman. Arakan and Zhou are my vassals. I focused more on the pretty borders than mindless expansion.

My idea for this run was to test how much attrition I could cause in those Himalaya mountains with defensive ideas, Dai Viet national idea and Guerilla Warfare policy. Answer was "pretty frigging much", for example it managed to reduce one of those Mughal stacks from 60 units into bare 30 before they managed to siege even one province. Fun indeed.

Also it is quite interesting that Mughals, Hindustan and Qing managed to form themselves.

Final boss... Austria declares overseas expansion on Bengal, allied to my ally Vijay... Suddenly, Russia France Japan and India vs. Habsblobbers. Million troops on each side. +40 warscore from battles (would be +500 without a cap >_>), and they still have -50 reasons for peace... occupying provinces won't do anything. With one mil manpower I'm thinking I'll last longer. Can't say the same for weakass France.

Still 1697

Uzbek,Kazan,Sibir,Tunus,Khiva,Crimea,Persia,Ethiopia,Adal,Funj,Ajuuraan,The Mamluks,Timurids will be annexed if I have enough time. This empire will be great. Also, this empire will remind me an Union.

Last edited:
I finally finished my Poland->PLC game. I wanted to test out the new elective monarchy mechanics...I did not really like this government type, though this was before they hotfixed it so that foreign heirs gave 90 legitimacy instead of 20. I was able to become an Absolute Monarchy eventually.

After PUing Lithuania and allying Austria, I annexed TO and vassalized LO. Then I vassalized and fed Novgorod. Unfortunately, I barely missed stopping Muscovy from colonizing, so I had to keep fighting them until I annexed them.

Denmark had inherited its PU's, but lost them to rebels. Later, I got lucky PU's on both France and Denmark within a short span of time. I then spent the next few years feeding Denmark its cores on all of Scandinavia. Annexing them took a lot of DIP points, but it was worth it, since it helped me monopolize the Baltic and Lubeck nodes (I moved my trade capital to the latter and conquered Northern Germany). I decided to keep France alive to have effortless siege power. In addition, I reallied with Austria, and thus I could defeat any opponent, even the Ottomans.

Firstly though, I used France and Austria to dismantle the HRE: Austria lost the Emperorship to Sardinia-Piedmont, so after a couple of no CB wars and allying half the electors, the HRE was dismantled (legitimizing that achievement, which I actually got by forming the HRE), which is why Austria was able to blob so much. They vassalized Bohemia and annexed them in August 1820, only a few months before the end of the game.

In the last century, I was focused on annexing Crimea and crippling the Ottomans. I forced them to release nations and return cores. Once Iraq and Syria were released, everything below Turkey was overseas, so I was able to release all the countries for very low amounts of warscore (possibly with the help of Administrative Efficiency). The Ottomans, unfortunately, reconquered Bulgaria (which was released as an Ibadi nation) and were about to reconquer Iraq when the game ended...

Poland+Humanism=Lots of accepted cultures! The most notable are Russian and Tartar, but I also accepted some German cultures, as well as Danish. Contrary to some other, I did briefly have Lithuanian as an accepted culture, but lost them after conquering large amounts of Horde territory. In addition, I had full tolerance of heretics, so once the province flipping events started to happen too frequently for me to convert them back, I decided to just convert heathens, since there was no need to convert heretics.

I of course got the Winged Hussars achievement, and it was fun building half-cav armies and using high shock generals to stackwipe Ottoman stacks in a single battle. I also decided to get the Grand Armada Achievement, but I was only a couple of months away from running out of money since I had exceeded my forcelimits by 3 or 4 fold, and I had to build 7 ships in each province and thus suffer the high ship maintenance costs for much longer. Finally, I did indeed get into space!

Finally, some random observations: I built the Kiel canal, the AI formed Hindustan and expanded a lot, a nice Persia, England and Portugal dominating the Americas, with Castile for once getting the short end of the stick. Austria colonized Africa, Castile and England split the Australian region (the former getting 2 Australian provinces and all of New Zealand, and the latter colonizing the rest of Australia), and Egypt formed from the released Mamluks.

This was a great game! Next up (probably) is another shot at the Netherlands, but this time from Burgundy...

eu4_1037.jpg

How did you manage all that and still max out all idea slots, as well as reach tech 32 across the board?

How did you manage all that and still max out all idea slots, as well as reach tech 32 across the board?

By not taking too many techs ahead of time, and using my NF for ADM to help me core stuff (I actually did not need to core much; just half of modern-day Russia, Northern Germany, and Crimea. I got all of Novogorod's cores, Scandinavia, and Lithuania by annexing vassals.

did your Greece keep venetian ideas?

By not taking too many techs ahead of time, and using my NF for ADM to help me core stuff (I actually did not need to core much; just half of modern-day Russia, Northern Germany, and Crimea. I got all of Novogorod's cores, Scandinavia, and Lithuania by annexing vassals.

I figured the regions you were coring were not high in base tax. What I forgot about was the neighborhood bonus you get from tech now, which I'm also assuming you used.

sweet I know what my next eu4 game is then!

I do think the greek minors(as well as Russian/Balkans/Georgia/French/southeast asia) need NIs though. Heck paradox could even borrow from the mods and just tweak the numbers.

sweet I know what my next eu4 game is then!

I do think the greek minors(as well as Russian/Balkans/Georgia/French/southeast asia) need NIs though. Heck paradox could even borrow from the mods and just tweak the numbers.
its been awhile since they added any. at first they were adding them each new patch, but nothing for a long time... many nations in need

An update on my Mughals game:
f3mH6lRky5.jpg

The Qara Qoyunlu are my rivals since the start of the game, but we never actively fought each other, except for the one time the Chagatai called me into their "Horde Free For All" war, with Qara Qoyunlu as the enemy warleader. We have some cold war-like thing going on there, insulting each other, throwing embargoes around, this kind of stuff. Qara Qoyunlu really surprised me in this game. They've gone toe-to-toe with the Ottomans several times and at one point even survided a Ottoman/Mamluk coalition without being completely decimated. They lost their Anatolian provinces and parts of the Caucasus, though.

After forming the Mughal Empire, I tried to conquer as many provinces as I could before my claims disappeared. Vijayanagar and Orissa dominated large parts of South and East India for some time before I started chipping away at them. While I was busy getting the Indians in line, Indochina was dominated by the Shan and Ayutthaya. When I annexed Shan, the Thai allied with nearly every country possible in the region, so at one point a war against some minor country - can't remember which - escalated into a war between the Mughal/Chagatai alliance on one side and Ming, Ayutthaya, Tibet and Lan Xang on the other. I vassalized Tibet and took some border provinces off Ayutthaya and Ming. Naturally Dai Viet jumped at the chance to get some new provinces at the expense of their neighbours. They annexed Lan Xang and are now trying to expand into Cambodia - while I'm finally getting around to contain them because I don't want their coring cost modifier on even more provinces. I think I'll conquer their cheaper provinces and then vassalize/diplo-annex what remains.

Funny thing on the side: I could diplo-vassalize the Chagatai. Seems like their provinces are really poor. Not that they're weak, though. They owned half of the Timurid's territory at some point, but, as befits hordes, the borders up there fluctuate heavily. When I'm finally finished with Indochina, I'll try to emulate my ruler's ancestors and expand further into China. I'm toying with the idea to take all of it and proclaim myself as their new emperor, but I don't want the Russians on my borders, so maybe I'll just take the south.

I took Humanism as my first idea group, so, in combination with Timurid ideas, I have next to no rebellions. Nationalists very rarely, but never fanatics. I wanted to emulate the more tolerant Mughal Empire under Akbar, not the intolerant mess that existed under his successor.
oLhyOxmxdN.jpg

5xdTICsyvR.jpg

bsV8aqZpk0.jpg

I once accepted Persians, Gujarati and Avadhi, too, but I'm now at the point where I'm losing accepted cultures again. I'm constantly expanding eastwards and colonizing, so that's to be expected. My subjects are still very content, especially the heathens, as I've got enough modifiers to be constantly at +3 tolerance. It's a nice contrast to that monolithic Shi'a blob next to me. They even proclaimed themselves protector of the Shi'a faith, but "we laugh at their pretensions". :)