• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rome_map_2.jpg

589 AVC

Indeed you are right. If I build a strong enough navy, I'll be able to keep the Seleucids out of Greece and hold them on the ground at chock points. But as you can see I expanded in the West and I'm going to continue doing so as it's much easier to fight Gallic tribes. Things are looking quite good :)

As of now, Dacia is the first nation, both province number-wise and income-wise :D

Looking good. :) If you like I can send you a few files that will allow you to upgrade the name of your country via a decision. Would you like "Greater Dacia" at 10 provinces and then "Dacian Empire" when you hit 50 provinces?

I need to post my current Egypt game. I deadlocked with Carthage, so did some colonizing instead, including Dalmatia and Gallia Cisalpina. Rome is currently stuck between Egyptian Gaul and Carthaginian Sicily, with fifty thousand men defending Italia and Magna Graecia. Should be interesting.

It sounds like you have the Romans all tied up. :p What about the Seleucids in the east?

Dacia_632.jpg

632 AVC
Looking good. If you like I can send you a few files that will allow you to upgrade the name of your country via a decision. Would you like "Greater Dacia" at 10 provinces and then "Dacian Empire" when you hit 50 provinces?

Yes thank you that would be great!:D I hit 50 provinces a long while back and changed the government type to Empire. I think the name should be changed when you change the government type. As in Kingdom of Dacia and then Dacian Empire. You could implement this for every country in your next patch :)

PS: I would also like to suggest to implement descriptions for the three strategic decisions "Client States and Mobile Armies", "Frontiers and Preclusive Defence" and "Defence in Depth". I lost a lot of stability just trying all of them to see their effects and then concluding I don't need any of them:)

Last edited:
Whenever I attempt the screen shot, I'm given a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error. What is the correct C++ package?

My comp is Windows 7, ATI 3200 graphics card. Dual core. Would changing C++ packages cause any problems?

rome_50.jpg

Poor Rome. Surrounded by Egyptians. I just diplomatically annexed Asia Minor, and I hold Carthage in tribute. The future belongs to the House of Ptolemy.

Dacia_697.jpg

697 AVC

I conquered and colonized all of Britain and Ireland, and half of the Italian peninsula. I allied myself with Lysimachid Kingdom and together we conquered Greece. I then took Rhodos, most of Crete, Pheonicia and small parts of North Africa. I had battled a long and exhausting civil war and then slowly built huge armies and fleets to quickly overwhelm small countries.

The choice I face now is whether to conquer Africa or Europe. The problem is the Celts are all allied with each other. But with the Lysimachid Kingdom, my ally, which has a manpower of over 700k, I might be able to hold them off of a few provinces I might conquer quickly before they gather their forces.

Eventually, the Senones, my other ally, will have to be conquered too, they're a different shade of blue on the map, I envy them... But they're also allied with the Celts so first there have to be less Celts to worry about.

My luck is because of the cascading alliances, I always get dragged in Celts' conflicts and I'm made "chief" of the alliance. And so I make sure they fight long enough so they exhaust their manpower, but during peace negotiations I never give them any territories, to keep the balance of power :) It's evil... and it's an exploit. For example they always conquer Theveste, and I never let them keep any territories. I imagine in real life, they wouldn't have liked some huge uninvolved empire deciding they don't deserve anything. After all I'm their just their ally's ally... it's weird.

Anyway, the game is going well enough I think :D

Dacia_726.jpg

730 AVC, end of the game

Allied with the most powerful nations in the world, having the strongest economy and the biggest armies, the Dacian Emipre rules Europe and the Mediterranean :D

Reaching the end of this game I've come to some conclusions:
1) We have to be able to somehow spread our state religion to conquered provinces and make it more important
2) The game would be muuuch more enjoyable if it had a better interface, like some pictures in announcements, though I understand that's very hard to mod (see how MEIOU improved the interface in EU3)
3) The different civilizations need more variety... maybe specific buildings, specific decisions for some religions, something to create a more personalized experience depending on who you're playing with
4) Where the hell do I see my war exhaustion?!

Anyway I'm sure many aspects of the game will be improved in this mod with time, right Hardradi? :)

Last edited:
Whenever I attempt the screen shot, I'm given a Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error. What is the correct C++ package?

My comp is Windows 7, ATI 3200 graphics card. Dual core. Would changing C++ packages cause any problems?

I am not sure Born2Run. Have a look in some of the older Tech Support threads. I had some trouble with a new Vista 64bit PC which ultimately proved to be underpowered. I know there are a lot of threads relating to it.

rome_50.jpg

Poor Rome. Surrounded by Egyptians. I just diplomatically annexed Asia Minor, and I hold Carthage in tribute. The future belongs to the House of Ptolemy.

You should have looked east and taken on the Seleucids and reformed the Argead Empire. Is not Ptolemy son of Lagid actually the son on Philip II? Must I be the first mortal to do it in this mod. :D

You should have looked east and taken on the Seleucids and reformed the Argead Empire. Is not Ptolemy son of Lagid actually the son on Philip II? Must I be the first mortal to do it in this mod. :D

Hey, it's only 513 AUC. I still have time. I just want to crush Rome and the Antigonids first (still clinging for life in Macedonia). ;)

Dacia_726.jpg

730 AVC, end of the game

Allied with the most powerful nations in the world, having the strongest economy and the biggest armies, the Dacian Emipre rules Europe and the Mediterranean :D

Reaching the end of this game I've come to some conclusions:
1) We have to be able to somehow spread our state religion to conquered provinces and make it more important
2) The game would be muuuch more enjoyable if it had a better interface, like some pictures in announcements, though I understand that's very hard to mod (see how MEIOU improved the interface in EU3)
3) The different civilizations need more variety... maybe specific buildings, specific decisions for some religions, something to create a more personalized experience depending on who you're playing with
4) Where the hell do I see my war exhaustion?!

Anyway I'm sure many aspects of the game will be improved in this mod with time, right Hardradi? :)

Thanks for breathing some life back into this thread. It has been enjoyable to hear about your conquests. :)

1) The game has this feature already but it is tackled via the religious tech (higher than 6 finesse). I have researched into ancient "crusader" states before and couldnt find any real examples. On this basis I dont think it warrants a new government type. If your ruler was a religious zealot, it probably should boost the chances of the religious tech events firing.

2) I have played around a little with the interface in Epigoni and now some in HOI3. It is currently a bit clunky, I agree. My current focus is the map and the diadochi period. If I spread myself to thin, I will never finish anything.

3) Agreed but per 2 above, I must maintian focus.

4) Goto a province sub-screen and hover the mouse over the revolt risk. Strange place I know. :p

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey, it's only 513 AUC. I still have time. I just want to crush Rome and the Antigonids first (still clinging for life in Macedonia). ;)

Plenty of time. With all the additional conquests in the west you would be greater than Alexander. Let us know how you go.

Will do, Hardradi. I was wondering why the capital of the reunited empire is Babylon. Why not Macedonia? I have to say I don't know this period all that well, but I suppose there is a historical reason.

I look forward to seeing the map extend to the Indus. The Seleucids should have their eastern frontier instead of just dropping off into the void. ;)

Wish I could get the pic posted for mine (having screen cap troubles). Strange things be happening.

Started as Byzantium in the 480s. Expanded to thracia, crobobizi, hard-fought war with Bithnyia for the other side of the strait. Won.

Bam! 2 civils wars and Byzantium jumps to higher tech. Fast forward 18 years. The following has happened.

1) Rome/Carthage allied vs Greek Mega war for 10 years.
2) Boii smash Etruria, expand north.
3) Samnites expand south
4) Rome subjugated under barbarians, converted to military tribe. Turning into Gallo Ligurian/Animism.
5) Judea expands and conquers Phoenician homeland in 488.
6) Nabatea expands and conquers Judea in 490. Gains access to wood.
7) Nabatean Mega-Fleet of 12 ships conquers Rhodes.

Also, Seleucid empire conquers much of the Moesia/Boshphorus, Asis Minor, civil war happens in it, Egypt, and Carthage with a few months of each other.

Took forever and a very luckily spawned barbarian army, and the newly formed Ptolemaic/Bithnyian/Byzantine allied fleet to smash the Nabateans (Fleet grew to 16 ships, fought vs 24 combined) for the new Byzantine Dictatorship (Whose leader is having an affair with his son's (the heir) wife and 3 ministers wives) to win the independence of Rhodes. Goal is to expand to previous Byzantine Empire territories before Justinian's conquests and ally with the ruling power in Italy.

Edit: Make that 8+ affairs now.

Last edited:
Just finished a Rome campaign, first time I've ever actually reached the end date in an actual campaign :D

rome_map_1-1.jpg

It's not as impressive as the other empires in this thread (Rome is still a pretty easy country for conquering!), but by the gods has it been an incredible campaign. The last hundred years or so saw a huge explosion in Roman expansion, and three huge wars against a gargantuan Seleucid Empire saw the SPQR take about half of their land. It took no less than a quarter of a million men, plus reinforcements, to finally subdue them each time. I had hoped to squeeze in one more war with them, and was even prepared to break the most recent truce to do so, but I figured with so many lvl4 forts everywhere it would take too long to finish.

But the future looks pretty bleak for the Roman Empire. The current emperor is the most corrupt character I've ever seen (90% corruption), and is freely spending state money to bribe his horde of disloyal generals and governors. For the moment, the coffers remain full...but it can't last forever. Pity the game has already ended.

Didn't quite get to achieve my objectives, either: colonise all of Britain and conquer all the way to India. I was at war too much to get my civ value high enough to colonise, and the wars against the Seleucids were simply too draining to take on Maurya as well. Oh well; next time!

Reaching the end date in a campaign is impressive enough. :) You have gone further in the northwest and the east than the real empire.

I cant believe Maurya, it doesnt look like it has done anything at all and the Seleucid virus still clings to life in the east. A few cultures still cling to life on the borders.

Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Yeah, Maurya did practically nothing all game. It went to war with the Seleucids a couple of times, but it just doesn't have the manpower to compete, and small nations just give up too easily in wars with bigger nations. Maurya even ended up losing a province or two, before being vassalised (and allied to) the Seleucids. They proved a big headache for me, since it was another 40k+ stack to worry about, but their army just isn't enough to deal with the Seleucids.

Funnily enough, the Sels weren't actually doing all that well until just before I started beating them up. Arabia had been conquered by Nabataea, and Pontus still held strong in Asia Minor. It was only a few decades before that the Sels finally got around to taking them out. They suffered a few governor civil wars, but they also lack the manpower to maintain any decent resistance.

I should also point out that it was in this game that I tested out the anti-alliance decision, and right away there was a huge stack of DOWs. It unfortunately meant that all the little countries got eaten up very quickly, but it also meant that some of the little countries became big countries instead. I think with some tweaking the relationship hack could actually work really well; make the big guys hate (and be hated by) almost everyone, and let the little guys remain friends.

Started over as Byzantium again with all relations set to -100. Definitely fixed the casc alliance problem. (Also changed Byz to Fed Monarchy).

Quickly spread and fought hard war w/ Bithnyia took over. Then acted on guarantees to protect the tiny nations on the asia minor baltic coast (later conquered back), warred with Pontus..., intervened in greek colonial disputes. Tons of fun.

Did the same with regard to Argos vs. Achaen league/Macedonia. Took over mid achaia this way and small strip of islands from Macedonia. Then beefed up my small empire's army to a 20k stack in Asia minor (additional 8k regional troops in Minor and Achaia.) Then, Seluecid empire attacked my ally Pergamon and I got involved:*(

Over 30 massive fights ensued between Seleucid 15k-25k stacks and the Byzantine resistance force (Henceforth declared 'Strike Team Alpha' after the 7th Battle of Bithnyia) with the Seleucid manpower reduced from 92k to 25k after a 5 year war. (All units are now at +45% experience) Pergamon had been freed about 4 times by now, and I lost count of Seleucid casualties around 130k. Also some epic fleet battles in which the small 10 ship fleet took on a 32 ship Seleucid fleet and over a couple of engagements whittled it down to 10 ships (We lost and rebuilt 2 ships, captured one the 'Melquart' and lost 2 captains to brave fighting retreats). A amicable peace was declared after the annexation of Pergamon by the Seleucids. They're out of money and beginning to implode :)

Notes:
Started in 473 avc.
Carthage broke, realigned, and broke with Rome.
Ptolemaic Kingdom fought a 4 front war, annexed the Kush, ceded Judea/Sinai to Nabatea (which had pushed all the way into Alexandria) and declared peace w/ Cyrenaica.
Rome has 90% of Italy, waiting to take Brutii and Picentines. Gaul is in 5 medium gallic powers + coastal minors. Carthage colonizing and expanding.

Hmmm might have to take up the Argread challenge. Just need to work out how much handicap i need to give myself as egypt, they look pretty unstoppable as long as you control thier growth and dont try something stupid like taking the whole greek World on in an epic world war.

Is there a list anywhere with other formable nations in the mod or do you prefer us to find them out for ourselves.

Also other than trial and error is there a government flowchart kicking about ? So you know what tribe/rebublic/monarchy turns into what.

Yeah, Maurya did practically nothing all game. It went to war with the Seleucids a couple of times, but it just doesn't have the manpower to compete, and small nations just give up too easily in wars with bigger nations. Maurya even ended up losing a province or two, before being vassalised (and allied to) the Seleucids. They proved a big headache for me, since it was another 40k+ stack to worry about, but their army just isn't enough to deal with the Seleucids.

Funnily enough, the Sels weren't actually doing all that well until just before I started beating them up. Arabia had been conquered by Nabataea, and Pontus still held strong in Asia Minor. It was only a few decades before that the Sels finally got around to taking them out. They suffered a few governor civil wars, but they also lack the manpower to maintain any decent resistance.

I should also point out that it was in this game that I tested out the anti-alliance decision, and right away there was a huge stack of DOWs. It unfortunately meant that all the little countries got eaten up very quickly, but it also meant that some of the little countries became big countries instead. I think with some tweaking the relationship hack could actually work really well; make the big guys hate (and be hated by) almost everyone, and let the little guys remain friends.

Lets pray that the new patch fixes this bug and doesnt create any new ones. :)

Started over as Byzantium again with all relations set to -100. Definitely fixed the casc alliance problem. (Also changed Byz to Fed Monarchy).

Quickly spread and fought hard war w/ Bithnyia took over. Then acted on guarantees to protect the tiny nations on the asia minor baltic coast (later conquered back), warred with Pontus..., intervened in greek colonial disputes. Tons of fun.

Did the same with regard to Argos vs. Achaen league/Macedonia. Took over mid achaia this way and small strip of islands from Macedonia. Then beefed up my small empire's army to a 20k stack in Asia minor (additional 8k regional troops in Minor and Achaia.) Then, Seluecid empire attacked my ally Pergamon and I got involved:*(

Over 30 massive fights ensued between Seleucid 15k-25k stacks and the Byzantine resistance force (Henceforth declared 'Strike Team Alpha' after the 7th Battle of Bithnyia) with the Seleucid manpower reduced from 92k to 25k after a 5 year war. (All units are now at +45% experience) Pergamon had been freed about 4 times by now, and I lost count of Seleucid casualties around 130k. Also some epic fleet battles in which the small 10 ship fleet took on a 32 ship Seleucid fleet and over a couple of engagements whittled it down to 10 ships (We lost and rebuilt 2 ships, captured one the 'Melquart' and lost 2 captains to brave fighting retreats). A amicable peace was declared after the annexation of Pergamon by the Seleucids. They're out of money and beginning to implode :)

Notes:
Started in 473 avc.
Carthage broke, realigned, and broke with Rome.
Ptolemaic Kingdom fought a 4 front war, annexed the Kush, ceded Judea/Sinai to Nabatea (which had pushed all the way into Alexandria) and declared peace w/ Cyrenaica.
Rome has 90% of Italy, waiting to take Brutii and Picentines. Gaul is in 5 medium gallic powers + coastal minors. Carthage colonizing and expanding.

Both games sound like real fun. The Greek nations are my favorites to play. Did you see that I have added the tiny island nation of Pharos in the Adriatic Sea. :D If I ever get around to map modding this area in detail, it will be a lot of fun.

Hmmm might have to take up the Argread challenge. Just need to work out how much handicap i need to give myself as egypt, they look pretty unstoppable as long as you control thier growth and dont try something stupid like taking the whole greek World on in an epic world war.

Is there a list anywhere with other formable nations in the mod or do you prefer us to find them out for ourselves.

Also other than trial and error is there a government flowchart kicking about ? So you know what tribe/rebublic/monarchy turns into what.

There is no list of nations that can be formed but I just made one. See this >thread<.

In the Epigoni mod directory there is a directory called "Other Documentation" there is some out of date information in there.