• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
20221219222556_1.jpg

Perhaps nothing special empire-wise, but I felt the urge to share a little war story about king Arnbjörn: blademaster, berserker, mystic, herbalist, poet, paragon, etc, etc.

As a child, Arnbjörn suffered a severe injury that required very many years to heal, and his health was affected to the point where I *cough* was less considering regarding putting him in harm's way, so to speak. But he recovered, and he has expanded his kingdom in a steady but not very fast pace during most of his reign. So, a couple of years after Arnbjörn had hit 60 I realised that he would be able to reform Asatrù if I just grabbed a third holy site. A chunk of the Danelaw was swiftly acquired and the faith reformed. I thought that would be the zenit of Arnbjörn's rule and life, but about a decade after reforming the faith the Asa-pope (I forget the actual title) decided to call a holy war for the catholic kingdom of East Francia (maybe you can guess its size...).

As the holy war seemed doomed to fail I decided to just throw some money at it as an excuse for not participating, but to my surprise the Scandinavian duke swarm did quite well, as the war target was bogged down by a liberty war as well. I then changed my mind and joined the war, nominated one of Arnbjörn's fairly lacklustre daughters as benificiary, raised the entire army, and marched off to East Francia. Soon the war was won, with me as the biggest contributor. Thus Karin, previously fated to loiter around the Swedish court for the rest of her life, suddently became ruling Asatrù queen of the kingdom of Germany. But fate would soon strike again! Less than a year later, Karin dies in childbirth, leaving two infant sons after her. I wasn't, and still isn't, up to date on the succession law of that new Asatrù kingdom, so I was very surprised to learn that Arnbjörn inherited it.

That's where we are now. Arnbjörn, king of Sweden, Germany and Pomerania (meh) is not long for this world, so the question is whether he should adopt the feudal ways or leave that to his grandson and heir (Arnbjörn's only son was murdered by the son's cousin, duke of Pomerelia, triggering a short and vengeful civil war for justice when trying to imprison said duke).

Edit: Arnbjörn trivia - as a berserker, he's proved capable of killing a bear, despite an advanced age (about 75 IIRC).

Also: Dat Sápmi o_o

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
1672098664403.png

An AI run game where i only set up the players in debug mode before starting the game. I changed some CoA's & Names to my liking however, but the gameplay was 99% done by the AI, i made no decisions (no forming kingdoms),led no wars, started no wars the only thing i did was arrange a few alliances in the beginning of the game.

Reformed Asatru, Tengri, Bidaic and Taltoist.

End game religion / dejure maps:

1672099150694.png

All the ragnarson's main houses have fallen there is 0 sigurdr,munsö,ivaring,oskyldr,hvitserk. Although they still have plenty of dynasty members & cadet branches. they have a total of 5 dukes in the sigurdr Dynasty 4 of which reside in the end game Scotland(Lothland) which now includes the northern isles & iceland alongside its normal dejure and 1 single duke of Lancaster.

Even with the help i gave Vikin/Haraldr Fairhair he could not manage his pledge of uniting norway, the Kingdom was instead created by a custom ruler i made in the duchy of Þrændalög in 1027 by King Kolbjörn Ingjaldrsson. The Noregr dynasty would only hold the kingdom for 53 years and two kings, the first king only ruling for a period of 7 years. The descendents of Harald Fairhair would inherit the throne in 1080 when King Hrólf was voted to become the next king of norway and his dynasty ruled until 1257 when the kingdom was invaded and destroyed. until 1320 the kingdom was under the rule of a Swedish custom dynasty of "Sleipnir" who attemted to create the Empire of Scandinavia holding Sweden,Denmark and now Norway but it would not last as upon the king's death his sons would split the kingdoms among themselves. in 1320 King Sigtrygg the kind united the Norway once again under the Yngling dynasty and his son ruled after him until 1417 when they were once again invaded by the sleipnir dynasty now styling themselves Empire of Scandinavia after the formation in 1414 which was inherited by his Son and then Grandson of another renowned dynasty the current rulers of Vanagandr(Ruthenia) which has been in their family without interruption since 1125 when they conquered it from the Rurikids who founded and ruled it from 1058.

The descendents of Harald, the Yngling Dynasty are also the Emperor of Ungarikí (Carpathian Empire),The King of Germany & Kings of Lothland (Scotland) and they are the most prominent family in the jomsriki Empire. holding every duchy besides the one held by the Emperor himself & one other. In total they hold 24 Duchies,2Kingdoms & 1 Empire. (1191 Members)

Danelaw negotiated in 870 and later changed to Daneland was created by Halfdan Hvítserk for the next 50 years his direct lineage would rule until his great-grandson Frierk the boy king drowned at the age of 13 and the kingdom would pass to the Noregr dynasty who was then the most prominent family in Norway in 932, yet still not kings in their own right.

from 932 until 1069 the Danelaw would be under the Noregr dynasty, which is when they consolidated all of england into the danelaw and thereby forming the Daneland. Which they ruled up until 1093 when the populus voted in King Grímr of the Yngling dynasty, him and his direct lineage ruled the Daneland and expanded until in Grímr the second,grandson of King Grímr the first declared himself the emperor of all of britannia in 1154, the dynasty would still rule the Daneland until 1196 when it reverted to the Noregr Dynasty.

The Empire of Britannia could only stay united for half a century, King Grímr had no surviving sons and his oldest daughter was declared Empress and ruled a total of 21 years before dying of old age. However the Empress Birgitta had taken a foreigner as husband in patrilineal marriage, despite him claiming descent of both the swedish king & the previous kings of Daneland from the Noregr dynasty he was raised in and as an lithuanian.

their son, Jovirdas nicknamed the Impaler a torturer,physician and berserker both flagilent & irritable was an unstable ruler, with the populus against him would manage to cling to the throne for 12 years before he died under mysterious circumstances.

The King's of Daneland would reclaim all the Emperor's territory besides the Kingdom Lothland ruled by the Yngling dynasty who had formed a strong alliance & mutual respect of eachother as they had ruled all of britannia for centuries combined and they still do until this day. Daneland (comprised of Wales,Ireland & England is one singular dejure kingdom) ruled by the Noregr dynasty while the Lothlands is ruled by the Ynglings who came into control of the lands when the Yngling would be Emperor conquered it and delegated the kingdom to his Son.

Start:
Ai overseer - Norse-Taltoist-Tengri-Bidiac Reformed.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
After a Victorian break from CK3, I'm back to playing medieval ruler. I decided to go for the Carolingian Consolidation achievement as the last Karling in France. That didn't take too long.
This is at the time where I took the Kingdom of France from my liege, who had simultaneously lost Acquitaine in an independence war.
E48AB6D7811BEA44DD6B6818271BB2A90537E4AC
And here in full glory the current (end of session) Empire of Francia:
912C6769653B4BFBCE70638FD5E86F605560BC10

Of course the English and Scottish exclave bother me, but that's just two wars away. After that, should I call it a day or should I go on and take the rest of the former HRE? Which by the way fell apart completely by itself.

Started as the count of Kranj in 867. Illyria is just renamed Croatia, I'm also pretty sure that I'm not the main character with how big the Abbasids are. Great Moravia did really good and Christianised Hungary, Poland, and Bohemia. Ashina is what came out of Kazaria after it collapsed oh, and Britany's Norse.
20221231153426_1.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm also pretty sure that I'm not the main character with how big the Abbasids are.
General life pro tip: the king/boss/guy on top is never the main character.

Reactions:
1672550157639.png

I just managed to dismantle the Papacy as the new year began.

Started as Olafr af Brest, went south to the Rif, converted to Almohadi, established the Almohadi Caliphate, created the Vandal culture as a hybrid Norse-Baranis culture, secured the Mediterranean (instead of Baleo-Tyrrhenia I called it the Barbary Kingdom) and conquered Italy, saving the Papacy for last.

1672550473221.png

And all just as the New Year hit. Nothing like dismantling the Papacy to Beethoven's Ode to Joy.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I should be able to win over the mongols when they overthrow their current rulers.
Started as a Karling, took over a duchy in Scandinavia. converted to Norse and asatru. varangian my way to county of Balkh. Hybrid culture of Norse and Afghan.
Converted to mazdayasna also. Took over a lot of Kingdoms. Created Bactria. Converted to Zunism, wanted a challenge.

I honestly got surprised seeing that Ruthenian kingdom follows the zunist faith. And kingdom of Moldavia. Like how, and why?
Plus they have a diverged a norse culture now called Ruthenian.

Attachments

• 002.png
    002.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 003.png
    003.png
    3,6 MB · Views: 0
  • 004.png
    004.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
View attachment 934097

Started as Olafr af Brest, went south to the Rif, converted to Almohadi, established the Almohadi Caliphate, created the Vandal culture as a hybrid Norse-Baranis culture, secured the Mediterranean (instead of Baleo-Tyrrhenia I called it the Barbary Kingdom) and conquered Italy, saving the Papacy for last.

View attachment 934099

And all just as the New Year hit. Nothing like dismantling the Papacy to Beethoven's Ode to Joy.
Thats awesome man. i saw the CoA and was like "brest" ? thats that one county guy in brittain right (i play a lot of vikings - biased af) and just disregarded it until i saw your coa,name etc and lastly read the text. im going to try my hand at a brest playthrough as well thanks to you. the other guys are a bit too strong in the hands of the player to be fun. (which sadly shows how bad the ai is that they need such massive help & still cant do something worthwhile)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Converted to mazdayasna also. Took over a lot of Kingdoms. Created Bactria. Converted to Zunism, wanted a challenge.

I honestly got surprised seeing that Ruthenian kingdom follows the zunist faith. And kingdom of Moldavia. Like how, and why?
Plus they have a diverged a norse culture now called Ruthenian.
This is probably the reason they changed religion to zunist, you probably passed by & have intermarried with them in some way & unreformed religions will adopt reformed religions at a higher phase now than earlier patches.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thats awesome man. i saw the CoA and was like "brest" ? thats that one county guy in brittain right (i play a lot of vikings - biased af) and just disregarded it until i saw your coa,name etc and lastly read the text. im going to try my hand at a brest playthrough as well thanks to you. the other guys are a bit too strong in the hands of the player to be fun. (which sadly shows how bad the ai is that they need such massive help & still cant do something worthwhile)
Yeah, he's like the one guy that's not OP as a Viking. I actually lost Léon to Cornwall, of all insults, but I had gotten established in the Rif by then and just didn't look back.

Incidentally, I did change the CoA from ᚹ to ᛒ because Brest begins with a B, not a W, but yeah, being Norse-Baranis is fun just for the drip.

1672603687029.png

Yeah, he's like the one guy that's not OP as a Viking. I actually lost Léon to Cornwall, of all insults, but I had gotten established in the Rif by then and just didn't look back.

Incidentally, I did change the CoA from ᚹ to ᛒ because Brest begins with a B, not a W, but yeah, being Norse-Baranis is fun just for the drip.

View attachment 934297
had to look up what "rif" was. never knew :) I didnt even realize you had that much land in north africa until later.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is probably the reason they changed religion to zunist, you probably passed by & have intermarried with them in some way & unreformed religions will adopt reformed religions at a higher phase now than earlier patches.

Had no idea it was made easier. There are still a lot of piety to collect even to switch. I had Baghdad as personal domain. It helped a lot for me to be fair.

Had no idea it was made easier. There are still a lot of piety to collect even to switch. I had Baghdad as personal domain. It helped a lot for me to be fair.
it isnt a "adopt faith" / "convert to faith" decision change, the ai pagan rulers will automatically be more inclined to change to a nearby reformed faith as a mechanic around 1050 or so. i dont think theres any piety involved.

View attachment 934097

View attachment 934099

May the brest man win?

1675550745411.png

1675550808514.png

1675550843639.png

@WJS

So i was inspired by Wjs's post going for a norse start that is a bit more challenging than the hæsteinn memer or the ragnarbros and started as count olafr of brest as well, i was dead set on taking a varangian adventure as that would be the most challenging, i could've grabbed land in wales and tried to secure myself there however that didnt seem fun enough so i set sail to Barcelona and started an attempt to secure a custom kingdom along the coastline from and including barcelona to provence. however that would not happen as my half brother would eventually inherit the Welsh-Hæsteining crown and as the hæsteinning would in rapid succession be murdered or die of natural causes until my then half brother sat the throne, when he died i inherited the kingdom of Wales.

King Rikulfr the first "the mountain king" would champion the Eza Zaharra and make its followers eventually expunge the pope from his seat in rome.

and... scandinavia is all Ash'ari..

1675551098861.png

Attachments

• 1675550773453.png
    1675550773453.png
    3,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
what? XD could only find something about dutch monks lol
You mentioned the men from the city of Brest, I mentioned the men from the city of Assen. The Brest men and the Assen men seem to have a fundamental divide, in my opinion, though hopefully they can learn to live in peace despite this.

;)