• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

ThePettyQueen

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Feb 15, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
The Slavic Union and the Russian Empire are both rare in the game in that creating either one of them grants special game-technical benefits. :)

If you form the Slavic Union you will get a bloodline.

The holder of the Russian Empire has the ability to upgrade tribes to castles with only a tier 1 hillfort (instead of the usual tier 4 requirement). This is because its supposed to be a representation of the Russian tsardom come early and enable you to "colonize" eastward into Asia as the Russian Empire did. :)

I'd recommend deciding on which benefit is better for you and go for that one. :)
Whichever I do, I'll most likely do the other in a different play-through, so right now I'm thinking about who else I want to try playing as. Might be fun to form the SU as Polish or Bohemian - Russia doesn't offer options like that. Bloodline is nice, but I already forged one and married in two others, and haven't done a legendary journey yet. So... it's currently leaning towards Russia.

Who did you start as?
Dobrava of Kiev. I'd AAR it, except I have no screenshots from the first two rulers.

DPS

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Feb 4, 2002
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Dobrava of Kiev. I'd AAR it, except I have no screenshots from the first two rulers.hA
I was going to say, "Nice job rolling back the nomads" but you don't appear to have Horse Lords. Still a good job, but tbh, I don't know if it's possible to do that well as Kiev in the 769 start with HL active, at least not without a lot of cheese and exploits.

As for whether to stay as Rus or go SU, mechanically, given what I see on the map, you don't need the special ability Karlington mentioned and the bloodline for forming the SU would be more useful to you, but you might want to stay as Rus for RP reasons.

Have you reformed the faith and gotten your holy order yet? If so, they may hold some baronies you need to form the SU, and that can be tricky. You don't really want to expel them , but you might not be able to own all the required baronies without doing so, unless you convert to another faith.

eastcoastceojam

Colonel
39 Badges
Mar 21, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
The holder of the Russian Empire has the ability to upgrade tribes to castles with only a tier 1 hillfort (instead of the usual tier 4 requirement). This is because its supposed to be a representation of the Russian tsardom come early and enable you to "colonize" eastward into Asia as the Russian Empire did. :)

This is a great tip, Karlington. Thanks for sharing.

If I ever decide to try again for the "Never Start a Land War in Asia" achievement, I'm definitely going to try to form the Empire of Rus along the way. If I deactivate the Horse Lords DLC, the Steppe should be tribal the whole way from Lithuania to Mongolia. Based on what you said above, the Rus Emperor I should be able to quickly convert tribes to feudal settlements, which would help greatly with supply and levies when moving East.

Let me know if I'm thinking of this correctly.

ThePettyQueen

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Feb 15, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
I was going to say, "Nice job rolling back the nomads" but you don't appear to have Horse Lords. Still a good job, but tbh, I don't know if it's possible to do that well as Kiev in the 769 start with HL active, at least not without a lot of cheese and exploits.

As for whether to stay as Rus or go SU, mechanically, given what I see on the map, you don't need the special ability Karlington mentioned and the bloodline for forming the SU would be more useful to you, but you might want to stay as Rus for RP reasons.

Have you reformed the faith and gotten your holy order yet? If so, they may hold some baronies you need to form the SU, and that can be tricky. You don't really want to expel them , but you might not be able to own all the required baronies without doing so, unless you convert to another faith.
Yeah, it's a nomad-free lifestyle for me!

Faith is reformed, and holy order already vassalized. Same culture, head of faith, de jure territory - no trouble at all.

If I ever decide to try again for the "Never Start a Land War in Asia" achievement, I'm definitely going to try to form the Empire of Rus along the way. If I deactivate the Horse Lords DLC, the Steppe should be tribal the whole way from Lithuania to Mongolia. Based on what you said above, the Rus Emperor I should be able to quickly convert tribes to feudal settlements, which would help greatly with supply and levies when moving East.

Empire of Rus and Empire of Russia are two separate things, actually. You need to hold Rus in order to form Russia, which is the one that grants the special ability - and Russia is huge. It's pretty much what I hold on that screenshot (minus a few bits in the west) plus everything up to the Ural mountains. Including Crimea, which usually means having to go up against the Byzantines - although by the time you hold all the rest, you're probably strong enough to handle them anyway.

You can see the requirements here.

Reactions:

Karlington

Field Marshal
71 Badges
May 1, 2017
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Rome Gold
You're welcome. :)

I believe so, yes. As you mentioned turning off Horse Lords will ensure all the nomads become tribal, and with the special ability to upgrade tribes into castles at tier 1 hillforts instead of tier 4 you should be able to save some time and money. :)

Though remember this:
Yeah, it's a nomad-free lifestyle for me!

Faith is reformed, and holy order already vassalized. Same culture, head of faith, de jure territory - no trouble at all.

Empire of Rus and Empire of Russia are two separate things, actually. You need to hold Rus in order to form Russia, which is the one that grants the special ability - and Russia is huge. It's pretty much what I hold on that screenshot (minus a few bits in the west) plus everything up to the Ural mountains. Including Crimea, which usually means having to go up against the Byzantines - although by the time you hold all the rest, you're probably strong enough to handle them anyway.

You can see the requirements here.
It's only the empire of Russia that has the special ability. The empire of Rus does not.

I can't let this opportunity pass without mentioning that I have a guide to forming the Russian Empire in my signature - or here, if you don't have signatures showing. :)

Reactions:

eastcoastceojam

Colonel
39 Badges
Mar 21, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
Empire of Rus and Empire of Russia are two separate things, actually. You need to hold Rus in order to form Russia, which is the one that grants the special ability - and Russia is huge. It's pretty much what I hold on that screenshot (minus a few bits in the west) plus everything up to the Ural mountains. Including Crimea.

It's only the empire of Russia that has the special ability. The empire of Rus does not.

I can't let this opportunity pass without mentioning that I have a guide to forming the Russian Empire in my signature

Thanks to both of you for pointing out this important detail. I was guessing that Rus and Russia were the same thing, but that notion couldn't be more wrong.

Below is a screenshot from the 867 start. In addition to the highlighted kingdoms making up the Empire of Rus, you would also need the following kingdoms to form the Empire of Russia:

Empire of Rus - Chernigov, Galicia-Volhynia, Novgorod, Ruthenia, Vladimir
Empire of Russia - all of the above, plus Nenetsia, Perm, Volga Bulgaria, Khazaria, Alania, Crimea. You also need Russian culture.

To get the "Never Start a Land War in Asia" achievement, I need to start in Western Europe. I was thinking about using the Duke of Pomerania in 867. He is the easternmost ruler in the CK2 Western Europe region. He is already Feudal, has a great cultural retinue, and close to the Romuva holy sites. I could switch religions, reform the Romuva faith, and then use Pagan county conquests and Holy Wars to fight my way across the Steppe. If I select Proselytizing when I reform the faith, that should help spread my religion fairly quickly post-conquest.

But at some point, I will need to get Russian culture to form the Empire title. How does that work exactly? Will it spawn automatically once lands of East Slavic culture (Ilmenian, Severian, Volhynian) convert to a reformed faith? Or will I have convert my own culture to East Slavic first, then wait for an event/decision to become Russian?

empire_of_rus_867.jpg

DPS

Field Marshal
22 Badges
Feb 4, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
But at some point, I will need to get Russian culture to form the Empire title. How does that work exactly? Will it spawn automatically once lands of East Slavic culture (Ilmenian, Severian, Volhynian) convert to a reformed faith? Or will I have convert my own culture to East Slavic first, then wait for an event/decision to become Russian?
It doesn't matter what faith the provinces themselves are; they'll start flipping to Russian as long as the ruler himself (or herself) isn't an unreformed pagan. But you don't actually have to reform the faith first, because they'll also start flipping if the ruler isn't of East Slavic or Finno-Ugric culture.

Reactions:

ThePettyQueen

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Feb 15, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
To get the "Never Start a Land War in Asia" achievement, I need to start in Western Europe. I was thinking about using the Duke of Pomerania in 867. He is the easternmost ruler in the CK2 Western Europe region. He is already Feudal, has a great cultural retinue, and close to the Romuva holy sites. I could switch religions, reform the Romuva faith, and then use Pagan county conquests and Holy Wars to fight my way across the Steppe. If I select Proselytizing when I reform the faith, that should help spread my religion fairly quickly post-conquest.
Another potential start would be any Germanic pagan - there are a few starting in Western Europe in 769 (Saxony), 867 (British Isles & Brittany), and even some in 936, although they're weaker - and use the coastal county conquest to gain a foothold in the Baltics and expand rapidly. Once there, you can switch to Suomenusko or Romuva for easy reformation if you want to avoid gavelkind. (Romuva, of course, doesn't even need to be reformed to get eldership.) If you choose to be Norse, you could combine it with the Norse East achievement - you'd just have to swap back to Norse culture after forming Russia, which should be easy enough if you have eldership.

Reactions: