• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@safe-keeper Here are some assets that I suggest for your small town:
1x2 Local Fire House & 1x2 Local Security Post.png

1x2 Local Fire House

Stats (compare to normal fire house)

Cost: 2.000$ (12.000$)
Upkeep: 112$ (560$)
Water: 80 m3 (480 m3)
Electric 144 kW (720 kW)
Fire engine: 1 (6)
Range: 100 (700)

1x2 Local Security Post

Stats (compare to police station)

Cost: 2.000$ (12.000$)
Upkeep: 112$ (480$)
Water: 80 m3 (240 m3)
Electric 144 kW (640 kW)
Police car: 2 (10)
Holding cell: 5 (20)
Range: 100 (700)

Created by Useless Noodle

Tiny Recycling Centre.png

Tiny Recycling Centre

Stats:
Upkeep: 160 / week
Cost: 2000
Water: 0
Electricity: 16 kw
Processing Rate: 12,000 / week
Garbage Trucks: 3

No regular pollution only some noise pollution, 15 I think it was?

Created by eyesrhea

It looks very nice, kind of rustic looking, but the last screenshot with the jet in it kind of looks out of place. But very well done.
Thank you :) .

@safe-keeper Here are some assets that I suggest for your small town:
Thanks a lot, but I've decided the town is big enough to just have the regular health/police facilities. I did find a library that was a bit smaller than the vanilla one, though :) .
I'll have a look at the recycling centre, though :) .

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, I think I'd be interested in a small library too. If you've tested it and it works, then I wouldn't mind checking it out myself.
Here's the one I went with.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I posted a long while back that I wanted a mini-DLC of mini buildings. Small fire halls and police stations and other things for tiny remote towns. Would still like it.

Reactions:
I posted a long while back that I wanted a mini-DLC of mini buildings. Small fire halls and police stations and other things for tiny remote towns. Would still like it.
I agree. There is still much opportunity for more DLC's. Alot of the mods like better trafic and transit and better U.I. could all be incorporated into a DLC, or several small DLC's with their own version, or contracts with the mod creators.

Or like you said, small buildings in perhaps a "Small Towns Skylines" DLC.

Yeah, CS is made with only big cities in mind, sadly. The narrowest roads have four lanes (two lanes + parking lanes on each sides), the utility buildings are mostly large, and parks are just crazy huge.

This has improved somewhat over the years, like how there's now a train stop that's not a huge station, and the warehouse has a small version that's just a fenced-in lot, but I'm still really glad we have the smaller versions of various assets in the workshop. Edit: not to mention roads. Those narrow roads are lifesavers.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm considering making a separate thread for Selja, so as not to spam this one, but for the time being ;) ...

The bridge to Selja, with a lookout point for pedestrians and tourists.
20201025204025_1.jpg

Boat life. I added a quay and some tiny 'boat houses' and two 'rails' for putting boats on the water to an existing neighbourhood, I found it added a lot to the atmosphere.
20201025203106_1.jpg

The Selja library and kulturhus, or 'culture house', in front of the high school. A library that doubles as a kind of club house for cultural activities and events such as concerts.

20201025212106_1.jpg

Current footprint. I've used the park system from Parklife to add hiking trails that the cims will (or at least should) actually use.
20201025212248_1.jpg

I'm so glad for the positive feedback this build has gotten in this thread, I'm going through some tough times and this has been good for me.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@safe-keeper Go ahead, spam away! That's looking good in your town!

Here's more of Roesone. Yes, I'm a fan of airships. :p
I haven't built the Graf Zeppelin hanger yet, though I've spent many hours 'landscaping' a small mountain for it. That hanger is larger than the airport! Really gives a scale of these airships and the support infrastructure. The creator of this made them 1:1 for the simulation environment.

The Zeppelins continue transit service in the city of Roesone all day...
(I've actually tweaked this and much of my other transit systems and lines to be more efficient)
Zep 01.png

Graf IV: Approaching the forestry district to let off the night shift and pick up the day shift.
Zep 02.png

I love the golden sheen from the rain and reflected sunset!!!
Zep 03.png

Graf II meanwhile returning to Airship Pad One.
Zep 04.png

Graf IV: Landed in the Greenwood forestry district next to a "Go Nuts Doughnuts" blimp. Heh heh!
Zep 05.png

Early next morning in Roesone...
Zep 00.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love the golden sheen from the rain and reflected sunset!!!
I always thought Cities Skylines looked the best during rainfall. It feels a lot more atmospheric, and as you say, the reflections are really nice.

Reactions:
One thing I felt Selja was lacking was a characteristic row of boathouses you find along the Norwegian coastline. The Norwegian naust is most often quite small, very often red, always made of wood, and sometimes furnished inside for family nights or even habitation, making them little cabins as well as storage buildings for boats.

The two left-most thumbnails are from Øygarden, the belt of islands west of Bergen. If you are ever in Bergen, the islands are always worth a visit, particularly if you rent a car and can really go exploring. The villages are pittoresque, the landscape itself is really special, with few trees and windswept rolling hills, and of course a view of the Atlantic Ocean, there is an American diner, you can hike mount Liatårnet and get one of the most spectacular views of the municipality, and there's even a WWII museum commemorating the brave sailors who ferried resistance people, supplies, and refugees between Norway and England. There's also plenty of room for hiking and pitching a tent.
Inspirasjon 3.JPG Inspirasjon liten.jpg Inspirasjon 2.jpg

Now, with the tourism pitch out of the way, let's see what Selja has in store for us today!

Naustrekka, a backyard soccer field, and an old bridge that is no more

So here is Selja's row of boathouses, simply called Naustrekka, or Boathouse Row, by the locals. It turned out to be somewhat tricky to get good screenshots of due to its length :p . I have to tell you, though, detailing this pittoreque row of boathouses was so much fun.
20201030002357_1.jpg

They may not look like much, in fact it possibly just looks like a row of 1x1 houses, but to me this is such an integral part of Norwegian culture.
20201030002300_1.jpg

Random backyard detailing. I like to add trampolines, benches, swing sets and barbeque grills, but I find that this easily makes all the backyards and areas between houses look too alike. Sometimes it seems to be enough to just add a pair of soccer goals.
20201030005730_1.jpg

For those having problems translating the Playstation 2 graphics, the white specks are supposed to be flowers :p

Sunset idyll.
20201029150516_1.jpg

My take at an old demolished bridge. This used to be the connection to the island. Now, like the old graveyard, it's become part of Selja's history. I can picture the local kids hiking out here and swimming out to climb the pylons, for then to hang out on top with a great view of the surroundings. Then if the river's deep enough, they probably dare each others to jump or dive off.

I dream of somehow exporting this town, buildings and all, to Unity or some other engine and making some kind of Night in the Woods-style game set in the town. If I did, I'd totally have the characters climb one of the pylons with a backpack's worth of snacks and have one of the game's conversations take place up there at some point.

20201030005947_1.jpg

The footprint again. You can see the new row of naust along the edge of the outermost island. I love how 'interconnected' everything is starting to feel, as in, you can be in some remote part of the town, but you can still look across the river at some other neighbourhood, harbour, or hiking trail.
20201030010707_1.jpg

Last bus to Naustrekka.
20201030010812_1.jpg

By the way, taking these screenshots finally prompted me to get some smaller buses from the workshop. No more giant tour buses to service this tiny backwater town :p !

Edit: funny I should go with "Selja" for my town's name. I looked up the actual place the town is named after, and it turns out it's the name of a specific monastery - and I've actually been there.

Selja kloster.png

I went there with my class on an excursion with my folk college way back when. We rode a boat to the island and got a guided tour with a history of the monastery. We were shown a spring that would make you one day younger when you drank from it. We were told that the first person to ring the bell would get good luck (I seem to recall), so some of the students raced each others up the spiral staircase in the tower to ring the bell. A couple students rigged a tightrope between two walls in the ruins. Selja is one of my fondest memories from that school year.

I guess it was meant to be.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you are ever in Bergen, the islands are always worth a visit, particularly if you rent a car and can really go exploring.

I was in Bergen in 2017. Working on a boat, so I had only one brief chance to look around. I stayed one night in the Scandic Neptun hotel before boarding the vessel (Skandi Neptune). I'm a burger guy, and I asked at the front desk where to go. He told me about the "Inside Rock Cafe". Not much to look at, but I did really enjoy my burger. Walked around a bit, saw Varg Veum.

Wish I had had more time. Got on the boat the next day, and although it stayed in Bergen for awhile, they didn't want us getting off. I didn't get off until it was in Kristiansand. Flew home from there.

Reactions:
I like the buildings along the river.

Edit: really, the city looks great in that first shot where you see it at an angle. I like how the streets follow the terrain so well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I like the buildings along the river.

Edit: really, the city looks great in that first shot where you see it at an angle. I like how the streets follow the terrain so well.
:) Thank you very much. I took a break from C:S for a while to explore transport fever 2, and that game trains you to follow height lines, especially with train tracks.
Still practicing making my city growth as "organic" as possible -- by which I mostly mean expand in small steps and avoid zoned industry wherever I can.
That city got almost completely wiped out by tsunamis twice btw, I almost had to quit the game because I was 200k in debt in a very early phase.
I also find it kind of funny that this (a little over 10k inhabitants) is the point where bus lines already start to become overcrowded even at 200% budget.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For whoever is interested, and want to see what Selja is like on modern graphics :p , below is the save file. Enjoy!
(For assets, go into the content manager -> save files, then hit "Subscribe all" next to the Selja save file)

20201107000907_1.jpg

20201107001453_1.jpg

Attachments

• Selja upload.crp
    4,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: