• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

squid881

Sergeant
16 Badges
Dec 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Ugh. I don't know how it's even possible. Look, victories like Neva are COMPLETELY impossible in this game. The battles are all about the numbers, and the Russians never seem to run out of men, no matter how many of them I kill. They'll lose a quarter of their army while I'll lose almost nothing and I'll still lose. I'm not running low on manpower, but I can't afford a 100k man army as Sweden. I managed to WP Poland but Russia is utterly unstoppable. Their armies run like cowards when chased by a superior force, like all AI armies, leading me to have to run all around through Russia trying to destroy them. Has anyone done it? If so, how?

Ugh. I don't know how it's even possible. Look, victories like Neva are COMPLETELY impossible in this game. The battles are all about the numbers, and the Russians never seem to run out of men, no matter how many of them I kill. They'll lose a quarter of their army while I'll lose almost nothing and I'll still lose. I'm not running low on manpower, but I can't afford a 100k man army as Sweden. I managed to WP Poland but Russia is utterly unstoppable. Their armies run like cowards when chased by a superior force, like all AI armies, leading me to have to run all around through Russia trying to destroy them. Has anyone done it? If so, how?

Well, I've never been in your situation, but I will tell that it's not a good idea to chase Russia's armies into their land, especially if it's winter! What exactly are you trying to achieve? You'd need to give more details for a more helpful response.

If you were trying to take Neva, what I would do, (I believe there are two adjacent provinces that belong to Sweden de facto?), is land an army in Neva, as large as you can field without going over the supply limit, and then do the same with the provinces behind Neva. If they try to attack your besieging army you can simply toss-in the bystanders, and if you're Quality, I assume, than it would be likely for you to win. Once you have Neva, if you have money and spies, I would support revolts all over Russia, and naturally, their armies would divulge and eventually deal with the rebels, giving you headway to go a little deeper, and take the provinces adjacent to Neva, with the same system of guarding your besieging armies from behind.

I would never, ever, fight a war of attrition with them, though. Since in most cases it would take nearly a month to go from province to province, leaving you succumb to serious attrition casualties, and their morale would never break.

Well, I don't know what on Earth I'm trying to do. I'm not sure what the point is in this particular war. I guess white peace? I don't see a victory as a plausible outcome. My question is, has anyone managed to decisively defeat the Russians and take their land in this scenario? I don't think it's reasonable to attack them in their land, for the reasons you mentioned. For some reason, Sweden is nearly full Quantity around 1705. The problem involving the bystanders method is they still outnumber me and tend to win before my reinforcements arrive. If I order the reinforcements in on time, they'll call off the attack.

Are you still in 5.1 or did you do the BETA 5.2? In 5.2, you can't regain troops quite as fast. If you decisively beat the Russians and kill their soldiers, they'll need a long time to rebuild their army. But then again, so will you.

Use karl XII for christ sake! Bunker yourself in Finland and sorch some land like the russian does! It is really easy to defeat them as Sweden. I have never failed.

And don't even think about entering Russia until they have a huge war exhaustion and you've killed alot of their troops.

-lure them into your territory
-scorch (if they start sieging, you won)
-get small army into their territory and siege their provinces for WE
-split your armies and run when you see their doomstack
-if they split, hunt smaller stack
-when russian armies are weakened, attack
-use terrain (-1 roll penalty for forest and -1 for crossing a river)
-use navy (moving armies, port blockade)

I agree with gela 1212 - defense is the way to go. I'd actually fall back and let them beseige parts of Finland - they have the numbers, but attrition will turn that on its head. Let them advance in winter, strike back in spring.

i usually would scorch most of finland,occupy norway give poland a couple baltic provinces so they'll leave me alone(can always redo the great deluge at a later date) and then focus on russia....one thing i did do was enter the event for quality.....sweden being full quantity = :(

and yes Karl VII = amazing

i usually would scorch most of finland,occupy norway give poland a couple baltic provinces so they'll leave me alone(can always redo the great deluge at a later date) and then focus on russia....one thing i did do was enter the event for quality.....sweden being full quantity = :(

and yes Karl VII = amazing

XII* He is not the 7th, but the 12th Karl.