• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kallocain

Executive Producer
22 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Divine Wind
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Legio
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Please update the driver for your graphics card. This seems the fix the most common crash, so try that first, even if your driver is rather recent. The very latest can make a big difference.

I agree with this idea. And also an automatic save at the end of the battle. So if it crashed at the victory screen you wouldn't have to repeat the mission.

I also have the latest nVidia driver, and still get the crash after the first mission. Quite disappointing. :(

Please update the driver for your graphics card. This seems the fix the most common crash, so try that first, even if your driver is rather recent. The very latest can make a big difference.
While this is good general advice, Kallocain, and the stock answer of tech support anywhere, it isn't particularly relevant to the crashes we have reported since the majority of those who have posted in the crash thread and provided details are running GeForce cards that are already using the very latest released driver 258.96 (Driver file 8.17.0012.5896)

As such, while it might fix any number of other crash issues that haven't been reported in detail, it will not fix the most common crash amongst those who have reported it.

I really hope that Neocore has a couple of GeForce cards available using the latest drivers and are trying to reproduce the crash. (Of course, we have a single ATI report as well and nowhere near enough reports to say whether it is just coincidence that the reports are mostly GeForce, but one can always hope).

Last edited:
I have the latest driver for my GTX 470 and still experience crashes at the end of missions. The fact that a launcher workaround has worked for some should be the key to fixing it.
Not necessarily given the nature of the workaround. It is a mere 5 bytes changed in the header information having to do with memory usage IIRC. Shuffling around stuff may prevent a problem from arising for some people without being relevant to tracking down the problem. I'm not saying it isn't helpful in this case (I obviously don't know), it might be, but there's absolutely nothing that guarantees that it is helpful or key to fixing what is actually wrong.

We are at square zero until Neocore, as developers, weigh in with the result of their tests; Until then Kallocain will do his best to tread water to keep us pacified but is unlikely to be able to do anything more; not because of a lack of goodwill on his part but because it is very limited what he can do except come with general advice and folk wisdom.

If we are lucky a fix will become available within a week or three that will help most of us. Their last game before this, King Arthur, which uses much the same game engine as this game*, suffered from unexplained battle crashes too and had several of them fixed through four patches over the first few months after release, but when patching stopped there were still some remaining that rendered the game unplayable for some of their customers - there's only so much time a small developer can afford to allocate to solve crash problems, even if it means that some customers will never be able to play the game they have paid for - it is either that or starve.

Sorry for being a downer, but the idea that Neocore will be able to fix what is wrong with their graphics engine or that any observations we can make is key to doing so is not, unfortunately, supported by recorded history. I am sure they'll do their best, though, and with a bit of luck most of us who currently have crash problems will end up playing the game with few crash problems. :)

* It is so much a development using the same game engine that the lionheart.exe's fileinfo proudly proclaims itself to be King Arthur - the Role Playing Wargame with the original file name of kingarthur.exe, (C) 2009, v1.0.0.1 - the exact same information that the latest KA exe proclaims. :D It really is funny the legacy information one can sometimes find in the executable of a new game. :)

Last edited:
I saw someone, say "she" when referring to Kallocain in another thread?
Entirely possible.

I don't know or remember the gender of all posters on these forums, not even all Paradox employees. Even when I do know the gender of a poster, I use the grammatically correct pronoun for non-gender specific, "he", in all cases except those where I am damn sure the poster in question is a woman and know that she has stated so in public on the forum and is fine with this information being spread. :)

It says sad things about human behaviour, perhaps, but there are just too many men stalking female posters on internet forums to go around using gender-revealing language under other circumstances.

i use the Nvidia driver 260.89 and don't get any crashes with my GTS 450
the only thing i had once was a graphic glitch, it was gone after a restart of the game, but i must say that i don't had problems with KA (unlike many others), my pc seems to like Neocore games :)

Ok. Here's how to modify your game .exe files to handle more than 2Gb memory. This was posted for a similar battle crash bug with KA (the game).

Hey,

had the same problem, none of the solutions posted here worked for me. (Reducing resolution, testing different drivers, running in compatibility mode, ...)

Then I stumbled upon this:
- download "cff explorer 7"
- open the .exe-file for king arthur (I also did this with the steam.exe file, not sure if that's necessary though) with cff explorer
- Go to NT Headers / File Header, click on "click here" (lower right)
- check the box "app can handle >2GB - voilà!

(in hindsight, that might explain why it was more prone to crash when graphics settings were high. And why it was more prone to crash after two or three battles than after the first one: Some weird memory bug.)

... that did it for me - haven't had a crash since. Seems the memory managament of Windows Vista was at fault. (I also disabled "Superfetch", don't know if that had anything to do with it though.

Hope that helps some of you guys, cheers, Catullus

I tried that for KA a while ago and it fixed my end-battle crash bug. I will try it with Lionheart as well and report back on success. I will also try to run my game on my secondary computer with an ATI video card (i use gtx260 right now). Please report back with possible solutions you have found while the devs work on a patch. Please do a fair bit of testing before posting back with results (as in try 3-4 missions in sequence without a crash).

I tried that for KA a while ago and it fixed my end-battle crash bug. I will try it with Lionheart as well and report back on success.
Already tested it back on Sunday (since I too played KA and knew of Neocore's crash record) and it didn't help me. Setting the flag is also part of eagleFMJ's edited launcher posted in the crash thread, which helps some and not others.

Please post your DXDiag in the this thread in case of crashes.

Given the fact that the Saracen Campaign is fully functional it is likely nothing to do with video drivers or memory access. Best bet is that the bug is tied into the reward system incorporated into the Crusader Campaign (specifically with regards to the crash following the victory screen). As a side note, I lauched the game using LionHeartMulti.exe and noticed that the "muddied" look affecting the graphics dissappeared. The game looks much better using this.