• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[post=15726843]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 32

Miriam had in fact been rescued by Walcott’s facility on Long Island. As a cover story, for her parent’s deaths, it was made known to the orphanage she was sent to that they had died in automobile accident.

A few months later she was adopted, and would grow up with a sound mind, as well as a healthy, and well-adjusted young woman.

Although Miriam was actually five years old when she returned to her timeline, she had the mental capacity of a thirty year old. She would never divulged the truth of how her parent’s died, keeping her promise in order for Walcott to agree to sending her back in time some years in the future.

Walcott agreed with one provision, "if and when you wanted to travel back in time you would have to go back with your husband," he told her. That way, Walcott was hopefully assured she wouldn’t be a bother to Range.

Twenty years, Mariam returned for that journey with her new husband. Their destination, Scotland.

Sadly, her husband was killed in Scotland. She never returned as Walcott lost track of her and couldn't possibly retrieve her. And, for those of you following along through all of Range's journeys, you know the rest of the story. She would eventually become a great pain in Range's life...yet, in many ways misunderstood and under-appreciated by him.

5bbig3.jpg

Edo proved to be a very lucrative market…

2qnzllv.jpg

Three new provinces.

ipcu8o.jpg

But, Portugal wasn’t going to stop there.

9r5211.jpg

New troops…where are they going?

spb2bd.jpg

Ah…that’s where.

Last edited:
Hmmm, will this be a last minute attempt to spring Jerusalem from the Ottomans, a renewed crusade?

I wonder if the quest is in Tomas' book. He's been keeping the book closed these past years. Yet, maybe I shouldn't think anything of it.

[post=15736842]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 33

To recapture Judea was actually an afterthought for Range. It was owned by the Mameluks. But, he noticed that the province of Judea stood apart from the rest of the Mameluks' provinces, and Range believed he could take it. Besides every other Islamic country already hated the Portuguese because of the wars that had been fought in their region why not all of them.

The war also brought Persia and Oman into the fray.

Still, even though he wanted to take Judea, Range was growing tired of war. He quickly signed a white peace with Persia to get a major enemy off their backs, which left Oman and of course the Mameluks to contend with. Oman was no threat, but Range had no idea how tough the Mameluks were.

qrwyhh.jpg

After a large force of Mameluks defending the territory were wiped out, taking the small fort wasn’t difficult. Of course it could have been taken more quickly if it was stormed. But, the thought of the cost in troops to do so, held Range back.

2j5l05d.jpg

It fell…and, Judea was soon turned over to Portugal.

maasrc.jpg

Now, it was a matter of holding onto it.

Last edited:
Now, there is only time for quick wars.

Two nice quick wars. We're really going down to the wire here - are these wars desperate landgrabs, or is there some rationale behind it? I'm looking forward to finding out what else,you can do in four odd years.

Interesting to see something about Miriam as well - the more we learn about Range, the more complex he becomes.

Two nice quick wars. We're really going down to the wire here - are these wars desperate landgrabs, or is there some rationale behind it? I'm looking forward to finding out what else,you can do in four odd years.

Interesting to see something about Miriam as well - the more we learn about Range, the more complex he becomes.

Yeah...Range is complex all right. Maybe more can brought out about him if I play Poland.

As for land grabs, I was never into that. But, if a country declares war on me, they're going to pay for it...usually with the loss of land.

The taking of the Holy Lands was a natural...Come to think of it so are Samaria and Altair (in North America)...both of which are governed by Persia. Persia doesn't belong in North America.

Last edited:
[post=15748569]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 34

2mwupt4.jpg

I knew I should have taken Altair a century ago. Right now, Persia owns it. I’m going to have to change that.

w9io2g.jpg

Nope…I can’t declare war on Persia directly…too costly.

atvua0.jpg

But, I can declare war on the Netherlands. Persia is their ally.

2yy9gfk.jpg

As the war progresses I could get Kentucky…but, if I accept the offer the war with Persia is over. So, no…

s4nvrr.jpg

Oh, yeah…France was also an ally of the Netherlands.

To be continued:

And all to keep Persia out of the New World?

Thank God some other people are as obsessive about realism in their games. I thought it was just me ;)

And all to keep Persia out of the New World?

Thank God some other people are as obsessive about realism in their games. I thought it was just me ;)

Yeah...it just didn't seem right them being there.

Probably Range justified it to his peons in the government that they can't have Muslims there tempting all those Indians from paganism to the wrong kind of monotheism. But we all know the real reasons. ;)

Some things just seem wrong for the time.

[post=15766886]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 35

The world saw The Netherlands and France join the war on the side of Persia….very strange.

kdpi5v.jpg

But, that didn’t help Persia.

2j32nte.jpg

Not only did the Persians lose Altair, but they also lost Samaria.

n483us.jpg

As for France…a simple stroll by the Portuguese took its toll on the French. .

2z7kg86.jpg

Finally…Finally…

wvya9t.jpg

The Netherlands also felt the pain…but, they didn’t cede Kentucky.

Two more entries to follow.

Last edited:
Only two more before Range shuffles off the immortal coil for adventures elsewhere, and yet more happens in Portugal. The French and Dutch seek to avert even stronger Portuguese consolidation of the new world and fail, the Netherlands being on the receiving of the Shawinigan handshake, and Portugal moves into the Middle East. Can we not extend Range's employment and see if he can consolidate Syria and the fertile crescent and Jerusalem together under Iberiphone control? Someone make him an offer he can't refuse!

Only two more to go? I'll give you credit – you've certainly not rushed the ending. And, for that, I thank you.

War with France and the Nethelands seems to be no problem. Everything is looking good as Portugal heads into her final stretch – will you be able to get Kentucky in the time you have left? Does the game end in January '92, or December '92?

Only two more before Range shuffles off the immortal coil for adventures elsewhere, and yet more happens in Portugal. The French and Dutch seek to avert even stronger Portuguese consolidation of the new world and fail, the Netherlands being on the receiving of the Shawinigan handshake, and Portugal moves into the Middle East. Can we not extend Range's employment and see if he can consolidate Syria and the fertile crescent and Jerusalem together under Iberiphone control? Someone make him an offer he can't refuse!

Oh, there are other journeys. But, let Entry 37 play out.

Only two more to go? I'll give you credit – you've certainly not rushed the ending. And, for that, I thank you.

War with France and the Nethelands seems to be no problem. Everything is looking good as Portugal heads into her final stretch – will you be able to get Kentucky in the time you have left? Does the game end in January '92, or December '92?

It wouldn't be right to just end the game. But, no Kentucky is not in the cards. Sadly, the game will end 30 December 1792. Oh, what I wouldn't give for another 129 years.

[post=15784470]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 36

33ayqhe.jpg

The Persians are gone from the new world. But, what I wouldn’t want to give for another 100 years or so.

2vud5vn.jpg

At least I did free the Holy Land.

r2lt00.jpg

I missed taking Sinapore...by one colonist...he failed.

s5uzd4.jpg

Here’s the rest of the world map.

4idco1.jpg

I told you I didn’t care about points. I lied…I won…I won…I won.

During a grand ball, an elder Portuguese statesman cornered Range. “I do wish you would remain. There’s so much more to be done.”

Range smiled. As he turned his head, his eyes caught a glimpse of an old friend. His friend soon motioned with head for Range to follow him into the hall.

The Conclusion – To Follow.

A continuation into Vicky 1, perhaps?

Very well done Range – this has been an immensely enjoyable AAR. Congratulations on winning, as well.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

A continuation into Vicky 1, perhaps?

Very well done Range – this has been an immensely enjoyable AAR. Congratulations on winning, as well.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion.

Vicky 1...that would be nice. But, no.

And, thank you very much for following along.