• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too bad Balucht doesn't have a port, that would be useful.

The papacy obviously has been held by a lot of Spaniards in this timeline. ;)

Yeah, the Spaniards have strong-armed followers of the faith.

Too bad they're not a market. But, by going to war, winning, and taking Balucht Portugal is allowed back in the market.

Are those signs of fatigue I'm seeing in Portugal? I imagine 400 years of war would do that, but it's still odd to actually hear of low reserve numbers.

Port or not, a foothold in the Persian Gulf is surely good news. I'm looking forward to seeing what the last few years will bring.

Are those signs of fatigue I'm seeing in Portugal? I imagine 400 years of war would do that, but it's still odd to actually hear of low reserve numbers.

Port or not, a foothold in the Persian Gulf is surely good news. I'm looking forward to seeing what the last few years will bring.

Exhaustion, and remaining on guard against possible rebel uprisings due to Portugal being at war for so many years.

Yeah, I kind of expect an Indian Mutiny style event to happen right after the game ends, or something like that.

Wow, an Indian Mutiny. That would have been a great addition to the game.

Still, I could write something up...it should be there...it's fitting even though it would be another 65 years until happened in 1857.

Last edited:
[post=156471377]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 29

The Mad Queen

When King Joseph I died, his successor was his daughter Maria I of Portugal.

Range didn’t actually rush to see the new queen when she summoned him. When he arrived, he stopped in the hall outside the throne room to ask a captain of the guards a question. “Has Pombel been around?”

The captain just stared at Range, hoping that he was only joking. He thought everyone knew that the new Queen loathed Pombel.

Range broke into the snicker.

All of a sudden a scream was heard coming within the throne room. It was the queen. She was angry. “If I ever hear that man’s name…I’ll scream louder than that. Get out, and never mention the man’s name in my presence. Now, get out!”

Three advisers suddenly, scrabbled from the throne room, in hopes of evading the Queen’s anger.

Range was then led into the throne room,

“My queen,” said the captain, “Marshal Range.”

“My good friend Range…you must keep that man far from me.”

“WHO?” Asked Range, knowing quite well who the queen was referring to.

“POMBEL…”

“Well,” said Range, “that should be easy enough; just make a decree that states the man is never to be…let’s say twenty miles of anywhere you might be.”

“Brilliant.” She smiled briefly, before adding, “If only I could do more to him.”

“That would be tough to do…seeing he is a national hero. However, you might remove Pombel’s political power.

She smiled and held out her hand to him. “Range…my friend…my protector.

“My queen.”

qsniqb.jpg

Maria I

Because she was often melancholy when attending political meetings, she wasn’t the best of leaders. Her husband, had no power for he wasn’t even in line for king…their children were. So, he was no help.

Thus, she needed a champion. That’s where Range came in. Although Range agreed to be her champion he knew the truth of Maria. “She’s whacky,” he said to himself as he stepped from the throne room.

2rxdtuw.jpg

Omen is becoming quite brazen

sggvop.jpg

But, with both King Joesph gone, and Pombel out of the way. The Netherlands now became fair game.

2igodiu.jpg

In this war there were some loses for the Netherlands as well as Portugal in North America.

fz690w.jpg

But, for Portugal the gains in another part of the world far out weighed the loses in North America.

Last edited:
Wow, you've got a great hegemony over North America. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will change in these last few years.

Maria is certainly an interesting character. Hopefully her madness won't be too detrimental.

Looking forward to the final few installments.

I have to say, that's a mighty fine North American empire, and it seems the Indian empire is pretty darn good as well.

Too bad, it's almost over.

Wow, you've got a great hegemony over North America. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will change in these last few years.

Maria is certainly an interesting character. Hopefully her madness won't be too detrimental.

Looking forward to the final few installments.

I'm glad you're enjoying Portugal. It's been fun.

[post=15703804]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 30

2uykpiu.jpg

Wars and more wars; that is all this journey has brought. When Morocco attacked Tangiers again. Range had enough. He would pour troops into Tangiers. The outcome for the province was never in doubt.

o5cdh1.jpg

When the battle for Tangiers was over, Range began to set his prediction to fruition. Attacking Morocco’s capital was only the beginning. “We end this…”

2zsz18n.jpg

As for Oman, they took a sound thrashing. “We could have taken more, but it was Morocco we wanted.

nyy04h.jpg

And, we’ll take nothing less than annexing Morocco. "Tomas, what does your say say now?"

"It says, at times one can dictate his own future."

2m4f7k7.jpg

"Now, we must teach Algiers a lesson."

Last edited:
You're getting a nice little empire in northern Africa - I wonder how much that will expand before the end of the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other conquests you can squeeze in.

EU1 CHALLENGE: conquer the world in under ten years.

Maybe unlikely, but the actual conquests so far are quite respectable.

I've recently re-obtained a copy of EU1 (my old copy disappeared years ago), and am a few decades into a runthrough with Spain, in which I regularly am beating up Portugal. My only problem is that none of the keyboard shortcuts seem to work without fiddling around in the files.

You're getting a nice little empire in northern Africa - I wonder how much that will expand before the end of the game.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other conquests you can squeeze in.

Thank you...there might be a surprise if I can pull it off.

EU1 CHALLENGE: conquer the world in under ten years.

Maybe unlikely, but the actual conquests so far are quite respectable.

I've recently re-obtained a copy of EU1 (my old copy disappeared years ago), and am a few decades into a runthrough with Spain, in which I regularly am beating up Portugal. My only problem is that none of the keyboard shortcuts seem to work without fiddling around in the files.

(conquer the world in under ten years) that would be a great trick.
EU1 is a great game...this was my first attempt to play an EU1 game. I might play one more...Poland. As for shortcuts I've never used them for any game.

Last edited:
The main shortcut I care about is pausing, to save myself a few seconds if some huge event comes up, and which seems to not be the same key it used to be on my old computer, if there is one at all.

I'm not in front of my game laptop. But, there's actually two ways...I do it...one the pause key, the second is the little icon in the top right hand corner of the game screen that looks like a tiny clock.

Last edited:
[post=15716512]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 31

30cyw6t.jpg

Even during the war, new trading posts are set up in another part of the world.

2evvr85.jpg

“I want the beachfront not just sand.”

wqwmtj.jpg

“That will do for now. We must regroup for the next war.

2mmgsd3.jpg

Portugal stretches out.

Before the war, in 1785, Tomas had received a strange letter from the caretakers at an orphanage in Lisbon. It told of an orphan girl that had been in their care since the day of the great earthquake of 1755, when she was five years old. The problem was the girl who had been in their care since that day, had not aged a day. And, recently, she had disappeared.

When Tomas approached Range and told him of the girl, Range of course asked her name. When he was told her name, his face turned pale. “Miriam…I’ve known two Miriam in my travels. One I married…the other was a witch. She followed me everywhere…”

“But, this is a little girl, Range…”

“Yeah,” said Range, “…now she’s a thirty something, five year old five year old witch.” Range showed concern, as he continued. “If I remember right, she was from Lisbon, too. She followed me everywhere. She even made me believe we were married once, but we weren’t.”

“What?” Tomas laughed.

“It’s a long story…it was on a journey in Poland. I had a head injury…almost died. She took care of me, until I was captured by the Spanish.”

“And, you think this little girl is that woman?”

Range paused to think better of his fears. “It’s possible…”

“It’s a cinch she’s not one of us,” said Tomas. “Then, how did she get here?”

“There’s a facility run by a man named Walcott that specializes in trips that send regular men and women, entire families back in time. Occasionally, some of those people get trapped back here, to relive the same time line over and over, and they don’t age.”

“And, they even die back here.”

“Yeah…this Miriam’s parents must have died in the earthquake. My guess is, Miriam got lucky…Walcott must have stumbled on where she was and pulled her back up line. Where she’ll age...and, one day she’ll become a problem for me.”

“And, she could show up at anytime…at any age.”

“Thanks for reminding me,” said Range with a sour look upon his face. “The first time we met I think it was on a journey through Scotland…or, was it Bavaria. She has a canny way about her of always showing up as the same age as me.”

“You’ll have to stop going up line yourself…maybe then she’ll forget all about you.”

“Besides the fact when I visit their world, I age.”

“Why don’t you come back home?”

“Have you forgotten, the younger me is already there in chains.”

“That’s not true…the Regents would gladly welcome you back.”

“If you remember I once was a Regent…I know how they think. If I go back they’re likely to get rid of me…there can’t be two of us running about up there.”

“Have you ever met yourself in a journey, Range?”

“Yeah, in Yemen, where I had to get rid of a very angry spirit named Lillith…that’s where the younger me met Oma. We were crazy kids then. I never found out what happened to Oma…she just disappeared at a costume party one night (Transylvania), and the world was turned upside down for everyone. And, the Regents blame it all on me for almost ending the world they wanted.”

Last edited:
Hmmm, worrying. I hope this Miriam isn't an agent of our hero's enemies. I can just see 1792 rolling around and the game ending on account of some cops showing up to arrest everyone.

Good to see colonization still happening. Thailand was one of the Asian countries that managed to avoid getting colonized historically, but of course they cannot resist this Portugal.

I'm not in front of my game laptop. But, there's actually two ways...I do it...one the pause key, the second is the little icon in the top right hand corner of the game screen that looks like a tiny clock.

I've been using the clock, but the pause key is the same as the home key on my keyboard and takes me to the capital of the country I'm playing.

That's one nice empire - any plans to grab the rest of Indochina? Is Malaysia independent or a colony? - I can't tell.

Miriam isn't looking promising for our hero - hopefully seven years isn't long enough for her to have a negative impact. Intriguing to hear hints of Range's past. I'm certainly wondering who the Regents are...

Hmmm, worrying. I hope this Miriam isn't an agent of our hero's enemies. I can just see 1792 rolling around and the game ending on account of some cops showing up to arrest everyone.

Good to see colonization still happening. Thailand was one of the Asian countries that managed to avoid getting colonized historically, but of course they cannot resist this Portugal.

I've been using the clock, but the pause key is the same as the home key on my keyboard and takes me to the capital of the country I'm playing.

Wow...the keyboard is strange.

That's one nice empire - any plans to grab the rest of Indochina? Is Malaysia independent or a colony? - I can't tell.

Miriam isn't looking promising for our hero - hopefully seven years isn't long enough for her to have a negative impact. Intriguing to hear hints of Range's past. I'm certainly wondering who the Regents are...

She's always been a misunderstood character. Ah...the regents...maybe I'll clear that up before long. As for Malaysia, I believe they're ruled by no one.

Last edited: