• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ominous. What could be waiting in the church?

Interesting to see the snapshot of Range's life. I guess I was right - he does sound lonely.

Looking forward to the next one.

EDIT: Will the church be affected by the earthquake, I wonder?

Last edited:
Ominous. What could be waiting in the church?

Interesting to see the snapshot of Range's life. I guess I was right - he does sound lonely.

Looking forward to the next one.

EDIT: Will the church be affected by the earthquake, I wonder?

Actually...everyone in some of the churches, and the cathedral got crushed by the collapse of the stone roofs.

I foresee the earthquake causing Japan to invade while Portugal is temporarily weak.

Or maybe not. :)

The earthquake was a blessing for Japan.

[post=15531160]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 24

Portugal, 1 NOVEMBER 1755

2w50ums.jpg

Oh, miserable mortals! Oh wretched earth! Oh, dreadful assembly of all mankind! Eternal sermon of useless sufferings! Deluded philosophers who cry, “All is well,” Hasten, contemplate these frightful ruins, This wreck, these shreds, these wretched ashes of the dead; These women and children heaped on one another, These scattered members under broken marble………Will you say: “This is result of eternal laws Directing the acts of a free and good God! Will you say, in seeing this mass of victims………”

Excerpt from Voltaire’s poem –“All is Well”(regarding the Lisbon earthquake).

The following is an excerpt from Rousseaus’ Letter response to Voltaire’s poem.

All my complaints are. . . against your poem on the Lisbon disaster, because I expected from it evidence more worthy of the humanity which apparently inspired you to write it…It might be said that you fear that I don’t feel my unhappiness enough, and that you are trying to soothe me by proving that all is bad……….Now what does your poem tell me? ‘Suffer forever unfortunate one. If a God created you, He is doubtlessly all powerful and could have prevented all your woes. Don’t ever hope that your woes will end…

It was about 9:30 in the morning on a sunny Autumn day, All Saints Day. With Portugal being a staunch Catholic country, most of the city’s population were in churches, or had just come from church.

The city resonated with an energy from its population due to the thought of the upcoming commemoration for one of the biggest religious holidays of any year.

Suddenly, and without warning the streets began to rattle slightly as the buildings vibrated. It lasted no more than a minute, or less. . .then the earth stilled for what was a mere 30 seconds before a second shock wave hit. This second wave was stronger than the one before lasting somewhere between two and eight minutes.

Confusion reigned. Range’s troops attempted to evacuate as many citizens as possible to higher grounds and away from the tall city buildings. But, few understood the gravity of the situation. As the time stretch longer from the second quake, the urgency softened.

During this time, Tomas had gone to the orphanage with troops forcing the facility against their will to move the children to higher ground and away from the city’s tall buildings.

Several minutes after the second shock wave, the final and most devastating tremor struck. The ground shook violently causing most of the city’s structures to simply disintegrate trapping, or crushing many citizens beneath the heavy stones. Some 12,000 buildings were utterly destroyed.

Dust and debris was cast into the air, forming a dense cloud above the city that slowly filtered down to the ground causing a thick fog to gather within the city. Fires began to pop up all over the city consuming much of what could be burned.

The scene of utter chaos and panic was maddening. The survivors were either vigorously attempting to save those that could be saved, or fleeing to safety.

Now, it came down to one’s thought “which way was safety. . .to the piers of the harbor, or along the Tagus river where there was safety from the fires, or to higher grounds?” Some boarded ships in hopes of watching the horrors from the safety of the sea, while others watched from the piers or from higher ground.

Despite the urging from the military many chose the waterfront for refuge. Shortly after the third shockwave the sea drew back away from the shore, exposing the sandbars. Some thirty minutes later the sea returned with a vengeance, slamming into the waterfront and engulfing much of the downtown Lisbon. The tsunami repeated its attack three times as if to make sure that the damage was complete.

The city of grand elegance and splendor, of culture and wealth had been reduced to ruble.

From the mound inland, a man…maybe one who went by the name of Candide mumbled loud enough for one close enough to hear him say, “Maybe Pangloss is right after all.

“No, my son,” said Tomas placing his arm about Candide’s shoulder. “No, Pangloss is not right. First of all his philosophy ignores facts that contradicts his beliefs. Today, maybe people died trying to save those that could not save themselves…and, why because they believed they could make a difference…in an attempt to save someone’s life. He believes that all that perish this day are meant to perish, but many will perish because no one tried to save them. ..as if there is no reason to attempt to change what is wrong.”

“And, what of me?” Candide asked.

“You my son are the eternal optimist…only due to such tragedy you’ve forgotten for a moment the fact that the rain of this world falls on everyone. . . the good as well as the bad.”

Tomas then moved over to Range.

Range paused for a moment making sure no was within earshot of what he was about to say. “You know Tomas, one day everyone is going to find out about your little charade.”

“Maybe one day I’ll take up this profession,” said Tomas. “What do you say my friend, eh?

“Don’t fool yourself Tomas, being ordained doesn’t necessarily mean you need the paper to prove you’re in the right profession. There’s a lot of hurting people here and down there that need tender loving care that only you and people like you can only provide.”

Then Range turned and saw Michael, Maria’s brother. He was crying, and Maria was no where to be seen. Fearing the truth, Range looked to Tomas who was already moving to comfort Michael.

“Maria,” Michel began to tell Tomas, before stopping to wipe his eyes. “…Maria went back to the cathedral after the first mass, while I waited outside…she had forgotten something…once inside the roof collapsed; no one survived.”

1411b8x.jpg

Tomas raised his eyes to stare at Range to tell him what he already knew in his heart.

The fires burned for five days as the streets of the city were impassable due to the debris within the streets.

It is estimated as many as three-quarters of the city’s population (90,000 to 100,000) died due to the earthquakes, tsunami and the fires. Once the shaking had stopped, the sea had been calmed, and the fires put out it was time to remove the debris and begin to rebuild.

The task of rebuilding came under the duties of Marquis Pombal the first appointed Marquis.

2zfjyw2.jpg

Marquis Pombal

Pombal was a real character. On one hand he was a real hero, for rebuilding Lisbon. But, on the other hand he was a tyrant to the nobles and to many clergy.

He rebuilt a better Lisbon in many ways…dictating that all new structures were to be built at the same height; even churches were not to rise above the other buildings. Gone were the days of the Cathedrals. Also, wide main streets were to run away from the shore. Also, churches were now to be built away from the center of the city.

The days that followed the disaster was also a troubling time for the citizens of Lisbon. There was a shortage of food, lodging, and clean water for the living. Range’s army tents took care of lodging, and he made sure that food and clean water would soon arrive from other provinces (except Algarve which was also hurting). Algarve also received provisions.

15x98hd.jpg

In the aftermath, the terror didn’t stop. Looters ran rampant for a short time until they realized that the army was serious as those captured were immediately hung by Range’s troops.

Then, there were the Jesuit inquisitors, looking to use the opportunity to pin the blame for the earthquake and such on someone, they roamed the streets looking for heretics to hang, or burn on the stake.

As for Pombel…the rebuilding of Lisbon, took on a reconstruction of the city as a whole as he didn’t stop with the buildings, or the streets that led up to the square. He wanted to limit the churches wealth, and the noble’s power.

Being appointed the head of the government by King Joesph I, he thought he could do anything. When he expelled the Jesuit from the country he did end the inquisitions within the streets, as well as ended the grip they had on education and science. However, when he tried to revamp the army he crossed the line.

Seeing who he was coming up against, Pombel let up on his proposal of revamping the army, and merely offered suggestions to Range as he understood Range’s standing with the king and the people. Besides Range posed no threat to him, as he stayed out of politics and religious policies, and, he knew the man appreciated what he had done for Lisbon.

And, what of war you might ask…

Last edited:
Interesting. Good to see Voltaire getting a mention.

I'll be interested to find out how Portugal recovers from this. You've still got to attack Japan yet. What of war indeed.

Interesting. Good to see Voltaire getting a mention.

I'll be interested to find out how Portugal recovers from this. You've still got to attack Japan yet. What of war indeed.

Turmoil...everyone wants someone to blame.

This would be a good time for righteous outrage to be harnessed towards the political ends of our heroes.

Outrage and the pointing of fingers...of course our heroes are in the center of attention. But, who will arrive to be sort of a friend to them.

You'll see later, tonight...(EST)

[post=15557684]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

Entry 25

It was March 1762 (over six years since the earthquake)

A meeting was called to address a religious, as well as a military matter. The question had been posed should Portugal go to war ever again. The convening official was no other than Marquis Pombal. The issue centered on the actions of the Portuguese army; mainly their commander…Range.

One counselor loudly voice his condemnation of Range. “God’s wrath was dealt upon us due our military leader’s choice to do war against another Catholic country.”

“Counselor,” said Pombal. “And, although it is a certainly that we should never declare war on another Catholic country…Range’s sin of attacking Spain was a sin of many years removed. In fact, Range has made a solemn pledge of peace with Spain, vowing to never show any hostilities against that Catholic country.” Pombal then caught the eye of one of his cronies, giving a signal.

“This is true,” said the man who had just been cued into action by Pombel. “Instead, Range has vowed to take action against the heretics of India and Japan.”

A second man, also a crony of Pombel then jumped up to say. “we should stand behind Range to build a great army to take over the Japanese islands.”

Other cronies, strategically placed about the room then began to echo the second man’s sentiments, “It’s what God would want,” and “we must rid the world of all heretics.”

Suddenly, the voices of all the councilors rose to support Range.

Later, Pombel called for Range to tell him the good news.

Range was taken aback by the news. “How did that happen, better yet why did that happen?” He asked Pombel.

“It’s a way to say thank you for your support in expelling the Jesuits.”

“Now, wait a minute.” Snapped Range, “they had to go to stop the persecutions.”

“I know, Range, and I’m forever in your debt. Maybe there’s something else I can do for you.”

“Don’t do anything on my account,” Range stated in no uncertain terms.

Pombel smiled in response. He had alternative reasons for his position…profits from future trade and national growth.

When Range explained everything that was transpiring to Tomas, he was reminded of a passage in his book.

The military leader of Portugal will long for peace…for a time it shall be his…until a great hook will draw him into a war in search of great gains…which will eventually lead him into one war after another…until all of the new world shall be ablaze.

(So much will go on that the wars that follow will be broken down into a few posts. There will be no interval of peace through it all. In fact, Portugal will find itself alone against numerous countries and wars at one time.)

This is how it all began:

5djf49.jpg

Two small Portuguese armies landed on Japan’s main island. But, for the longest time they wouldn’t be attacked by Japan’s main force. Instead, a much smaller force moved on the Portuguese forces from Shinoku. The new Japanese troops were easily disposed of.

There is a possibility that if the Japanese force in Honshu had combined with the new troops to move against the then small Portuguese force, they might have pushed the invaders into the sea. But, they didn’t. And, soon that window of opportunity closed with the arrival of two Portuguese reinforcement elements.

Range had no idea how many troops he needed to successfully take out Japan. Nor could he comprehend how much time he’d need to completely defeat them. But, what he did know was that France was an ally of Japan. And, he had to them on as well.

As for France, during the early part of the war they had numerous trading posts burned to the ground by Portugal…two of which (Gambia and Namaqua) would eventually become trading posts of Portugal. But, they weren’t out of the war as yet.

24vij41.jpg

This in itself would normally cause a lot of problems…but, Range had the necessary forces in this region…one large army to hold/defend Bombay against Mughal. And, three to four armies eyeing the prize…Hyderabad and their two provinces. With Hyderabad also in the war Range wanted to take them out.

25au4hc.jpg

Range forces were on the move to attack the Japanese forces in Honshu. Learning of the Japanese forces movement, the Portuguese halted and began setting up defenses to take on the large Japanese force.

dbjvv5.jpg

The Japanese forces, after heavy loses, withdrew to Edo. After being reinforces once again, the combined Portuguese force began to move on the remaining Japanese forces in Edo. But, once again learning the Japanese were moving on their position, the Portuguese held their positions in Honshu and waited for the Japanese to advance.

The Japanese forces would eventually be annihilated. Leaving no Japanese forces to move against the Portuguese on these islands. But, there was another Japanese island.

2yy81zc.jpg

A navy battle also soon took place seeing the Japanese navy being destroyed.

To Be Continued:

Last edited:
And we finally see an attack on Japan - this promises to be interesting, for sure. I'm assuming you're wanting to annex them?

I'm also assuming that Mughals were easily defeated?

Looking forward to the conclusion of the war.

France always seems like a tough enemy when I am fighting them, and it is good to see a few logs in the screenshots showing that other countries are also attacking them.

I've always liked taking France down a peg or two.

And we finally see an attack on Japan - this promises to be interesting, for sure. I'm assuming you're wanting to annex them?

I'm also assuming that Mughals were easily defeated?

Looking forward to the conclusion of the war.

I didn't know what to expect from Japan. The biggest stumbling stone is that other wars are getting in the way of my sending reinforcements to take the last Japanese island. As for the Mughals, they are very difficult to take out, because of their mighty forts.

[post=15600695]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

2mer4b9.jpg

mbho2e.jpg

Japan’s main island would soon be in Portugal’s hand. A captain approached Range, “Sir, Shiroru hasn’t been taken.”

“What?” Replied Range that was supposed to have taken on initial attack. “Well, that was just fine…now, we have two islands to take.”

1ik3sg.jpg

Range knew that Shiroru could be taken easily. But, Hokkaido that was another matter, It was defended by a large Japanese force.

nvbgpu.jpg

In France controlled region, Zaire had grown into a market. It now, became a target for Portugal.

s45ls3.jpg

The nation of Hyderabad is about to fall. When they do they will be annexed by Portugal.

f28qic.jpg

When yet another Portuguese reinforcement element arrived Japan was annexed next.

France will also feel the pain of defeat. They will lose Bangor, Cabinda, and Zaire to Portugal in exchange for peace.

Mughal would agree to a white peace.
But, Sweden wouldn’t settled for a white peace sp the war went on.

To be continued:

2my91eh.jpg

35heb9h.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful to see the Portguguese empire now includes Japan. You've certinaly done well in that regard - and good to hear that the Mughals were easy enough to defeat. Is that a Scottish Iraq? It looks like they've been doing quite a bit colonising of their own.

Looking forward to the last few updates.

Bwahahaha, Japan finally taken.

I didn't know what to expect. The biggest problem with the war with Japan; all of a sudden it seemed that the whole world was moving against me.

Wonderful to see the Portguguese empire now includes Japan. You've certinaly done well in that regard - and good to hear that the Mughals were easy enough to defeat. Is that a Scottish Iraq? It looks like they've been doing quite a bit colonising of their own.

I'll have to check to see who's in Iraq. I should go about the map and fill everyone in to where the other countries have stretched their borders to. I'll do that for the beginning of the next entry.

Looking forward to the last few updates.

I should have a couple of updates for this weekend (if the storm doesn't take out the power). The game itself is nearing the end.

[post=15636080]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

Entry 27

August 1770

The world is a much different place then what you know. I just thought you'd like to see some of the differences.

iejt6s.jpg

The British main is held by four nations. Scotland holds most of the island from the north to deep into the south…including… The Rest has been divided up between England, Spain and France. Ireland is also divided between England, Spain, France and Scotland (Ulster and Meath).

6ohs34.jpg

Scotland three major provinces on Europe’s mainland; Bremen, Holstein, and Mecklenberg.

icv5uu.jpg

Brandenburg is holding its own.

208hgm9.jpg

Poland has also survived…Warsaw is also still in Polish hands (not seen in this shot).

2qwki6t.jpg

And, how about Russia (in dark Brown) stretching out to the farthest points of Asia to the west.

The light green is Persia. The slightly darker light green is Turkey. They hold Thrace of course.

33oksrd.jpg

The Inca Empire (in black) is still sticking around.

Last edited:
That's certainly a mixed up world - is that England in Australia? Interesting to see they still have been able to colonise so far despite being England in name only. The Ottomans - or rather, Turkey has certainly done well for itself. Do Spain control Italy, or is Sicily a very similar colour.

Looking forward to the last few updates - I've enjoyed this foray into EU1 a lot.

That's certainly a mixed up world - is that England in Australia? Interesting to see they still have been able to colonise so far despite being England in name only. The Ottomans - or rather, Turkey has certainly done well for itself. Do Spain control Italy, or is Sicily a very similar colour.

Looking forward to the last few updates - I've enjoyed this foray into EU1 a lot.

I've enjoyed writing and playing it. And, thank you for following along. I'll check on the Italy.

I'm glad to see that Scotland and the Incas are doing well.

I'm surprised on the Incas. I guess that's what happens when Spain gets kicked around...They're trailing me in points...by a good 500. As for Scotland...it's good to see.

[post=15641573]Portugal by Range (playing Portugal) year 1492-1792

PORTUGAL

Entry 28

Range had kept his vow not to fight Spain, as Spain left Navarre alone. He knew he had given up a great opportunity in not continuing his conquest of Spain, but in doing so there were trade offs…the conquest of Japan for one.

As for Spain, although they had been taken to task by Portugal, they still held Rome. They also held a portion of northern Europe, as well a part of the English isle, Ireland, and a large portion of the new world to the west.

Range was also being hampered by King Joesph I. He was persuaded by the king not to attack any other Catholic country. To Range this greatly hemmed him in from expanding the country’s territory in North and South America.

So, Range turned his gaze on Africa and Persia, putting the Netherlands to the side for a time. “Persia,” thought Range, “they threw our merchants out of Isfahan. It’ll cost us nothing to go to war with them.” The question has to be asked, which is the bigger prize Balucht, or Altair?

In April of 1771, Sweden agreed on a white peace…Russia followed suit shortly thereafter. But, Portugal was still at war.

In July, Tangiers was under attack by 150,000 Moroccans, while Oman attacked Bombay.

16rsyt.jpg

Of the Moroccan horde more than a third of them was left on the field of battle, as their army limped away from Tangiers. Tangiers would soon be reinforced to hold off continuing onslaughts.

“Do we follow them, Range?” asked a captain.

“No,” replied Range. “The day will come when all of Morocco will be ours.”

“I don’t think I’ve read that in my book,” said Tomas.

“It’s not in your book,” said Range, “it’s my promise.”

nxv0qu.jpg

War against Persia.

Balucht proved to be the better target and a better prize. Portugal had the potential to put large armies in the field, and Balucht was a much richer province. As for Altair, it had a mighty fortress.

The problem for Portugal was their reserves were dropping, and they had been at war for way too long.

2mp0tnl.jpg

The wars had caused a lot of problems. One was that Portugal had forgotten to take advantage of claiming more of previous Netherlands trading territories. Only Hindua and Miamis were taken.

azjacg.jpg

With the Persian Gulf now owned by the Persian navy, there was no further hope of Portuguese reinforcement for the beleaguered forces in Balucht. It was time to agree to peace, with Persia at least.

Last edited: