• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Sorcerer

LOL! They are quite easy to confuse, aren't they? :D
In fact, when we were having milk & cookies last Friday I did exactly that, so it's probably also a little dig at me. :)

Great, great, great, great....so may great lines!...loved the "ignominy" definition.

Reno gets Natalie Portman and Anne Parillaud? I wanna be the guy taking the stills on that set! Just watched The Professional again on Monday...still one of my all time favourites, but it also made me think of a good counterpart for Steve Buschemi...how about having him dueling with Gary Oldman poping those litytle green and yellow pills?

Every time you mentioned getting the cleaners in I thought Reno was going to open fire. :D

Also got a chuckle from Shatner doing Portuguese ballads. I don't know whether many of the readers will have suffered through those TV commercials of him singing or not; but I can tell anyone who didn't that you aren't missing a thing. :eek: :)

As always....:)

Originally posted by Secret Master
Just wondering, LD, is there any particular reason you decided to annex all that land in the balkans? Or were you just doing it to be pain in Venice's arse?

I'm wondering the same thing ... after your first three or four wars I figured you were just going with the flow, eviscerating whatever enemies your alliance pitted you against, but now I'm not so sure, what with your sparing of Tuscany. So why the hell are you taking all that Balkan land? :confused: The only strategy I can think of that would fit your conquests would be a "turn the Mediterranean into my own private pond" strategy. But then, I would think you would've vassalized Venice instead of taking land. Of course, it could be that you're not playing with any strategy at all, which would be fitting for a Hollywood production. ;)

Originally posted by Lord Durham
The following scenes deal with a rather tardy Venetian relief army that engages the Portuguese in Ragusa, only to lose and retreat in ignominy."

"What's 'ignominy'?"

"It's Latin for 'I'm a vapid Suit'."

"Really?"

I'm glad to see the Latin lessons begun in the Genoa AAR are being continued in your new project :p

Originally posted by Secret Master
Just wondering, LD, is there any particular reason you decided to annex all that land in the balkans? Or were you just doing it to be pain in Venice's arse?

I was wondering about that myself.

Btw D. João III was married to a very important lady - Catherine of Austria, granddaughter of the Catholic Kings and sister of Charles V, which reminds me that our spanish neighbours might be up to something. Just how are the relations with them?

What about Brasil? We should have those sea charts by now; a bit of samba and Carnaval scenes on site would be great :)

De Niro in?! Uau! No wonder the statistics guy couldn't give a straight answer; this budget is way out of hand!

Glad to see you got the writing rhythm back! Please don't leave us without updates for so long :D

Originally posted by Lionheart

She's in the "Who Killed Cologne?" thread ;)

britney, mandy moore, jessica simpson, and christina aguilera are all in that one, i think. :p

de niro as a king... that's probably about the only thing he hasn't played... until now anyway.

SM: Something like that. I had an opportunity, and I took it. Since several of you are questioning my strategy, or lack thereof, more on that a bit later.

Storey: Sadly, I work with this nonsense day in and day out...

Peter E: ... and judging from your reaction I get the impression you do too. :)

Backpack: Thanks for that. I was kind of concerned if the gameplay made sense. That eases my mind. Now go write some lyrics for Shatner... :)

Rictus: It's one of the reasons I decided to showcase this particular game of Portugal. It's not often they go on an eastern tear, and I thought it would be fun to share.

Lt.Tyler: 'atta boys' are a good thing. Thankyou. Yeah, Canada's a nation of apologists... :rolleyes:

Sorcerer: Good to see you poking around again. Thanks for the kudos.

KoN: Britney's coming... oops, I forgot, she's a 'virgin'...

MrT: Thanks, as always. Yeah, the Pacino thing was a little dig. I didn't think you'd remeber, considered your alcohol soaked state. It just goes to show, I'll use any slip of the tongue or goof up in this production. Gary Oldman, another good choice (files it...)

Lionheart: Thanks. Britney sure gets around... :D

Roland D: Bingo. This is a Hollywood Production, so I need to set an aura of suspense. Basically, I've been playing a reactionary role, taking advantage of allie's wars. I let Tuscany go because I couldn't reach it in time with sufficient force. To paraphrase you, I wanted to try my hand at creating 'a Portugal/Mediterranean playground' for a change of pace.

Carligula: Ah, Genoa. Now there's an AAR that should have had decent ratings. :(

Nuno R: Thnaks for the heads up on John's wife. I admit I haven't had much time for research lately, which also explains why my posting has been sporadic. I'll cast her immediately :)

Thanks all, once again. I've found myself writing terribly close to the present as far as game play goes. I'll have to rectify that, I guess. I hope to have an update tomorrow.

Backpack: Thanks for that. I was kind of concerned if the gameplay made sense. That eases my mind. Now go write some lyrics for Shatner... :)

William Shatner....hmmm...isn't that guitar smashing beat-poet bonhomie priceline.com spokesman in a leather jacket a product of Canada?:D

BTW, when are the Nitro Girls going to put in an appearance?:):cool: Perhaps they could visit the set while The Rock was there? I'm sure that would cause quite a commotion amongst the suits.;)
nitro.jpg

Edit: Drat! quoted before I could correct my blunder.:rolleyes::D Hope you like the changes.:)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Backpack

William Shatner....hmmm...Hey, isn't that guitar smashing beat-poet bonhomie priceline.com spokesman in a leather jacket a product of Canada?:D

BTW, Since we already have DeNiro, when is Al Pacino going to make an appearance?:)
Yup. That's one of our boys. :)

All I know is that if Val kilmer shows up with DeNiro then it's going to be a bloodbath that only a guy like Pacino could put down...(Heat, another of my fav's).

You'd be surprised what I remember sometimes, LD. ;)

Jack Shit Studios

"Good morning, Dick."

"Good morning, Mr. Smithee."

"You look tired, Dick, sure you're getting enough sleep?"

"I suppose not, sir."

Turner lit a trademark stogie. "Cuban cigars, Steele. Exquisite examples of art, these, and one of the great benefits of working north of the border."

"Never acquired a taste for them, sir."

Smithee blew a thick ring of smoke. "Take my advice, Dick," Turner sat forward. "If you want to go places," he held out the burning roll of tobacco, "this is what you'll need. One of these, and a lot of moxie, Steele."

"Phew. And here I thought it was all about sucking up and taking warm showers with the Suits."

"That comes later. Now, have you had any luck casting King John's queen?"

"I should have that wrapped this morning, sir. It was down to Catharine Deneuve and Ellen De Generes. However, Anne Heche arrived to audition for another role and got into a catfight with De Generes. It wasn't pretty. Anyway, we awarded the role to Deneuve. I just have to meet her agent with the contract to seal the deal."

"Good show... ah, good morning, Trixie."

"Good morning, Mr. Smithee."

"You look tired, Trixie, sure you're getting enough... sleep... ah, never mind..."

Jack Shit Studios - Soundstage 13

"Mr. Corman, thank you so much for taking the time to do this commercial." Harry Butts, a minor executive with JS Studios, bounced around like an excited schoolboy. He was a cherub like man, with an apoplectic face and an ill-fitting toupee.

"Quite all right. It gets me out from behind the desk and back where I belong. Anyway, Doug Daft is a close friend of mine."

A voice from behind them barked, "Who the hell's Doug Daft, and how long will this take? And who the hell are you?"

"Oh, Mr. de Niro. I didn't hear you creep up." Butts licked his suddenly dry lips. "Doug Daft is the CEO of Coca Cola, Mr. De Niro, and you've met Roger Corman, haven't you?"

"Corman? Ah, yeah, the guy that made all those shitty little films in the sixties and seventies."

Corman shrugged. "You should talk, rubber face. I've seen 'The Wedding Party' and 'Bloody Mama'. Those are real feathers to stick in you career cap."

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?"

"Gentlemen... gentlemen... please." Harry Butts stepped between the two men. "The faster we do this, the faster we can all get back to the mini-series."

"Hey! What's going on here? Who are you people?"

The three broke apart as two men and a girl in pigtails marched up. The speaker was a mousy man with a thin mustache. "We have a very important commercial to shoot here, and you bozo's are on my sound stage cutting into my budget!"

Butts puffed up. "Your soundstage? This is booked for our shoot. See, here's the contract."

The mousy man grabbed it and gave the paper a cursory look. "This looks as phony as your hairpiece." He produced his own document. "This, however, is legal. Note the date and stage number."

"Well, it's obvious someone, somewhere, goofed. What you shooting?"

"A Pepsi commercial. You?"

"A Coke commercial."

"Ohh. I love coke. Tee-hee," the girl squeaked, her head going side to side while an index finger twisted deep into her chipmunk cheek.

"Who's the bimbo?" De Niro asked, his rubber like face appraising the blonde girl.

"This bimbo, I'll have you know, is Britney Spears," the mousy man huffed. He paused, "Er, you're Robert de Niro!"

"No shit, Sherlock. Britney Spears, eh? Name's familiar. She's the one with the floating breast size, right?"

"Er... say hi to Mr. De Niro, Britney."

"Hi. Tee-hee. I'm a virgin."

Harry Butts spoke up. "So, what are we going to do about this? We can't very well have Coke and Pepsi on the same shoot."

Roger Corman coughed. "Why not?"

Both producers looked at him, "What do you mean?"

"De Niro?"

"You talkin' to me?"

"Do you dance?"

"Dance?! What do you think I am, some kind of fl..." De Niro's voice faded as he stalked off, arms waving wildly in the air.

Britney Spears was quite philosophical. "Tee-hee. I'm a virgin."

Jack Shit Studios - Screening Room

"You gentlemen look a lot better than last time we did this."

"Shut up, Steele, and let's get on with it."

"Tight underwear, Mr. Scorsese?"

"Huh?"

"Lights. We pick up Episode Three in the year 1531. King Joao III, or John, appoints Martine de Sousa as Governor of the New World. The appointment is met with such favour that the local shipwrights donate 10 sloops and the services of a Conquistador named de Abreau. The whole bundle sails west. Next time we cut to them, several months later, they are locked in a fierce naval battle with some Caribbean pirates, off the coast of Guadeloupe. The Portuguese are victorious. Next, we cut to Dalmatia and the suppression of a series of peasant revolts."

"These peasant revolts are growing rather tedious, Steele."

"Just think of them as management - union trouble, sir, with the army playing the part of management."

"Ohhh. I like that."

"I thought you would. Next, we go to Piemonte where the peasants succeed in defeating the local army and talking over the province..."

"Steele!"

"Well, you can't win every strike, Mr. Carpenter. Troops are commissioned in Provence. As we enter the year 1532 we cut to Lisbon, where representatives from Genoa, the Papal States and the Knights attempt to convince King John to join their war against Austria, Savoy, Baden, Pommern, Bohemia and Tuscany. The King declines, his decision based on self-survival. As you can see, though, the foreign envoys are rather pissed."

"Were they drinking?"

"It's a figure of speech, Mr. Carpenter. From Lisbon we head back across the Atlantic to witness the successful construction of a Trade Post in Gaspesie. From there we jump to Acadie as it receives Colonial City status. It is now 1533 and the army is reformed, so to speak. We cut to Piemonte to witness the destruction of the rebels, then swish pan to Lisbon as Genoa and the Papal States ask Portugal to rejoin their alliance. King John III agrees, as the war with Austria is over. To finish the year we cut to Rio Grande as a merchant ship disgorges its passengers, who in turn set up a lemonade stand for the locals."

"They had lemonade back then, Steele?"

"Of course, Mr. Penn, along with Rice Krispies and marmalade."

"Are you making fun of me, Steele?"

"I wouldn't dream of it, Mr. Penn."

"Hey, Steele, the guy with the robes and long beard looks awfully familiar."

"That's Donald Sutherland, Mr. Smithee. He plays a Saint. As you can see, he's preaching in some square in Lisbon. Ultimately, he performs a miracle that manages to settle the population for several months."

"A Saint? I hope we're not getting into some hocus-pocus stuff, Steele. Besides, everyone knows that Roger Moore should play him."

"My mistake. As we fade away from Sutherland, we fade into a group of military engineers discussing advanced methods of warfare with King John. After that, the years from 1535 to 1537 are comprised primarily of a montage of revolts in exotic places like Piemonte and Ionia. There's a subplot that covers the eradication of corruption in the Portuguese court, and another that deals with the failure of the Holy Inquisition to take root."

"Why, Steele? I was looking forward to torture and stuff like that."

"Well, Mr. Scorsese, it was a combination of political correctness, and the fact that Chris Walken was a little too keen to come back from the dead as Torquemada and reprise the role. I'm not sure what was chillier. Anyway, during the summer of 1536 Table becomes a Colonial City. Table, if you remember, is located on the southern tip of Africa, and not something you can have appraised on the Antiques Roadshow. From the fledgling colony in Table, we cut to Genoa and a Marriage of State between the Genoese and Portuguese peoples. Now we fade to 1538 and feature a plot that involves two feuding families."

"We're not going to do 'Romeo and Juliet', are we? I hope you don't go Shakespeare on us, Steele."

"No fear, Mr. Penn. The feud is settled with a large cash settlement from the Portuguese treasury. Think 'Arthur Anderson'. Next, we cut to the year 1539, and the introduction of a delegation from the Aztec nation."

"Oh, great! Does that mean we get to see human sacrifice and cannibalism, Steele?"

Steele shrugged, "You don't need the Aztecs for that, Mr. Carpenter, just watch the Parliament Channel."

"Point taken. Ah, why are the guys in the funny feathered outfits jumping around and screaming?"

"Well, sir, they've been insulted by the King in front of all the other European delegates. Relations become strained between Portugal and the Aztecs, while Europe begins to wonder about the sanity of King John."

"What do you mean by 'questioning the sanity', Steele? Are you saying that the King will go nuts? Does that mean he'll tattoo himself, spout bad poetry and terrorize families?"

"Naw, any Rap artist now a days does that. It will be something more original. Anyway, we reach the year 1540 and meet the acquaintance of yet another conquistador. This one goes by the name of Mem de Sa. He's played by Scott Bakula."

"Bakula? Isn't he the Enterprise captain who can't fight worth a lick?"

"The very same, sir. After his departure from the port of Lisbon, we cut to a couple more Royal Marriages, one with Serbia and the other with Bavaria."

"These Portuguese are sowing their oats rather globally, don't you think?"

"Yes, sir. The women of Portugal are a randy bunch. After the festivities, we cut to the island of Curacao as it achieves Colonial City status, then finish up with a Heretical uprising in Fez, followed by its ultimate demise. Any questions?"

"Yeah. What happens with de Niro?"

"Just wait and see, sir. Lights."

Last edited:
LOL! "You talkin' to me?" :D You've got him down pat.

[
icon3.gif
] Maybe you should hire Billy Crystal to settle him down a bit.[/
icon3.gif
]

Harry Butts, a minor executive with JS Studios, bounced around like an excited schoolboy. He was a cherub like man, with an apoplectic face and an ill-fitting toupee.

You sure Harry Butts isn't out there with a hand-held looking for "amateurs" and showing a roll of dollar bills? :eek: :D :D

Great stuff, once again, LD! :)

"Oh, great! Does that mean we get to see human sacrifice and cannibalism, Steele?"

Steele shrugged, "You don't need the Aztecs for that, Mr. Carpenter, just watch the Parliament Channel."

And the Europeans think they are so much more civilized than the heathen meso-Americans.... :D

Yes, sir. The women of Portugal are a randy bunch.

i know where i need to go for my next vacation. lisbon or bust..... :D

you got britney down too as well as de niro.

"i'll make him an offer he won't refuse."

"These peasant revolts are growing rather tedious, Steele."

"Just think of them as management - union trouble, sir, with the army playing the part of management."

"Ohhh. I like that."

Priceless :D

Well, you could've taken Val Kilmer for the S...never mind. :D

Great stuff, although I start to dislike Steele. I dunno why...

MrT: Billy Crystal and Jack Palance :) ... er... is Jack still alive?

Norgesvenn: He could be...

SM: Not a chance, eh? :)

KoN: I'll let you in on a little secret. Trixie is loosely based on a Portuguese girl I dated while still single... Crap! Now I'm getting depressed...

Peter E: Thank you :D

Rictus: I could have warned you. Even I wouldn't bet on myself. :rolleyes:

Lionheart: There's a bit more Britney and de Niro to come yet... ;)

Sorcerer: Dislike Steele, eh? Could it be a smattering of jealousy? ;)

Storey asked a while back if I would run out of celebrity names for this mini-series. Well, I gathered the suggestions passed on to me by you folks, and to date I have a full page of people I haven't even mentioned yet. And that's on top of some of the actors and actresses that MrT and I have identified during one of our frequent social gatherings. Bottom line is, I think we'll be OK.

I hope to have an update ready for tomorrow.