• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I must say, I approve of your treatment of discoveries. Have you ever played the board game? :cool:

Nice update, too.

-Pat

Okely Dokely

As the First of January, 1494 arrived João II finally came out in the open. He adressed the nation and the nation loved him. He had done his part and he would be remembered, but he was not ready to drop off yet. He still did not have a legitimate heir and he had failed to produce any child at all for the past decade.

January 27th
João II felt he needed to expand his trade more and so sent a merchant to the massive Center of Trade, Venice. He just hoped his merchant would be able to put up with the pressure.

February 3rd
Word from Andalusia, a Spanish army is marching up through France, it is not seiging whatsoever. It could be heading to retake Artois or even attack Paris so as to turn the tide of the war.

1494February-France.jpg
The Spanish army moving north through France, leaving destruction in it's wake.​

March 7th
Finally, the war in the East had ended. After capturing the Mameluk capital of Cairo, Turkey demanded that the Mameluks pay them a mere 4 ducats and hand over the provinces of Lebanon and Judea. The Mameluks accepted their demands on the 2nd. João II is relieved that the Turks did not take advantage of the obvious advantage they had over the Mameluks and did not decide to go all the way. No word from our merchant sent to Venice, failure suspected.

1494March-TurkishGain.jpg

Turkish gains at the end of the war.

March 11th
Word from our merchant in Paris: The Spanish army is attempting to reclaim Artois and a large French army is seiging Artois' neighbour province of Luxemburg.

March 11th
The man who came up with the cannons opperational on land has said that he has perfected them and can now begin to produce them for us on a regular basis. 20 'land-cannons' are ordered for the Army of Almeidia.

April 4th
A letter is recieved from Kribi, they say they successfully set-up a trading post on the 1st.

April 11th
More word of the Franco-Spanish War. Luxemburg was taken and control of it has been given to The Papal States. Brittany and Spain accepted peace on the 9th, Spain was forced to pay 26 ducats. A large army consisting of Savoy, Papal States and French men is marching South through France. A large Spanish army is marching North. Confrontation of the two armies is almost definate. Artois is still being seiged by the Spaniards. Our French merchant says he will send more word in a month. Another merchant is sent to France to ensure we will contrinue to get updates.

May 13th
The second letter is recieved from our Paris Merchant. It says that the two large armies finally met in the province of Bourgogne. Massive loses occured on both sides. The Spanish army was victorious on the 11th of May. Artois has been retaken by Spain and the same army is now moving to retake Luxemburg. The letter also states that our merchant has seen not hide nor hair of the second merchant we sent to assist him.

May 20th
A trader brave enough to attempt to rebuild our trading post in Leone is finally found. He and his crew are reluctant to go due to the massacre of our last trading post there but agrees in the end.

June 3rd
A second attempt of sending a merchant to assist our original merchant in Paris is made after a long time with no updates. Our Andalusian merchant is having trouble recieving word of the war in France.

June 25th
Word from Paris: Luxemburg being assulted by a small Spanish force. Artois is being seiged by The Papal States... again. The large Spanish army that was victorious against the French Alliance Grandé Armee (as it is being called) continues to head North. Could be heading to fortify The Spanish Low-Lands, could be heading to Paris, only the Spanish know. The first real attack against actual Spain occurs, a small French force attacks Roussillon, the Northen-most Spanish province.

There you go, I'm tired now. Can't be bothered to do any more.

Question: What has this IGC thing done to Portuguese explorers? I've read J.Passepartout's old Portugal AAR and it seems the regular GC gets Da Gama and both of the (important) Corte Real brothers! Why does the IGC remove these great explorers of the 15th century? I mean, Da Gama was only one of the most succesful explorers in the Age of Discovery. He was only the first person to ever sail directly from Europe to India. Also, the Corte Reals, the men at the peak of European newfoundland discovery! The IGC gives them no credit at all (it would seem).

I do hope that brave trader has better fortune than his predecessor!

Seems like Spain is fighting back, that is good I guess. Strange they haven’t done it before. Also I hope the trader will do well and avoid getting killed by the natives.

The A.I. is definetly different in IGC and certainly for the worst. France, as Wellington mentioned, are letting Spanish armies march up and down their lands and Spain is defienetly being stupid with it's armies. They always head for their provences that their enemies control. They have lost provinces in Southern Spain and in The Low Lands so, for example, a large Spanish army will march North through France to reach the Low Lands, get really close, then a totally different army will retake the province and the original large army will turn around and head for Southern Spain. Wasting time and seiging nothing. It's quite stupid.

Onward

July 4th
Merchant successful in Paris. Rebels are still very strong in Southern Spain. They now control Grenada, Andalusia & Gibraltar.

July 25th
The 20 cannons for The Army of Almeda have been created and cannoneers have been trained to man them. Due to excellent weather conditions, the harvest in Portugal is expected to do extremely well. An exceptional year is most certainly ahead.

August 6th
Dias has returned from his exploration of the African mid-West coast. He has mapped out a safe route across the bay and has created a shortcut for all ships not wishing to dock at Fernando Po.

1494August-Mid-WestAfricanCoast.jpg

The new seas explored by Bartolomeu Dias.

September 2nd
A trader has been sent to expand our trading post in Senegal and a merchant has been sent to Venice.

September 9th
Word from Palamas, our attempt to rebuild our trading post in Leone has failed. We have also received no word from our settlers sent to Damara, we fear that they have gotten lost on the way. We send a second ship of settlers to Damara to find out.

September 14th
Word from Paris, a large, mostly French, army is sieging Rousillion in Northern Spain. A large Spanish army is marching South through France from The Low Lands.

October 16th
The two warships built to be placed under Dias' command have been built. They are sent immediately to Fernando Po.

November 4th
Word from Senegal, they received the extra traders on the 1st and the trading post has successfully been expanded. Another merchant is sent to Venice.

November 15th
Word from Paris: Rousillion in Northern Spain is now controlled by France and Luxemburg is being sieged by a Savoy/Papal states army. There have been a large number of sea battles in the Western Mediterranean, they have mostly been in favor of Spain.

December 7th
Another one of our merchants has sent word of him successfully setting up shop in Venice.

Not much is really happening...

Seems like Spain and France can't decided to end this war, but instead they will just continue killing each other for a long time. Well at least you have managed to make some new discoveries and expanding colonies and trading posts are also nice.

Actually, there was this one time where I just saved, sped the time up to maximum and watched things unfold, the Granada rebellion did declare independence but not as Granada. They controlled about half of Spain and two of the provinces declared themselves Catalonia (Catalonia and the province under it). I also got some random event that gave me 3000 ducats... It was awesome but I can't remember what event it was.

Seems like France and Spain are providing you with constant entertainment as you sit on the sidelines, so to speak.

Nice to see a portugal AAR. Somehow Portugal has always ben one of my favourites.

More stuff

As the new year of 1495 rolled up, João II was pleased with his and Portugal's progress. I guess that's about it... actually.

January 1st
Happy new year! Merchant sent to the great center of trade, Venice. Trader sent to expand trading post in Dakar.

February 7th
Merchant successful in Venice. Our trade ventures are expanding.

February 30th
Word or war is received from Eastern Europe. Poland-Lithuania announced it was at war with The Teutonic Order on the 27th. Poland-Lithuania's ally Moldovia was quick to back it up but it's other ally Algiers disgraced their alliance. The Teutonic Order was backed up by Prussia.

March 22nd
More word from Andalusia about the rebellion. Spain has retaken Toledo but their capital of Madrid is being sieged by a growing rebel army. Luxemburg has also been taken by The French Alliance. Control over the Lowlands province has been given to The Papal States. Spain's military predicament is getting worse. Grenada, Andalusia and Gibraltar have been lost to the rebels and Rousillion, Franche Comté, Artois and Luxemburg have been lost to France and her allies. A total of 7 lost provinces.

March 30th
Word from Dakar, trading post expanded successfully. Another merchant is sent to Venice.

April 27th
Dias returns from his exploration of the mid-West African coast. He has found and explored the coast of a small island. He did not explore further inland of the island as he was running low on supplies and had to get back to Fernando Po.

1495July-Mid-WestAfricanCoast.jpg

Dias' expansion of the mid-West African coast

May 11th
No word from our newest merchant sent to Venice. Failure suspected. Trader sent to Senegal to expand our trading post there.

June 5th
Word from our merchant in Paris. France and it's countryside is certainly the center of attention. Most battles are being fought in the middle of Paris. Spanish armies march North and South through France relatively unchallenged. Merchant sent to Venice. Artois is now controlled by Spain, again. Lorraine attempted to get it's princess out of Poland-Lithuania but the Poles would not allow it. Lorraine has broken the marriage and kidnapped it's princess back so as to protect her from the war-torn country.

June 21st
No word from the colonists we sent to Damara, we fear that both of the colonist ships we sent to Damara have failed horribly.

July 11th
No word from Venice the more recent merchant we sent to Venice. Failure suspected. Our trading ship we sent to Senegal has returned. They tell us that Senegal may be rich in ivory but does not have the food resources to support a larger trading post without expanding it into a working colony.

July 19th
Word is received from Fernando Po. They have received the ships from Lisboa Port and they have been placed under Dias' command. Dias finds it stupid to continue expanding on the route to India. He has completed a path to the sub-continent and believes he has done his bit in the South. He left Fernando Po on the 14 of July heading West to the lands told to us by Spain at the Tratado de Tordesilhas (Treaty of Tordesillas).

August 5th
Spain buckles down and gets to work in Northern France. Retakes Artois and Luxemburg. Defeats a large Savoy army and begins sieging Champagne.

October 2nd
Spain slowly begins to gain upper hand in the Franco-Spanish war. Controls Artois, Luxemburg and Champagne. Has the two largest armies marching around France and is currently sieging Paris. If it were not for the pesky rebels in Spain she would be doing extremely well. A brave man with nothing to lose offers to lead a final attempt to colonize Damara. Due to the failures of the previous attempts, only a few people volunteer to go with him so only a trading post can be established.

October 10th
João II, King of Portugal, Lord and Founder of The New Portuguese Empire has fallen terribly ill! It came very suddenly and poisoning is suspected. Doctors have been with him all day but they doubt he will survive long. They say he is lucky to be alive at all.

October 17th
João II's sickness reaches new heights. He is unable to move let alone speak and has spent the last 6 days entirely in bed. He is unfit to rule. Due to his lack of a legitimate male heir, his first cousin, Manuel the First takes the crown of Portugal.

1495October-NewMonarch.jpg

The new Portuguese King, Manuel the First.

October 25th, O dia de Desespero
On this day João II, Lord of The New Portuguese Empire died in his sleep. He was in pain all the way to the bitter end, but he didn't care. His empire was as large as it had ever been. He would not be forgotten. He just hoped that his cousin would follow his legacy.

Dramatization! Why? 'Cause I can. I thought I should start getting some dialog in here. Yea, it's Portuguese. For those who can actually speak Portuguese: please excuse the following. It's a mixture of my own extremely basic knowledge of Portuguese and freetranslation.com. :(

Leonor (First wife of João II): João.

Leonor: Jooão...

Leonor: João?

Leonor: João?! Acorde-se João!

Leonor: Enfermeira, venha rápido!

A enfermeira: O que é ele?

Leonor
(Distressed): O João não acordar-se-á!

(João./ Jooão.../ João?/ João?! Wake up João!/ Nurse, come quick!/ Nurse: What is it?/ João won't wake up!)

November 4th
Merchant sent to Venice.

Yes.. well. *cough* Anyway. Looks kinda dirty in the end there. Probably should have left that last bit out. Oh well, João deserved to go out with a bang, even if it was a shitty bang. A Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Last edited:
Nice update; I definitely like the storytelling. Keep it up!

-Pat