• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(61489)

The Stoker
Oct 5, 2006
I'm thinking of doing a Portuguese AAR, sure there's been alot in the past but there hasn't been one in a while. It'll probably be mostly just be me reading out what goes on with maybe a slight amount of dialouge. I'll try to include screens and make it look as purdy as possible.

It won't be spectacular or nuffin' but I like the idea of documenting a GC campaign on the net and stuffs. Due to a lack on time it probably won't be updated us much as you people would like. Hell, it might not even get off the ground at all but, you know, watch this space.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it. Don't worry too much about the style; mine tend to be very dry and factual, while some others have AARs in an FPS perspective. And then there's Scotland Forever which is completely wacked, in a wonderful way. :D

-Pat

Would be very cool to see a new Portugal and a new EUI AAR. Looking forward to it, I am sure it shall be a great story

Accidental Post

Right, forenote time.

This AAR is attempting to be realistic, not historical in any fashion, but realistic. Example: I will keep my empire in the dark about newly discovered provinces untill the explorer/conquistador or members of their expedition returns home, I will not pursue lands that my 21st century brain knows of, that my 15th century, computer game counterparts have no idea of, ect.

Anytime you guys notice a grammatical or spelling error, tell me and it will be fixed. I'm slighty anal-retentive and would much prefer if this was all perfect, even if the content sucks. Same goes for if the color scheme, 'cause it looks preety sucky atm. Hell, anything you notice that looks silly or you disapprove of, just say so. Remember: It's your AAR too!

Color Scheme
Pale Green - Narration, mostly. Any dialouge will go here, probably.
Deep Sky Blue - The facts, they go under the dates.
Silver - Me talking to you guys, outside of everything, kinda like OOC. (changed! :) )
Various - Titles and headings and the like.

Anywho.. Onward and upward!

Last edited:
The (very) Begining

Part I : The (very) Beginning

1492 spelt the begining of change in Portugal. João II, the current monarch, had achieved very little since the death of his father, Afonso V, and his rise to the throne in 1481. He would not let himself be known as a caretaker monarch, he would make a imprint on the Portuguese Empire, no matter what it took. He spent the early days of January setting himself some goals in which to achieve during his reign, these included:
  • Explore a complete route to the Indian sub-continent and enter the spice trade
  • Establish a strong reputation in Europe (possibly a strong alliance)
  • Expand territory in North Africa, possibly a war against Morocco

His goals were presented to his advisors in the form of scribbles on the most up to date map in the Portuguese empire:

Portugal1500plans.jpg

The advisors aproved of his plans and preparations were made.​

January 7th
Six ships are sent from Lisboa southwards towards Africa, under the command of Flotilla Admiral Bartolomeu Dias. Three of these ships are small ships destined for the provinces of Dakar, Leone and the island of Fernando Po. The first two have orders to set up small trading posts, the third has orders to set up a colony with an operational port to assist in the return journey of the 3 remaining warships in the fleet, who will be attempting to find a safe route to India and the spice trade.

January 9th
A trader is sent to the COT of Andalusia and a diplomat is sent to Madrid to offer a personal gift of a magnum of fine wines from The Oporto vineyards to Fernando II of Aragon. A battalion of 1000 footmen are trained in Tangiers to enlarge the ranks of The Army of Faro.

On the 10th, João II was content. He has set the first stones in the foundations of The New Portuguese Empire. He could feel good times ahead, he could feel his name going down in history books.

Right, well that's it for now, very short, even shorter amount of time covered but, honestly, it'll get faster and more interesting.

Hopefully...

Last edited:
acci_dent said:
Color Scheme
Pale Green - Narration, mostly. Any dialouge will go here, probably.
Deep Sky Blue - The facts, they go under the dates.
Slate Gray - Me talking to you guys, outside of everything, kinda like OOC.
Various - Titles and headings and the like.
Maybe it's my monitor screen (the colors are dying out), but Slate Gray is hard to make out against the background color of posts.

-Pat

Wait... the game starts in 1492?
Otherwise, let's hope it gets really nice. Are you planning to do any European conquest, or only colonisation (unless opportunities are there of course)

Sounds like a good plan there, and getting to India early is a good strategy because you can get a lot of money from there, and that can be used to expand the empire even more. Good beginning, looking forward to more.

Slate gray changed to silver.

Battle bunny - Yes, it starts in 1492, I don't know why I had 1491 written, must have been tired or something, it's been changed. Thanks for the heads up. Also, Mostly colonisation, but will take European provinces if the opportunity arises.

On it goes

The rest of January went swimmingly for Portugal. The expedition left Lisboa without a hitch, Spain accepted the gift and the relations between the two countries greatly increased. Elsewhere, however, things were not so tranquil. The tension on the border of Spain and France was rising and the Spanish alliance was breaking up. João II, however, had no idea of these things and as far as he was concerned, Spain was free from hostilities and friendly towards Portugal. So everything was great.

Febuary 13th
Word is recieved from the merchant in Andalusia: the tension on the Spain/France border had reached melting point and it errupted into total warfare on the 10th. Due to the horrible condition of the Spanish alliance, Spain was only backed by Milan. France, however, was backed by Savoy, The Papal States, Brittany and Scotland.

The rest of Febuary tittered away with very little fighting since the initial outburst of Febuary 13th.

March 6th
The footmen in Tangiers finish their training, they march happily into the ranks of the Army of Faro. Word from the east tells of territory disputues between the Moslem empires of Turkey and The Mameluks.

March 19th
After many rumours that the bulking of ranks in Tangiers was to help defend from the rising power of Morocco, people begin to flee from Tangiers back to Portugal. This does not help the fledgling economy in the North African settlement. João II responded by annoncing that the province of Tangiers will remain unconqured and in the hands of The Portuguese Empire at the end of 5 years time. On the 20th, the territory disputes in the East escallate into war. Neither side is assisted by any other country.

April 5th
A message is recieved from the African province of Dakar, it appears to be from our settlers informing us that they have successfully set up a trading post. They said no more so we know nothing else of the rest of the expedition.

April 7th
A place in the military alliance of The Hanseatic Leauge (Pommerainia, Holstein & England) is offered to Portugal. The offer is accompanied with a proposition of royal marriage between Jorge, João II's illegitimate son, and Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire. Portugal accepted the offers and word was sent to the respective palaces on the 8th, along with a merchant to the COT of Mecklemburg.

April 12th
The rumours of maurauding Moroccans well and truly over, 3000 men begin training to become cavalry in the Army of Faro. A letter is recieved on the 15th from our merchant in Andalusia, it tells of the rebellion that was brewing in Grenada. The rebellion has been left unattended by Spain. It has spread further west towards our borders and is currently occupying Toldedo.

May 20th
A small marchant ship brings two colonists from Leone (Ivory Coast) and Fernando Po, informing us of success onn both accounts. The trading post in Leone was established on April 22nd while the colony in Fernando Po was successful on the 7th of May. They say that Dias' expedition was going well and that it had left Fernando Po on the 6th of May, unaware of the successful settling on the small island.

June 4th
News from the East. Turkey is moving quickly through Mameluk territory. Citizens begin to worry that this seemingly invincible army will push all the way through North Africa towards Tangiers. These outrageous ideas convince João II to ensure his people that he will do all in his power to prevent Turkey from reaching North Africa.

June 18th
Word from the Fraco-Spanish war: Milan has been kicked out of the war due to forced annexation by France. This leaves Spain alone against a growing rebellion in the South and a large, hostile army heading towards it's Northern borders.

The end of the 6 month mark leaves João II slightly melancholy. While he has succeded in achieving an alliance and is well on the way to colonisation in India. His Iberian neighbour has become quite weak with enemies on both sides. Still, it is not his fault. His plans for 'A New Portuguese Empire' can not be blamed for Spain's poor decisions. Overall, it had been a good 6 months.

Thar she goes, 2nd update. More time covered but a lack of screenshots (I forgot to take screenshots). Also, if you haven't already guessed, this AAR is going to progress very slowly.

Last edited:
Hm, your house rule is interesting. I have thought of a same idea earlier, when I wanted to play Austria: that each explorer can only bring 1 colonist then has to bring back news of success to expand it. Then I realised that Austria can only make colonies via maps. (Effectively at least.)
You could perhaps grab the opportunity, enter the French alliance and weaken Spain more. It's not even risky, since Spain usually attacks France first. Then again, your decision :)

Will be nice to get to know EUI a bit better. Forgive me, it's not your fault but rather me being tired, but I didn't really get a few things... First, why do you need Spain? Second, does Portugal own Andalusia?

Nice AAR. :)

Seems like you are making good progress, colonization on the African coast will give you some nice harbours to use for resting your ships on their way to India that is very good. Nice update :)

If Spain is getting hammered - perhaps Portugal should keep a weather eye out to see if she can get in on the act.