• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5952)

Second Lieutenant
Oct 4, 2001
Visit site
I am playing Portugal and just send a fleet of 50 ships to explore the Americas. Hlafway there though they die cause of being at sea for too long or form being Sick...

Earlier I have set up a colony halfway there and now that it was a city, it had a port.

Sadly though, My ships will not dock at the Port. Why is THAT?

It will seriously cut in ur atrition losses.

Say the attrition rate is 10% a month. On 50 ships u will lose 5 ships a month. With 3 ships u will lose 0 ships. U do the maths :D

Trust us on this one - the best formula for exploring as a human player is 3 ships (as stated because of the attrition factor):D

Exploring one or two sea lanes at a time and bringing that fleet back to port - then repeating is very effective in keep the explorer alive as well.

Oh, I trust you all right!

I suspected that might be the reason, because I have been successful at exploring one space at a time with just ONE ship, bringing it back to port, and etc.

So what makes 3 ships a better choice than 2 ships or 1 ship, like I did before?

Also, having more than 1 ship is useful if you've got an explorer commanding the fleet. With a 1-ship fleet, he dies if you lose it to attrition or in battle with another fleet. With 3 ships in your fleet, you can lose two of them and still bring your explorer back to port.

Steel

Attrition Rounding

You mention the 3-ships idea. Does the "0.3 of a ship lost" in attrition accumulate?
(If not, a 1-4 ship flotilla could never die of attrition, other than storms).

As a side note ...
I tried to take a 100-ship armada from The Canaries to India when I had no intermediary colonies. I figured that the 100 ships would cover attrition long enough to get there and base a colony for the way back. Of course, I'd lose a fair number of those 100 ships, but a good 20-30 should return ...
Then the explorer died just past Cape Horn. :eek:
*glug* goes the fleet. :(

Moral ... don't use F12 to coerce your merchants into funding invincible fleets.

Yes, I know this was a wasteful use of F12, but I wanted to see if it was possible...